[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

GasBandit

Staff member
Well link it for the rest of us. eh?

Ok, found it via his facebook... and my results are entirely wrong. Probably because it generates it based on your facebook profile, I'm guessing, and mine is entirely fabricated and largely unused.

Ok, found it via his facebook... and my results are entirely wrong. Probably because it generates it based on your facebook profile, I'm guessing, and mine is entirely fabricated and largely unused.
It shouldn't be. It's just a quiz that has you pick between two choices over and over until a list is generated. Mine was pretty accurate. I'd probably shift things around a little, but I can agree with the Top and Bottom 5 for the most part. Age of Ultron, for example, feels a little too high. It has some fantastic set pieces and individual moments, but it doesn't quite come together like others.

FB_IMG_1553274709523.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, now I saw there was a button at the bottom to ACTUALLY take the questionnaire, and now it fits a lot better :p Looks like I was just viewing your list instead, so that makes more sense as to why it didn't suit my tastes.

result.png

Ok, now I saw there was a button at the bottom to MANUALLY take the questionnaire, and now it fits a lot better :p

View attachment 29106
Huh. I'm surprised the first Cap ranks so low for you, given the sequels are at the top. First Avenger is my absolute favorite of the three. The other two are great, too, mind you.

Also, Iron Man 2 THAT high on the list?

Also, this should work as a direct link for others:
https://sorta.app/q/1016

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh. I'm surprised the first Cap ranks so low for you, given the sequels are at the top.
TBH I was a little bit bored during the first Captain America. I don't know why. Whatever it was, they definitely fixed it later.

Also, Iron Man 2 THAT high on the list?
I really liked Iron Man 2 and really didn't like 3. The only one I disliked more than IM3 was Ultron. Hulk I never got around to actually seeing, but I still would rather watch it than see ultron again :p

But yeah, I thought IM2 got a bad rap. I left the theater really pumped and jazzed after seeing that.

That list also doesn't fairly reflect that, basically, I enjoyed every movie above Thor on that list well enough to see multiple times... Thor and Cap 1 left me a little bored, and Ultron and IM3 I wish I'd skipped.

So basically, for me, that list is like this:

1553275450658.png

TBH I was a little bit bored during the first Captain America. I don't know why. Whatever it was, they definitely fixed it later.

I really liked Iron Man 2 and really didn't like 3. The only one I disliked more than IM3 was Ultron. Hulk I never got around to actually seeing, but I still would rather watch it than see ultron again :p

But yeah, I thought IM2 got a bad rap. I left the theater really pumped and jazzed after seeing that.

That list also doesn't fairly reflect that, basically, I enjoyed every movie above Thor on that list well enough to see multiple times... Thor and Cap 1 left me a little bored, and Ultron and IM3 I wish I'd skipped.

So basically, for me, that list is like this:

View attachment 29113
I get what you mean. I think Ultron gets a bad rap, honestly. It has a LOT of great, iconic moments and set pieces. And Iron Man 2 is a lot of fun. I never mind rewatching it. But like Ultron, it doesn't come together as well as other MCU films.

Also, I've said this a billion times, but I firmly believe no MCU film is flat-out bad. Not certainly compared to do many other superhero films. They all have something that makes them enjoyable and rewatchable. Some less so than others (I'm seeing Hulk at the bottom of most lists), but still leagues better than other non-MCU superhero movies.

Last edited:

Agggh, I copied the link but @ing Nick for some reason made me think I had pasted it already.

GasBandit

Staff member
I get what you mean. I think Ultron gets a bad rap, honestly. It has a LOT of great, iconic moments and set pieces.
The thing about a villain-centered movie is that it rises or falls on the quality of the villain, and they dropped the ball with Ultron's character SO hard that it just unraveled the rest of the movie.

Reactions: Far
The worst MCU film (which is Thor: The Dark World, no exceptions) is better than the Snyder trash that the DCEU pumped out before Wonder Woman reminded them how to make a good movie.

Incredible Hulk, Avengers 2, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, any MCU movie really. They have problems, sure, but they are at least decent movies.

result.png

So, Iron Man 2 is right where it belongs. I guess that Monaco scene soured me on the others.

Variation Marvel, Ant Man and the Who are on top because I haven't seen them and the question was what do I want to watch right now. I wanna watch what I ain't never seen. Unless it's Spiderman or fun Thor.

Also, I got bored of the test about 2/3 on and just clicked right for all the last 1/3. That said, the rest is still close enough to bring right

I’ve seen two of these movies.

EDIT: Wait! I’ve seen four. I keep forgetting GotG is part of it.

—Patrick

Last edited:
result.png

I haven't watched some of the movies, so the results are a bit weird. Most surprising are Iron Man 2 above Iron Man.

I’ve seen two of these movies.

—Patrick
I still haven't seen 6 1/2 of them.

I got bored halfway through the first Guardians, and stopped watching. Well, lessbored, and more burned out. It was the last of a binge that included the second Guardians, Ragnarok and Black Panther. By the end, I just stopped being entertained. This is also why my low ratingo ofBlack Panther has nothing to do with the movie itself.

and yeah, I don't necessarily watch these things in order. I've seen Infinity War, but not Age of Ultron. I've never seen Dark World but totally loved Ragnarok. Oh, and I saw Infinity War before that Thor.

I don't know how accurate my results are. There are so many I had a hard time picking one over the other because I liked them equally. I'd say it's close-ish since there can't be any ties.

I will say the bottom 3 are right. I agree with Nick that there hasn't been a *bad* MCU movie yet, but I do think those three were pretty "meh" compared to the rest. And I really like Mark Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk so much more than Norton's.
result.png

I got so bored during the first Avengers that I fell asleep during the climactic fight. It helped that I was semi sleep deprived, but still.

My family considers me to be Marvel-manic so I'm definitely enjoying this conversation

result (1).png

To me, there aren't any bad movies in the list, but there is a recency bias to score some of the newer ones higher than the older ones. Because CGI has improved or directors have become more comfortable or Marvel Studios in general allowed for more freedom. My big A HA moments are that generally the sequels have outperformed the origin stories, movies that are team-centric versus individual-centric score higher on the list, and the more generic the movie, the lower down the list they appear. Even though Captain America is my hero of choice throughout the MCU, his origin story scores low because of its reluctance to take chances - which makes sense considering its early entry. Ragnarok benefits not only from being recent but also its wild divergence from the rest of its franchise.

Thor Ragnarok at last got it right thanks to freedom afforded by GotG, so much that I feel like it should be the start of a new Thor trilogy instead of an end to the old.

It's hard when the MCU has so many good movies.

Thor: Dark World though ... Julie and I almost left out of boredom.
We watched it on a snowboarding trip, and everyone fell asleep except me. And it was just barely for me.

The only thing that saves Dark World from being lower for me is any scene with Thor and Loki together. They have such great chemistry as brothers. When it's on tv, I skip over everything except when they're together.
Post automatically merged:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I really have a soft spot for the movies when multiple main characters get to be together. No wonder it ranked Civil War so high for me.

result.png

So much of mine is about the right now. I probably like The Incredible Hulk more than others because he's one of my all-time favorite characters, but there are days I'd rather watch Ant-Man instead. Some of the bottom picks are more because I've had those on just for "noise" more than some of the others that I haven't seen as much.

*old school Thor fan here*
You basically have 3 faces of Thor
1 When he is on Earth *and Elsewhere in Comics* in an official capacity and is presenting himself as a Prince and Representative of Asgard, he 'mostly' remembers to mind his P & Q's, and can also be a bit obnoxious

2 When he's found himself on his own. He actually, occasionally, takes time to stop and think.

3 High Adventure Mode. Him traveling around with the Warriors Three and Lady Sif starting crap with various folks with worlds tied to Yggdrasil. He's a young Vikingesque dude that wants to rumble.

That being said, yeah Thor 2 was . . . not living up to what it could have been.

result.png

Honestly swap Ragnorok and The Avengers and Black Panther and Guardians 2 and it's pretty spot on for me.

Sarah's are fairly similar.

Screenshot_20190322-181329_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: