Letters of Recommendation

The time has come where I need to get 5 letters of recommendation (3 for one grad school I'm applying t0 and 2 for another). I feel like I shouldn't ask although I am sure that professors are used to being asked for them. Yes, yes, I am needlessly self-conscious about being a needy little beggar.
So...how do I approach them without it coming out like "Hi! Remember me? Not really? Well, fill out this paper anyway. Thanks!"

And, no, I don't think I should sleep with any of the faculty in order to get a form filled out. :p

Like I said, it's five total. I'm applying to two different schools. One requires three letters and the other requires only two. I also have to take the GRE for one, but not the other. Although if I get into the latter it'll be for their school counseling program and I'll need to take the Praxis core test instead. Sheesh. (exaggerated whine) Applying to grad schools is hard.

I have written several recommendation letters and done a ton of references. Just give them a call and ask. If there is something very specific needed, send them all the information they need and offer to provide online examples. Let them know if there are super tight deadlines etc :)

fade

Staff member
If you were a grad student, your professor remembers you. Probably even remembers you if you were a major. They'll do it. You may have to remind them a few times. I'm no longer a prof, but I still write letters for former students all the time.

Agree totally with all the above. Don't worry about bugging them or them not remembering you.

Do make it as easy as possible for them.

-give them addressed and stamped envelopes
-give them deadlines
-tell them which program/area of interest so they can write a better letter
-go by for their office hours so they can ask you questions/chat

Some professors have a form letter and just fill in your details. Other (good professors) write specific letter for each person.

Good luck @WasabiPoptart!

Agree totally with all the above. Don't worry about bugging them or them not remembering you.

Do make it as easy as possible for them.

-give them addressed and stamped envelopes
-give them deadlines
-tell them which program/area of interest so they can write a better letter
-go by for their office hours so they can ask you questions/chat

Some professors have a form letter and just fill in your details. Other (good professors) write specific letter for each person.

Good luck @WasabiPoptart!
I was wondering if I should include the stamped, addressed envelopes, too. I mean, it makes sense to since I want to actually get it sent!

I was wondering if I should include the stamped, addressed envelopes, too. I mean, it makes sense to since I want to actually get it sent!
YES! Not having those makes things such a pain in the ass. Here it is from the perspective of the professor:

1.) Do I know you well enough to write a letter that is worth my time?
1a.) Am I feeling kind enough to do it even if I barely know you?
2.) Did you give me enough notice to write the letter? I need more than a week. More than a month notice would be nice.
3.) If I have said yes, give me all the details: Programs you are applying to, due dates, schools, your personal statement, the classes you took from me and the grades I gave you.
4.) Give me the stamped envelopes, already addressed! Fill out forms to the best of your ability with names, addresses, etc. Make my job as easy as possible.
5.) Sending a letter to more than one place is no big deal. If I've written one letter, I can tailor it easily many times over. You just need me to say yes once.
6.) A gentle reminder the week before is okay. But know your letter-writer. Some may see reminders as insulting. Others may need many reminders.

Basically, get three people to write you a letter, the best they can. Make it easy for them. Don't get in the way and let them do it.

Like I said, it's five total. I'm applying to two different schools. One requires three letters and the other requires only two. I also have to take the GRE for one, but not the other. Although if I get into the latter it'll be for their school counseling program and I'll need to take the Praxis core test instead. Sheesh. (exaggerated whine) Applying to grad schools is hard.
Honestly, if you don't know the professors well enough to write you a letter of recommendation, they probably won't be good letters.

If you've majored in a course, I'm sure you have a good feeling about what professors would give you a good recommendation and those who would not.

My Masters program only required 3, but I got 4 total, just in case. One of which came from the director of the McNair program at my school as I had worked closely with her. Also, the professors don't necessarily need to be in your major focus. Having diverse letters with professors that you KNOW can speak to your strengths with some authority is better than a few tacit letters from professors you hardly know in your major.