[NFL] Manning out in Indy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a UF alumni, I gotta defend Tebow. I like him both as a quarterback and as a person. There was hardly a nicer person on campus.

Dave

Staff member
As a UF alumni, I gotta defend Tebow. I like him both as a quarterback and as a person. There was hardly a nicer person on campus.
That's great and all, but that doesn't make him an NFL caliber QB. A lot of good college QBs (in fact, almost all) can't make it in the NFL because they're not good enough. The only reason anyone knows about Tebow is because of idiots who see his faith instead of his talent. God gave Tebow talent, but not NFL talent.

The reason people know about Tebow really isn't his faith.

He won two national championships in college, and then as a starter he got credit for.... some high absurd number of come-from-behind, dramatic 4th quarter victories in leading the Broncos to a division title. This wasn't an isolated thing to Tebow -it's the NFL's systemic "everything is a result of the Quarterback" culture. Then he shocked the heavily favored Steelers in the playoffs by throwing for a fuckton of yards(316 lol) including the game winning score.

What's amusing is I hear more about Tebow from people like Dave, than the people Dave is referring to.

Dave

Staff member
What's amusing is I hear more about Tebow from people like Dave, than the people Dave is referring to.
You don't hear any of the news fro Denver then. I have relatives there and hear about it all the time.

Plus, if you watch ESPN at all...

Tebow was a big story because Florida won while Tebow didn't do anything particularly mechanically well as a passer. Fortunately, a college team can get away with doing that.

Then he got a chance on a terrible Denver team, and the team started winning. Mass media equates a team winning to a quarterback winning.

Surprisingly enough, the thing that improved the most after adding Tebow was Denver's rushing offense, which actually was affected directly by Tebow.

Then, in the playoff game, Tebow was actually really good as a passer, again surprising against the #1 passing defense in the NFL.

Overall, though? Mechanically not good, and not accurate as a passer. As a running QB, though? Probably top 5 in the league.

:facepalm:

Pat's a nice guy, but somewhere after that run for President back in '88, he took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

I'm of the mind that Tebow is bad at passing decent at running. And today I wondered if the Jets could use him as a running back with the threat of passing for trick plays.

Then I got to thinking, would it be easier to train a running back to be a good enough passer for this role, or would it make more sense to use an ok passer with decent running skills?

The Jets used to deploy Brad Smith, a QB in college, in the Wildcat. So yeah, it seems pretty likely that's how the Jets will use him.

Nowadays it seems like teams are on the lookout for athletic QBs precisely for such a reason, but there are still relatively few out there who are legitimate running threats. Given the available talent pool, it may be easier to train up a RB by default. Also, I'd guess teams don't want to spend a roster spot on a guy who's only an okay passer and an okay runner. If he can't legitimately backup a spot, he's a luxury teams may not be able to afford.

Dave

Staff member
Tebow would make an excellent TE. He has the size and moves to be able to be one of the most successful TEs in the game. He does not have the skills to be a good QB in the NFL. He could be a TE and still be a viable 3rd/4th string backup just in case, which would mean the roster would be able to be balanced.

But he's probably like that whiner Eric Crouch from Nebraska. Gets drafted into the NFL and St. Louis wanted to use him as either a TE or a WR and keep him as the QB3. He said nope. It was QB or nothing. So they cut his ass. What happened? Bulger and Warner both got hurt - he'd have started at least 2 games. Now he's out of the league having never played a snap on offense (he played Safety for the Hamburg Sea Devils in NFL Europe).

P

PotaDOS

Tebow's press conference was on the television earlier. I think he's really excited to be a Jet. I figured from how he said exactly this thirty-or-more times during his time answering questions.

Also, when he speaks to reporters (press conference or otherwise), he sounds like a small child who's been crying. He has this run-on sentence plus almost always out of breath sound going on.

"So, I got the ball and I saw so-and-so and I threw him the ball (breath) and then he was running and I was running and he scored and (breath) then we were running together and it was really great and then we won the game and (breath) and now you guys are asking me questions about it (breath) and I'm really excited to be a Jet!"

Yeah.

OK, I am not up to snuff on most NFL stats, but is it recorded for QB's the actual distance of passes and not the total yardage gain for the play?

IE Brady pass 8 yards to Welker who runs up field for 22 yards making it a 30 yard pass?

Its 30 passing yards. There are places that you can find more in depth info like that, but the standard passing yards stat includes those.

I know about the yards after catch stat, but is there a recorded thrown yardage stat? Aside from completions/interceptions that would seem to be the best indicator for a QB.

Sort of like (FSM help me) total balls thrown by a starting pitcher in baseball. Does a QB become tired at a certain yard limit?

NFL QB's don't throw as hard or as often as a MLB Pitcher does. 30 passes is a lot. Most starting pitchers will throw 100 pitches at most (rule of thumb, it has been a while since I've seen a lot of baseball.)

They have been keeping track of pitches/strikes for a while, and 100 pitches isn't always the ROT when it comes to starters (Some guys it's 120, some it's 95 - it depends on a lot of things, like injury and effectiveness).

YAC is a stat, but it is only kept for receivers, for some reason.

As long as Tebow isn't starting QB (he just hasn't had the kind of performance to make that a good idea with a new team that no one is sure will be a good fit for him), I say welcome to NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.