[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

My office used to be right up the street from a bowling alley where my coworker was in a bowling league. He would regularly go to the office at 10-11 after bowling and respond to emails, usually from European and Australian customers.

Welp, just applied for a different position within my company. There's a position open for a trainer, so handling training for new hires.

Really hoping I get it because not only would that mean a handsome pay raise (and going from wage to salary for the first time in my life), but it would also mean not dealing with asshole customers anymore. Or nearly as much, anyway.

Only possible setback is one of the requirements is "3+ years of experience in facilitation," which....I don't have. I have course work experience from my education program (which I never completed because I dropped out early into the practicum). And I have my yoga teaching certificate...but I haven't taught any classes with it. So have a lot of book work but little actual teaching experience. Some, but not 3 years worth.

But I also have 3+ years with the company and know the system and policies like the back of my hand. I also have experience with other programs they use for training. I even briefly helped create some training videoes using PowToons. So I have all this knowledge and skills but not the experience.

I...highly doubt I'll get this job. But screw it, it's better trying, I guess, than being stuck where I am.

Last edited:
Don't worry.
I mean, yeah, worry, 'cause that's the way we're built, but don't let it turn to self-sabotage.
The opening probably asked for someone with 3 years teaching experience, 10 years of experience in the company, a PhD in educational science, 5 years in management, and 3 awards for customer service excellence... But that doesn't mean such a person exists, and even if they do, that they'd be interested in this job for this wage. You've got a valid combination of experience and training that would seem to be a good fit for such a role. Maybe someone else is a better fit this time, but really, it sounds like something that you could be good at, so... Good luck, and just don't second guess yourself too much.

Don't worry.
I mean, yeah, worry, 'cause that's the way we're built, but don't let it turn to self-sabotage.
The opening probably asked for someone with 3 years teaching experience, 10 years of experience in the company, a PhD in educational science, 5 years in management, and 3 awards for customer service excellence... But that doesn't mean such a person exists, and even if they do, that they'd be interested in this job for this wage. You've got a valid combination of experience and training that would seem to be a good fit for such a role. Maybe someone else is a better fit this time, but really, it sounds like something that you could be good at, so... Good luck, and just don't second guess yourself too much.
People have always said they could see me being a teacher. I never saw it, even WHILE doing my education program. My insecurities really got in the way of my life more often than not. But even now, I've mentioned the position to a few people at work and they've even said "Yeah, I could see you doing that."

I'm...still not trying not to get my hopes up.

Leaving on a work trip, on a plane, surrounded by filthy infidels to go work in the middle of nowhere leaving my sick family behind to fend for themselves. At a fucking reduced rate and I just fucking know they are gonna fuck up my pay. And if anything goes wrong, and I mean anything we won't be able to finish the job.

Welp, just applied for a different position within my company. There's a position open for a trainer, so handling training for new hires.

Really hoping I get it because not only would that mean a handsome pay raise (and going from wage to salary for the first time in my life), but it would also mean not dealing with asshole customers anymore. Or nearly as much, anyway.

Only possible setback is one of the requirements is "3+ years of experience in facilitation," which....I don't have. I have course work experience from my education program (which I never completed because I dropped out early into the practicum). And I have my yoga teaching certificate...but I haven't taught any classes with it. So have a lot of book work but little actual teaching experience. Some, but not 3 years worth.

But I also have 3+ years with the company and know the system and policies like the back of my hand. I also have experience with other programs they use for training. I even briefly helped create some training videoes using PowToons. So I have all this knowledge and skills but not the experience.

I...highly doubt I'll get this job. But screw it, it's better trying, I guess, than being stuck where I am.
Speaking as a guy who interviews and hires people, there is a member of my team right now who did not really fulfill the experience requirements in the job listing, but decided to apply anyway. One written test and one face-to-face interview later, she was hired. She's now considered an integral part of my department.

So yeah, give it a shot.

The fact that this individual is a hot girl has nothing to do with anything!

Speaking as a guy who interviews and hires people, there is a member of my team right now who did not really fulfill the experience requirements in the job listing, but decided to apply anyway. One written test and one face-to-face interview later, she was hired. She's now considered an integral part of my department.

So yeah, give it a shot.

The fact that this individual is a hot girl has nothing to do with anything!
So, if I get an interview, I should wear a low cut top to show off my tits. Got it.

If you really want to know what she was wearing, I talked about her in this post here.

To give a bit more detail, though, our job posting asks for two years of experience in Chinese-English translation or translation editing. However, she was a fresh graduate (and thus had no professional translation/editing experience) and her education was in Chinese-Spanish translation. However, since she's also a native English speaker, her skills in Chinese-Spanish translation could transfer pretty easily to Chinese-English, and she successfully demonstrated those skills in our written test and interview.

So, basically, yeah ideally we'd want someone with professional experience already, but in this case things worked out well, because she has repeatedly proven she can do the job. And while I can't speak for your company or predict how they would do things, I'd be willing to bet that their primary concern is also whether you can do the job, with those on-paper qualifications being nothing more than an ancillary issue.

If you really want to know what she was wearing, I talked about her in this post here.

To give a bit more detail, though, our job posting asks for two years of experience in Chinese-English translation or translation editing. However, she was a fresh graduate (and thus had no professional translation/editing experience) and her education was in Chinese-Spanish translation. However, since she's also a native English speaker, her skills in Chinese-Spanish translation could transfer pretty easily to Chinese-English, and she successfully demonstrated those skills in our written test and interview.

So, basically, yeah ideally we'd want someone with professional experience already, but in this case things worked out well, because she has repeatedly proven she can do the job. And while I can't speak for your company or predict how they would do things, I'd be willing to bet that their primary concern is also whether you can do the job, with those on-paper qualifications being nothing more than an ancillary issue.
The only time I've seen people rejected over not meeting exact requirements is for government functions where certain requirements are legally binding - i.e. "this job requires a Masters degree because it is slotted into function level A2 and that by law means you need a Masters" - where they then usually didn't care what the degree was in (hurray for all the people with useless degrees), or where no matter your experience, the job absolutely does need the professional qualification (you may have done 100 surgeries in your back yard, you're still not going to get hired as a surgeon at a hospital if you're not a doctor; you may have designed a lot of sand castles but if you're not technically an architect they're not going to let you design buildings).

Our jobs are very clearly marked with required undergraduate degree, professional qualifications, years of experience and second language requirements. So when I saw that broke for the first time I was shocked and still am.

First world problems: My apartment complex is small-ish. Only two rows of buildings. About 14 buildings, in two rows. Drive up one side, you get half the buildings. Drive up the other side, you get the other half.

The rant: The buildings are not numbered in any kind of logical order. It's just random. So telling Door Dash "I'm in building 7" doesn't help them at all, because my building is not between buildings 6 and 8. That's building 4. And it's on the wrong side.

The second rant: There are four entrances into the complex. The two entrances with signage don't bring you to the back of the complex where my apartment is. Because the front road and the back road don't actually meet. Why? Who knows. And the door dash navigator brings everyone to the entrance with signage, so I get to watch them on the app while they drive around trying to figure out how to get to my building.

I've taken to making a google map screenshot with big red annotations and texting it to my Door Dash driver as soon as I see they're picking up my order so that they don't wander around my complex for 10 minutes while my food gets cold.

Your first mistake was DoorDash. :p
I don't see anything wrong with it, now that they aren't stealing driver tips. You pay a guy or gal a few bucks to go pick up your food for you because you're too fucking lazy to do it yourself. I'd often do the same thing with my friends when we were having a house party or gathering. :p

I've only had one problem where some lady picked up my food and then sat in a bank parking lot for like a half-hour before delivering it to me. Most people seem to be trying to get as many orders completed an hour as they can, to make the most bank.

There is little as frustrating to me as when I have the germ of a joke in my head but I just can't tease it out to make it work.
If you’re lucky, and it’s close enough to the surface, your body may form a cyst around it so it can then be expelled.

—Patrick

First world problems: My apartment complex is small-ish. Only two rows of buildings. About 14 buildings, in two rows. Drive up one side, you get half the buildings. Drive up the other side, you get the other half.

The rant: The buildings are not numbered in any kind of logical order. It's just random. So telling Door Dash "I'm in building 7" doesn't help them at all, because my building is not between buildings 6 and 8. That's building 4. And it's on the wrong side.

The second rant: There are four entrances into the complex. The two entrances with signage don't bring you to the back of the complex where my apartment is. Because the front road and the back road don't actually meet. Why? Who knows. And the door dash navigator brings everyone to the entrance with signage, so I get to watch them on the app while they drive around trying to figure out how to get to my building.

I've taken to making a google map screenshot with big red annotations and texting it to my Door Dash driver as soon as I see they're picking up my order so that they don't wander around my complex for 10 minutes while my food gets cold.
going back to the time that I was a delivery driver,,,, I had a map of all the apartment complexes in my delivery area. and I used a red filter flash light to find you in 20 minutes or less...

Speaking of first world problems: We just planned our first vacation in a couple of years, and now I have to find someone to take care of a 100 pound dog who adores the four of us and doesn't like anyone else. Thanks to quarantine he's not used to other people at all, to the extent that I have to keep him muzzled for vet appointments, and I'm struggling to think of a local I can ask to stop by and take care of him or house sit for us.

Speaking of first world problems: We just planned our first vacation in a couple of years, and now I have to find someone to take care of a 100 pound dog who adores the four of us and doesn't like anyone else. Thanks to quarantine he's not used to other people at all, to the extent that I have to keep him muzzled for vet appointments, and I'm struggling to think of a local I can ask to stop by and take care of him or house sit for us.
Feel free to drop him off here :)

I have a friend who I honestly see more through other friends than really interact with on her own. I met her through a now dead D&D group, but she lives close to my best friend and they've become near inseparable. They hang out just about every weekend. She asked me out once, but I politely turned her down.

Anyway, she's...not going through an easy time right now. She hasn't worked for over a year, has been living off EI which has run out, and is now posting relatively often on Twitter about how she's not sure how she'll be able to feed her cats soon, let alone herself.

And I just...I feel powerless. I want to help, but on the other hand, I don't know what I could do. I could lend her some money, but that's not going to solve the problem. I'm struggling myself these days with depression, have called in sick multiple times, and am continually surprised I'm still employed. I want to reach out, but it's hard for me to hear other people's issues, especially when I'm dealing with things of my own. On the other hand, I'm starting to get really worried about this friend and think she might be on the verge of suicide. But...I don't know what if, anything, I could even do.

I have a friend who I honestly see more through other friends than really interact with on her own. I met her through a now dead D&D group, but she lives close to my best friend and they've become near inseparable. They hang out just about every weekend. She asked me out once, but I politely turned her down.

Anyway, she's...not going through an easy time right now. She hasn't worked for over a year, has been living off EI which has run out, and is now posting relatively often on Twitter about how she's not sure how she'll be able to feed her cats soon, let alone herself.

And I just...I feel powerless. I want to help, but on the other hand, I don't know what I could do. I could lend her some money, but that's not going to solve the problem. I'm struggling myself these days with depression, have called in sick multiple times, and am continually surprised I'm still employed. I want to reach out, but it's hard for me to hear other people's issues, especially when I'm dealing with things of my own. On the other hand, I'm starting to get really worried about this friend and think she might be on the verge of suicide. But...I don't know what if, anything, I could even do.
It would seem to me that your best friend (friend 'A'), being inseparable from you other friend (friend 'B'), might know B's circumstances best. And, being your best friend, may know something about your situation. Have you considered tactfully voicing your concerns to A, and hearing how A sees B's circumstances?

Personally I am of the view that it is far better for one to be in an okay place themselves before attempting to solve the problems of other people that one is not really responsible for. But if I were inclined to examine possibilities of helping in this case, or to see if people who know her best think I'm worried over nothing, something like that is how I might begin.

Oh, and as to lending money to friends, I wouldn't lend anything I'm not prepared to lose.

it is far better for one to be in an okay place [one's self] before attempting to solve the problems of other people that one is not really responsible for.
[...]
as to lending money to friends, I wouldn't lend anything I'm not prepared to lose.
I can anecdotally confirm these. SO much.

--Patrick

Like several others here, I suffer from serious bouts of depression. I'm currently at a bit of a low point, constantly stress eating, drinking more, not wanting to do things with other people, being completely and utterly unmotivated for my job, barely getting out of bed. I've been in worse places, admittedly, but still, I mean, it's more than "I'm a bit down".
I still work from home, but I've been spending literally over half my work hours just staring at walls. I also played through most of Warcraft 2 this week during working hours. I've literally maybe put in 6 or 7 hours of work this week.
And I STILL got 60% more work done (according to the metrics used by management) than the next colleague.

Which doesn't make me feel like I'm good at my job, but like I'm just doign a shitty job and I should be able to do more. But, you know, right now I can't. But why try to excel or do a great job? Even completely half assing it - heck, not even that - I'm still more than good enough. And doing 3x the work nets me absolutely 0 extra aside from some "appreciation".

Like several others here, I suffer from serious bouts of depression. I'm currently at a bit of a low point, constantly stress eating, drinking more, not wanting to do things with other people, being completely and utterly unmotivated for my job, barely getting out of bed. I've been in worse places, admittedly, but still, I mean, it's more than "I'm a bit down".
I still work from home, but I've been spending literally over half my work hours just staring at walls. I also played through most of Warcraft 2 this week during working hours. I've literally maybe put in 6 or 7 hours of work this week.
And I STILL got 60% more work done (according to the metrics used by management) than the next colleague.

Which doesn't make me feel like I'm good at my job, but like I'm just doign a shitty job and I should be able to do more. But, you know, right now I can't. But why try to excel or do a great job? Even completely half assing it - heck, not even that - I'm still more than good enough. And doing 3x the work nets me absolutely 0 extra aside from some "appreciation".
I went through a bit of this a long time ago in my career. I'm not the smartest or the best software developer. But I'm *fast*. I can grasp concepts and break them down into programming tasks easily. In every job I've had, I've been able to do work in a day or two that some of my colleagues might spend 4-6 weeks on.

On some point in my career, I realized there's no point in putting in full effort without the commensurate pay. If they didn't want to pay me 10 times the rate, why would I give them 10 times the output? I couldn't convince someone to pay me $1000/hour for just under a day's work, but I could convince them to pay me $150/hour for a week. Money worked out the same,the only difference was I didn't blaze out solutions. They got the same code, just later.

I used to really scream into the wind about it, but finally I just took "goofing off, so long as my work is getting done" as one of the perks of this kind of work coupled with my ability to get it done. Don't get me wrong. I'd be happy to provide full effort for the appropriate pay. But managers don't seem comfortable with that equation

There's a sort of unwritten expectation that if you're capable of putting out 120% the output of the next person, then you should be doing Output = 1.2*PersonB 100% of the time that you're on the clock, and that you're somehow expected to aggressively mantel up to more and more challenging positions until you finally find one that is a worthy opponent for your skillz.
Personally, I think that's bullshit. That's not a measure of your capacity, that's a measure of your reserve capacity. If you're capable of doing more (sometimes far more) than what the job actually requires, BUT you are comfortable and feel fulfilled doing what you are doing, then good for you. Enjoy a life with less stress, I guess. Get a hobby, play some games, chat online, do something that keeps you engaged when you're not actually working, and let all the Type A's live hard and die fast (or else get stuck up in a tree) like they want to.

--Patrick