[Soccer] Lets talk soccer

The economy sucks, politics suck, climate change is coming and will suck, everyone is quickly getting poorer, but hey, football! Whooo!
Bread & circuses, still holds true.

A number of (European) teams had agreed with Fifa that they could mount minimalist protest on the field against oppression and for human rights and so on - the captain would wear a rainbow arm band instead of a one-colored one. Larger tokens were already off the table.
Now England, the Netherlands et al have been informed that wearing a rainbow band will result in a yellow card for the captain in question.
"we were willing to risk a fine, but not a yellow card" so England and the Netherlands, at least, have decided to abide and not show any sort of protest at all.
Gosh, all that "tolerance" and "unite people everywhere" and "human rights" talk and all those commercials against racism sure matter huh Fifa?
Pathetic, and perhaps an even more powerful statement of "in big sports the only thing that matters is money and keeping the status quo, no civil disobedience or making fans think allowed" than the whole kneeling thing in the USA.
Qatar could protest all they want, they could write a fine or whatever, but sports penalties? Those are not for the host to determine. What's next, gay players aren't allowed? No colored hair? No music?

So apparently even though it's in Qatar, it's Saudi Arabia that paid off their opponents and the refs? :aaah:
That second Saudi goal really was a good action, though, well done.

So apparently even though it's in Qatar, it's Saudi Arabia that paid off their opponents and the refs? :aaah:
That second Saudi goal really was a good action, though, well done.
If they did I hope they got a partial refund for the amount of time the ref added on after the Saudi keeper accidentally hit one of his own defenders with the Atomic Hyper Knee of Death!

Argentina, well Messi and those other guys, played just like Argentina of late. Score early, get complacent and try to scramble to stay in the game.

OMG. Japan with the upset over Germany. Germany pulled an Argentina with getting a bit complacent and Japan just continuously building the pressure. The game winner was a great play, highlight of the tournament so far.

Well. Belgium had a match. It was played. We have a result.
I don't think there's anything else positive to say about that performance.

Courtois was great, as usual.

Well. Belgium had a match. It was played. We have a result.
I don't think there's anything else positive to say about that performance.

Courtois was great, as usual.
Well… they didn’t allow Canada to score their first ever WC goal. That’s a positive, right?

Obviously horrible and all but... You're in a country in the middle of social unrest, the football team and their family were openly threatened with violence, hundreds have been killed for simply being out on the streets at the wrong time, and you tihnk it's a good idea to celebrate the Great Satan's win over the team of the Holy Republic? That was, perhaps, not the wisest course of action possible.

I was unable to watch it thanks to cable company turf wars but I kept up on the ESPN site and was still excited. I’ll be able to watch the replay later.

Had the game on my phone though
2 1/2 church services, I’m our video director/producer so I was in my own room. That was the best finals game in years. Messi getting the goals he did was incredible, and not surprised that he’s now changed his mind about retiring from international play.

Messi getting the goals he did was incredible, and not surprised that he’s now changed his mind about retiring from international play.
Huh I would’ve thought he’d be happy to go out on top and only keep doing it if he still hadn’t won one.

Huh I would’ve thought he’d be happy to go out on top and only keep doing it if he still hadn’t won one.
He’s been really wishy-washy the past couple of years about international play. He has gone from playing to not to playing but this is it and now I’m not retiring.

So I've been determinedly avoiding following this World Cup because I don't like all the stuff that's gone into Qatar hosting it, but I'd just like to say I'm happy Messi's finally got one.

Erling Haaland just broke the Manchester City record for most goals scored by one player in a single season (he's on 39 for the season). For context they've still got another 11 Premier League games to go. At least 2 more Champions League games - 5 if they reach the Final. Between 1-3 FA Cup games depending on their results.

That means he hasn't just broken the record, he's broken it with at least 14 games & potentially up to 19 games still to play. And he's averaging more than a goal a game!

Der Kaiser, Franz Beckenbauer has died at the age of 78. One of the greatest footballers ever & one of only three men to have won the World Cup as both a player and a manager. In a slightly spooky coincidence that's less than a week after Mario Zagallo the first man to do so also died.

See here's the problem with holding the World Cup (partially) in the US. They have so little respect for the game the Final will be held in *shudder* New Jersey! :puke: