[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Dave

Staff member
Loves intelligent people. Education: High School.

Ethnicity: Virgo

I've seen fewer red flags at a Chinese flag factory.

It's a shame the NFL uses red flags for challenges instead of penalties. I would've had a great joke about her and the Saints game.

Only part of this I disagree on is education = intelligence. I've met some pretty smart people who didn't do any post-secondary education. There's also different kinds of intelligence that aren't strictly book smart.

Not that any of that applies to this judgemental loon, but I just wanted to say that.

With backhanded love for our local "Not that kind of doctor" doctors :p
Oh hey, it's half my PhD users back when I did IT for the university. The combination of "I have more than enough political power to get you fired if you cross me" and "I'm an utter buffoon who should not be trusted with anything using an electrical current" was one of the sadder parts of the job.

Dave

Staff member
This conversation is one of the reasons I didn't continue on & get my PhD in Management. I don't feel that would be a good enough reason to make people call me "Doctor".

Interestingly, the term "Doctor" was appropriated by medical doctors looking to be seen as legitimate. Thus, the M.D.s are the real posers.
One of the pettiest pleasures I have in my job is telling Ph.D people that in French, they straight-up don't get to be called Dr. So-And-So unless they're medical doctors. I've seen SO MUCH butt-hurt from arrogant ass-hats...

Edit: But I didn't know that about M.D.s co-opting the title. Thanks MindDetective!

One of the pettiest pleasures I have in my job is telling Ph.D people that in French, they straight-up don't get to be called Dr. So-And-So unless they're medical doctors. I've seen SO MUCH butt-hurt from arrogant ass-hats...

Edit: But I didn't know that about M.D.s co-opting the title. Thanks MindDetective!
That's right, I remember that in the late middle ages and renaissance, lawyers were "a doctor of laws" while a medical doctor was "a chirurgeon" (surgeon) or "an apothecary" (internal, usually herbal medicine). That even comes up in The Merchant of Venice - Portia claims to be a Doctor of Laws when she arbitrates Shylock's contract with Lorenzo.

When I run into the "I've already tried everything" or "I'm an engineer" folks, I prefer to let them trip up on their own puffery.

--Patrick

This conversation is one of the reasons I didn't continue on & get my PhD in Management. I don't feel that would be a good enough reason to make people call me "Doctor".
I don't think I've ever been called Dr drawn_inward (at least not sincerely). Most everyone in the universities that I have been to use first names. I've had professors in classes insist on being called Dr though. I find the title a bit awkward, especially if I have to explain "not that kind of Dr".

Only you silly English speakers have the problem, the difference between a physical doctor and an actual Dr. is normally pretty obvious in other languages. Of course, in most places doctors have to be Dr. in medicine to be allowed to practice, but still.
I find it perfectly normal to address people with a doctorate as doctor, even outside of academia.

I skid into a snowbank, ended up destroying a tire so I had to get my car towed. Given the forecast for tomorrow, I'm not sure the repair shop it was taken to will even be open tomorrow so not only am I gonna have to burn a personal day tomorrow, I might have to friday as well. So I get a wonderful day off where I have to wake up early to handle this bullshit. I'm so fucking sick of winter and living here but I'm too much of a coward to actually take the risk to do something about it.

Dave

Staff member
Welp, it's official: My new pay balance does not pay all of our bills. I knew the garnishment would take a bite but holy crap. Instead of having $400 or so left over after bills, we're now under about $120 a month. So it's cutting time. Bye bye monthly charity (sorry, poor kids!), bye bye Humble Monthly. See ya, cable!

Luckily my son pays rent now (about $350 a month) and my wife just got a raise. We'll be fine, but have to actually budget instead of paying stuff all at once will be a pain.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm keeping myself anonymous as I don't want even the slightest chance of my friends thinking I'm treating them as burdens but...I have a lot of friends with mental issues, and often times I feel they treat me as a therapist, and its like...WHY?! Why do people with dysfunctional personalities clamor to me, why do they ask me for comfort and easy answers to their problems, when I am JUST a man?! And I HATE writing dysfunctional personalities, as I have massive anxiety myself so who the FUCK am I to judge but also-WHY DO PEOPLE THINK I FAN SOLVE THEIR FUCKING PROBLEMS?!

I feel like if you remove the gender-specific language, that's a complaint made by probably 40% of this forum, minimum.
And the short answer is...because we tend to listen?

--Patrick

my easy way to get people off my back was to drop my filter and just talk to them about their problems and things i thought might help them deal with them. those people rapidly disappeared once i was making an effort to take what they were telling me and offer them solutions. Turns out they just wanted someone to whine to about it, so problem solved -_-.

So, yesterday as I was biking home, my chain slipped loose and I had to walk the last 10 minutes or so. No big deal, I know how to put it back on. So today, I tried that, opened up the chain guard and guess what? Turns out the chain hadn't slipped off the gears but was actually broken at one of the links. Goooooddamnit. I can take it to a repairman, but ugh.

I am so sick and fucking tired of putting up with my students' bullshit. There's always an excuse about why the stupid and/or fucked up thing they just did wasn't really their fault.

I had one kid have her dad write an email to tell me that I shouldn't assign a big project (despite spending 4 days in class working on it), because it interferes with her relaxing time at home. How will she have time to go swimming? When will she be able to watch TV and play with her dog? These are actual complaints sent to me about the fact that she might have to put in some extra time on a big project.

Tell the students to go staple two papers together. Watch as a giant crowd gathers around the table where the TWO staplers are. "What's the problem?" I ask. "There's no staples" is the chorus I get in reply. Apparently, rather than refill either stapler or tell me so I can refill it, these 8-10 students would rather stand and fucking stare at an empty stapler until I yell at them from across the room.

ARGH!

I am so sick and fucking tired of putting up with my students' bullshit. There's always an excuse about why the stupid and/or fucked up thing they just did wasn't really their fault.

I had one kid have her dad write an email to tell me that I shouldn't assign a big project (despite spending 4 days in class working on it), because it interferes with her relaxing time at home. How will she have time to go swimming? When will she be able to watch TV and play with her dog? These are actual complaints sent to me about the fact that she might have to put in some extra time on a big project.

Tell the students to go staple two papers together. Watch as a giant crowd gathers around the table where the TWO staplers are. "What's the problem?" I ask. "There's no staples" is the chorus I get in reply. Apparently, rather than refill either stapler or tell me so I can refill it, these 8-10 students would rather stand and fucking stare at an empty stapler until I yell at them from across the room.

ARGH!
So they are ready to enter the workforce.

Cajungal

Staff member

ARGH!
Sometimes my kids bring me trash they found on the floor.

The new semester started this Monday. It is now Wednesday, and our timetable still hasn't been fully released. I have classes today that I still don't know which classrooms they're in.

Get it together, university.