makare doesn't know jack about technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

makare

As some might have seen, I am either going to get a kindle or a ps3 as a gift. I am going to go with the ps3 (I can buy myself the cheaper kindle later >.<)

The problem is I do not know anything about ps3. I have figured out that it will work on my sd tv. What I need to know is which version will actually play my ps2 games and which bundle, if any, makes the most sense to buy.Or is the ps3 worth buying at all?

Any help on this would be appreciated. I seriously do not know what I am doing here.

You're going to be basically out of luck for your PS2 games. Backward compatibility for the PS3 has all but disappeared. You'd have to find an old version, like the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle version.

They don't make PS2-compatible PS3s anymore. Those stopped years ago and you'd have to do some scouring to find one. For the most part if you want PS2 games on there, they have some on the PSN online store for download (meaning you want a PS3 with a sizable HD) and others have been re-released as PS3 games in HD, if you're okay with double-dipping.

As for whether the PS3 is worth getting, largely that depends on what kind of games you play and whether you want a console that doubles as a Blu-Ray player. I have both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, and I use the PS3 more. Because it uses Blu-Ray, larger games don't need to be divided between multiple discs, and if you played PS1 or PS2, you're already very familiar with the controller. There's lots of good games for download from PSN, you can do Netflix...

Really, to me, it comes down to games. If there are games you want to play, get it. If not, it's a waste of money. So maybe let people know what kinds of games you're into and they can tell you whether to bother with it.

M

makare

The game thing has had me worried. I play mostly rpgs and I hate shooting games. If one of the major goals throughout the game is finding "ammo" I am not going to like it. hehe.

I sadly have fallen out of the gaming loop over the past year or so but I can still offer some helpful info. Now the PS3 does offer more JRPG's than the 360 but western RPG's are more diversified between the systems. Now despite the PS3 newer PS3's not being able to play PS2 games they can all play PS1 games. So if you like classic RPG's the PS3 gets an instant bonus for that. Now both the 360 and the PS3 have a nice variety of games available for download (some are new and original and some are just re-releases). Now the PS3 has a lot of their PS1/PS2 games for download which gives a slight edge to the PS3 once again for the RPG's. Now if you plan on watching Netflix instant watch I would give the nod to the PS3 as well. Now the 360 does allow watching Netflix but it makes you have to have a Gold Membership to do so where the PS3 lets you stream Netflix for free.

The game thing has had me worried. I play mostly rpgs and I hate shooting games. If one of the major goals throughout the game is finding "ammo" I am not going to like it. hehe.
Before settling on the PS3 you should have a couple games you know you're going to want. If you can't find any, it might not be worth getting.

Also, as Hylian sort of pointed out--you got a preference for western RPGs (Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age) or JRPGs (Final Fantasy, Persona)?

figmentPez

Staff member
Before settling on the PS3 you should have a couple games you know you're going to want. If you can't find any, it might not be worth getting.
Also, check to make sure those games can be played on an SDTV. Some games have text that's too small to read if you don't have an HDTV.

M

makare

I thought about that FF 13. Is it turn based or did they stick with gambits? After the gambits I don't think I have the patience for turn based any more.

I am starting to think it just might not be the right time for a ps3.. sigh.

I thought about that FF 13. Is it turn based or did they stick with gambits? After the gambits I don't think I have the patience for turn based any more.

It's Gambits 2.0, where you don't really direct actions anymore, you just kinda direct the theme of combat.

I hated it.

It's worse than the gambits.

M

makare

yeah i just read a few things about it. doesn't look to fun. I loved the gambit system.

Maybe you should get a Kindle?

PS3 JRPGs of note:

Valkyria Chronicles (real-time tactical RPG, so almost a shooter)
Disgaea 3 (turn-based tactical RPG, a la Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, but different)
Eternal Sonata (turn-based RPG)

Those are the ones I know. On the Wii recently came out The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles. I know PSP/Vita has the Persona games and the DS has other Atlus titles like Devil Survivor.

Unlike during the PS1 days, the genre is kind of scattered.

Maybe you should get a Kindle?

PS3 JRPGs of note:

Valkyria Chronicles (real-time tactical RPG, so almost a shooter)
Disgaea 3 (turn-based tactical RPG, a la Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, but different)
Eternal Sonata (turn-based RPG)

Those are the ones I know. On the Wii recently came out The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles. I know PSP/Vita has the Persona games and the DS has other Atlus titles like Devil Survivor.

Unlike during the PS1 days, the genre is kind of scattered.
Disgaea 4 came out last fall, they finally updated the sprites for HD.

makare If you don't have an HDTV and you're main area of interest is RPGs you might not want a PS3. Developers design their text for HD resolution and the results tend to be unreadable on a SDTV. In addition the PS3 is great as a blu-ray player (and dvd player, which it upscales great) which provide no benefit to you

M

makare

I play mostly rpgs because I find out about games from my friends who play mostly rpgs. I am open to other games. I just don't like fps or well, any shooting games.

I like zelda I don't even know what kind of game that would be. Is zelda rpg? With games it is more of that whole I don't know games but I know what I like type thing.

List some games then :p. Sheesh, we gotta do all the work.

Like Zelda: Okami and Darksiders, the former being on PS2 and Wii, the latter being on PS3.

M

makare

I was listing some games and then i realized they are all nintendo games :( like zelda, paper mario, donkey kong, mario games.. etc

For ps2 i mostly play ff10, ff12, and my sister played gta which i suck at.

The HDTV is a huge, huge thing. A lot developers simply don't bother making SD-friendly games anymore for HD systems. I'd be very hesitant about getting a PS3 without knowing exactly which games I wanted and knew for certain that they were also playable in SD.

Disgaea 3 & 4 are supposedly pretty good in SD. Valkyria Chronicles *might* be (lots of big text in battle, though the lore screens will probably be too small to read).

I'll agree with everyone that without an HDTV, a PS3 wouldn't really be a wise investment. You lose a great deal of the functionality of the system on a SDTV.

Do you already have a wii? Because that sounds like what you need. I regret greeting rid of my sdtv, as I can't play Wii without it looking like crap now.

Valkyria Chronicles is turn based, not real time. It's absolutely nothing like a shooter. If anything it's more like Shining Force.
I guess I have my terms crossed. But there is aiming! I know, 'cause I beat the game without realizing you could be leveling up your squad, so I had to aim well.

You know, while the enemy waited... Although they do shoot at you while you're moving if you're in sight.

The aiming is static, not like a shooter. yes, you do have to line up the shots, but the action freezes so you can line up the shots. The damage isn't aim dependent, but skill dependent.

Now I want to break the game out again.

Do you already have a wii? Because that sounds like what you need. I regret greeting rid of my sdtv, as I can't play Wii without it looking like crap now.
It depends on the game. Skyward Sword looked great in HD, but most of the earlier releases looked like complete ass when in HD.

M

makare

I didn't even think about my wii and the hd thing. I just can't win in this generation of games. I hate HD stuff because it hurts my eyes but if I dont move to HD i miss out on a lot of games.

waaaah first world problems. also i might have ebola.

M

makare

When I watch HD stuff it makes my eyes and head hurt. I don't know why. It doesn't have to make sense to you.

I'm still wondering how it's possible.... I'm not saying you're lying, it just literally doesn't compute with me.

Have you mentioned it to your doctor? That level of extreme sensitivity could be indicative of a deeper problem.

When I watch HD stuff it makes my eyes and head hurt. I don't know why. It doesn't have to make sense to you.
Do you have the motion control turned on? Manufacturers give it different names for marketing purposes, but it all works out the same way... making a 30 year old feature film look like a cheap telenovela live broadcast. Just looks unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.