[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I love my instapot for boiled eggs. Turn it on for 5 minutes, wait for 5 after it’s done, release pressure. They come out perfect, and peel super easy.

Are we sharing how to make perfect hard-boiled eggs? It's real simple, ten minutes in boiling water and then into cold water to stop the cooking process. I usually do this by putting eggs in water, raising to a boil, keeping it on the heat for three minutes and then removing to sit for 7. The mass of water will keep enough energy to keep cooking for that long. Doing this way always results in bright yellow yolks that have just passed out of the soft boiled state into hard boiled. Add a minute of cook time I guess if you are one of those weirdos that hate even a tiny possible spec of jammy yolk

I put my eggs in my egg boiler, add water for "hard boiled", plug it in, relax, then rinse them off with cold water. Perfect every time. :awesome:

Blasphemy.

Eggs are yummy.
I vehemently disagree with this. I hate the texture of them by themselves. Boiled, baked, fried, scrambled; the only way to eat eggs is in something else, cake, cookies, fried rice (it’s the only direct way I can eat a piece of egg). I’ve loathed them as their own dish my entire life, even when I was an infant according to my mother.

I vehemently disagree with this. I hate the texture of them by themselves. Boiled, baked, fried, scrambled; the only way to eat eggs is in something else, cake, cookies, fried rice (it’s the only direct way I can eat a piece of egg). I’ve loathed them as their own dish my entire life, even when I was an infant according to my mother.
Blasphemy! Heresy! I will not stand for such vulgar and profane sacrilege against the ambrosia that is eggs!

My daughter is exactly like this as well. No rhyme or reason; she just hates the texture of eggs and always has.

Man I don’t know why y’all are hard boiling eggs when you can soft or medium boil them. The best food is a nice medium boiled egg with a medium rare steak.

Man I don’t know why y’all are hard boiling eggs when you can soft or medium boil them.
When I was 10yrs old, I caught a really bad case of the flu. I mean out-of-school-for-a-week, fever-of-103F-(39C), watching-glowing-liquid-drip-through-the-ceiling, puking-at-least-twice-a-day bad. My mother thought it would be useful to give me twice-daily soft-boiled eggs to keep me fed, which were very difficult to tell apart from the stuff I was bringing up every day.

I have disliked soft-boiled eggs ever since.

--Patrick

The bad part is that despite being two weeks since he died, the body still isn’t in the US and it’s a daily ordeal of talking to different bureaucrats to try to make it happen. We still don’t have a funeral date in sight and it’s just causing a massive layer of stress on top of everything else.
They decided to bury the body over there without telling us and lied about it for several weeks. :)

Scrambled eggs with cheese and milk mixed in before cooking does that "french restaurant critic from ratatouille" thing to me.
I like how when you just search for "Anton Ego Scene" it's right at the top of the list. You don't even have to tell it which scene. It knows.

--Patrick

The wedding is in a few days and so we have family trickling in. That's fine. At long last I'll be able to meet my baby niece tomorrow. I haven't seen my folks in months, and it's been over a year since I last saw my brother. That's going to be fun.

Then there's the fiancee's extended family. Small town, white, mostly working-class, Deep Southern, evangelical Protestant, and utterly devoted to Trump even after all this time. I like a couple of the more liberal members and the Reagan Republican types but the others live on a different planet. I'm perfectly civil with them and it would KILL them to be rude. Despite their fearful and depressingly dark worldview, they are ultimately here to wish us success in our life together.

I know I'm not the only one who has Trump-loving family or in-laws. How do you make it through these family visits?

I know I'm not the only one who has Trump-loving family or in-laws. How do you make it through these family visits?
I had to flat out tell them that if they didn’t keep their mouths shut about politics and conspiracy theories while me or my kids are around, we won’t be around. Let them know you’ll do the same as well. Being nice about It won’t do anything.

Honestly, I cut them off. I've never been comfortable with their bigoted views on things since I was a kid. I gave them 4 decades of my life to wise-up, and neither my bringing up actual facts or the presence of my immigrant husband and biracial child have made a dent in their thinking. And I don't miss them at all. It's way more relaxing this way.

So, I started a new job. Medical coverage starts on day one. That was a week ago.

Sunday, I go to CVS to grab my meds. I'm pretty sure I've posted here before that I got the diabeetus, and I need those meds to keep my blood sugar from spiking into the 400's. Which, you know, is a medical emergency. I had enough for yesterday and today, and then I was out.

This is not a CVS complaint--my local CVS is awesome. But my new insurance information isn't working through their automatic validation system. Luckily, I have the printout from Cigna that has that information. (This is a Cigna complaint.)

CVS can't get my insurance to pull in, so I call Cigna to verify the numbers. It's the number on the printout, so it goes to Cigna's medical section. Sure enough, they're correct. And they verify I have a pharmacy benefit.

CVS calls Cigna, but the number they have goes directly to Cigna's pharmacy department to manually verify, and Cigna says "that subscriber information pulls up a different person in the pharmacy system."

I get the internal Cigna pharmacy department's # from CVS, and *I* have to get back on the phone with Cigna for an hour to try to sort it. They tell me that I don't have a prescription benefit. "Well, then why does your website say I do?" They tell me that the subscriber ID is for someone else. "Well, then why does your website give me this ID when I say 'print insurance cards'?"

I tell them that it's clearly a disconnect between their medical side and their prescription side, and to send it to tech support. They tell me that my HR screwed up and to contact them. I know this is a lie, and I tell the pharmacy as much, but I'm gonna jump through those hoops anyway. Because even if it is on Cigna's side, my HR has contacts and options that I don't have as an individual. So, I contact HR and tell them the story. They contact Cigna, who tells them "Oh, there was a problem with his file, and we pushed an update last night correcting it."

5 minutes later (because CVS is 2 blocks away) I have my meds in hand. So, it *was* a Cigna tech support issue. Fuckers.

Cigna is horrible.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about most of not all health care of health insurance providers.

Mine's pretty okay, though it's annoying having to remember to ask for a receipt at the doctor to prove I spent anything so they can reimburse it.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about most of not all health care of health insurance providers.

Mine's pretty okay, though it's annoying having to remember to ask for a receipt at the doctor to prove I spent anything so they can reimburse it.
Most are at least fairly competent and if they don’t want to pay out they’ll give you a reason. I’m pretty sure Cigna just says you don’t have insurance with them and hopes you’ll go away. I had the exact same experience that @Tinwhistler did when we switched to Cigna. Thankfully we don’t have them any more.

GasBandit

Staff member
My experience is that the smaller insurance companies, it's harder to find an in-network physician, but the support from the insurance company is better.

Right now I seem to be at a mediocre medium with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of TX.