[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Heh, you are the exact polar opposite of a buddhist. Not only do you want something to last forever unchanged in your possession, you want something to last forever that isn't even material :p

You need some zen in your life. All things fade, everything will be lost. Accept your transitory nature and the inevitability of data corruption /ommmm
What the hell happened to Gas???

I came by that philosophy the hard way - through lots and lots of losses via data corruption, hard drive crashes, ESDs and whatnot. You just... gotta learn to let it all go, man.

I was about ready to chew my own arm off. uuuugh
Should we start the church of data buddhism?

... no, Brent Spiner, stop asking if you can join. Different data.

Gotta admire the spirit of initiative showed here, Spar, but you really should ask before fisting someone... Besides, "Pardon me, may I insert this in that" is kind of hard to beat as an ice-breaker...

Gotta admire the spirit of initiative showed here, Spar, but you really should ask before fisting someone... Besides, "Pardon me, may I insert this in that" is kind of hard to beat as an ice-breaker...
"Hey baby. You. Me. Elbow deep, whaddya say?"

And that's how I was arrested.

(Cross-posted with a Facebook post I wrote earlier today.)

I never understand why people need to differentiate between "real" (aka: hardcore) and "wannabe" (aka casual) fans. If someone only enjoys the Marvel movies but has read few or none of the comics, why is that a big deal? Let them. They're still enjoying the characters for whatever reason. Someone doesn't need to play X amount of games for X amount of time to be considered a "gamer." If they enjoy video games, then they're a gamer. Same with wrestling. If you watch wrestling, you're a wrestling fan. It doesn't matter how much you watch it or what fed you watch. It's all wrestling.

It feels like the nerd community in general became gated off and protective of their stuff since it became mainstream. Who cares? The Captain America movies are the best superhero movies. Why hold it against someone if they don't know every niggling detail about his 75-year history?

So, last night was my grandparents anniversary. The family, myself included, took them out to dinner, and they wanted seafood so we got seafood.

I don't like fish, so I usually avoid seafood. But since we were there, I thought sure, bring me a giant heap of lobster and shrimp, we shall feast.

... Last night I also learned I am allergic to shellfish.[DOUBLEPOST=1486922133,1486921981][/DOUBLEPOST]In an entirely unrelated note, I now have strong opinions on the cost of epi pens.

So, last night was my grandparents anniversary. The family, myself included, took them out to dinner, and they wanted seafood so we got seafood.

I don't like fish, so I usually avoid seafood. But since we were there, I thought sure, bring me a giant heap of lobster and shrimp, we shall feast.

... Last night I also learned I am allergic to shellfish.
I hope at least that it was delicious to compensate for today's misery.

. . . Or should I hope it wasn't so you won't be tempted in the future?

... Last night I also learned I am allergic to shellfish.[DOUBLEPOST=1486922133,1486921981][/DOUBLEPOST]In an entirely unrelated note, I now have strong opinions on the cost of epi pens.
Shoulda brought the Time Gem with you to dinner.

They're not cheap :(

@Squidleybits, epi-pens are made by Mylan. Their CEO is Heather Bresch, daughter of Joe Manchin, US Senator and former governor of WV.

That combination has meant a whole lot of trouble for the company, the state, and the state's flagship university. What with the moving the company HQ overseas as a tax dodge, the phony degree, and whatnot.

GasBandit

Staff member
And by "whatnot," DA means gumming up the federal approval process for competing products that would allow market forces to drive down the cost of emergency epinephrine injectors. Recently, one competing injector finally squeaked through, and it's already having an effect, undercutting Epipen's $609-for-two price tag with a cost of $360 for a pack of two. If more alternatives could break the FDA stonewall, it'd bring the price down more and faster.

Crony capitalism is governmental cancer.

And by "whatnot," DA means gumming up the federal approval process for competing products that would allow market forces to drive down the cost of emergency epinephrine injectors. Recently, one competing injector finally squeaked through, and it's already having an effect, undercutting Epipen's $609-for-two price tag with a cost of $360 for a pack of two. If more alternatives could break the FDA stonewall, it'd bring the price down more and faster.

Crony capitalism is governmental cancer.
Last I heard, it was $110 for the two pack, not $360.

fade

Staff member
Why would Autozone sell a Mini Cooper thermostat that is identical in every way except the wiring plugs? My only guess is that this is a BMW standard part, and they misclassified the BMW version as Mini compatible. Also, why the hell is the thermostat molded into its housing, requiring me to replace a $140 part instead of a $30 thermostat?

fade

Staff member
Why would Autozone sell a Mini Cooper thermostat that is identical in every way except the wiring plugs? My only guess is that this is a BMW standard part, and they misclassified the BMW version as Mini compatible. Also, why the hell is the thermostat molded into its housing, requiring me to replace a $140 part instead of a $30 thermostat?
Apparently it is the right part. Mini changed the wiring, and I now need a $40 wiring harness pigtail, too. In any case, no one has the pigtail locally, so I am just going to return the part I drove across Houston for and order both online where they're a lot cheaper. Guess I'll just keep a jug of coolant in my front seat until the parts come in.