L4D 2 - Nov 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit iffy about this mutations thing though. Sounds like they rotate them in and out every week. So I might end up playing something awesome (say, Chainsaw Massacre) one week, and then suddenly it'll be unavailable and who knows when it'll turn up next.

I assume "regular" campaign and versus will still be available though, so at least I won't be forced to play mutations I don't want to play. Realism Versus sounds... imbalanced.

Realism Versus sounds... imbalanced.
It's actually to help with some of the unbalanced problems in Versus... namely the Survivors have huge advantages over the Infected, as Healthpacks can undo an entire assault's worth of damage, Defibs undo the hardwork of the Infected, and they have many more tools at their disposal. It's also why Healthpacks and Defibs are going to be looked into in the next patch.

Ahem:

Very spoilery.

Also, apparently it's out now. Everyone go update your game.

EDIT: Wait, no it's not. M'bad.

figmentPez

Staff member
About your spoiler:

I thought the dead L4D cast member was supposed to die before the events of The Passing even began. How can a screenshot prove anything?

Dying before the events of the Passing begin and his corpse being there during the Passing are not mutually exclusive. For all we know, the sacrifice took place in the same place the Passing takes place at.

The screenshot is from the 360 version of the game, where the Passing has been released already. They're saying it's Bill every time. Dunno if the same will apply with the PC version.

ElJuski

Staff member
I totally missed his corpse but Bill is definitely not there.

I'm kind of disappointed this time around. I know a lot of it is because I was just playing offline by myself, but the new campaign didn't really tickle my fancy. And I really wish there was more interactions with the original cast. Some of the new conversations were pretty funny, and there's a room in the middle of the second mission that is an homage to all zombie video games past.

"If you need an m60 come find me"~Crazy Dave

figmentPez

Staff member
Damn that was awesome, I can't wait to play it with other Halforumites. The heavy machine gun mows down zombies. The foot lockers are kinda odd, but nice.

I'd rather have lockers full of pills/adrenaline spawn in Versus than extra health kits. It'd help with the imbalance problems in Multiplayer.

figmentPez

Staff member
What I like:
- The fallen survivors are neat concept. Kind of like a supply cache that you can miss. If you haven't run into them, they're zombies that carry med kits and grenades (maybe other stuff), but they're really tough and once they get shot they try and run away.
- The M60 / heavy machine gun is awesome. It chews through zombies like nobody's business. Fun weapon to use.
- The zombies in tuxedos made me laugh.
- The level design seems pretty solid, if a little bland visually.

What I'm not sure about:
- Levels in The Passing seem designed as a meat grinder for the survivors in versus matches, not so-much for a fun co-op level.

What I don't like:
- The new weapons and zombies don't spawn in any other campaigns. Boo! I want an M60 for The Barns. (Hey, Dave, can you do something about that?)

Just tried the Passing on single player.

First impressions:
It's solid. It's good, but nothing spectacular. Some of the level design felt a bit iffy at first, because I couldn't always tell where I was supposed to be going. The crescendo in the sewers was exciting though, and some of the new lines were nice.

Wish there was more interaction between the two sets of survivors though.

Yeah, roommate and I ran through Passing on co-op, and while it was entertaining, it wasn't the best scenario I've played.

Also:

GODDAMNIT WHY DOES BILL DIE :(

I guess the voice actor loss would make sense. Because the death is pointless and completely anti-climactic from a story point of view. Zoey and the gang barely even mention it in the version I saw. They basically just kinda mentioned it "oh. We lost someone by the way." It's kinda sad to see them so unemotional about it.
Now, if Bill dies during a cut scene, or during the battle at the end while saving the rest of us, I would be impressed.

Hardly worth the effort. If you play L4D you've probably already played through The Passing it at least once. And if you don't play L4D why are you reading this thread?

I guess, based on some articles and the wiki post that I've read, that Bill's death is a choice he made to save the others. Later this year another DLC will be made available for L4D1 that will take place during the events that lead to Bill's death, but Bill can be substituted for by any of the other three characters during that level's finale. Bill's death is the canon version however.

Hardly worth the effort. If you play L4D you've probably already played through The Passing it at least once. And if you don't play L4D why are you reading this thread?
Because we know that @lien hadn't played it yet at least?[/QUOTE]

Tried to now, but all i got was either to much lag or noobs... i'll have to wait for some local people i know to show up..

figmentPez

Staff member
Who is up for Halforums Realism Versus in The Passing? I'm thinking tomorrow, Saturday April 24th at 6pm-ish Central (7pm Eastern, 4pm Pacific).

Status
Not open for further replies.