[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Does anyone else have a problematic friend like this?

Week 1:
"My life sucks. I had to ask my mom to cover my rent. I barely have enough cash for food and gas as it is."

Week 2:
"You should come over and check out the new tabletop games I bought! I went over to the local game store, got _________, and then I bought all 4 expansions for it."

(Question from me) "How much did that cost?"

"Not much, about $120. Oh, hey, when you come over you should also check out *latest video game*"

There is definitely a point when your money troubles are self-inflected, and I no longer have any sympathy for your plight. Stop being a dumbass.

Also: whoops, wrong thread.
Added at: 17:25

There is definitely a point when your money troubles are self-inflected, and I no longer have any sympathy for your plight. Stop being a dumbass.
Yeah I definitely have a friend who struggles to make cra, rent and credit card payments, but insists on seeing every single movie that comes out.

Yep, I had (keyword: had) a friend who was like that. Constantly struggling to pay rent and buy food and gas to get his wife to work, living on unemployment because he couldn't/wouldn't get a job (he was one of those people who was unemployed until his unemployment money ran out, but was too good to take a fast food job), constantly having to pawn electronics to make ends meet, but then as soon as they got a tax refund they went out and bought a $1300 TV (which they could have got for half that through anyone other than Best Buy, but needed Best But to deliver and install it), a PS3, new gaming laptops for himself and his wife, and a ton of new games. Then, of course, they couldn't afford rent and food again, so they pawned a bunch of their new games for like, $10 each, or sold them on eBay or Craigslist; and then upon getting paid again would go out and rebuy those same games and/or systems for full price, only to have to pawn them again the next month and rebuy them again and again and again. It drove me crazy.

I had a friend that was worse. he was a poor rich kid. He'd go to the bar with my group of friends. He'd buy drinks for everyone and put it on his tab, and drink top shelf liquor all night... then when it came time to pay his tab... "Uh, say dude, could you like cash this third party check for $847.50 for me?" The bastard was getting something like $2,000 a month from his parents - as spending money (1989 dollars.) Then he was too lazy to pop over to the bank to cash his checks from his lawyer...

I have no idea how much coke he had to have been doing... Actually I think he spent most of his cash on Golf, playing PGA Tour quality courses several times a week.

But there were several times that our group of friends had to cover for his expensive ass at the bars.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ohhh yes, I know someone. And it's so blatant it's stupid. Apparently lives 1 paycheck from the street, can't get enough food or fix the car, but was playing Diablo 3 on release day!

My best friend is not that bad, but she has made some financial decisions that make no sense to me. She got divorced about 4 years ago. She does not get spousal or child support from her ex-husband. She didn't want it because it would complicate things! She also has no health insurance and can only get a part-time job despite having her degree in early childhood education. So her ex has a good paying job and lives in a decent house (which had been the marital home) with his girlfriend -who has also listed him as her landlord so she can get food stamps. Yet for a few months in the last 2 years my best friend was essentially homeless. But rather than saving her money for what's important, like insurance or getting an apartment where her kids can stay with her more often, she's gotten three new large tattoos and goes out with friends as much as possible. Sometimes I feel bad for her because she has had some awful luck. And then there are days when I want to shake her for making stupid decisions.

Uggggh I know so many people like this. It's maddening. It can be personally offensive too, when, say, your girlfriend gets you a token gift on your birthday because money is tight and buys herself a television. It's not that I'm crazy about gifts, but, uhm...what. That was a fun relationship. My brother is especially awful for spending money he doesn't have. He once spent a night buying all the drinks for his friends at a bar, and paid for a limosine to drive everyone home. His explanation as "Well, they couldn't afford it!" Yeah, but, uh, neither could you, dumbass.

Myself and a friend one day questioned another friend about his complete lack of responsibility with credit cards. It went exactly like this:

Friend One: Dude, why do you spend money you don't have?

Friend Two: So I can buy things I can't afford.

Nutshell.

I had a rat and she ended up chewing a hole through my favorite red hot chili peppers shirt...

As I stood above it's grave, tears rolling down my face, I raised my fist to the sky and I swore I'd never have to bury another shirt as long as I lived..

^He decided he would take on the persona of the very thing that caused his pain. Now, no shirt will ever suffer again thanks to . . .

RATMAN!

I feel for you, Sin. I recently realize my Vampire:the Masquerade shirt (with what looks like a Brujah clan vampire on it) got lost. I loved that shirt and they don't make them anymore.
This brought up an old wound. I used to have a Bad Religion t-shirt that I loved. My sister wanted to borrow it one day and I let her...and it never came back.

She denies to this day that I ever loaned it to her...but I have a picture of her in it. Even when faced with such damning evidence she claims it was her friends shirt, not mine.

I don't want it any more...I just wish I knew what happened to it that needed to be covered with such obvious lies.

I am an uncouth rascal.

Earlier this evening, I met in the stairs the lady living one floor up. She told me that she had forgotten her keys inside, and her husband had told her on the phone that he could make it back home in about an hour. And I didn't have the common decency to ask her in for coffee or tea or something while she waited, and instead left her there in the stairwell.

I should be better than this. I feel like a baseborn ruffian.

I've read it. Tennapel is from Denair, which is the town RIGHT next to Turlock. In fact, a lot of the places in the short-lived Earthworm Jim TV series were based on places around here. Funny thing, when I tried to mention Denair or Turlock in his forums for the comic, both words were blocked from being used. Guess he doesn't like to remember his time here. :p

I had a big warm scarf my mother knitted for me; had it since I was about 10 or 11. My girlfriend lent it to a friend who came over and had to bike home - it had goten a lot colder since he came over, and he didn't have a scarf or jacket with him.
Of course, now he claims it was "stolen" in a bar somewhere. Hmpf. My mother's now knitting me a new one, and I can assure you, nobody is borrowing my frickin' scarf. :mad:

S

Soliloquy

I've read it. Tennapel is from Denair, which is the town RIGHT next to Turlock. In fact, a lot of the places in the short-lived Earthworm Jim TV series were based on places around here. Funny thing, when I tried to mention Denair or Turlock in his forums for the comic, both words were blocked from being used. Guess he doesn't like to remember his time here. :p
Interestingly enough, Tennapel went to the same university I did -- and since it's a small university, that's actually pretty cool.

EDIT: I just looked up Denair on Wikipedia.

Denair is a census-designated place (CDP) in Stanislaus County, California, United States.
"Census-designated place."

It's like they're saying "Denair is, I guess, technically somewhere that people live. You know, if you wanna split hairs about it."