Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

The website
The first update

TV Tropes page
TV Tropes Character Page
Tom Siddell's Twitter
The Wiki

Gunnerkrigg Court is an urban fantasy webcomic by Tom Siddell following Antimony "Annie" Carver and Katerina "Kat" Donlan as they attend Gunnerkrigg Court, a large boarding school.

Every chapter is a self-contained story arc, that, over time, begin to tie together to form a larger, more cohesive narrative.

Read it from the beginning. The art gets better.

This thread is for posting of updates and discussion of the comic. If you still want to post about it in the WCAJ, go ahead. Post about it here too.

If you like Gunnerkrigg Court, you might also like:
Rice Boy

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The newest update has me a bit confused. Everyone says the "act" Carver was putting on was not the way she normally is, however we saw with her explosion with Mort, that is very much how her personaility works. So with this new update of "Softer/Apologetic" Carver, everyone is saying that "Oh now she's back to normal" I'm not biting.

I also think the crush Jack has on Zimmy is fantastic and a nice little twist. However is it based on the fact that she showed him who he really is/can be or is it actual attraction?

Gusto

Gusto

I actually took Jack's fascination with Zimmy as some sort of misguided affection as a result of post-hypnotic suggestion.

He was basically brainwashed, I think. He's the Zimmerian Candidate.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Well we know his previous obsession with her was to return to the otherside because of the spiders. However now that he's "free and clear" I think there has to be something more to it now. Maybe because she freed him? I dunno.

Gusto

Gusto

What I'm saying is I don't think he is as free and clear as he thinks he is.

I thought part of the "joke" in that strip was the idea that he's like "Yeah I'm totally not obsessed with her anymore, I'm just in love with her, it's TOTALLY different!"
Added at: 12:27
But not really the point.

I'm with you, I don't think Annie's been acting "out of character", necessarily. She was just conconcting some misguided ruse.

I just think she looks better with her hair down. :)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Page for Friday, September 16th

Jones counts. Up yours, Jack.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Considering she may be a woodland creature, I'm not sure she does. Then again, who's "normal" in this series anyway? Big Mr. E's pretty much got it together, with the exception of his previous love issue. Kat's parents have got it pretty together too. So I'm not sure that was a valid comfort for Jack to mention....

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Terminators have a mission preprogrammed in. How can Jones not know what she wants out of life?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I dunno, seems she has alot of "past" coming up at her here and there. Not to mention with Coyote's comment bothering her in the last forrest visit, I'm not 100% sure on her life certainty.

Wahad

Wahad

Let's go on a speculative trip here regarding the nature of Miss Jones.

What we know:

- She is inhuman, or superhuman, given the scenes in chapter 28 where she 1-inch-punches through a concrete wall, and the scenes in chapter 17 where she deflects a sword with her face (and bare hands). Renard makes a remark about her weight in 28 - it is implied the rickety wooden bridge (and rope on the wall) would not support her. This makes her not a human who has learned superhuman feats, like Eglamore or Mrs. Donlan, but at least partly something else.
- She is, however, not a robot (as Tom has repeatedly stated)
- Coyote calls her Wandering Eye. The implication is (and has been even before this namedrop) that she has a) lived for a long, long time, b) traveled far and wide and c) seen a great deal of things (recall this page). Also, both Jones and Wandering Eye are simply monikers - she has apparently had a great many names. Besides that, she is highly observant and studious - almost like a walking, talking encyclopedia that instead of being compiled by a bunch of experts, compiles all the articles on her own.
- She is neutral and not beholden to anyone, as an observation made by Antimony in chapter 17. Although Jones herself dismisses it as irrelevant, chapter 31 shows the contrary - Coyote is highly aware of her neutrality, going so far as to play it against her by implying she works for the Court.
- She can not use a Blinker stone. Whether she can or can not use other Etheric things is unknown, but seeing as how a Blinker stone acts as a sort of magnification glass for a person's etheric qualities, it is not implausible to assume that she can't.
- At some point in the past, she was ''involved'' with the Forest, perhaps in a way not dissimilar to her current position in the court. However, at some point, she stood up against the might of Coyote and Ysengrin combined - see here - and left. Whether she immediately joined the Court or traveled for a while is unknown, and most likely will be forever.

What we can deduce:

- One theory states she is one of Coyote's ''eyes'' that we see appearing in his forms many times - not just in his proper eyesockets, but in his shoulder joints, on his chest and in his "etheric form" as well. If this is true, she apparently developed - or was given - consciousness at some point and separated from Coyote in order to lead her own life. This is mostly based on the information in chapter 31 and the name 'Wandering Eye'. It could account for her other features - remember that Coyote's tooth transformed into the keenest blade on earth, and his eyes are, allegedly, the sun and moon. Increased density of form and superhuman strength is, therefore, not unthinkable. The problem lies in her lack of Blinker stone ability - an offshoot of Coyote should be able to use Etheric Science, as he is the prime example of an etheric being.
- Another theory states that she is a form of Golem, going mostly off of her apparent superhuman features. Although plausible, there are some things that need be addressed, such as the fact that she is, to all appearances, an autonomous being with mental faculties equal to, if not higher than, sapient beings. Golems, on the other hand, are statues of inanimate matter, awakened and controlled by a rune as servants.
- I have no real definitive opinion on what Jones is. It is unlikely that she is an elemental - Annie said in chapter 32 that Ysengrin tried to explain what Jones is, but didn't necessarily succeed. This means that either she is not something we know in this reality or fiction, or Annie simply did not have the experience and wisdom that Ysengrin and others have to comprehend the nature of Jones' being. However it may turn out, it seems plausible that she is old enough to be immortal or at least nigh-immortal; that her biological make-up is of some form of stone or metal, repurposed or shape-shifted to pass as human; and that her desire to learn and abilities of observation make her into a scholar more than anything else, a Watcher of the world and its happenings (but mostly the Court and the Forest), an Adviser to those who wish to learn, and a Collector of knowledge.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Very very nicely written and explained. I wouldn't have considered her one of Coyote's Eyes but I could see that. She's very obviously not human or robot. She's definitely woodland related. It's a fun thing to speculate but the Coyote Eye thing is the closest I would have ever guessed.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Y'know... 'cause I _NEEDED_ another webcomic to follow... still, this is some FANTASTIC stuff... thanks to y'all for introducing me to it.

I'm digging this new look for Annie... more "fey,", also tying in to the fact that her time in the forest has both made her more animated in her dealings with others, but also more in tune with her inner serenity (via Ysengrim's meditations).

I have heartily enjoyed every single strip in this series, I've loved watching both the art and the characters progress (and yes, I'm a sucker for watching a good love story play itself out - poor Paz! ), and I can't wait to see where this goes from here.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Y'know... 'cause I _NEEDED_ another webcomic to follow
Yes you do.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I know how you feel, Charon. I have at least 20+ comics a week to read.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Wahad

Wahad

Paz's eyes are staring into my soul.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This comic's starting to lose me. I thought I was watching something whimsical and fantastical... not some American Pie sequel with celtic overtones.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This comic's starting to lose me. I thought I was watching something whimsical and fantastical... not some American Pie sequel with celtic overtones.
They do break chapters every once in awhile. If the Drama was always on, things would get too intense... hence the breather.

Gusto

Gusto

It DOES feel like it's time for this chapter to end.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They do break chapters every once in awhile. If the Drama was always on, things would get too intense... hence the breather.
I didn't mind the pigeon stuff or the other break comics. It's only been this current "omg sooo the drama look we're teens partying in secret and playing the mandolin" stuff that's making my interest fade.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm actually glad they "straight up" came out about it now and didn't keep up the silly charade. My only complaint was, why the hell was there ever a charade in the first place?

Gusto

Gusto

Huh!

:D

Bud is still my favourite part of this arc. Other than Zimmy who isn't even in it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Bud is the pimpest crab around for sure.

Wahad

Wahad

I'm actually glad they "straight up" came out about it now and didn't keep up the silly charade. My only complaint was, why the hell was there ever a charade in the first place?
Whatever the reason, you know they're good at it if they could fool a psychic crab.

Gusto

Gusto

Winsbury is kinda fast and pretty furious.

Wahad

Wahad

This is objectively the best story already.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Tom draws Esther from John Allison's Scary Go Round, and the world is suddenly a better place.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fast and Furious reference made me facepalm. If the next comic doesn't "shut up, winsbury, you moron" I'll probably stop checking it for a few weeks so I can try and "fast forward" to when the comic stops being inane.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I see the Fast and Furious segue ending with a Glasgow Kiss. *evil grin*

Gusto

Gusto

Is today's a Twilight reference? Seems like it might be!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

GasBandit

GasBandit

Seems to be a reference to this song:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I think it's more a parody of romance novels rather than any specific work.

Meanwhile, 2 days ago on Tom Siddell's formspring

edit: nope, it was totally playing of ball ._.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've not been able to find any other source of where one might get the phrase "straight in each limb."

I'm a little less disgusted now... I'm hoping that there's some strange and possibly malefic source behind their affections for each other that planted patently and obviously false memories in their head to engender their feelings... and he actually BELIEVES the plot of the fast and the furious happened to him.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm guessing that their story is much more dull and basic than the stories they've heard from everyone else, and so they're each trying to exaggerate events to suit their own tastes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm guessing that their story is much more dull and basic than the stories they've heard from everyone else, and so they're each trying to exaggerate events to suit their own tastes.
That's what I'm fervently hoping it's NOT.

Gusto

Gusto

I don't know what I'm hoping, but that's what I'm expecting.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If it is just trite "eye of the beholder" crap I think that'll be enough for me to unsubscribe.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Ugh, the last week has not been good for Gunnerkrigg. This new update continues the trend.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, slightly redeemed in that the" stealing of the gold" Lex Luthor reference. But now it's plain that yes, it was just "this is how it was in my mind" nincompoopery.

Wahad

Wahad

I don't see what problems you guys have with Winsbury and Janet's story. I think it's hilarious and fits perfectly well with the tone of the chapter being ''silly and/or weird things teenagers do''. Also, the expressions are great.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't see what problems you guys have with Winsbury and Janet's story. I think it's hilarious and fits perfectly well with the tone of the chapter being ''silly and/or weird things teenagers do''. Also, the expressions are great.
I have a problem with a chapter being about silly things teenagers do.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

^
Pretty much, even Kat and Carver's little outings were more Fantasy than Teenage Drama/Romance. So honestly, it's in tone for the chapter, but not in tone with what the series has been up until now.

Gusto

Gusto

It may just be that now seems a little too late to expect us to give a shit about these tertiary characters. They've never really been explored before, and to me, this chapter feels like an overdue and kind of hamfisted "getting to know you" series of short stories.

Like I've said before, it feels like it's been too long, and I'm eager to see a new chapter.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I would have reacted that way no matter what characters they used to be honest, but yeah I'm ready to get back to the real mysteries of Gunnerkrigg.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just don't have time to get through all these archives when I'm at the comp; I'm still in several years ago on Something Positive even. So I slapped the first three volumes of Gunnerkrigg on my Amazon wishlist and we'll see what happens this holiday season, or if I get some spare monies without other purpose.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It'll be wrapping up soon... everyone's had a moment. Now they just need to get back and let Bud get scolded by his wife for not taking her along.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Not pictured: Annie's mouth.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

They've bloody gabbed the entire chapter, and next to nothing new was learned! Ugh... "I like Zimmy!" "What? Zimmy?" "Yeah I like Zimmy!" ----- Cut to other group "We've been secretly dating, even though everyone already knew/didn't care" ------ "I like Zimmy!" "You said that, but seriously?" "Yeah, I like Zimmy!" ----- "Oh, it's morning."

Gusto

Gusto

WELP

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I don't even....

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aaand done.

Gusto

Gusto

Unfortunately not. Not without the little "chapter over" symbol in the bottom right.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I think he meant he's done with the series for a while.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yep. Unsubscribed.

Gusto

Gusto

Oh. Gotcha.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So the point of this chapter was... that Annie probably isn't gay, but that Kat might be? Or that Kat might not have even thought about it until now, even if the people around her did?

Is it just me or are they hinting that the Kat/Annie is going to play out like the thing with Jeanne and Diego?

Gusto

Gusto

I think the divide between Annie and Kat might continue to grow as Annie embraces her ethereal roots and Kat continues to become the literal deus ex machina.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I've given up completely on the gay undertones. They're not there, it's just Kat wondering about who's going to be her friend if all her friends are hooking up and moving on. Nothing more.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've given up completely on the gay undertones. They're not there, it's just Kat wondering about who's going to be her friend if all her friends are hooking up and moving on. Nothing more.
That's how I interpreted. The "arg" face when she goes to sleep was frustration; I've seen it and felt it at the end of a night's get-together with friends and "others", and everyone stays up way too f'ing late.

Gusto

Gusto

I was talking about their friendship. :(

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I was referring to Ash's response.

Gusto

Gusto

Oh, gotcha.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Is it really considered subtext if her actual classmates believe this to be the case?

In any case, Kate was doomed from the start. I can't think of any other male classmates except the ones on that trip (who are main/side characters) and all of them are with someone or after someone else.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

That bird likes her.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You mean doomed for this evening's events, right? Because I don't think being single through schooling years is "doom".

Gusto

Gusto

Certainly hope not anyway.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You mean doomed for this evening's events, right? Because I don't think being single through schooling years is "doom".
Yeah, for the night and essentially for story purposes. She doesn't KNOW that many guys because she's usually out building something or hanging with Anne, and the ones she does know are taken, creepy spider dudes, or adults.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Or a bird.

Gusto

Gusto

Yup that one dude is totes a bird.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If I had to rate that guy on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "Not a Bird" and 10 being "Bird", he's a 10.

Also, here's a link to today's

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Best girl friends > stupid relationships.

Nice one on you Carver.

Gusto

Gusto

DISREGARD MALES

ACQUIRE MAGIC POWERS

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

DISREGARD MALES

ACQUIRE MAGIC POWERS
This needs to be a meme.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm glad Tom fixed Annie's head in the penultimate panel, it was LOL HUEG.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Bud has a pretty bitchin' spirit form. I wonder if he's originally from outside the Court?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

See? Now THAT'S the Gunnerkrigg I fell so hard for.

Bud, your aura... it's far out man!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Considering the size and shape differences, it's pretty clear Bud and his wife aren't the same species... makes me wonder how they met.

drifter

drifter

Given the possibilities of sexual dimorphism, I wouldn't say that it's clear Bud and his wife aren't the same species.

Who's Llanwellyn?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Janet's dad.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Do you even know what the word "invertebrate" means?
That's not the word I'm interested in!

And with that, end of the chapter. Probably a one-off on Wednesday, followed by the next chapter's title page on Friday.

Gusto

Gusto

Annie's faces, both unconscious and superconscious, made me smile.

Gusto

Gusto

So according to Tumblr, next chapter includes Parley and Smitface.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

And that means Jones.

Hell yes.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I don't even get what the point of that was.

Gusto

Gusto

These kids are mediocre troublemakers at best.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It's a meaningless one-shot to show that they're terrible pranksters. Then on Friday, we get the cover page for the next chapter, which will start on Monday.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't even get what the point of that was.
I'm not sure Tom Siddel himself understood what he'd made, since the comment underneath was "What kinda prank was that any way?"

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Title page for Chapter 35

Pretty ambiguous title for a chapter if you ask me. No clue what to expect.

Gusto

Gusto

Man. I laughed. A lot.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He needs to fix his cast page so it does more than just link to a character's first appearance. I see a name, go to check who it is, and then just see faces. And clicking on a face does shit if they don't say the name in the linked strip.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Andrew with the "Bam"! Loving it.

Gusto

Gusto

Smitface ruined the sim!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

LordRendar

LordRendar

More people who im gonna forget as soon as the chapter is done.
I thought Parley's power was Teleport.How did Andrew "summon" her?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think it's more that he knew she was coming thanks to his power. She basically came because she knew her friends would be assholes and wanted to apologize in advance.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I forgot what his power was.Claivoyance?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Make things extremely boring.

Or to put it in an actual way, things tend to order and predictability around him.

Wahad

Wahad

If you want the more general name, it's probability distortion/manipulation.

Gusto

Gusto

I thought Smitty's power was eyebrows, or throwing stones at birds.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Llllllllllllllllladies.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Aw man it's that creepy robot dude.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Can you think of a reason why Smitty would be able to predict Parley's jumps? It doesn't seem like he's "guiding" her like he did initially. I have a theory, sorta, but it feels like a cop-out.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I think it's just that when he says "Bam" and points to a location, Parley just happens to be teleporting there at that time.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah but how would he know that? He was never psychic.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It's not a case of knowing. It's just a coincidence. A coincidence that has to happen because of the way probability distorts itself around him.

Gusto

Gusto

So you're implying that beyond the clearly-demonstrated improvement of Parley's jumping ability, we're also seeing the less-obvious improvement of Smith's sensitivity to distortion of order and chaos, and by knowing his own power, we're seeing that he can predict a entropy shift towards order based on those predictions?

That's kind of what I thought, but it seems like kind of a jump unless it actually get mentioned or at least hinted at. Fanon, at best.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

That is what I'm thinking, but until Jones gives her stone cold analysis of what's going on with her charges' various abilities, it's going to remain a guess.

Gusto

Gusto

I have a good feeling Jones will make her appearance soon. Either that or she's already there and everyone is too busy carrying on to notice. :awesome:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

She should be showing up sometime. Tom mentioned he was drawing Jones a couple of weeks ago on Twitter, and since his buffer is around 3 weeks ahead iirc, it's just a matter of time.

Wahad

Wahad

I like that Parley showed up in her swordfighting outfit. Maybe Annie will learn how to get to use the tooth!

Terrik

Terrik

She should be showing up sometime. Tom mentioned he was drawing Jones a couple of weeks ago on Twitter, and since his buffer is around 3 weeks ahead iirc, it's just a matter of time.
3 weeks? Why, that sounds awfully responsible of him. Yes indeed, we could all learn a thing or two from Tom.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

He works a full-time job during the week, and draws the 3 pages during the weekend. For even more responsibility.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The only ones with as much gusto for their own comics, in my opinion are Sohmer (LFG/LICD) and Thunt (Goblins).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Back in college when I did a comic, I had six weeks ahead.
Then five. Then four. Then three, two, one, Kurtz, and then no comic.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I like that Parley showed up in her swordfighting outfit. Maybe Annie will learn how to get to use the tooth!
Wouldnt the tooth cut through Parleys sword?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Yes. Yes it would.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wouldnt the tooth cut through Paleys sword?
Knowing Coyote's disposition, I'd say it would only be able to do it if it wanted to. It would be just like Coyote to give Annie a temperamental sword.

Wahad

Wahad

Wouldnt the tooth cut through Paleys sword?
It would be easy to find a replacement blade that handles approximately the same, for practice reasons.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Seriously.
Added at: 10:40
Also, Parley will never beat Jones, or even really put up a fight. I doubt her swordsmanship is as advanced as Eglamore's and teleportation will only help her so much if she has to remain within melee range.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Jeanne. She's trying to stall Jeanne. Not beat Jones.

Gusto

Gusto

Whoa I totally misread that.

And I thought it was funny that she was calling Jones a psychic rage ghost. :awesome:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well, at the very least, Parley should be able to buy time by having Jeanne's ghost lecture her about how much she sucks for showing off that pure heart.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Friday: Okay, so Kat's uncomfortable from what was implied about her at the get-together, but was okay with snuggling up with Antimony... so long as no one can see? :/

Gusto

Gusto

Poor Kat.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't understand what you're saying.

On the one hand, Kat could be coming to see something she wasn't sure about and now she's nervous of others seeing it in her.
On the other hand, this could be just a reaction to the other girl having the mistakenly perceiving Kat's sexuality, and now Kat has gone into over self-awareness mode so that others do not have the same misperception.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

People seem to think Kat is homosexual, even though she is not. She's probably just trying distance herself from that.

The sentence itself is just supposed to be silly and not mean anything.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

People seem to think Kat is homosexual, even though she is not. She's probably just trying distance herself from that.

The sentence itself is just supposed to be silly and not mean anything.
Ah, okay. Then number 2 of what I was thinking. I hate how she's going to be all self-conscious about her actions over that.

Being a teenager sucks.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Not that I think Kat is "that way" in the slightest, I have to add that being a teenager does indeed suck. Being a teenager who is gay/thought to be gay but don't want to confirm it? Is nerve wracking on a scale that can't even be measured.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

I was wondering why Robot would be so sluggish.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Robot Rock!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

If she can continue training and improving with Robot, she just may have a chance with the ghost after all.

Gusto

Gusto

What is the likelihood that Jeanne trained with other, better-made robots?

Not impossible!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I really doubt it. Diego's robots feel a lot more like vanity projects. He probably wouldn't want to risk them getting damaged.

Gusto

Gusto

Fair enough. It was a long shot.

I was gonna say it's unlikely because Diego didn't view Jeanne as a warrior, more as his damsel. The likelihood that he'd construct her a sparring bot is low.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Haha, he totally does. Yeah, if Jeanne sparred with anyone, it was probably other court warriors as well as some of the forest guys.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This girl needs to drop her bastard sword and pick up a saber, epee, or rapier. There's a reason we stopped using them after awhile and Robot demonstrated it perfectly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This girl needs to drop her bastard sword and pick up a saber, epee, or rapier. There's a reason we stopped using them after awhile and Robot demonstrated it perfectly.
Assuming she isn't going to be wearing plate, yes. The reason the sword of choice changed from the claymore to the rapier was because gunpowder made steel armor obsolete, and it became more advantageous to be fast than to be armored. But I don't remember anyone off the top of my head using a gun in this area, though presumably nothing says one couldn't exist I suppose.

(yes I started reading again. bleah. I just hope it doesn't turn back into DawsonCreek Court again)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Things outside the Court don't NEED guns. They have magic. That's like having a gun that can do more than kill you.

Though now I want so see the girls strap on proton packs and ghostbust the bitch.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Things outside the Court don't NEED guns. They have magic. That's like having a gun that can do more than kill you.

Though now I want so see the girls strap on proton packs and ghostbust the bitch.
Fair point - a handheld lightningbolt would also render plate useless. But really, since they're going up against a supposedly ethereal opponent anyway... wouldn't ANY mundane sword be considered ineffective?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fair point - a handheld lightningbolt would also render plate useless. But really, since they're going up against a supposedly ethereal opponent anyway... wouldn't ANY mundane sword be considered ineffective?
It's possible that Annie will lend her Coyote's Tooth to fight her. We've never seen it in action but it's magical nature could be enough to harm her... and that's assuming The Court doesn't have stuff they can use, which is likely true.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's possible that Annie will lend her Coyote's Tooth to fight her. We've never seen it in action but it's magical nature could be enough to harm her... and that's assuming The Court doesn't have stuff they can use, which is likely true.
Again, I might not be remembering correctly, but wasn't one of coyote's conditions for giving her the tooth that nobody can know she has the tooth, under pain of death?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

No. When Annie went into the forest for the summer, she couldn't tell anybody or she'd lose a hand. Reynard seems to know, but Annie has kept it a secret for the most part.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Again, I might not be remembering correctly, but wasn't one of coyote's conditions for giving her the tooth that nobody can know she has the tooth, under pain of death?
That was while she was spending the summer in the Forest and that mark was removed once she moved back into the dorms for the school year. Also, it was just her hand she would lose. That isn't to say that Coyote wouldn't be upset if she used it but she's had the thing for more than a year and she's never used it. It's time to pull Chekov's Gun off the wall and fire it.

Gusto

Gusto

Jeanne in the canyon as been a mainstay of this strip since the early days. If the youngsters manage to exorcise her soon, it could alter a lot about what we take for granted in GC.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Jeanne is down by the river as a sentry. If the psychic rage ghost is gone, all sorts of things could cross, and who knows what kind of brouhaha that would cause?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think Annie and Kat only have two years left at the school as it is. If something big is going to happen, this is the year to do it.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's supposed to be a LONGSWORD? What is she, 4 feet tall?

Gusto

Gusto

That's supposed to be a LONGSWORD? What is she, 4 feet tall?
I would contend that maybe Tom doesn't know a lot about swords, but:

GasBandit

GasBandit

So he has no excuse. And that's not a very good representation of a claymore...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Was wondering when she'd start teleporting while she fought.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Hylian

Hylian

I wonder if Coyote's tooth will work for Parley? For some reason I always assumed it would only work for Annie.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp, you called it on the tooth.

Wahad

Wahad

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Whoops.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

OH SHIT.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aaand we learn Parley can't handle surprises very well. That's right, girl, just go ahead and DROP THE BLADE THAT CUTS EVERYTHING.

Gusto

Gusto

Didn't cut Shadow though, who seems to be invincible despite only being a molecule thick.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Didn't cut Shadow though, who seems to be invincible despite only being a molecule thick.
And yet, shadow LEAVES a shadow...

Hylian

Hylian

I wonder if they could wrap Shadow around the blade in order to make it a little duller.

Wahad

Wahad

Everyone::aaah:
Coyote::rofl:

Gusto

Gusto

EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Considering that hairband is more of an accessory than actually keeping her hair out of her face, she was mainly showing that she was throwing off her "girly things" to get "down and dirty".

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Shaw Coyote

Shaw Coyote

A robot and a shadow? Next you'll be telling me a wolf loves a human!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Or a dolphin loves a dog.

Shaw Coyote

Shaw Coyote

Or a girl loves a bird.

Gusto

Gusto

Or a giraffe plays football.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Or a dog can play basketball!

Gusto

Gusto

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ok, I lost it at "I have your baby in me Giraffe!"

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

LordRendar

LordRendar

Robo x Shadow or Shadow x Robo ?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Glass-eyed men are Jawas. I get it now.

Shaw Coyote

Shaw Coyote

How is that so touching?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Chapter cover on Wednesday.

Gusto

Gusto

Those people are named Jan and Cookie Monster.

BUT WHO IS WHO

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Jan is short for January

drifter

drifter

The blonde is January. Sassy McEmopants is Cookie Monster (Lily Cooke).

LordRendar

LordRendar

Cookie monster is the blue one and January is the white one?
cuz the cookiemonster is blue and January is white cuz of the snow? I have no idea. xD
also.. Smitty is now my fave character in Gunnerkrigg Court.

Necronic

Necronic

So I started reading this yesterday to see what all the hubbub is about.

I've now read something like 900 pages and I can't stop.

This is a very good comic.

Edit: Son of a .... whelp I'm caught up and there is nothing left to read. I now have the same feeling for this comic as Erfworld, DrMcninja, Order of the Stick and all the other ones. Love with a side of bitter resentment on the slow exposition of the story.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I started reading this yesterday to see what all the hubbub is about.

I've now read something like 900 pages and I can't stop.

This is a very good comic.

Edit: Son of a .... whelp I'm caught up and there is nothing left to read. I now have the same feeling for this comic as Erfworld, DrMcninja, Order of the Stick and all the other ones. Love with a side of bitter resentment on the slow exposition of the story.
Yeah, I hate that. Especially in full blown books as well. Irks me so much when I read several books in a series back to back only to find out the next one doesn't come out for another year... or four. I'm not going to remember any of these people or events next year! That was the final nail in the coffin for me for the wheel of time series (and I even slogged my way through the crappy books in the middle)... irritates me to no end about the Kingkiller chronicle.. and of course, everybody's favorite love/hate author, George RR Martin.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

OH FUCK

I AM SO HAPPY

MY FAVOURITE PERSON

Necronic

Necronic

Man I just read Rice boy too. Damn that one is good. Like really good.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Oh man, I love Rice Boy. Have you read all the comics on that site?

Necronic

Necronic

Yep, every one. I would go so far as to say that it's better than Gunnerkrig Court. If I worked at a Studio Ghibli type of place I would totally hire that dude on. He is a fantastic story teller.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I think Gunnerkrigg is more focused on characters and character-driven stories while Rice Boy tends more to the epic, so I have trouble saying which I think is better. My answer would probably change based on my mood. They're both really good though, and Evan Dahm is extremely talented.

He just finished a Kickstarter for a printing of an Order of the Tales book. Evidently, the book is two inches thick.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Strip for Friday, December 23

Gunnerkrigg Court will update normally next week

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Yes... "best friends" that is what they are calling it now?

Wahad

Wahad

Jonesy lookin' classy in her new suit.

Gusto

Gusto

Jones knows that Antimony is best friends with a robot.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just finished volume 1 yesterday morning. I'll have to read chapters 15-22 online since who knows when volume 2 will be in print again.

I believe I read chapters 12-14 when they were first put online, because there was a time I was reading Gunnerkrigg and then I stopped for some reason. Still got a bit of catching up to do.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well, evidently the site is down. Or I can't access it. So no link to today's for today.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Thanks, Hylian.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto

Gusto

Red has been in three panels so far and hasn't flipped a pool yet.

:(
Added at: 14:25
Also I think that may be Blue (Cyan?) sitting next to her.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It's kind of hard to flip a pool during the formula for gravitational pull.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

strawman

strawman

1,000 comics. Congrats!

Soliloquy

You know, I'm kind of sad that no one's been discussing this comic recently, but... in this chapter, there's been very little to discuss.

strawman

strawman

This chapter was fun, but it serves to remind me how much stuff we don't know and never will. It's frustrating, actually.

Did force me to go back to when the two girls were fairies asking her to kill them, then again when they teach her how to get her hair to stick up so her friend will like her again. I wonder how else they'll impact the story going forward...

Soliloquy

This chapter was fun, but it serves to remind me how much stuff we don't know and never will. It's frustrating, actually.

Did force me to go back to when the two girls were fairies asking her to kill them, then again when they teach her how to get her hair to stick up so her friend will like her again. I wonder how else they'll impact the story going forward...
I like how the story just kind of glossed over the revelation that the second unnamed fairy has horrifying mind control powers that she's willing to use on a whim for her own amusement.

Also:

strawman

strawman

I'm glad to see it's not a terrible thing to name one.

On the other hand, I prefer this alternate ending for today's:

Soliloquy

I think this is the first time Shadow's been given a gender -- an odd choice too, since he apparently sounds like Annie.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So wow... looks like we have a Drama bomb coming next week, as this week's probably going to be an comedy page and then the next chapter page.

Gusto

Gusto

HUH!

Soliloquy

SPACE!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

hey soliloquy, what's your favorite thing about space?

Mine is space.

Soliloquy

Holy crap... Annie is in shock. I get the feeling this is going to be a brilliantly-written chapter.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

LordRendar

LordRendar

I'm expecting a lot of the current arc.Hope it pays out.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I never realized there was Gunnerkrigg Rule34 at Paheal. I was actually surprised at some of the quality there was (obviously drowned in large number bad MSpaint attempts).

Necronic

Necronic

Siddell made a comment somewhere about how much that disgusted him (can't remember where.) I tend to agree.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I never realized there was Gunnerkrigg Rule34 at Paheal. I was actually surprised at some of the quality there was (obviously drowned in large number bad MSpaint attempts).
Paheal's servers haven't collapsed into their own subbasements yet?! Someone needs to get their maintenance guys a damn medal.

Zappit

Zappit

Anybody else see that Siddell just quit his job to do Gunnerkrigg full time?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wonder if that means he's going to update weekdaily.

Zappit

Zappit

He said that Monday will have a proper announcement - so - maybe?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Man I haven't read this in years. Takes me back. So, is it still readable? Please tell me it didn't take the Kurtz route.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man I haven't read this in years. Takes me back. So, is it still readable? Please tell me it didn't take the Kurtz route.
It got a little stupid in the "let's sneak out and canoodle" chapter, but other than that, it's not bad.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oh all-right! I can take a litte cheesy romance in a web-comic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh all-right! I can take a litte cheesy romance in a web-comic.
Not exactly what it was, but I guess you'll see it for yourself. Was enough to make me stop reading for a couple months.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Not exactly what it was, but I guess you'll see it for yourself. Was enough to make me stop reading for a couple months.
Oooooooooooh, it's one of THOSE story-lines. Felt the same way after that CAD storyline that shall not be named. Though ironically it was still better drama than what I read in most web-comics.

Wahad

Wahad

The chapter he's talking about (Faraway Morning) was not universally loved (though I had no problems with it myself) but other than that, it's one of the best webcomics out there right now, in both the art and story department.

Soliloquy

I didn't really mind Faraway Morning either. No real plot, but it had some decent character development at least.

I'm pretty stoked about the "quitting his job" thing, myself. Honestly, out of all the webcomics out there, this is the one whose artist I most hoped would go full-time.

Gusto

Gusto

I didn't mind Faraway Morning but as the title suggests, I felt like it went far too long.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just noticed the "quit my job to do comic full-time" note. I hope it all goes well for him; the company that publishes the books has been pretty crappy about keeping them in stock, which hurts the income. Then he puts the Project Wonderful ads above the big company Google-type ads, which is nice to do for us little guys who use him for our ads, but I don't know how much that helps him.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've always loved the art-work to this series. So trippy man. And Shadow 2 is 3-D now? Crazy.

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php

Well this looks promising

Gusto

Gusto

Zimmy's a fun character.

Gusto

Gusto

What are the odds we see Jack in this chapter?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'd say low. This chapter will probably have more to do with Zimmy's Birmingham than Jack's bizarre taste in women.

Soliloquy

I agree. Which makes me sad, because I like Jack.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can tell some people are going to piss me off soon!

Gusto

Gusto

Kat, you... you got a little something on your head, there.

strawman

strawman

Is it poop? I bet it's poop.

Is it poop?

Gusto

Gusto

Probably!

GasBandit

GasBandit

So have you guys picked up on the subtle clues that Jones is older than you think?

strawman

strawman

So have you guys picked up on the subtle clues that Jones is older than you think?
I think it'll take another chapter of this for it to really sink in. I mean, he hasn't gone anywhere near the big bang.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So...what is Jones? A god? If so she's the most non-temperamental god I've ever seen.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

I know what Jones is.

She's not a robot.

strawman

strawman

FINALLY! A woman that can't be broken! Someone call the pulp romance industry! Get Nora whatsername on the phone!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

DAMN! That is some classical mythic origin right there! Like Sun Wukong and shit!

Hylian

Hylian

So how did humans just happen evolve to look just like her? Is she some kind of blueprint for the human genome? Is she a combination of magic and a human from the future that was sent back to the dawn of the earth? Is she an alien experiment?

Gusto

Gusto

So how did humans just happen evolve to look just like her? Is she some kind of blueprint for the human genome? Is she a combination of magic and a human from the future that was sent back to the dawn of the earth? Is she an alien experiment?
These were my concerns.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm calling her an Earth elemental for now, less I learn otherwise. Either way she kicks- ASS! She's like the clothed female Dr. Manhattan...minus the full control of matter and possible Cancer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, how about a threadnecro? The latest plot thread deserves one. Really enjoying the buildup of Reynardine's day out with Hetty, and the reveal that Hetty's "tormentor" is an innocent boy and she's absolutely psychotic. The "air quotes" about her previous owner's "accident" that imply Hetty has killed a little girl. What will Reynardine do? What. Will. He. Do?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So, how about a threadnecro? The latest plot thread deserves one. Really enjoying the buildup of Reynardine's day out with Hetty, and the reveal that Hetty's "tormentor" is an innocent boy and she's absolutely psychotic. The "air quotes" about her previous owner's "accident" that imply Hetty has killed a little girl. What will Reynardine do? What. Will. He. Do?
I don't think he can do anything without Coyote getting involved. Yes, he's been invited back to the forest... but we all know what that means when it's coming from Coyote.

As for the kid... he's covered in burn scars, is the brother of Hetty's former owner, and Hetty already had Reynardine pick up matches for her. I'm pretty sure we all know what happened to the last little girl at this point.

Gusto

Gusto

I assumed those were fibreglass rashes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hetty is freakin' SCARY! Like what Chucky was meant to be.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, I thought they were rashes from fiberglass, too.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Defs fiberglass rash. UGH, when she said she did that it sounded funny but after looking at the kid you see the reality that this is a scary demon doll torturing a child for no reason. SO creepy.

Also is this story her first appearance? I forget if she appeared before.

strawman

strawman

GasBandit

GasBandit

You can't trust the SYSTEM.

Gusto

Gusto

The greatest crossover ever?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I didn't get creeped out by Hetty from this last story arc until that little fun ad used as the break between chapters. Like an evil Mary Poppins the size of the doll from Trilogy of Terror. Yeesh.

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1236

Those last two panels are so adorable!

Also someone on the Gunnerkrigg forums made a GIF of the last two panels

Gusto

Gusto

Damn, Scumbag Annie!

strawman

strawman

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

FUCK YES! Been waiting forever to see her go all Nova!

Krisken

Krisken

Love Ysengrin's smile in that last panel :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Have you seen my bear, Tibbers?