makare doesn't know jack about technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most HDTV sets that have motion control will have it turned on by default. It doesn't give me the feelings you're having, but it definitely causes a disconnect when a film like Rocky, made in 1976, looks like it was shot using a cheap camcorder about 10 minutes ago.

figmentPez

Staff member
No matter where I have been watching hd it has been the same.
Does that include other high resolution displays like movie theaters? Or is this just home television sets?

Edit: I think it's entirely plausible that something about HD gives you a headache, there are a lot of possible causes though, and I'm curious if I can narrow it down to a certain technology or flaw.

Odd. At first I thought this was going to be about plasma TVs (they bother me, too). Now I'm wondering if it isn't just a bright-thing-surrounded-by-darkness problem.

--Patrick

Just throwing suggestions, but do sunglasses help? I know some of the women I've worked with got headaches from the florescent lighting and wearing even lightly tinted sunglasses helped them.

Not sure if it's the same issue as yours.

Makare... do you get headaches from both plasma and LCD based HDTV's or just one type?

Do you get headaches from your computer monitor?

M

makare

I have my laptop at a lower resolution but when it is the way it is supposed to be then yeah headache city.

Also, how do I reformat an old computer when I can't even get into safemode?

I can't help but wonder if you're actually sensitive to the fluorescent backlighting from typical LCD screens (or possibly the small text from high resolutions). Do you get headaches from LCD backlit screens?

Also, to reformat and old computer you'll need to boot from your operating system disk and then there should be a way for you to format it from there.

It depends on how old the computer is. If it is old enough that DVD access isn't supported by the motherboard, you need a 3.5 floppy disk to load up the drivers.

Anything newer than, say 8 years old and you should be able to just pop in the OS disk. Of course, that depends on what type of OS you're installing as well. If it's any of the newer versions of windows, you can just throw the disk in and boot from the CD rom.

When is the last time you had your eyes checked? The lower resolution fixing the problem suggests eye strain, which might be correctable using lenses. If you describe your problem to your optometrist, they might have a different prescription to use for movies and such.

Just seems like classic eye strain symptoms...

M

makare

It's not sending any message to the screen so I can't see what is going on. I am pretty sure this all has something to do with my graphics card I just can't do anything about it.

I've watched stuff on lcd with no problem.

It's not sending any message to the screen so I can't see what is going on. I am pretty sure this all has something to do with my graphics card I just can't do anything about it.

I've watched stuff on lcd with no problem.
If nothing is showing up on the display at all, then the graphics adaptor is suspect. So is the processor, memory, power supply, and motherboard, though. Time to start swapping parts until it boots.

The nature of eye strain has to do with distance and resolution. Watch something on an LCD two to ten feet away is very different than watching something on a movie screen thirty feet away. When you have a high resolution display, such as a movie screen, far away, and your eyes can't easily focus on it then you strain your eyes trying to resolve as much detail as you can.

You've alleviated the problem by reducing your computers resolution. There is no more detail to resolve, so your eyes don't go crazy trying to focus on it. Further, it's closer, so it might be in your natural focal range anyway.

The LCD tvs you might be used to might also be in the right range. Is suspect they are in the correct range, and your computer LCD and movie screens are outside it. You've compensated for the computer screen by reducing the resolution, but you can't do that at the theater.

You can live with it, or you can spend $59 and have an optometrist help you figure out if it's something that can be easily fixed with glasses, or altering your current prescription if you alady have glasses or contacts.

Also, as you get older your eyes will naturally change, and it's worthwhile getting checked occasionally, especially if you have any family history of cataracts, glaucoma, high blood pressure, or diabetes. Even if you don't need corrective lenses, you do need to monitor your eye health.

M

makare

Well I went to the eye doctor last year and my eyes are fine. I didn't really talk about the HD issue because it didn't really seem pertinent. Even if HD did not hurt my eyes I simply do not like the look of it especially for images of people. I like my people to look like people not bizarre hyper realistic versions of themselves.

I guess I'll be paying a few hundred to get my desktop fixed :( sadness.

See, if you lived near one of use computer geeks you'd be all set.

I've enjoyed HD since watching the summer 2004 Olympics with it. I can watch a DVD and enjoy it, but I much prefer HD.

I know many people who don't care, and several who like you, prefer the lower resolution. It's interesting that it's such a matter of taste. Pretty soon, though, everything will be in hd...

M

makare

Yeah, it really sucks as far as I am concerned.

My computer geek is in Minneapolis with his dying mother so I am going to accept that my problems are really not problems at all.

M

makare

ok so i upgraded to win 7 and inadvertently deleted my music folder. It's empty but it is still showing up as used space on the hard drive. any ideas how I can find it?

Yeah, if you just deleted it, it should still be in the recycling bin. I don't think CHKDSK will let you retrieve lost files, but you could always access the hard drive outside the OS and navigate to the missing file. I guess the main question would be WHEN you deleted it. Before or after you did the upgrade.

Also, for the record, you generally shouldn't install an upgrade over an existing OS. It's usually preferable to do a clean install. (which you may or may not have done, it's hard to interpret upgrade as "upgraded over the old OS" or "bought an upgrade disk and did a clean install of it")

CHKDSK is for times when the computer doesn't know exactly where the files are, but still has the bitmap marked off as "occupied."

--Patrick

M

makare

I liked being able to just click a button and get to my desktop screen. Is there a way to add that to my win 7 taskbar at the bottom?

In the lower right hand corner of the screen there's a clear bar next to the time and date. If you mouse over that, it shows the desktop, if you click it, it minimizes everything.

I liked being able to just click a button and get to my desktop screen. Is there a way to add that to my win 7 taskbar at the bottom?
Also press the windows key and the letter D at the same time. Very very fast.

win+D - Desktop
win+E - Explorer

There are others, but those are the ones I use, and you should too!

Buy a mouse with programmable buttons.
Map one (or more) of them to reproduce the above key combinations.
???
Profit.

--Patrick

I've got all those hotkeys on my keyboard. It's really nice, you can launch damn near any program you want,control the volume, control the media player. It even has nice DVD control style buttons for watching DVDS.

Now, do I use any of that?

Nope.

I still find and click the old fashioned way. I really under-utilize my hardware sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.