[Soccer] Lets talk soccer

That may be how he'd like to spin it, but the side's form has been crap. So it was probably coming anyway.
Indeed, but given that they have a cup final coming up, which represents Tottenham's only chance of silverware this season, to sack him now seems very odd. I would've figured he'd be sacked in the summer, after they've got a permanent replacement lined up.

It’s the old “If you don’t, someone else will” play. And it has worked for major professional sports leagues - for the most part - for over a century.
If - and this is a very big IF - FIFA actually holds true and anyone playing in the Euroleague can't compete on the national scale or in the domestic leagues, this is dead on arrival. But they won't. And thus, it won't. And the further stratification into different levels of play continues.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt players care that much about playing for their countries when they have an extra 10 million euros a year dangled in front of their faces.

That being said, I feel like the domestic leagues actually will hold firm on kicking out the teams that do this. I don't think they like the idea of turning into a minor league, which if this league happens will be the case no matter what. I get that their TV deals will plummet if they lose the big squads but they will probably also plummet in the future if they don't. My gut says that if this league happens, it's something that ends up hurting everyone longterm.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt players care that much about playing for their countries when they have an extra 10 million euros a year dangled in front of their faces.

That being said, I feel like the domestic leagues actually will hold firm on kicking out the teams that do this. I don't think they like the idea of turning into a minor league, which if this league happens will be the case no matter what. I get that their TV deals will plummet if they lose the big squads but they will probably also plummet in the future if they don't. My gut says that if this league happens, it's something that ends up hurting everyone longterm.
The players may not care. The public does. A Portugal without Ronaldo against Argentina without Messi? Who cares?
It may work out for the current generation of superstar players, but the next one? Nuh-uh.
Of course, we may see two competing sports come out of this - one with camera control and such, the other one without; or one with more or less allowances for doping; I can see the rules start to diverge if they don't have to follow one another... Not sure anyone wants that, though.

It's a decision that I can only see working in the favor of a small group of super-rich, and even so, not necessarily long term.

Here's my question: how many games do top-tier teams in Europe actually play during a given calendar year? I mean, yeah, the Premiership has 38 regular season games, but in addition to the Champions League and all the other "super" leagues, how many games would a team like, say, ManU or Real Madrid actually play in a given calendar year?

Here's my question: how many games do top-tier teams in Europe actually play during a given calendar year? I mean, yeah, the Premiership has 38 regular season games, but in addition to the Champions League and all the other "super" leagues, how many games would a team like, say, ManU or Real Madrid actually play in a given calendar year?
Using Man Utd in the 2019-2020 season as a rough benchmark, they played 67 matches in total, including league matches, cup matches, continental matches, friendlies, etc. Obviously this would vary somewhat for other teams, due to factors like a different number of teams in the league, different cup competitions and formats, making it farther in cup and continental competitions, etc.

I think a general rule of thumb for teams in continental competitions is two games a week: domestic league/cup games on the weekends, and continental games mid-week. Though continental competitions don't always play every week, so sometimes they'll just play one game for that week.

This would be the equivalent of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs partnering up with the best teams from the Dominican, Cuban, KBO and JPL leagues to form a "super league" - for a sheer money grab, right?

This would be the equivalent of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs partnering up with the best teams from the Dominican, Cuban, KBO and JPL leagues to form a "super league" - for a sheer money grab, right?
I could see the (Yomiuri) Giants and (Hanshin) Tigers being allowed in the rich kids' club, but Dominican and Cuban? Not a chance. The quality of play might be there, but they're still peasants. And peasants need not apply.

Lionel Messi is no longer a free agent.

Lionel Messi has joined PSG, to create an attacking trio of Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe.

If they still don't win the Champions League I'm going to laugh at them forever.

Last edited: