[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

He'll need to finish Suicide Squad 2 first, then work on Guardians 3. He has already submitted the script.

So the alt-right assholes lost again. Should I call them assholes or is that just redundant? It's like these creatures don't have a sliver of decency between all of them.

Nice. From a moviegoer's perspective, I liked the first two and I'm happy the third will continue in the same vein. From a general perspective, I think Gunn's apologized, shown remorse, paid his dues, and I'm happy to let bygones be bygones.

He'll need to finish Suicide Squad 2 first, then work on Guardians 3. He has already submitted the script.
I hear Marvel wants to wait over a year after Spider-man: Far From Home before releasing another movie. So this would work out just fine for their timeline.

figmentPez

Staff member
Saw Captain Marvel yesterday. Just a few thoughts:

Opening thoughts: Dammit Carol, stop sticking sour raspberry Warheads up your nose!

Closing thoughts: Well that proves that Goose isn't a cat. A cat would have vomited directly on the keyboard.

More complicated thoughts: This was a fun action movie, but it lacked the emotional depth of the best Marvel movies. I didn't think the movie clearly showed why Carol was trying to recover her memories, beyond that it was a mystery and she was determined to know. The movie told us it was an emotional connection, but all the movie showed was Carol's determination (which my psychologists at Mennninger would have pointed out is not an emotion.) Overall Carol's connection to her past is very one-note. She's determined. She's determined to find out about her past. She's determined to get back up. She's determined to do things her way. She's determined to prove people wrong. This focus almost entirely skips over the good points in her life.

This isn't necessarily a flaw, though. John McClane in Die Hard doesn't have an particularly complex emotional journey in Die Hard. If I remember the film correctly, he's mostly just reluctantly being bad-ass.

As much as I loved the idea of the scene where Carol changes the color of her uniform, there just wasn't enough of a connection between Carol and the kid to make it really shine. It was fun, but it didn't do much to round out Carol's character.

Overall, Carol remembering and connecting to her past seemed irrelevant. Her personality didn't change. As much as they called the Rambeaus her family, they never really felt like it. Carol started the movie alone, and ended it alone, despite being surrounded by a really cute, potential pseudo-family.

The tone in the movie felt inconsistent, and I have to wonder if there was a rewrite to attempt to try to match the tone of Thor Ragnarok and the GotG movies. A lot of the jokes, especially scenes with Talos, came across as trying to be that dry but positive, New Zealand type of humor that Taika Waititi does so well. Captain Marvel didn't quite match that level of wit. Take for instance "It's just a scratch." I laughed at "No, it's not." but by the time Fury was lying to Coulson about how it happened, the joke was long dead and was well into badly awkward territory.

Still, the fight scenes were amazing. I love Captain Marvel's sass. ("I see you baby, shakin' that sass!"... Oh wait, that song isn't from the early 90s, whoops!) Fury and Carol had a fantastic back and forth. Talos was very sympathetic and made for a wonderful antagonist turned ally. I really enjoyed my time watching it, and that makes it a great movie in my book.

Saw Captain Marvel again this weekend, this time with Mr. Z and Li'l Z. Enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Li'l Z said it thought it was "amazing" and loved any time she was riding her motorcycle or piloting (shocking, I know). The real shock was that Mr. Z really enjoyed it, and liked it was better than Wonder Woman (!!!).

Captain Marvel spoilers
I was extremely surprised the skulls were good guys. The kree being shitheads was a given. I guess there's no chance for an MCU Secret Invasion now.

figmentPez

Staff member
I read an article today that included quotes from an MCU writer that no character is immortal, and even someone as powerful as Captain Marvel isn't completely invulnerable, and has an Achilles heel. Which led me to think...

There's been a lot of speculation about why Fury didn't page Carol sooner. There are a lot of possible reasons. She was being saved as a last resort, and there not being time to call her in before the invasion in New York was already foiled. I think those are valid, but I think there might be another factor: Captain Marvel got her powers from the tesseract. What if Fury didn't want her going up against Loki because of the connection between her powers and the infinity gem that was in Loki's control. What kind of influence will Thanos have over Captain Marvel because of this?

figmentPez

Staff member
Captain Marvel spoilers
I was extremely surprised the skulls were good guys. The kree being shitheads was a given. I guess there's no chance for an MCU Secret Invasion now.
These Skrulls were good guys, yet some of them still had a lot of blood on their hands. There's still a lot of room for there to be asshole Skrulls. I would welcome that type of complexity to be applied to an alien race. It would be quite a challenge to write. Sympathetic refugees who are being persecuted for not assimilating into a colonial empire, but there are still groups within their race who are terrorists willing to anything necessary, or who outright hate other cultures? Yeah, that doesn't have any real world parallels that would be a metaphorical land mine waiting to be stepped on...

I read an article today that included quotes from an MCU writer that no character is immortal, and even someone as powerful as Captain Marvel isn't completely invulnerable, and has an Achilles heel. Which led me to think...

There's been a lot of speculation about why Fury didn't page Carol sooner. There are a lot of possible reasons. She was being saved as a last resort, and there not being time to call her in before the invasion in New York was already foiled. I think those are valid, but I think there might be another factor: Captain Marvel got her powers from the tesseract. What if Fury didn't want her going up against Loki because of the connection between her powers and the infinity gem that was in Loki's control. What kind of influence will Thanos have over Captain Marvel because of this?
This makes me wonder if Carol can do to the Space Stone what Wanda did to the Mind Stone.

Man, I was kind of getting sick of Stan Lee cameos, but now that I know that Endgame and Far From Home are the last two he filmed, I'm really going to miss them.

I think that it could be possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes an issue. But I do think The Avengers explained already why she wasn't paged. Fury said in that movie that the Avengers were his A-team. He defied the orders of the council because he believed his team could handle it. If they couldn't, what was the point in making the team? This was their test; there was no reason to page Carol unless they all failed. And probably why he didn't page her during Age of Ultron. Plus
his conversation with Coulson at the end of Captain Marvel reinforces this. He knows Carol can't be around at the drop of a hat and they need other heroes of equal or near-equal ability. And it's a good thing he realizes this, since we see how long it took Carol to answer his pager.