[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

So kind of as a thing to do, I've started watching the MCU from the beginning and considering I've only seen most of them once, it should be a neat march down memory lane.

I have pages of notes on Iron Man and Hulk to make coherent, but the jist so far is that I really, really like the physical costumes in Iron Man. The Mk 1 cave armor costume is fucking brilliant and was really a Stark contrast from the CG nanobot laziness route they went with in later movies.

The Hulk is fucking meandering and boring and downright stupid in places and the Hulk CG looks fucking awful when it's motion as seen through today's eyes.

We've been going through them again as well, in chronological order, but I can't make myself watch Hulk and the first two Thor. Up to Spider-Man: Homecoming now.

I said it back in 2008, and I will say it again: I always liked Iron Man more than The Dark Knight. This is a hill I will die on.

We've also been rewatching with my son, because now that he is older, we feel more comfortable letting him see a bunch of the MCU films. That does mean that we still haven't shown him the original Iron Man because it's just a little too adult in tone for him yet. But we're also skipping some films because a)he's seen them, or b)they're not as relevant to the over-all.... well, Endgame. This has brought up some debates in our house as to which movies are important, and which are not totally necessary to see. The list we can up with was:

(italics for the ones he has seen prior to this list)
Iron Man 2 - not because it's great, but it does introduce Black Widow, the real Rhodey, Nick Fury with the Avengers Initiative... and the F1 scene.
Thor
Captain America: TFA
The Avengers

Cap - The Winter Soldier
Guardians Vol. 1
Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Civil War
Dr. Strange
Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok
Black Panther*
Captain Marvel
Avengers - Infinity War & Endgame

*Black Panther has caused some debates, because while both Mr. Z and I enjoy it, because it was filmed after Infinity War, it doesn't actually effect the cross-movie story arc. Plus, my son already knows (and loves) T'Challa, and knows about Wakanda, it is, in theory, skippable.

I said it back in 2008, and I will say it again: I always liked Iron Man more than The Dark Knight. This is a hill I will die on.
I've got a related hot take. I think The Dark Knight Rises is that rare exception that proves in the rule that movie sequels don't affect the previous movie. After TDKR came out, all of a sudden, TDK felt 20 minutes too long.

So here's the thing about Iron Man, why, the fuck, did Obadiah Stane want to kill Tony since we learn his plot to kill him began before he became a pacifist. Bruh, he's a super scientist who accidentally creates incredible technologies and is likely making you squarely a member of the .000001%. He was gleefully showing off your micromissile carpet-bombs to the US military who, come the fuck on, pays better than the evil terrorist organization that's made up of many nationalities but mostly arabs.

Someone in his position is evil, not dumb.

So here's the thing about Iron Man, why, the fuck, did Obadiah Stane want to kill Tony since we learn his plot to kill him began before he became a pacifist. Bruh, he's a super scientist who accidentally creates incredible technologies and is likely making you squarely a member of the .000001%. He was gleefully showing off your micromissile carpet-bombs to the US military who, come the fuck on, pays better than the evil terrorist organization that's made up of many nationalities but mostly arabs.

Well, he's also obviously not very bright. He chose to make A BIGGER METAL SUIT to kill Tony with instead of just, I don't know, a big-ass electromagnet?

Stane's ego can't stand the fact that Tony is the head of Stark Industries now. Stane took over the company when Howard died, and through his hard work Stark Industries prospered. And then Tony came back and just snatched it all away and turned Stane into basically a sidekick, and Stane couldn't accept that. The idea was that after Tony died, everything would go back to the way it was. Stane would lead Stark Industries, and the company would prosper. He'd still be filthy rich even without Tony making high-tech weapons.

Last edited:
I half-wrote a few things, but just retreated to yeah fair enough.

I'm eager to hit Winter Soldier. I was a very different person when that came out and for a long time it was my favourite Marvel movie. Kinda wondering what radicalized lefty pothead queer Frank thinks about it over still a self-loathing lawful neutral pig Frank.

And another major character looks to be meeting their end at 1:10.

Redwing.

Alright not major, I didn't even remember it's name and I just finished rewatching Civil War where it's mentioned.

Nice wig, Tony Leung!

Hey, it already looks better than Iron Fist. And it's got half the cast of Crazy Rich Asians. I'll give it a go.

Not as much of a focus on the martial arts as I was hoping. There's martial arts, definitely, but there isn't enough of it in the trailer, and there's also the usual Marvel sci-fi/science-fantasy shenanigans.

Still looks interesting though. I'm gonna watch it.

My daughter immediately turned up her nose at it. I asked why, and she said it feels like they are telling the same story again. According to her it’s “Guy lives privileged life, has wake up call, fights against bad guys while trying to overcome his own personality flaws.”

I could argue that most action/fantasy movies follow that very broad descriptor. But it’s how she feels. I wonder if that’s how more casual audiences will read this too?

Last edited:
I kinda like it.
What I found boring is that nearly every martial arts hero is trained in, formed in, forced to go to, or otherwise dependent on the Far East.
I mean, yes, kung fu and karate and jiu-jitsu, all that, great, but the Eastern Martial Monk is just such a cliché. There were and are perfectly fine Western martial arts too - and China and Japan have other things than samurai and Shaolin links, too.
There's practically only one African hero - Black Panther. There's only one Hispanic hero I can name off the top of my head - Miles Spiderman. There's a gazillion white heroes, of course. And there's... Well, quite a few, Asian ones. But practically all the Asian ones, no matter what term their background is given, boil down to the same stereotype with just "one sword, two swords, staff, hands, chi powers" to differentiate them. Ninjas, monk, samurai, priest, doesn't matter, they all seem to hold the same code and those western heroes who need some "more believable" and "more ancient" martial knowledge - Dr. Strange or Batman as examples - go there for the same.
It's lazy. And yes, I'm sure any combo or type I can think of already exists somewhere. But can we maybe get a serious hero who uses magic based on... Voodoo? Saxon beliefs?
Druids? Slavic customs?
I'm sure people really into Marvel or DC can name a bunch, but those aren't the ones behind mass - marketed.

My daughter immediately turned up her nose at it. I asked why, and she said it feels like they are telling the same story again. According to her it’s “Guy lives privileged life, has wake up call, fights against bad guys while trying to overcome his own personality flaws.”

I could argue that most action/fantasy movies follow that very broad descriptor. But it’s how she feels. I wonder if that’s how more casual audiences will read this too?
Don't tell her about Joseph Campbell then.

Looks rather dark/poorly lit for a MCU film.

I kinda like it.
What I found boring is that nearly every martial arts hero is trained in, formed in, forced to go to, or otherwise dependent on the Far East.
I mean, yes, kung fu and karate and jiu-jitsu, all that, great, but the Eastern Martial Monk is just such a cliché. There were and are perfectly fine Western martial arts too - and China and Japan have other things than samurai and Shaolin links, too.
There's practically only one African hero - Black Panther. There's only one Hispanic hero I can name off the top of my head - Miles Spiderman. There's a gazillion white heroes, of course. And there's... Well, quite a few, Asian ones. But practically all the Asian ones, no matter what term their background is given, boil down to the same stereotype with just "one sword, two swords, staff, hands, chi powers" to differentiate them. Ninjas, monk, samurai, priest, doesn't matter, they all seem to hold the same code and those western heroes who need some "more believable" and "more ancient" martial knowledge - Dr. Strange or Batman as examples - go there for the same.
It's lazy. And yes, I'm sure any combo or type I can think of already exists somewhere. But can we maybe get a serious hero who uses magic based on... Voodoo? Saxon beliefs?
Druids? Slavic customs?
I'm sure people really into Marvel or DC can name a bunch, but those aren't the ones behind mass - marketed.
Jason Alexander is set to play Doctor Druid.

On one hand, she's totally right. We've got a lot of privileged guys running around who suddenly gain even more privilege, and yet after 13 years, we've gotten 2 women-led movies, one of which STILL hasn't been released? It's a fair cop. On the other hand, Marvel's been really lousy about Asian/Asian American representation, especially when they're shown they're willing to retool characters to help diversify. It's nice they're trying to bring in more of the world.
I kinda like it.
Druids? Slavic customs?
I think part of the problem the major of the existence of Marvel and DC comics are white, male writers who don't know how to write what they don't know. (Including women, any POC, etc.) And a lot of them can't be arsed to do even a tiniest bit of stretching or research, resulting in lazy stereotypes.
On the other hand, in more recent years, some writers have been trying to break out of this. Ms. Marvel and America Chavez come to mind as popular characters whose powers have nothing to do with ethnic stereotypes. And until Disney bought Marvel and they got sidelined, X-Men was leading the way to change that. It wasn't prefect, but for every Psylocke, Silver Samurai, or Thunderbird, we got Storm (top-tier, and African, btw), Jubilee, Sunfire, Forge, Bishop,etc.

To be fair, when you say "martial arts" nowadays that's usually the martial traditions being referred to.

There were and are perfectly fine Western martial arts too
Yeah, but no one actually refers to the Marvel Black Knight as a "martial artist", even though he's supposedly using a western tradition of sword fighting. Or DC's Wildcat, who's just a boxer with magical longevity.

Or hell, even Wonder Woman is supposed to be trained in Pankration.