[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Just had a client reject a commercial spot we produced because the voice talent, who they requested by name, and whose entire schtick is "low and sultry female voice," wasn't "upbeat and energetic" enough for them. That's like hiring James Earl Jones and saying he doesn't sound enough like Pee Wee Herman.

Also they didn't like the music I put behind the voice? Why? Because they want the Fighting Texas mother fucking Aggie Band in their spot. Because what the fuck is a copyright, am I right?

Gagh.
So the voice talent made a special trip to come back in and recut the spot, and I also got a different lady (who is younger and is the more "perky/upbeat" schtick on the air) to also cut it just so I could send them two spots to choose from.

Client e-mails back "We've decided we like (young and perky talent) better, but can you have her recut the spot and try to mimic (the sultry talent)?"

At 5:45 pm after everybody else has gone home.

/HEADDESK
/HEADDESK
/HEADDESK
:facepalm:

I sent back a very tactfully worded e-mail that said "No. Your spots start tomorrow and they only run for 2 days. Just pick one." They decided to go with young-and-perky. Which I'm sure I'll be hearing from "sultry" about tomorrow or monday, since she made a special trip back in at my request.

I'm only putting up with this nonsense because the GM says he's almost got them agreeing to buy an annual contract.

This is a fairly minor rant. I am not jobless or will be while I still have grants. Through a connection (networking powers activate!), I heard of a job opening at a Fortune500 biotech firm that does cancer drug trial work. It would be in their assay development group. The work sounded cool. I sent my CV to my contact, and he gave it to H.R.. I got a phone interview on March 9th, and thought it went well, but it has been radio silence since then. I failed to ask the interviewer if I would contacted one way or another about the position. I wrote an email a week ago to my contact and the interviewer. The contact said he hadn't heard anything, and still nothing from the H.R. person. I don't like not knowing.

Her: "You get irritated with me very quickly lately, and it's really starting to anger me."

Me (puzzled): "Oh? ...okay."

Her: "See?! You that's exactly what I mean."

Me: "Well, I wasn't irritated. What would be a better answer than 'okay'?"

Her: "I never said you were irritated."

Me: "That's the first thing you said. You said I get irritated quickly, and I'm saying that I don't."

Her: "Now you're just pissing me off. I'm done talking."
---------------------

What in the fuck was that? This came on the heels of me calmly disagreeing with an idea she had. Apparently I'm just the worst now, even though I wasn't mad at all.

What a fun Saturday night.

I won a bid on a sweet Fender Telecaster on Ebay, and now the seller is having all sorts of "issues" on his end. Now, he's saying that there's a typo on his paypal account and he'll have to re-list the item. He said that he'd re-list as a buy-now instead of a bid, and he'd put the winning bid price. I said no thanks and good luck. Oh well. Too good to be true - should have been my clue.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fire up popcorntime on my phone, cause I wanna watch something not on netflix or crunchyroll and don't have the patience to go torrent hunting because I'd have to actually get on a computer (and off the couch).

Ooh this looks good, let's watch this... (tap)

"Popcorntime STRONGLY suggests you connect to a VPN for safety!"

Well, I guess they've got a point, HBO got bitchy and sicced my ISP on me over Game of Thrones, sooooo... (connects to my seedbox vpn).

"Now Popcorntime can't see anything on your local network, especially not the chromecast you want to stream this content to."

That's the opposite, though. I'm not trying to VPN into my home network from outside, I'm trying to disguise my home IP address from copyright enforcement by using a foreign vpn as a proxy :D
You can still funnel all of your entire home network's traffic through a single VPN point if you want, it's something I've been considering implementing (since Charter habitually tries to insert unwanted content).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You can still funnel all of your entire home network's traffic through a single VPN point if you want, it's something I've been considering implementing (since Charter habitually tries to insert unwanted content).

--Patrick
Yeah, I'd have to drop money on a better router, tho, I think.

And spending money is kinda what I'm tryna avoid here. At least, more than I already am subscribing to Netflix and Crunchyroll. And honestly, I've been thinking about cancelling them both, lately, too.

What was that sound?!? If you guessed the cat projectile vomiting all over my bed, you'd be correct.
I would not have asked about that sound.
I can recognize it immediately and cover the ground to where the cat is located in under 5 seconds, though I do not always manage to relocate the cat to a tiled area prior to its evacuation.

--Patrick

I would not have asked about that sound.
I can recognize it immediately and cover the ground to where the cat is located in under 5 seconds, though I do not always manage to relocate the cat to a tiled area prior to its evacuation.

--Patrick
I have the same problem, but with a 100 pound dog. He's the only dog I had that does not prefer to vomit on the kitchen floor. NO! he likes the carpet instead!

Most of our cats like the carpet.

Pud likes to smother me. I have woken up from some freaky dreams to find he has wedged his giant for a one year old cat body between my face and pillow and I'm breathing cat hair.

That is a revolting thought there. I really hope he isn't. Because if your beard bits made it all the way to the spca, we have issues.

My sister has dealt with so little adversity in her life that a cancelled flight sends her into a rage. She will be put up in a very nice hotel and will be given very generous per diems and it's all considered work hours.

And she was given a free lounge pass... there is nothing here to get enraged over is there?

I should add that she doesn't take direct flights on purpose so she can accumulate more airline points. This whole issue could have likely been avoided with a direct flight.

At my office, we aren't allowed to play that game. We take the least expensive, most direct option.

I should add that she doesn't take direct flights on purpose so she can accumulate more airline points. This whole issue could have likely been avoided with a direct flight.
That's insanity. I always fly direct even if there's a premium for it. It's just so much better. She deserves every delay and cancellation she gets.

That's not an option when your nearest airport has direct flights to only three cities.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

That's not an option when your nearest airport has direct flights to only three cities.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk
Heck, our nearest airport doesn't have direct flights anywhere.

Closest airport that has real flights is 1:30 away. That's Houston IAH.

GasBandit

Staff member

Closest airport that has real flights is 1:30 away. That's Houston IAH.
I get to pick. 2 hours to IAH, 2.5 hours to AUS, or 3 hours to DFW.

Sometimes I just pony up the extra to fly out of CLL and change planes.

Fun fact, once I missed my flight out of CLL, but my connecting flight in DFW wasn't for 3 hours, so I was able to drive like a bat out of hell and made it to the gate right when they started boarding.

I'm trying to figure out how that works.

I mean, I can see how if you want to go to Chicago or NYC you, have to pass through Houston, say. But what if you want to fly to Houston? Do you have to go through Atlanta first?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm trying to figure out how that works.

I mean, I can see how if you want to go to Chicago or NYC you, have to pass through Houston, say. But what if you want to fly to Houston? Do you have to go through Atlanta first?
What he means by his nearest airport is probably Angelina County Airport (LFK), 7 miles from Lufkin, which currently has no commercial service (private planes only). East Texas Regional Airport in Longview might technically be closer, (79 miles instead of the 107 to Houston Intercontinental Airport), but it'd probably be worth it to drive the extra 30 miles to not have to change planes in Dallas.

For me, CLL (College Station Easterwood Airport) has limited "commuter" flights to Houston and Dallas and back again, suitable for catching your "real" flight to wherever.