[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

The new semester started this Monday. It is now Wednesday, and our timetable still hasn't been fully released. I have classes today that I still don't know which classrooms they're in.

Get it together, university.
That sounds like some of my nightmares I occasionally have about college...

I generally go to the auto place near where I work, since I spend more time near there anyway.
Went to work Tue an hour early to get my oil changed. “How long will it take?” “About 90min.” “Welp see you next time.”
-Today got up early to give me that extra 90min.
-Got done prepping about 15min too late, so I had the remaining 75min to sit down and really reflect on just how close I had come to success without actually achieving it.
-Spent 85min “reflecting” and almost missed my usual leave time, made it to work with only 4min to spare.
-Next chance I’m gonna have to do this is Feb 22, unless I want to leave for work at 7a tomorrow, which would mean going to bed tonight the instant I get home at 10. :(

—Patrick

I can't wait for this stupid cold to be over, I'm sick of my nostrils randomly clearing and reclogging, PICK A LANE NOSE! My head feels like a stormy cloud.

Date (see Minor Victory thread) cancelled on me because she had another date over the weekend that went unexpectedly well, and she didn't want to string me along.

I know I shouldn't be as grumpy about this as I am - and I appreciate her honesty, at least - but after seven years, it was nice to hope, for once.

6 inches of snow broke the city and our transit system almost completely. I waited an hour and a half to get on this morning only to have 8 trains arrive full, should have been 3 times that in that time. Also, only at the third station down the line and they were already full.

Eventually, I just went home to work from there which I'm grateful I have the option to do but don't like to unless it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Another history teacher at my school is going to be out for the rest of the week. She was here today, but she apparently she didn't prepare for the sub for the next 3 days.

Guess who just got told by the principal that they need to make 3 days worth of sub plans and email them tonight, even though I'll be here teaching my classes? This guy.

Fuck. Is it too much to ask that coworkers handle their shit so the rest of us don't have to cover for them?

We’re getting someone new in the top position at work because the main requirement isn’t experience, qualifications, having done the job before, meeting the actual requirements stated for the job or anything like that, it’s the arbitrary one of living where it was moved two years ago instead of where it was for the twenty years before that. So, new useless person will just get me to do everything, but take all the credit and get paid. Yay?
Post automatically merged:

Oh and it’s an older dude which matters. I don’t look my age and I don’t have boy parts, so I can’t be part of that club.

Customer: When do you have student deals?

Me: Usually at the start of the school year, in the fall.

Customer: Like, in June?

*headdesk*

Since when is June the start of any school year or in the fall?! Is this a climate change thing?!

Without knowing what kind of "student" you are dealing with, summer semesters at colleges start in June. Might've assumed you meant the beginning of all semesters.

Or they're dumb, I dunno.

Dave

Staff member
For our school, it goes like this:

July - September: Fall
October - December: Winter
January - March: Spring
April - June: Summer

So maybe they are just confused about the school's terminology. I mean, January is SPRING?!? WTF?

GasBandit

Staff member
Had to smack Underling 1 upside the head with a ream of paper today because dumbass sent the wrong commercial log to the wrong station, and so I got to walk into a panic-in-progress at the office this morning.

GasBandit

Staff member
Easy to do or a massive fuckup?
Much ado about nothing. Everything was where it was supposed to be, doing what it was supposed to do, but because station X got station Y's commercial log on paper, people were panicking that EVERYTHING IS WRONG AND THIS IS HUGE OMG and they ran in to the general manager and worked him into an irritated panic too and I got to walk into all that and have 3 people stand in my office looking at me as I "figured out what happened" and then I stood up, walked over to underling 1, and smacked him in the head with the paper log. "This is station Y's log with Station X's cover sheet stapled to it."

And now everything's fine, but still, that was unpleasant for everyone involved. But yeah, if what had been feared had happened had really happened, this would be in the real rant thread.

I had an x-ray on my shoulder due to chronic pain on Tuesday. I learned today that I have a 18mm calcium deposit in my shoulder, The doctor recommended a cortisol shot. Anyone have experience with those?

It definitely loosens up your shoulder, and makes it bearable to lift your arm up. You do have to build strength for the rest, though.

The shot itself will hurt like an absolute motherfucker. And afterwards the shoulder will still be sore for 2-3 days. But then it should suddenly feel much, much better.

At least, that’s been my experience with cortisone shots thus far.

Work is ordering me some gorgeous ergonomic furniture and equipment after the assessment I had last summer. I’m not supposed to use any of it without the assessor training me.

I tried to email the person who did the assessment all fall and run quotes by her and ask questions etc. She ignored every email. I decided to try one last time. She responded and is shitting all over the chair I picked. Not literally.

I just wrote back and reminded her of the fact that I tried to reach her how many times? The chair will be awesome even if the arm rests don’t rotate 360 degrees.

Should I have run the quote by her? Yes? But given that she ignored every email I sent for six months, I didn’t bother. I’m honestly shocked that she bothered to open this one.

The shot itself will hurt like an absolute motherfucker. And afterwards the shoulder will still be sore for 2-3 days. But then it should suddenly feel much, much better.

At least, that’s been my experience with cortisone shots thus far.
My nerve blocks in my SI go like that too. They freeze the area so for the most part, the tunneling needle doesn’t hurt (unless it goes past the freezing), but there is no way to freeze a joint so injecting the joint in several locations is hideous and hurts for a few days, but is much better after. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting diminishing returns on my left side. The right lasts six months as it’s meant to.

They give me a lovely IV though so I don’t care.

Watched a flick with my bud on that Rabbit app yesterday, UGH-the picture gets SO crappy for most of the time, only cleared up near the end of the film! I just KNOW they're doing that on purpose to con people into buying "Rabbit premium" so people will basically pay TWICE for streaming services they all ready own, just you wait, its gon' happen.

Watched a flick with my bud on that Rabbit app yesterday, UGH-the picture gets SO crappy for most of the time, only cleared up near the end of the film! I just KNOW they're doing that on purpose to con people into buying "Rabbit premium" so people will basically pay TWICE for streaming services they all ready own, just you wait, its gon' happen.
I use the Rabbit website for this a lot with my friends. The website is MUCH better than the app right now.

Went to work Tue an hour early to get my oil changed. “How long will it take?” “About 90min.” “Welp see you next time.”
-Next chance I’m gonna have to do this is Feb 22
Missed the 22nd but made it today with 100min before work only to be told, “We have a 3hr wait right now.”
OH COME ON

—Patrick

Missed the 22nd but made it today with 100min before work only to be told, “We have a 3hr wait right now.”
OH COME ON

—Patrick
I was going to say that wait times tend to not stay static, but I chose not to. Can't you call ahead to find this stuff out? Or make an appointment?

Can't you call ahead to find this stuff out? Or make an appointment?
Yes to both, but they don’t honor appointments for oil changes, wipers, air filters, any of that “express service” kind of stuff, it’s all done FIFO. And since it takes about an hour for me to get there, their situation can change radically by the time I get there. Also, ain’t no way I’m gonna leave for work 4-1/2hrs early just for an oil change.

I considered just leaving the car behind for service and walking from there to work and back (it’s only 2-3 miles, after all), but my lunch hour today isn’t until 4p...which happens to also be when they close.

—Patrick

Don’t think I haven’t considered it!
See, I took it to a place closer to where I live for its first oil change, and when they gave it back to me all finished up, I asked if there was anything else I should know about, and they were all, “Nope! Here’s your bill!”
But then when I went to investigate my check engine light coming on, I found that the engine air intake filter was a uniform opaque dark grey, with leaves and junk all stuck in it. So I changed it myself, and that’s why I go to a different place now even though it’s farther away.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Gah! Just got an email where every word was bolded, written in comic sans and every paragraph was a unique fluorescent colour.