[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Finn Jones, playing Danny Rand in Iron Fist, deleted his Twitter account after arguments with some accusing him of whitewashing by being a white guy playing a white character. :rolleyes:

Finn Jones, playing Danny Rand in Iron Fist, deleted his Twitter account after arguments with some accusing him of whitewashing by being a white guy playing a white character. :rolleyes:
To be fair, I am pretty sure they are not yelling at him for playing a white character. There is a lot of backlash these days when a character is deemed to "appropriate" or "subvert" another culture. A good example of this is the new movie, The Great Wall, in which Matt Damon plays a white colonial drifter that just so happens to become the hero of the movie over all his Chinese co-stars. This is deemed whitewashing because they needed a white male to drive the movie rather then using a Chinese actor, even though the character was written white.

Iron Fist is basically the same type of deal. He stumbles on an ancient mystical Chinese city and becomes a world master of Kung Fu, surpassing his teachers and fellow students, kills a dragon, and gains the title of Iron Fist. So while Iron Fist was always written as a white character, people still see it as appropriation.

Be aware, I don't AGREE with any of the above, I just think it's fair to explain the reasoning rather then "they complained because a white guy plays a white character", which is misleading.

The Great Wall probably isn't the best example since that was done for Chinese audiences who don't consider a movie to be big unless headlined by an American actor, and from what I hear the movie pulls a Big Trouble in Little China where the white lead is not the most competent person, but I didn't see the movie. But I get what you mean.

I just don't see this as a Last Samurai situation because while that's his origin story, it's not what's important to the character. Bruce Wayne does the same thing, traveling all over and becoming better than those who teach him, but nobody bitches at Ben Affleck.

In fact, they should leave the actors out of it. If there's a problem, they should take it up with Stan Lee or whoever the hell came up with Iron Fist.

With The Great Wall, from what I understand, they did that on purpose. It's a Chinese film, but they thought adding Damon would garner them more attention by the Western market. It didn't, sadly, which is a shame because I hear the movie is a lot of fun. But apparently throughout the whole movie, Damon doesn't take on the hero role, but in fact is in complete awe at the Chinese heroes and China in general.

With Iron Fist, I honestly don't understand the controversy. The original character was white. I would've been fine with whatever race the actor was, honestly. But doesn't wanting the character to be Asian only continue the cliche that every Asian is a martial arts expert? It feels like a lose/lose situation in this scenario.

Also, Lockjaw is in The Inhumans and is the giant-sized dog? That alone might make me at least check out the first episode.[DOUBLEPOST=1488820286,1488820242][/DOUBLEPOST]
In fact, they should leave the actors out of it. If there's a problem, they should take it up with Stan Lee or whoever the hell came up with Iron Fist.
Roy Thomas & Gil Kane.

With Iron Fist, I honestly don't understand the controversy. The original character was white. I would've been fine with whatever race the actor was, honestly. But doesn't wanting the character to be Asian only continue the cliche that every Asian is a martial arts expert? It feels like a lose/lose situation in this scenario.
Pretty much.

The Great Wall probably isn't the best example since that was done for Chinese audiences who don't consider a movie to be big unless headlined by an American actor, and from what I hear the movie pulls a Big Trouble in Little China where the white lead is not the most competent person, ...
I'm really curious to see what happens when the remake comes to fruition. The original feels like it's almost in that Blazing Saddles territory where its too politically incorrect to be made today.

I just don't see this as a Last Samurai situation because while that's his origin story, it's not what's important to the character. Bruce Wayne does the same thing, traveling all over and becoming better than those who teach him, but nobody bitches at Ben Affleck.
Because Batman isn't defined specifically by his martial arts training. That is part of his kit, but he isn't called "Bat-Fu Master" or "The Bat Fist".

Iron Fist is specifically defined by the fact he is a Kung Fu master that can focus his Chi into his fists to hit people really hard, with other mystical abilities with vaguely Chinese roots. They can't be compared.

Think of it this way, what if Captain America wasn't a down-to-earth guy from Brooklyn, and instead was a Muslim from Iran that came to American, gained all his abilities through America till he was the greatest American soldier, and then went back to the Middle East to fight super hero crime. You or I may not have a problem with that twist, but someone is going to be outraged considering his entire shtick is "The Ultimate American" and he was not even born into the culture. That is what people see when they see Iron Fist, because his entire shtick is to be the ultimate kung fu master, and he is basically the kid of white socialites.

I definitely agree with this. He has no control over the plot or styling of the series, taking it out on him for getting a paycheck is asinine and accomplishes nothing.

Because Batman isn't defined specifically by his martial arts training. That is part of his kit, but he isn't called "Bat-Fu Master" or "The Bat Fist".

Iron Fist is specifically defined by the fact he is a Kung Fu master that can focus his Chi into his fists to hit people really hard, with other mystical abilities with vaguely Chinese roots. They can't be compared.

Think of it this way, what if Captain America wasn't a down-to-earth guy from Brooklyn, and instead was a Muslim from Iran that came to American, gained all his abilities through America till he was the greatest American soldier, and then went back to the Middle East to fight super hero crime. You or I may not have a problem with that twist, but someone is going to be outraged considering his entire shtick is "The Ultimate American" and he was not even born into the culture. That is what people see when they see Iron Fist, because his entire shtick is to be the ultimate kung fu master, and he is basically the kid of white socialites.

I definitely agree with this. He has no control over the plot or styling of the series, taking it out on him for getting a paycheck is asinine and accomplishes nothing.

Part of the thing, though, is that rather than become the hero of the culture (ie the standard Mighty Whitey trope), Danny Rand is considered to be a fuck up who ruined their prophecy by interfering with their chosen hero. Yes, he killed the dragon and became the Iron Fist. But they don't want him, and instead of revering him as a savior, they more or less exile him.

Scythe, let's make it Pakistan and we got Captain America Kamala Khan. Sounds good to me.

I'm really curious to see what happens when the remake comes to fruition. The original feels like it's almost in that Blazing Saddles territory where its too politically incorrect to be made today.
Are you telling me they're remaking Big Trouble? Because I just don't see that working. What you mention is just one of the reasons.

Goddammit Hollywood, stop trying to remake everything.

And why do they keep ignoring mediocre movies that could be remade into something great? An updated version of The Last Starfighter would be spectacular.

Last edited:
This is almost as bad as that one time Magneto was forcing non-mutants into cremation ovens.
Hey, at least that could have been a message about starring in the abyss and all that.

This is just dumb. They're literally the same group that killed his parents.

Hey, at least that could have been a message about starring in the abyss and all that.

This is just dumb. They're literally the same group that killed his parents.
Next thing you know, Batman is going to start rounding people up and shooting them in alleyways. :rolleyes:

Well, yeah, Superman wants to blow up the Earth, because "if [he] can't have [his] own planet, then no one will! The Kents taught me that!"

WHERE ARE YOU,SNYDER, I'M PRACTICALLY PRINTING MONEY FOR YOU

Well, yeah, Superman wants to blow up the Earth, because "if [he] can't have [his] own planet, then no one will! The Kents taught me that!"

WHERE ARE YOU,SNYDER, I'M PRACTICALLY PRINTING MONEY FOR YOU
If that happens, I want a scene of Diane Lane talking to a holographic Russell Crowe, with one saying, "We tried... we tried to raise your son. We're so sorry." And the other replying, "I'm sorry I unleashed this on your world."