[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Student in class I'm teaching is concerned about grades. Student has done reasonably well, but is concerned it is not enough for an A. Student has made it clear that they will use our regrade policy--regrading the entire exam/homework--to have us regrade every single homework/exam they've done over the semester if they're not happy with their grade.

I've attempted to discourage her from this option because, while I will be as fair as possible, there are several other TAs and a) the new grade sticks after the regrade, so you can lose points and b) they're forcing all of these student instructors to sacrifice part of their winter holiday because they want to wring another point or two out of the semester.

I'm sure you can see why this will end poorly if they choose this route.

fade

Staff member
The weird thing about King of the Hill is that it seems more like a documentary than a comedy. Which is kind of offensive if you think about it, because it becomes a Texan minstrel show. "Look how funny it is when these people do what they do!"

figmentPez

Staff member
In fact, here. SHARE MY PAIN. Put this on repeat and listen to it at least 10 times.
I couldn't even make it through the song once. 2½ minutes in and I just gave up. After living in Texas for 23 years, I'm more tolerant of country music than I used to be (heck, I quite like "White Christmases in Houston"), but that twang on "girls" is just too much. I can't take it.

Doesn't sound any different to the rest of the pop country shit that gets played to me. Then again, I don't really listen to that kind of music.

I'm kind of used to hearing country music, though I don't like it.

I personally got tired of it 5 seconds in, due to the extreme amounts of autotune.

Student in class I'm teaching is concerned about grades. Student has done reasonably well, but is concerned it is not enough for an A. Student has made it clear that they will use our regrade policy--regrading the entire exam/homework--to have us regrade every single homework/exam they've done over the semester if they're not happy with their grade.

I've attempted to discourage her from this option because, while I will be as fair as possible, there are several other TAs and a) the new grade sticks after the regrade, so you can lose points and b) they're forcing all of these student instructors to sacrifice part of their winter holiday because they want to wring another point or two out of the semester.

I'm sure you can see why this will end poorly if they choose this route.
I had a teacher that warned us that if we ask for a regrade, he would be as nitpicky as possible and our grades would most likely go down. As far as I know, no one ever took the risk.

Y'all just be glad you're damn yankees and don't have to work at a country music radio station.

Because this auditory atrocity makes Taylor Swift look like Tchaikovsky.

In fact, here. SHARE MY PAIN. Put this on repeat and listen to it at least 10 times.

Speaking as someone who loves country music - that's fucking horrific. I am damn glad I haven't heard it on my local country station yet. I mean, I thought Maddie and Tae's "Girl in a Country Song" was bad, this is unfathomably, incomprehensibly horrific.

not to mention reinforcing the child-like lie of "god"
brofist for a fellow godless heathen. but hey at least you might not be considered an apostate by your whole family.[DOUBLEPOST=1418434314,1418434246][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a bad message whether you have Faith or don't. Substitute "Evolution selected" for "God made" and you still get an anthem to the subservience and vapidity of the human female.

Someone's gotta wear the pretty skirts. Someone's gotta teach boys to dance. So females evolved.
the best dance instructors are actually gay men....
edit: also the patriarchy...cause I can.

POINTLESS POP CULTURE RANT YO!

What is so special about January of 2015 that Disney, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon won't air new cartoons? Or is this just the normal spacing out of cartoon seasons to make up for the fact that they are too CHEAP to finance more shows? Either way, its freaking annoying, and waiting a month to see the conclusion of that Regular Show episode is TORTURE! Also that "Star vs. The forces of Evil" looks pretty good, really annoyed that was pushed back a month.

POINTLESS POP CULTURE RANT YO!

What is so special about January of 2015 that Disney, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon won't air new cartoons? Or is this just the normal spacing out of cartoon seasons to make up for the fact that they are too CHEAP to finance more shows? Either way, its freaking annoying, and waiting a month to see the conclusion of that Regular Show episode is TORTURE! Also that "Star vs. The forces of Evil" looks pretty good, really annoyed that was pushed back a month.
Everyone is in off season until something like March, for sweeps. This isn't just those guys... it's EVERYONE that does this. In fact, it's kind of odd we're getting Agent Carter of SHIELD during the off-season because you usually only see mid-season replacements for other failed shows.

SHARE MY PAIN.
Soo, I got home and clicked on it and let it play.
As soon as the last refrain fades away, Kati pipes up unsolicited from behind her computer, "...That was awful." I have to agree. That was an excessive amount of pitch correction, and when it's that obvious, it usually means the singer was waaaaaay off the note.

After watching this video, I think I have also come to understand something else: God may have made girls for boys, but apparently God also made horses for girls.

--Patrick

Everyone is in off season until something like March, for sweeps. This isn't just those guys... it's EVERYONE that does this. In fact, it's kind of odd we're getting Agent Carter of SHIELD during the off-season because you usually only see mid-season replacements for other failed shows.
Oh right, Nielsen ratings. The thing that TV corps still use to determine what people are watching even though studies have shown its accuracy has become incredibly questionable. Joy.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh right, Nielsen ratings. The thing that TV corps still use to determine what people are watching even though studies have shown its accuracy has become incredibly questionable. Joy.
Don't even get me started man, they bought Arbitron, so now they're the only company that does ratings for either TV OR RADIO.

God made girls.

God made girls.

fuckin day after day

hour after hour

"God made girls"
"Gahd ma-heed gurrrrlz"
"GAD MAYEED GRLS"

I can't remember the last time a song drove me to want to bludgeon and burn so very much.

I hope it's a flash in the pan that goes away soon because I can't take much more of that shit.
But.... But... Somebody's gatta wear the pretty skirt!