Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built a little shack in the woods before I pined for all the resources and tools I left in my single player world. I'll probably be back. :)
You better!

It does take awhile to get started, though. It's too bad that there isn't a "getting started" server mod which fills the first storage box a user creates with useful items to get going on the server.

Alternately a public hoard for those things people don't want/need anymore would be a great help, if placed near the spawn point.

Hmmm I'm considering this. I've been away from Minecraft for a while now.... might be time to head back in.... would I still see my miner Shego skin on the multiplayer server?

Hmmm I'm considering this. I've been away from Minecraft for a while now.... might be time to head back in.... would I still see my miner Shego skin on the multiplayer server?
Gasbandit was wearing a Mario outfit last I saw him on the server. It looks like if you update your skin at Minecraft then it shows up on the server as well, but maybe GB can chime in here?

Oh wow, even more awesome. I'll be easy to spot. I'm just gonna say ya'll are lucky that it's set to non-PVP. I'm a beast with TNT and Arrows >:D

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not "set" to non-pvp, you have to run special mods to enable quasi-pvp :p The official minecraft server does not as of yet support pvp. Or minecarts. Or buckets. Or portals... or etc.

And yes, you can still set your account to use a custom skin at minecraft.net in the preferences section.

N

noaxark

It's not "set" to non-pvp, you have to run special mods to enable quasi-pvp :p The official minecraft server does not as of yet support pvp. Or minecarts. Or buckets. Or portals... or etc.
I think I'll hold off on custom software for a while, though. At least until we see the smp updates notch promised next week.

GasBandit

Staff member
you took that picture from a horrible angle.. you can't even see the lava-vomiting iron skull above and behind it!

Should be jumping on the server later on. Hope to see some of you there. Glad we finally have a place for us.

Cartograph of the server, now with my castle and village imported -
Wait, can we import our maps onto the server? :confused:

I've mostly refrained from building on multiplayer maps because of the work I've invested in my own world, but if this is the case then that changes things.

Gas, your labeled cartograph shows my little hut but it is literally so small you didn't even label it. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
The Gasbandian Embassy is Complete.

picture 1:
picture 2:

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Cartograph of the server, now with my castle and village imported -
Wait, can we import our maps onto the server? :confused:

I've mostly refrained from building on multiplayer maps because of the work I've invested in my own world, but if this is the case then that changes things.[/QUOTE]

Not easily. I got special dispensation from the server admin, and I had to use an editor to copy and paste it into an unused section of the world.

Gas that is incredible.

I just made the dumbest mistake. I got down to a level in my glass mine where I was able to find a dungeon, a large lava pool, and several deposits of redstone, more than enough to give me a stack. I went back up to my stash to grab some buckets for lava, cuz I'd heard that buckets of lava are by far the most efficient ways of heating furnaces.

I got back to my furnace with a bucket of lava, but I still had the bucket selected. So when I right clicked to open the furnace, I DID open the furnace, but also dumped lava all over my safe room.

:( :( :(

I lost all my redstone, all my iron, most of my tools, and almost a big section of my safe room. Thank the maker one of my buckets survived so I could clear the lava out of there. I was so desperate to keep it from flooding that I ran all the way there from my spawn point in the middle of the night, taking 4 earts of damage and setting off 3 creepers during my daring run.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'd heard that buckets of lava are by far the most efficient ways of heating furnaces.
The most expensive way to heat a furnace, since you lose the bucket. 3 iron for 100 smelts isn't how I want to spend my iron. Nor do I want to have to set a timer to run back to my furnace to get the next 36 items into the hopper.

GasBandit

Staff member
uh, yeah, what Pez said, Gusto. COAL is by far the most efficient ways of heating furnaces. 8 coal = 64 smelts. Unattended smelting ftw.

GasBandit

Staff member
After finishing up the big can of beans, I went for a brief exploratory trip into the LAND OF MADNESS beyond the borders of GasBandia -

GasBandit

Staff member
On a related note, DO NOT USE TINYPIC for PNG files... it totally horks their compression and makes them at least double in size (bytes).

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

If you're feeling like a big spender when you smelt, one bucket filled with lava is 100 smelts.
Yes, but as was said on the last page, it eats the bucket AND you have to sit there and tend it because it will continue to burn away after you've used up your stack of 64. It's just better to use 8 coal and come back later.

Re: Minecraft After finishing up the big can of beans, I went for a brief exploratory trip into the LAND OF MADNESS beyond the borders of GasBandia -
NOOOOOOO! That is Non-Ecludian in shape and design! You will awaken he who must not be named!

"Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*plans the construction of wards around his growing archipelago*

Just wanted to say thanks go noaxark for offering up the server space. I found a nice little mountain/basin area to work in down towards the southern reaches.

I started building just a bit north of spawn as per Gas's suggestion. Not much yet but it was cool going around and seeing what everyone else has built so far.

N

noaxark

After finishing up the big can of beans, I went for a brief exploratory trip into the LAND OF MADNESS beyond the borders of GasBandia -

I wonder what those dots are in the distance. More madness?

figmentPez

Staff member
Wow, looks like there's a big update for tomorrow:

General fixes:
* players and mobs in lava or fire no longer spam sound effects
* getting hit with a higher damage while recovering from a smaller one now works as intended
* lava flows further in the Nether
* zombie pigs eventually forgives
* added support for custom texture packs
* fixed duplicate buttons when resizing screens
* zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava
* fixed volume sliders now saving properly

Multiplayer fixes:
* hellworld=true no longer overwrites old save chunks. Player positions will still break if you switch it on a running server, though
* boats are now visible to other players
* minecarts move nicer
* fishing kinda sorta works, but needs more work
* sheep and cows look like sheep and cows now
* buckets work now
* fixed stairs being really difficult to destroy
* increased the timeout before “Took too long to log in”
* made it possible to ride carts and boats (pigs should work too..)

Buckets and minecarts working in SMP? :D Oh I hope it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.