Export thread

Like limits.

Dave

Dave

Seems we have a serial liker or two who are using the rating system as their own agenda, following people around and annoying them. No, it doesn't hurt anything, but the alerts and stuff do get annoying so I'm calling this a form of spam attack and putting an end to it.

I've loaded an addon that SHOULD limit the number of likes available to 5 per 24 hour period. That is, if I set it up right. If you're good little boys and girls I might turn it off or make the number higher (I know some people read in chunks and rate so this will be a pain in their ass), but I'm sick of complaints. JUSTIFIED complaints, I might add.

So tell me if I set it up wrong and I'll fix it.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Dave, I think you killed @Bubble181

Dave

Dave

That's my worry. I wonder if I can set it individually.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

:rofl:

Dave

Dave

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

That's fine, I'll just do replies if it's an issue.

Dave

Dave

That's fine, I'll just do replies if it's an issue.
You're not the only one. Your name was mentioned, but you aren't the only one.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

You're not the only one. Your name was mentioned, but you aren't the only one.
Oh I'm sure, I'm just saying what's next, limits on replies? They'll still get an alert when there is a reply.

Dave

Dave

Oh I'm sure, I'm just saying what's next, limits on replies?
That's one.[DOUBLEPOST=1398739126,1398739117][/DOUBLEPOST]And no.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Maybe you could just try to stop trolling...

Celt Z

Celt Z

Seems we have a serial liker or two who are using the rating system as their own agenda, following people around and annoying them. No, it doesn't hurt anything, but the alerts and stuff do get annoying so I'm calling this a form of spam attack and putting an end to it.

I've loaded an addon that SHOULD limit the number of likes available to 5 per 24 hour period. That is, if I set it up right. If you're good little boys and girls I might turn it off or make the number higher (I know some people read in chunks and rate so this will be a pain in their ass), but I'm sick of complaints. JUSTIFIED complaints, I might add.

So tell me if I set it up wrong and I'll fix it.
Was it me? I'm sorry if it was me. I just use it to acknowledge/agree with a post without writing another post. I swear there wasn't an agenda! :oops:

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Maybe you could just try to stop trolling...
As my kids would say when they were younger -I'll stop when they stop!- :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

Huh. I didn't know this was going on.
Why do I never know what's going on until it's been capped/deleted/farewellthreaded/etc?
I miss so much.

--Patrick

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Huh. I didn't know this was going on.
Why do I never know what's going on until it's been capped/deleted/farewellthreaded/etc?
I miss so much.

--Patrick
Oh it's partially because I do funny replies on Charlie's posts and recently Jay started spamming me with Dislikes so I returned the favor.

Jay

Jay

Jay started spamming me with Dislikes so I returned the favor.

2 disagrees on different threads on different days = Spamming?

Even if you thought it was that.... what this then?

Untitled.jpg

So petty.

I reported it to Dave so he could take care of it with you privately so you can chill out and I could do something better with my time.... instead we got this tragedy of a thread with no purpose and you lying out of your trolling ass as you usually do.

Get over yourself... people will disagree with you on occasion, learn to deal with it... IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

You're a parent dude... grow the fuck up man.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh it's partially because I do funny replies on Charlie's posts and recently Jay started spamming me with Dislikes so I returned the favor.
Maybe it wasn't spam, and he just actually dislikes your posts.

Dave

Dave

Not the only report, by the way, and not the only target of the report. Let's not witch hunt for no reason.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Likes are now a precious currency, to be bartered and traded.

"Hey, I'll 'love' that post of yours for 'likes' on three of my posts in the same thread."

"Whaaaat? No way, best I can do is a 'like' and a 'brofist.'"

"Oi, don't you jerk me around man! A 'like' and a 'brofist?' That's an insulting offer, man! I'll use up one of my quota and 'needs a lock' one of your posts, I swear on me mum!"

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh God, Jay's brofist whoring is going to get so much worse.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Not the only report, by the way, and not the only target of the report. Let's not witch hunt for no reason.
We're going to find out that all of us had lice all along, aren't we.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

This is why this place needs a "this is why we can't have nice things" tag. ;)

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

2 disagrees on different threads on different days = Spamming?

Even if you thought it was that.... what this then?

View attachment 14727

So petty.

I reported it to Dave so he could take care of it with you privately so you can chill out and I could do something better with my time.... instead we got this tragedy of a thread with no purpose and you lying out of your trolling ass as you usually do.

Get over yourself... people will disagree with you on occasion, learn to deal with it... IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

You're a parent dude... grow the fuck up man.

I knew immediately it was you, Charlie's grown a thicker skin lately.

Docseverin

Docseverin

This is a thing? Seriously?

grub

grub

There goes one Like I'll never get back. :(

Telephius

Telephius

At one point we had an ignore poster option. Instead is their an option to just blacklist a posters alerts but still be able to read their posts?

EDIT:
This is a thing? Seriously?
The board has been drama free lately and the Naiwen sacrifice was not succulent enough to please the tumultuous Hal Gods

Krisken

Krisken

Right? My ego is going to take one hell of a blow!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Bubble181

Bubble181

Um, y'know....Either it's not working, or the forum's gained sentience and realized I needed my ratings or I'd go back to replying to each and every post "yup", "feel for you", "I know the feeling", "hah lol", and so on - I just went around and handed out about 15 likes or so :confused:

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Bowielee

Bowielee

I do not like this.

The rest of us shouldn't be limited because of some immature people.

Penalize the people doing it, not the whole board.

Covar

Covar

I say we burn the witches!

Let's not witch hunt for no reason.
But I have my duck and scales all ready to go.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I say we burn the witches!

But I have my duck and scales all ready to go.
Well, there you go! Good enough reason for me! Now let's get this bonfire going....

Dave

Dave

I do not like this.

The rest of us shouldn't be limited because of some immature people.

Penalize the people doing it, not the whole board.
I'm trying to find a number that won't affect most people but will stop spamming. Maybe 5 an hour?

Oh, and you can do it by user, which is why @Bubble181 was able to go nuts. :D

Bowielee

Bowielee

If you can do it by user, just restrict the problem users, then.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I guess my main concern is that there are a couple people who are practically lurkers and the only way they really communicate is through likes and such. Bubble may be the prime example, but I'm sure there are others.

Restricting everyone seems like an atom bomb solution for an firecracker problem.

evilmike

evilmike

@Bowielee is right. I don't see the logic in breaking a system that works fine for most of the users when a handful are being a problem and could be limited individually. I'm also a little concerned that this whole process went from "there is a problem" to "I'll fix it with code" without ever considering the "asking the troublemakers to stop" step.

Dave

Dave

Your points have been heard.

Tress

Tress

Sounds like some of you are being fucking stupid. Knock it off.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sounds like some of you are being fucking stupid. Knock it off.
No, no. You're doing it wrong. It's like this...

GasBandit

GasBandit

This has been the real reason my "likes" are so rare. All along I've been limited to around 1 per month.

Covar

Covar

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm also a little concerned that this whole process went from "there is a problem" to "I'll fix it with code" without ever considering the "asking the troublemakers to stop" step.
I think the "please stop making trouble" has been mostly private. Nothing antagonizes more than calling someone out in public. When has Teacher calling a bully out in front of the whole school to tell him "you're not being very nice. Shake hands and be a good boy now!" ever worked out? :p

Emrys

Emrys

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
I thought we were an autonomous collective.

Dave

Dave

Doing it by user. Nothing more to see here. Move along.

blotsfan

blotsfan

GasBandit

GasBandit

ninjahedge.jpg

Covar

Covar

I thought we were an autonomous collective.
You're foolin' yourself! We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy.

Emrys

Emrys

You're foolin' yourself! We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy.
What? You're not going to bring class into it again?

Covar

Covar

Well...that is what it's all about!

We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.

Tress

Tress

I think the "please stop making trouble" has been mostly private. Nothing antagonizes more than calling someone out in public. When has Teacher calling a bully out in front of the whole school to tell him "you're not being very nice. Shake hands and be a good boy now!" ever worked out? :p
I have called out the bully in public, and threatened him with utter destruction, and it has worked.

See, teaching has its perks! :awesome:

Emrys

Emrys

Well...that is what it's all about!

We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.
You hear that, @Dave? We're taking over.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I had a professor who literally layed down on the floor and started crying to make her students feel bad. To be fair, they were terrible students, and it did work.

Dave

Dave

I'm willing to try that.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Put the cat back on.

Fun Size

Fun Size

All I'm taking from any of this is that I'm not getting nearly enough likes around here. What does it take to make this all about me, dammit?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

This is why this place needs a "this is why we can't LIKE nice things" tag. ;)
FTFY. ;)

Emrys

Emrys

I'm willing to try that.
We will, of course, need video of this. Or you will have to do it live on UStream.

Espy

Espy

NEW RULE: If you spam anyone with likes you are forced into an automatic webcam chat with Dave. He will cry for an hour while he drinks from his gigantic tub of lemonade. Or maybe he's in a tub of lemonade. It's unclear. Point is, you're fucked.

Emrys

Emrys

NEW RULE: If you spam anyone with likes you are forced into an automatic webcam chat with Dave. He will cry for an hour while he drinks from his gigantic tub of lemonade. Or maybe he's in a tub of lemonade. It's unclear. Point is, you're fucked.
Can he be mauled by his cat while he does this?

Espy

Espy

I'm not sure he has any control over that.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I honestly just want to see this film now. In my head there's a soundtrack with an accordion, and a mime is occasionally walking through the background, pausing to mock him dramatically.

Dave

Dave

Next time I'll record it, but it slows things down a bit.

Zappit

Zappit

All this like/dislike nonsense. We're getting to be as bad as Facebook.

We are not Facebook. God willing, we are not Facebook.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

All this like/dislike nonsense. We're getting to be as bad as Facebook.

We are not Facebook. God willing, we are not Facebook.
There is far too little tinfoil hattery for us to be Facebook. By multiple light years.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

hahahahahahahha

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

NEW RULE: If you spam anyone with likes you are forced into an automatic webcam chat with Dave. He will cry for an hour while he drinks from his gigantic tub of lemonade. Or maybe he's in a tub of lemonade. .

Go on...

Espy

Espy

We'll need to ask anyone under 30 to leave the room because if I go on it's going to get WEIRD.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

We'll need to ask anyone under 30 to leave the room because if I go on it's going to get WEIRD.

It'll be a Dave lemon party! :)

Espy

Espy

That jug of lemonade ain't gonna drink itself. Thats all I'm saying.

Emrys

Emrys

:popcorn:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Okay, so is this for the first offense, or will it be repeated as necessary, ad nauseam? 'cause I might be making Dave do this more often than he'd like....

Dave

Dave

Espy

Espy

I love this place.

Krisken

Krisken

I both love and am terrified of this place.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I love this place, but am terrified of what it could become if it turned to...the dark side.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This place makes me all hot and bothered.

Well, bothered.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This place makes me all hot and bothered.

Well, bothered.
Like your prom night?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

ಠ_ಠ