L4D 2 - Nov 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Who is up for Halforums Realism Versus in The Passing? I'm thinking tomorrow, Saturday April 24th at 6pm-ish Central (7pm Eastern, 4pm Pacific).
The time is coming soon. I haven't played Realism before myself, but here's what I've heard:

- Zombies are much more resistant to body shots. Even the sniper rifles need headshots to be one-hit kills (though the magnum may not).
- Survivors won't be able to see each other outlined when out of line-of-sight. Voice communication is very important.
- Items won't be highlighted until you're right on top of them.
- Witches are one-hit kills

I think the survivors will be getting picked off relatively quickly tonight.

figmentPez

Staff member
GAH! Stupid players who play Realism Versus without a mic! C'mon people.

Anyway, I was right, RVs is brutal, and I imagine The Passing only made it worse. A more familiar level with fewer blind corners might have made it better. We didn't get enough players for a real Halforums match, but I had a good time. Depending on what the next mutation, Bleed Out, turns out to be, I'll tentatively schedule another game same time next week. Maybe I'll start a thread just for the game when the new mutation is announced.

C

Chibibar

GAH! Stupid players who play Realism Versus without a mic! C'mon people.

Anyway, I was right, RVs is brutal, and I imagine The Passing only made it worse. A more familiar level with fewer blind corners might have made it better. We didn't get enough players for a real Halforums match, but I had a good time. Depending on what the next mutation, Bleed Out, turns out to be, I'll tentatively schedule another game same time next week. Maybe I'll start a thread just for the game when the new mutation is announced.

It is funny that people are willing to play Realism game WITHOUT a mic. It is hard enough to try to stick together and rescue each other with a mic than without. We had a player who seems to complain about everything (Fig and me team) and yet he doesn't follow direction from us and keep going ahead or don't tell us where he is when he is down.

I can see playing co-op or something without a mic, but in any VS, it is pretty tough without one even if you type 100 wpm.

It is funny that people are willing to play Realism game WITHOUT a mic. It is hard enough to try to stick together and rescue each other with a mic than without. We had a player who seems to complain about everything (Fig and me team) and yet he doesn't follow direction from us and keep going ahead or don't tell us where he is when he is down.
I'll see your complaining guy and raise you an intolerant bigot who decided to rant while we were getting killed.

C

Chibibar

I'll see your complaining guy and raise you an intolerant bigot who decided to rant while we were getting killed.[/QUOTE]

lol...

figmentPez

Staff member
Kotaku linked to a post on the Steam Forums where someone dug into the new VPK files and discovered much about the upcoming mutations.

Spoiler for details of the next mutation, Bleeding Out:
Bleeding Out: Mutation3
-Coop
-No Medkits, only pills.
-You start with temporary health that goes down fast.
-Lots of pills.
-Lots of random panic events.
Sounds like some frantic fun. I'm looking forward to playing.

Spoiler for just the names of upcoming mutations:
Chainsaws
First Man Out
Four Swords Men
Hardcore
Head Shots Only
Last Man On Earth
Linear Scavenge
M60s
Max Specials
No Health Versus
Realism Versus
Temporary Health
Ultra Realism
Versus Survival
Vip Target

Spoilers for details of some of the upcoming mutations:
Guard the Gnome: Mutation9
-Coop
-Gnome spawns at the beginning, you need to to make it through the levels.
-Zombies go after the person carrying it.

Linear Scavenge: Mutation13/linearscavenge
-scavenge.
-Normal Scavenge with a twist.
-Only 1 can spawns at a time.

Versus Survival: versussurvival
-Survival with VS.
-1 Round, winner needs to last longer.

M60s: m60s
-Coop
-Spawn with M60, and a magnum.
-No primiary/second items spawn.
-Unlimited Ammo.

Chainsaws: chainsaws
-Coop.
-No Primary, only chainsaws.
-Unlimited gas.

Max Specials: maxspecials
-Survival.
-Unlimited number of SI.

Vip Target: viptargetw
-Versus.
-Protect the Gnome!

First Man Out: firstmanout
-Broken.

Four Swords Men: fourswordsmen
-Coop.
-Only Katanas.
-Only SI spawn.

Hardcore: hardcore
-Broken.

Headshots Only: headshotsonly
-Coop
-You need a headshot to kill CI.

Last Man On Earth: lastmanonearth
-Singleplayer.
-Only SI spawn, no incapping, you just go black and white.

No Health Versus: nohealthversus
-Versus.
-No Medkits/pills/adrenaline spawn.

Ultra Realism: ultrarealism
-Realism
-Broken.

I'm guessing most of these are still being worked on, and that details aren't final. Some have me really excited (I'm actually giggling with glee over the thought of one of them, if it's available on all maps), others I'm not sure I want to play at all.

Right now I need to know, has anyone released a way to get the m60 and golf club to spawn in the other campaigns, and how to add all the variety of zombies from Passing to the other campaigns?

figmentPez

Staff member
New Mutation is Bleed Out, and it's Campaign mode only. Sounds like fun, playing with only temporary health, no medkits, and only pills and adrenaline to keep you going.

I'm probably not going to be able to make a Halforums game tomorrow, since my family may be having company over for dinner.

Next week's Mutation is "Follow the Liter". I think it's sequential scavenge mode, where only one gas can appears at a time.

New Mutation is Bleed Out, and it's Campaign mode only. Sounds like fun, playing with only temporary health, no medkits, and only pills and adrenaline to keep you going.

I'm probably not going to be able to make a Halforums game tomorrow, since my family may be having company over for dinner.

Next week's Mutation is "Follow the Liter". I think it's sequential scavenge mode, where only one gas can appears at a time.
It's also been suggested it's a mode where you carry the Cola through-out a level.

C

Chibibar

It's also been suggested it's a mode where you carry the Cola through-out a level.[/QUOTE]

Bleed out was not bad. We tried it on Dead Center got 11/13 cans and we died (ran out of health) they all quit :( you can't do it with bots cause they are stupid.

figmentPez

Staff member
Bleed out was not bad. We tried it on Dead Center got 11/13 cans and we died (ran out of health) they all quit :( you can't do it with bots cause they are stupid.
There were plenty of human players who were too stupid as well. I tried playing and ended up in one group with two people who stopped completely every time there were more than a few zombies about, and another who ran ahead three times on the same map, getting killed off by his lonesome each time. I left at that point, and ended up with a better team, but even though playing decently for a PUG, we were beaten down by too few pills/adrenaline pick-ups.

I like the concept of Bleed Out, but it's just not balanced enough. There are too many hordes and SI for the amount of health given on the maps I've played. Having most of the group limping along really hurts the hurried feel I want to get from only having temporary health. I'd give up having the pills fix B&W status in exchange for more pills and defibs. More ups and downs, keeping the pace fast, but the risks still high.

figmentPez

Staff member
Fan-made mutation concept, Jockey Riders:

Human and Jockey teams run together trying to make it to the safe room first. I'm not sure it's something Valve would go for, since it strips away most of L4D's play mechanics, but it does look like wacky fun.

I'd like it better if it had pick-ups you could get like Mario Cart... causing things like pipebombs/molotovs to fall from the air and slowdown the jockeyriders or walking over adrenaline makes it activate for a speed boost.

figmentPez

Staff member
Last Man on Earth is a really strange mutation. I don't really like it, but it was quite interesting to play. I was sure I wouldn't make it through a single level without getting caught by a special infected, even without common infected to deal with, but I made it through 2 (sort of, a hunter got me near the beginning of the second level of Dark Carnival, but the tank punched him off). So it wasn't until the coaster that I realized that getting caught by a Jockey isn't game over. SI take you down to B&W with 30 temporary health, and then let you go. At least on normal. So, this mode is tough, but it goes fast and it's far from impossible. It doesn't really hold my interest, though. The reason I like L4D is because of the teamwork. Without that it's just a zombie shooter, and that doesn't really appeal to me.

Yeah, I thought I'd love Last Man on Earth, since I enjoy the single player mode, but it just feels... hmm... dull now. The game becomes a series of encounters from one SI to the next, and between fights you can just sprint through the level.

Tanks are interesting if you don't have a molotov, though.

C

Chibibar

I didn't like it as much. Sure there are plenty of health pack around but it is kinda moot after you get hit by smoker, jockey, or charger. Sure they release you, but then you are black and white and next hit you are dead. some combo like spitter smoker still happen (if you rush too much) and die. I almost complete a stage but takes WAY too long.

By the way, Last Man on Earth is a good time to get the Tank Burger achievement, where you kill a Tank with just melee weapons. When a Tank spawns, smack it once with a melee weapon, then run away far enough for the game to "kill" the Tank due to too much distance between it and the player. This works best on large, geographically long maps, of course. I pulled it off on Parish 3, encountered the Tank right before the sewers, and lost it in the cemetery.

I used Last Man to get the Parish campaign done on Expert after i got killed just near the Choppa because one guy decided to stay behind near the tank for no reason while the guy that already had it sacrificed himself there to help us finish.... and the most annoying thing is that the guy we waited on was the only one to make it... bastard.

Anyhow, it works to get the Expert achievement with the Last Man mutation (though it's very frustrating in Swamp Fever, when you can't see the Smokers most of the time, so much so that i quit trying even if it's the only campaign i have left).

figmentPez

Staff member
Woah Shit. Is that an official add-on or is it just the most amazing fan-made level I've ever seen?
I Hate Mountains is a fan-made campaign.

This week's L4D2 mutation is the worst yet. Room for One is so pointless. Finale levels only, and the first survivor who makes it to the rescue vehicle is the only one who makes it out. All it serves to do is to hinder teamwork in game that's good mainly because it promotes teamwork.

C

Chibibar

Woah Shit. Is that an official add-on or is it just the most amazing fan-made level I've ever seen?
I Hate Mountains is a fan-made campaign.

This week's L4D2 mutation is the worst yet. Room for One is so pointless. Finale levels only, and the first survivor who makes it to the rescue vehicle is the only one who makes it out. All it serves to do is to hinder teamwork in game that's good mainly because it promotes teamwork.[/QUOTE]

I liked the chainsaw one. I haven't try the new mutation yet.

This week's L4D2 mutation is the worst yet. Room for One is so pointless. Finale levels only, and the first survivor who makes it to the rescue vehicle is the only one who makes it out. All it serves to do is to hinder teamwork in game that's good mainly because it promotes teamwork.
So, griefer's paradise? I'll pass.

figmentPez

Staff member
Update to Versus mode:
- Added a 25 point scoring penalty for using a Defibrillator.
- Scaled dynamic Defibrillators based on map length with a maximum of 1 per map.
- Removed dynamic Pill conversion to First Aid Kits.
- Removed Explosive Ammunition.
- Increased Jockey damage per second.
- Removed Jockey’s damage delay.

That should make it harder for survivors, and probably shorten games as well. They seem like some reasonable moves.

Update to Versus mode:
- Added a 25 point scoring penalty for using a Defibrillator.
- Scaled dynamic Defibrillators based on map length with a maximum of 1 per map.
- Removed dynamic Pill conversion to First Aid Kits.
- Removed Explosive Ammunition.
- Increased Jockey damage per second.
- Removed Jockey’s damage delay.

That should make it harder for survivors, and probably shorten games as well. They seem like some reasonable moves.
Does Explosive Ammo still show up in Campaign? And those jockey changes are both good and bad... good in that you'll be more effective at damaging people, but bad in that you won't be able to go nearly as far as you could before now. I remember taking somebody from under the overpass in Dead Center 2 nearly all the way back to the safe room once.

The changes to Defibs and First Aid kits are most welcome though. About god damn time they did it.

figmentPez

Staff member
I assume these changes are only to Versus, though a Jockey just took me town very fast when playing the Heatshot! mutation, so if Valve screwed up....

Anyway, I don't like Headshot!. It's interesting, but it really ramps up the difficulty. The most trippy part is needing headshots on boomers. That feels even weirder than any of the other infected.

figmentPez

Staff member
Gib Fest
Blast the infected to shreds with M60s.

YES! I'm playing this as soon as I finish breakfast. I sure hope this opens up the M60 for use outside of The Passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.