Microsoft has blocked use of skypekit for skype in third party applications

I woke up this morning to find my trillian at work could no longer connect out to skype. apperantly if want to use it from now on we have to use the bloated client that microsoft supplies us with. im irked, any alternatives you all know of?

GasBandit

Staff member
I got an e-mail yesterday notifying me that Skype would also no longer work on versions of android 2.2 or older.

As for alternatives, so long as it's PC to PC (or PC to android mobile device), ventrilo works like a champ.

GasBandit

Staff member
Skype better not stop working! It's how I talk to my son every week.
As long as you're using ACTUAL skype, and the latest version (as opposed to a third party app like trillian) updated to the latest version, you should be fine.

I got an e-mail yesterday notifying me that Skype would also no longer work on versions of android 2.2 or older.

As for alternatives, so long as it's PC to PC (or PC to android mobile device), ventrilo works like a champ.
Why the heck are you still using 2.2?

I'm not even using skype any more. But at one point I had it installed on my Motorola Droid 1, which came with Android 2.1.
How long did it take to get Froyo? My Evo came with Froyo (2.2), but it was months after the release of Gingerbread (2.3) before Sprint finally officially released it to their users. By then I'd been using Cyanogenmod's gingerbread release for at least three months. And once it became clear that there would be no official Ice Cream Sandwich update, my decision was made to switch to iOS.

GasBandit

Staff member
How long did it take to get Froyo? My Evo came with Froyo (2.2), but it was months after the release of Gingerbread (2.3) before Sprint finally officially released it to their users. By then I'd been using Cyanogenmod's gingerbread release for at least three months. And once it became clear that there would be no official Ice Cream Sandwich update, my decision was made to switch to iOS.
I don't remember, it was years ago.. but they stopped updating the droid 1 at 2.2.3.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Nexus 5, but I'd have to switch carriers to get it. And as evil as Verizon is, their coverage is way better than AT&T's or Sprint's.

I don't remember, it was years ago.. but they stopped updating the droid 1 at 2.2.3.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Nexus 5, but I'd have to switch carriers to get it. And as evil as Verizon is, their coverage is way better than AT&T's or Sprint's.
you can buy the nexus 5 unlocked gas, so you could stay with whoever if you wanted.

you can buy the nexus 5 unlocked gas, so you could stay with whoever if you wanted.
Unlocked doesn't mean it's compatible with every network. Verizon runs on a cdma/LTE network, requiring a completely different radio than AT&T or sprint.

Over here, Verizon's coverage sucks monkey balls. Once you cross into MD, coverage goes bye-bye until you reach Hancock.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA, but Verizon keeps tighter control over what can connect to its network, and the Nexus 5 was pointedly left off their whitelist.

Yeah, Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA, but Verizon keeps tighter control over what can connect to its network, and the Nexus 5 was pointedly left off their whitelist.
Ooo, that's a violation. Or it would be, if they were more action and less talk about their whole "Open Development" platform.

--Patrick

Unlocked doesn't mean it's compatible with every network. Verizon runs on a cdma/LTE network, requiring a completely different radio than AT&T or sprint.
I AM SHOCKED... SHOCKED BY YOUR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE MY GOOD CHUM! I even know that from spending years working for the big Red R!(radioshack)
Around here, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM.

--Patrick
you are correct sir, completely correct.