[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

fade

Staff member
I live in a supposedly nice neighborhood in Houston. Last month, my son's bike was taken (he did leave it in the front yard against repeated warnings from multiple adults, so I'm not terribly broken up about it. This morning, I opened my car door to find that someone had pulled everything out of the glove box and from under my seat (I had a bag of returns there with receipt). Strangely enough, nothing was taken. They left muddy footprints, but took nothing. Not even my CB radio which was literally just sitting there wedged between the center console and the passenger seat. Maybe they were interrupted.

I live in a supposedly nice neighborhood in Houston. Last month, my son's bike was taken (he did leave it in the front yard against repeated warnings from multiple adults, so I'm not terribly broken up about it. This morning, I opened my car door to find that someone had pulled everything out of the glove box and from under my seat (I had a bag of returns there with receipt). Strangely enough, nothing was taken. They left muddy footprints, but took nothing. Not even my CB radio which was literally just sitting there wedged between the center console and the passenger seat. Maybe they were interrupted.
Maybe they just think you have crappy stuff. I'd be insulted if someone broke into my car and then didn't take anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
Happens about twice a year to me. I think they're just looking for loose cash or things that are REALLY easy to pawn - one time they took my car charger for my droid, but the other times they left it, another time they took the dash mount. These things are less than 20 dollars new, so they couldn't pawn for much. But yeah, not the radio, not anything else from the car, though they rifle through most everything.

Left my car door open. They grabbed my gym bag and emptied it on the parking lot floor. There was nothing for them to really take except dirty clothes. I'm sure it was very disappointing.

fade

Staff member
I have a soft top, so I just leave it unlocked. A few trinkets are cheaper to replace than a slashed top.

This might be more worthy of the regular rant thread, but I'll put it here.
Arrested Development isn't until midnight pacific time, not eastern.

Girlfriend's abroad for her work, and should've been on a plane right now back. Her plane was supposed to leave 50 minutes ago, they've been told the plane won't leave for at least another hour and a half. She was supposed to arrive here around 1 am, now it'll be more like 3 am, 3:30. I have to go pick her up, and I've been awake since 5 am for my job. Grrr.
And the website (Ryanair) still reports her flight as no delay, left perfectly on time. Yeah right.

Day 3 of no sleep. Seeing my doctor this morning. The vicious cycle of my over active bullshit saliva goomouth mixed with my swollen painful throat has made blissful sleep a distant thing of the past. I almost had a nervous breakdown yesterday over it. I'm too tired to drive safely.

So I'm just about 5 months into my 6 month contract here, and I'm hoping to turn it into a permanant job.

This morning I was informed that there is some company-wide "restructuring" happening, and as a result of that, my supervisor is leaving the company at the end of the week.

This means that I have about a month to impress a new manager into hopefully keeping me on permanantly. Not a great deadline.

So I'm just about 5 months into my 6 month contract here, and I'm hoping to turn it into a permanant job.

This morning I was informed that there is some company-wide "restructuring" happening, and as a result of that, my supervisor is leaving the company at the end of the week.

This means that I have about a month to impress a new manager into hopefully keeping me on permanantly. Not a great deadline.
I just talked to my seniors about it, they're gonna put in good words for me to the new supervisor. I'm gonna ask my supervisor that's leaving to do the same. Hopefully that'll be enough. I have a good feeling that they want to keep us contract people around anyway but this next-to-last minute shakeup has made me nervous.

Since I am having to pay a huge deductible to get my car working (since some idiot without insurance hit it, but you can read about that in one of my earlier rants) I am having to postpone my tattoo session. It was supposed to be this Saturday so I could finish my tattoo but now I am looking at the end of June or maybe the beginning of July.

Dave

Staff member
I wish my AC was working again. That's twice now this year it's crapped out already. The first time the guy told me I needed to reset the breaker, which is what I had already done but it kept tripping off. Now it won't even turn on and throws sparks. *zzzzT!*

I wish my AC was working again. That's twice now this year it's crapped out already. The first time the guy told me I needed to reset the breaker, which is what I had already done but it kept tripping off. Now it won't even turn on and throws sparks. *zzzzT!*
Our AC went out on Friday and our property management company was closed all Memorial Day Holiday weekend. It's now going to be Wed and we've been sitting in a 90 degree house, day in and out.

The AC in my office/PC room wouldn't cool anymore. Fortunately we have a spare from the unused bedroom.

Dave

Staff member
AC guy just left. Seems we're getting a whole new AC unit as this one has screwed the pooch. Bad news? It's not coming until Friday. So it's going to be a hot couple of days.

I live in prairie-urban Canada and don't have AC, despite the silly heat we get for a couple of months a year here. Almost no one I know has AC. My car has AC. My workplace has AC. Our malls and stores and movie theaters and everywhere else has AC, but people just don't generally have AC in their homes.

I don't know why this is.

It gets fucking hot here in the summer.

Gilgamesh and Dave, I feel your pain. I had this happen to me last year, in the middle of summer, in Florida.

Worse part? The AC in my car decided to die at the same time. It just became a thing that people had to deal with me showing up super sweaty everywhere I went.

I live in prairie-urban Canada and don't have AC, despite the silly heat we get for a couple of months a year here. Almost no one I know has AC. My car has AC. My workplace has AC. Our malls and stores and movie theaters and everywhere else has AC, but people just don't generally have AC in their homes.

I don't know why this is.

It gets fucking hot here in the summer.

I have a portable unit for the master bedroom which is a godsend on those super hot days we do have. I can't justify the expense of central air for the few months of summer we do get though. Oh I love that portable unit though. Sometimes I hug it when no one is looking :).

I have a portable unit for the master bedroom which is a godsend on those super hot days we do have. I can't justify the expense of central air for the few months of summer we do get though. Oh I love that portable unit though. Sometimes I hug it when no one is looking :).
Yeah, the few people I know who have them only have those portable ones or those single room serving window units.

I appear to be stuck on a 30 hour cycle right now; 22 hours awake, 8 hours asleep. It's very annoying, but at least I'm sleeping.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've often considered a 28 hour day as being preferable, but damn my job and people with their stodgy traditional circadian definitions.

Aaand Gilga ninjas me.

I'm having a shit day. Actually a couple, yesterday sucked too. I really want to just walk away from everything. I wont, but it's fun to imagine.