[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and today I learn we're going to be carrying football games again this year. Starting next week. Nothing like letting us know in time enough to make sure it doesn't sound like garbage/fall apart on air.

On the Fast-cheap-good triumvirate man does this place hammer the button for "fastcheap."

GasBandit

Staff member
So very sick of ads with "one wierd tip/trick/hint" etc. They've even crossed over into radio.

Here, make your adblocker so much better by adding this one wierd filter -

||cdn.taboolasyndication.com/libtrc/*

Gets rid of the syndicated "you may also like from around the web" shit.

I am heretoafter referred to as the office bully after having made one of the older female managers in the office sob for an hour after a closed door chat with me.

This would bother me more if her staff hadn't been cheering for me outside afterwards and her peer manager emailing me on the sly telling me that she loves me.

GasBandit

Staff member
This would bother me more if her staff hadn't been cheering for me outside afterwards
Literally? Like, you opened the door to let her go after you were done savaging her, and her staff were out there screaming in adulation and offering high fives?

Literally? Like, you opened the door to let her go after you were done savaging her, and her staff were out there screaming in adulation and offering high fives?
I opened the door to her office and walked out and there was no one there. I walked back to my office (On the other side of the street) and all of her staff were outside cheering and flashing their chests at me.

Literally.

Well, I'm sure MY boss will have some problems with me making another person cry at the office. Something something feelings something something empathy.
She's not saying what you did was wrong, exactly, just how you chose to approach it.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Boy oh boy I can't wait for 10-20 years from now, when we're making fun of how people used to do this -

you know... if we're still able to actually make physical movements in the real world after our iBrains' wetware is jacked directly into FaceTwitterGram.

Got promoted at work. Course what that means is after I sought interest in the Hotel Assistant Manager position they said "Oh.... well we kinda want you to stay overnights. You can be the.... Overnight Manager!" So I wait 3 months to be the "Overnight Manager" and finally they say to me "we can't find anyone else for the H.A.M... you want the job?" So I agree. Find out that there will be no need for an overnight manager (surprise surprise) and finally take on my new position. The other H.A.M is completely new to the position, much younger, and basically asks me all the tough questions. Well she makes 40k. So I'm thinking, oh. I'll get that too. Nope. 35k, and I do all the work. 12 hour shift today. Boy I'm glad for that 2 dollar pay raise and no overtime pay. Certainly would have hated getting $84 today instead of $16.

Got promoted at work. Course what that means is after I sought interest in the Hotel Assistant Manager position they said "Oh.... well we kinda want you to stay overnights. You can be the.... Overnight Manager!" So I wait 3 months to be the "Overnight Manager" and finally they say to me "we can't find anyone else for the H.A.M... you want the job?" So I agree. Find out that there will be no need for an overnight manager (surprise surprise) and finally take on my new position. The other H.A.M is completely new to the position, much younger, and basically asks me all the tough questions. Well she makes 40k. So I'm thinking, oh. I'll get that too. Nope. 35k, and I do all the work. 12 hour shift today. Boy I'm glad for that 2 dollar pay raise and no overtime pay. Certainly would have hated getting $84 today instead of $16.
It's time to go HAM and demand you get payed for the work you do.

Boy oh boy I can't wait for 10-20 years from now, when we're making fun of how people used to do this -

you know... if we're still able to actually make physical movements in the real world after our iBrains' wetware is jacked directly into FaceTwitterGram.
I'd lose my temper if my friends were like this. Fucking hell.

Early tomorrow I have a meeting about the employee who has caused me so much stress. There's not going to be a 'good' outcome to the meeting, in all likelihood. Nonetheless, just having the meeting should lower my overall stress. So. There's that silver lining.

I'd laugh, but some of my friends are really, 100% like this, without any exaggeration. As in, literally literal. It's sad, and I find myself spending less time with them because I can actually have more interaction with them on a pc than when I'm in front of them. Texting/taking pictures in restaurants, at a museum, at the beach, etc etc. Luckily I still have non-iPeople friends too. (no, this isn't limited to the iPhone/iPad/iPod/iPenis crowd, same goes for other brand's users. I just like making fun of Apple fans.)

I'm doing tonight the most boring job in my arsenal of boring things I do regularly. Scene security.

So I sit here in my car, with my laptop on my knees and wait until I am relieved at 8 am tomorrow morning. I wish I had bought a gaming laptop.

The following post may be a bit whiny so feel free to ignore it if you so desire.

I have been trying to redefine my life over the past few years and I have made some improvements. I have lost weight, gotten into better shape, learned new skills, started new hobbies, tried to be more outgoing, be more true to myself, etc. But still have no real idea what I want to do with my life. I don't know if this is the best word to describe it but I feel broken. I look at everyone else and they seem so much more together, I know that I am just comparing their best times with my worst times but knowing that doesn't seem to help.

I am 27 and I feel like I should have a better grasp on my life at this point. I have never had a girlfriend and I have only had a couple of dates in my life. I have very few friends and most of the people I hang out with are probably closer to acquaintances than anything else. Half the time I am plagued by the feeling that when they do hang out with me it is more of a sympathy thing than anything else. I try to tell myself that isn't true but the thoughts are usually just lurking in the back of my mind. I feel like a huge part of my problem is that I feel socially inept, I know I am an introvert and I understand that but at the same time I know it shouldn't be inhibiting me this much. As I mentioned earlier I have been trying to be more outgoing but it usually feels like it is all for naught.

The weirdest thing is that I feel like I have two personalities. Most of the time I feel like I am a robot just moving through life trying to understand these strange creatures around me and yet some times I can get super excited over things but usually they are things that no one else seems to share my excitement over. I am also almost always plagued by the feeling that I don't deserve what I have in life and that at any moment everyone is going to realize that and it will all be yanked away. I know it isn't true and I try to push the thoughts out of my mind but like the thoughts about my friends the thoughts are never far away.

I think what really concerns me is that I thought all those changes I have been making would make my life easier. And while they have made some parts easier and I feel more happy than I did several years ago I still feel like I am broken. I feel like I am not functioning as well as everyone else and that either no one else notices because I can put up a strong face or they do realize and I am the friend/coworker who people pity. I don't feel like this all the time and I try my best to keep these thoughts out of my mind but they are never far away and have there way of popping up on me.

Okay that concludes the whining session

I am assuming that you are not married, @Hylian.

Do you know what happens when you get married? When you are forced to live and interact with someone day in and day out? You get to know them pretty well. The most successful marriages are those where one partner is confronted with (and no longer able to avoid nor gloss over) the shortcomings/insecurities/banalities of the other partner, yet they are overshadowed by those characteristics which are most positive. You may look at other people and think they have everything together, but of course you are only seeing the public face of that person. Everyone has their insecurities, and if you dig deep enough into their personality, you'll find uncomfortable truth atop embarrassing habit covering hidden terrors and on and on, all the way down.

So to this I say, congratulations on getting to know yourself better and deciding to spend the rest of your life with yourself. Here's hoping you discover the two of you were made for one another.

--Patrick

Ah yes. I wasn't aware it was that widespread. I thought it was just a clever SEO manip but I guess it goes deeper than that. I completely understand why they'd want to can that system.

GasBandit

Staff member
"Reply Girls"?
If you never suffered the irritation of being fooled by a "reply girl" video in the last 3 years, I envy you. Either that or you don't actually surf around on youtube much.

Reply girls are young women who make videos of themselves talking to the camera about absolutely nothing (sometimes it's just literally word salad), but they wear cleavage-baring or otherwise revealing clothing so that their thumbnails trick dumb, horny guys into clicking on their video replies. Because of the way youtube tracked clicks on videos, this made the Reply Girls float to the top of the related video chain on many topics, pushing actual related content out of view.

For more reading: http://www.dailydot.com/tags/reply-girls/

I'm actually really damn happy that there are no video replies anymore. Say what you need to say in the comments or that youtubers facebook/twitter account.

Yes. Some people are a little upset about that.

I know I am.

I'm actually really damn happy that there are no video replies anymore. Say what you need to say in the comments or that youtubers facebook/twitter account.

I agree with you that there were a LOT of shit-tastic video replies... but I always liked watching something like a music video and then seeing lots of people posting their own covers of the music video as video replies. I guess I just liked the idea of being able to link related/inspired videos to eachother (minus the reply girl and inane chatter crap that frequently was posted).

but I always liked watching something like a music video and then seeing lots of people posting their own covers of the music video as video replies. I guess I just liked the idea of being able to link related/inspired videos to eachother (minus the reply girl and inane chatter crap that frequently was posted).
That's what the sidebar is for.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's what the sidebar is for.
... and being a video reply was commonly how google knew which videos to put in that sidebar. There's no "put my video in the sidebar of this video" check box when you upload a video.

Well, there was... it was generally called "Video reply."

... and being a video reply was commonly how google knew which videos to put in that sidebar.
Or you know, it was related content. Automated Google has no idea what the content of the video is (it can't watch the video and define it.... yet), it's defined by things like title and views/comments.