[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Basically. Watchmen actually addressed this kind of thing by having Dr. Manhattan using his powers to make cheap, efficient long-distance electrical cars a possibility by synthesizing large quantities of the elements you'd need to make the batteries. It really didn't change things that much because people were still clogging the most efficient arteries in their attempts to get around. Short of having full on teleportation available for people 24/7 (like Star Trek) your always going to have this problem.

Basically. Watchmen actually addressed this kind of thing by having Dr. Manhattan using his powers to make cheap, efficient long-distance electrical cars a possibility by synthesizing large quantities of the elements you'd need to make the batteries. It really didn't change things that much because people were still clogging the most efficient arteries in their attempts to get around. Short of having full on teleportation available for people 24/7 (like Star Trek) your always going to have this problem.
Ooooooooooooooh yeah, Watchmen. I'm still doing my idea down the road though.

Speaking of Watchmen, how many issues of Before Watchmen AREN'T you buying? I'm not buying like the whole series!

Someone broke the JavaScript that powers one of the more important aspects of my job, and also one of the more important aspects of the legal department's job as it relates to account contents and subpoenas; and apparently no one noticed until now. Now I get to scrounge around in the code, figure out which calls are failing and why, see if I can put together a patch that will work across all accounts or if the repairs would account-specific, find a workaround for all of the cases I've already closed, find out who owns the tool that this code is a part of, send them a copy of the patch, and hope that they actually bother to fix it.

Edit: Heh... it's worse than I thought. It appears to have been a conscious effort by someone (probably a vendor, because FTEs know better than to pull this kind of shit), to lock things down so they only work in IE a screwup by someone who didn't know how to appropriately call and XML document in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox; because IE 8 is different than IE 5, 6, and 7. That'll be great for all of my customers except the ones who use Apple computers. At least now I can tell most of my customers that we only support IE 8; but that doesn't bode well for a company that's been sued for anti-trust as many times as we have.

fade

Staff member
I'm not sure if that Trope article says it, but it's been addressed in-universe in Marvel. Some baloney explanation about how it would wreck the world's economy if the super-tech was unleashed on the masses all at once.

I'm not sure if that Trope article says it, but it's been addressed in-universe in Marvel. Some baloney explanation about how it would wreck the world's economy if the super-tech was unleashed on the masses all at once.
Oh sweet satan, not the economy excuse! They could easily gradually introduce said technology and train people so they'd have those careers.

GasBandit

Staff member
Been trying to order a dell all afternoon. Pity the website got borked almost immediately after sending out their e-mail flyers. Bet they're doing BRISK BUSINESS today.
unimpressed.gif

Today I got messaged by a black girl on OKCupid, which said

I checked this girl's profile and I'm not interested in her really, and she's not terribly attractive. I'd be well within my rights to not answer her, but will she think I'm a racist? Hm.
The future of our country's race relations require that you hit it.

Been trying to order a dell all afternoon. Pity the website got borked almost immediately after sending out their e-mail flyers. Bet they're doing BRISK BUSINESS today. View attachment 9013
Had the same thing happen with an AT&T sale on tablets. Click the link, get no response for 2 or 3 minutes, and then a page apologizing for their inability to respond to my request. It seems like companies should know about this shit by now.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not ranting about this, but others in the office are - Fedex lost our paychecks. People are shitting bricks. Heh. Glad I got direct deposit.

Yeah, that possibility (along with mail theft) as well as the sheer amount of hell I have to go through to deposit a check at my CU means I will always have direct deposit. Shitty time for checks to go missing though.

I'm not ranting about this, but others in the office are - Fedex lost our paychecks. People are shitting bricks. Heh. Glad I got direct deposit.
Why in the name of the Holy Hand Grenade would people not have direct deposit nowadays? Is there a downside that I don't know about?

GasBandit

Staff member
Mostly it's either the extremely old who just want the check in their hand (despite still getting something check-LIKE with DD), and the extremely part-time who put in less than 10 hours a week. And the stupid, of course. Not that that narrows it down.

We need Shego to come back and tell us just how bad a person's banking history has to be before a bank will refuse them service.
Actually, we just need Shego to come back.

Usually if they have a force closed account in the last 12 months they won't open a checking account. You might be able to get a savings account, since you can't overdraw them, but it depends on how much of a bill you've racked up elsewhere.

I love my direct deposit, couple of people at my work (full time workers) that are always "Are the checks here yet?" the day before payday, because they've gotta run to the bank at lunch the next day and get it in their account. I always pick on them by saying something like "Mine's already in the bank, we get paid early with direct deposit."

Teachers who don't notify the class of cancellation via email and just leave a "class canceled" sign on the locked lab door. Thanks for the gas and parking pass money wasted, jerk.

Teachers who don't notify the class of cancellation via email and just leave a "class canceled" sign on the locked lab door. Thanks for the gas and parking pass money wasted, jerk.
This times a thousand. Especially if your teacher is a damn part timer, meaning you won't even be notified if the class is freakin' cancelled!

My graphics card died a short while ago. My friends know this. My friends (a married couple) also just replaced their computers.

Friend A: "Do you want our old graphics card?"

Me: "Oh yeah, that would be great!"

Friend A: "Okay, we'll sell it to you for $100."

Me: "Oh... uh, now's not a good time. I'll pass."

Friend B: "Okay... what if we sold it to you for $50?"

Me: "No, sorry."

Now, I genuinely don't have the cash to spend on that right now. It's just that time of year when my budget is stretched and I don't need the graphics card right now. I don't need to spend the money. I was a little disappointed that they weren't just giving it to me, considering that they currently are using some living room furniture I gave them for free (including their couch). But whatever.

Fast forward to this week:

We all meet up with a mutual friend. The mutual friend starts talking about how the couple are replacing their computer; what are they going to do with the old parts? The couple respond with some vague answer.

Mutual friend: "What about that graphics card I gave to you guys?"

Me: "Wait, what? That was your graphics card??"

Mutual friend: "Yeah, their card broke a while back so I gave them one to use."

Me: "Is this the same one you were trying to sell me?"

Friend B: "Yeah..."

Me: "What.the.fuck."

Mutual friend: "Oh, did you need a graphics card? You should just take the one I gave them since they don't need it anymore."

Me: "Yeah, thanks."

So two of my friends were trying to sell me computer parts they no longer have a use for rather than return a favor, and it turns out they got that part from someone else for free in the first place. Lovely.

What the hell is it about my lawn that cats find so fucking alluring? They dig up my dads cover crops, they make the dogs bark non-stop, GET OFF OF MY DAMN LAWN! Go pose for a meme or something. I would be fine if they would just let me pet them but NOOOOOOOO they walk away! My neighbor cats are jerks.

So, as an update to the issue with XML calling that I referenced on the previous page... I've been looking at this thing all wrong. Turns out the new XML call works in the current version of Firefox (17) and in IE 8 or higher. IE 8's most strenuous system requirement is WindowsXP SP2, with 64MB of RAM, and a 233 MHz processor. Firefox requires 512MB of RAM for a WinXP computer. If you can't give me at least that much to work with, I can't keep supporting your legacy computer.

So yeah, this fucking Verizonbot calls me today and tells me to get off their call list I have to dial this long ass number. Luckily for me, my memory was working this time and I typed it in. However rather than automatically taking me off the list like a NORMAL call machine, it sent me to a representative. And he told me that the site for taking people off the call list just HAPPENED to be down. So yeah, I am probably going to be called by them a bunch of times real soon.