Export thread

Krisken's art stuff, previously all 40k miniatures

Limit: 500

Krisken

Krisken

I suppose a little back story should be used before I post these pictures. I've been an avid gamer for years. I've never been very good at actually playing the game or even very good at painting, but I am extremely patient when it comes to getting the exact effect I'm looking for when painting miniatures. As such, here are some pieces I've painted for Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. Mostly, they are my Lizardmen and Elder Iyanden Ghost army (my favorite).

Lizardmen pics.

Zombie Dragon

Iyanden ghost Army. The entire paint scheme started when I looked at my Jyhad (Vampire card game) box and saw the mask of the Nosferatu clan. I decided to paint that on the Wraithlord. Since then, it's been painted on 3 speeder bikes, 20 Wraithguard, and 2 Wraithlords. A pain in the rump to keep doing, but looks fantastic in the end.

Chaos Dragon (highly customized)

Let me know what y'all think.

Bubble181

Bubble181

That's an [expletive deleted] awesome Chaos Dragon. The rest is great, too. Way better than what most peopel here have, that's for sure. You get two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gusto

Gusto

Holy fucking tiny detail!

Very impressive! I am jealous of your fine motor skills!

Krisken

Krisken

Bubble181 said:
That's an [expletive deleted] awesome Chaos Dragon. The rest is great, too. Way better than what most peopel here have, that's for sure. You get two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks! It was a blast to paint it in those colors as opposed to the ones on the box (purple/blue/red). I added both the flags on the wings, the arrows, and the head tentacles (which are made from the old pink horror tails). The rider I put together using bits and the chair is made from skeleton regiment standards (I think). He was a lot of fun to put together!

Gusto said:
Holy fucking tiny detail!

Very impressive! I am jealous of your fine motor skills!
Thanks a lot! I just might take pictures of my other mini's now and post them up!

Terrik

Terrik

Really good! Wish I had the patience for that (and the money). I'd love to have an Ork army myself.

Hylian

Hylian

very nice :thumbsup:

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Terrik said:
Really good! Wish I had the patience for that (and the money). I'd love to have an Ork army myself.
Yea, I don't think I'd have the patience for this kind of thing, but it definitely shows that it is worth it!

They're all awesome, but that Chaos Dragon just looks amazinggg :shock:

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm a little surprised by the glowing reviews! Certainly helps push me to finish the few pieces I have to do yet to make complete armies.

A side note on the Eldar army- I used magnets and created the bases using the bases and molds for resin. I then cast the resin outside of each magnet. If I wanted to, each of the single figures could be put on the refrigerator :teeth:

Far

Far

I've always wanted to try warhammer myself so that I could have an excuse to paint those things. I've always wanted to learn how to paint them. I'd like to try my hand at making a terrain as well but I'll leave that for when I actually understand the game a bit more. I do have some extra money coming to me soon...

Anyway those are gorgeous and will probably make me horridly discouraged when I decide to start painting them and they turn out awful. :pthhp:

Krisken

Krisken

Far said:
I've always wanted to try warhammer myself so that I could have an excuse to paint those things. I've always wanted to learn how to paint them. I'd like to try my hand at making a terrain as well but I'll leave that for when I actually understand the game a bit more. I do have some extra money coming to me soon...

Anyway those are gorgeous and will probably make me horridly discouraged when I decide to start painting them and they turn out awful. :pthhp:
What's really discouraging is looking at what the Golden Demon (tournament painting champions) winners put together. Now that is depressing!

Thanks for the compliment though! I've been painting off and on for about 7 years now, and believe me, the first things I did looked AWFUL. Best advice I can give is keep at it and remember that primer is your friend for pieces that you don't like (you can always repaint it!).

Necronic

Necronic

Dude, you need to enter competitions. I've seen much worse stuff win. Your combined abilities at customizing and painting make for a deadly combination. Seriously, those are White Dwarf worthy. The dragons are amazing, as are the lizardmen pieces. I don't entirely like the eldar, but its more the color choice than the application itself.

Iaculus

Actully, the Chaos Dragon wasn't my favourite.

The Zombie Dragon's where it's at. Lovely job on the skin.

Krisken

Krisken

Necronic said:
Dude, you need to enter competitions. I've seen much worse stuff win. Your combined abilities at customizing and painting make for a deadly combination. Seriously, those are White Dwarf worthy. The dragons are amazing, as are the lizardmen pieces. I don't entirely like the eldar, but its more the color choice than the application itself.
Haha, I wish I had that kind of talent! Some of those guys have taken art classes and have a better grasp of color and lighting effects than I do.

As for White Dwarf, perhaps when I finally finish my Ratling attack on Dwarf Mountain snowglobe (a small fish tank that is set up as a snow scene involving Ratlings attacking the Dwarfs, which will have a pump to push the water and *snow around), maybe then I'll have something I wouldn't mind sharing.
Iaculus said:
Actully, the Chaos Dragon wasn't my favourite.

The Zombie Dragon's where it's at. Lovely job on the skin.
Thanks! I remember looking at the box and thinking that the dark color the 'Eavy Metal team used wasn't what I wanted. I definately dig the colors on that one too :)

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, very big update, so I'll start with the demons, and then wait a while so the pictures aren't all in one post.

EDIT!: Holy Schnikey's! Pictures will be resized and uploaded soon. I promise!

Edit2: Ok, better sizing! That was just obtrusive before.
Horrors

Lord of Change

Whole Army so far

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Damn man, I wish I didn't shake so I could paint like that. I agree with Nec, enter some damn competitions.

Hylian

Hylian

very nice :eek: :thumbsup:

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks guys :) I'll have more up in a while. Better pictures of the Lizardmen models and some Dwarf models that weren't up before.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, here are the updated Lizardmen pictures as promised.

Kroxigar

Salamanders

Saurus Warriors

Slann Mage Priest

Soon to come... Dwarves

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, finally the Dwarves. Pretty basic paint scheme on these guys.

Warriors

Thunderers

Crossbowmen

Standard Bearer

Dwarf Cannon

Dwarf Flame Cannon

Well, that's it until I finish painting the Daemon Flamers and Soul Grinder. Hopefully before the end of next month.

Baerdog

Baerdog

This stuff is awesome, Krisken. I love the job you did on your slaan, zombie dragon, and lord of change.

Krisken

Krisken

Awww, thanks you two! I do have fun painting the models! I really need to get more of my models up to show off!

Baerdog

Baerdog

Well you blow me out of the water as far as the amounts of models you have painted. I have over 5,000 points of Empire sitting in my box pleading for a paint job. I am terrible about sitting down and actually painting.

Krisken

Krisken

you paint the pants of off me. I bow before your superior painting skills whilst de-pantsd. seriously keep up the good work and post more pics maybe?
I definitely will keep posting pictures of models! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do have a few more models that I have painted but aren't included here that I wouldn't mind adding. It's just a shame that painting this stuff takes me so long!

Thank you for the kind words and I will absolutely post more of my finished pieces as soon as I am able!

phil

phil

That shits pretty awesome man. I really like the Lizardmen, but I might be bias 'cause I like them as an army.

The only model I was ever kinda proud of, paint wise, was my Carnafix, but it was so big getting some detail work on it wasn't that hard.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, miner update. I have some Daemons to add to the list. The Soul Grinder pictures came out really blue for some reason, as did the Tzeentch Flamers, so I'll try taking those pictures another day. Until then, I have some other mini's I've painted in the mean time.

Bloodletter

Daemon Prince

Screamers

Soul Grinder

Well, that's it. If a mod would be kind enough to move this back to the Post Your Stuff area, I'd appreciate it. 'Till I get those flamers pictures taken it may be a while till more get done. Someday....

Espy

Espy

Holy crap man, that's a TON of work! They look great!

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Espy! I've been painting for quite a while, so it's only natural I should accrue quite a collection of finished models.

Ok, as promised, the Flamers of Tzeentch. Added bonus a Champion of Tzeentch. If I ever find the arm to my Lord of tzeentch, I'll add that another day.
Flamers of Tzeentch

Yeah, I know, the one is chipping on his arm. I'll have to do some repair painting and apply a nice thick coat of Matte Varnish spray to fix that up.

Champion of Tzeentch

wana10

the paint jobs look amazing but, and i hate to say it, i think you should rebase the daemon prince. it might be a detriment gameplay wise but i think it would look a lot better on a 60mm base instead of squeezed onto the terminator base it's on now.

Krisken

Krisken

You know, I was a little surprised when I pulled him out of the package and he came with such a small base. For now he balances nice, but maybe I will eventually rebase him.

Iaculus

Not sure about the grey flames on your daemons, but I definitely like the Champion's hand-head and rainbow staff. Those must have been fiddly.

Krisken

Krisken

Unfortunately, that is a side effect of the slightly blue tint to the image. Those are actually green flames (much like the Daemon Princes sword. The bottom of the flamers body is actually much whiter than it appears in the images). It stands out much better in person. I really wish I had ideal conditions for taking pictures!

The staff was actually easier than you would think. It involved painting the staff with a metallic silver paint, then using each of the inks slightly watered down to keep from being too bright and mixing well. If I ever find the arm, I'll add the Champion to the images as well. He's pretty cool looking on his Disc.

Espy

Espy

This game intrigues me.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, a few more pictures, this time of the Bloodthirster. I'll probably work on the base some more and add a few details, but for the most part this is how he'll look.

I'm still working on what the best ideal conditions are for taking pictures of the minaitures is. Editing the image isn't my strong point, either, so if I do that it ends up either washed out or too dark. Eventually I'll find the best way to take the pictures.

Chibibar

you know a friend of mine once told me this, "You can be the most harshest critics"

I say enter some competition with your models. You might be surprise what you might get from it. Even if you didn't win, you may have the chance to talk with other enthusist and exchange ideas for next competitions.

You can never win if you don't compete :)

Krisken

Krisken

yay, new miniature to add. This is my Blue Scribes. It uses a disc from the old Lord choice and places two blue horrors on top. I created the scrolls and the rock base using Sculpy. I really like how they turned out.

As usual, I'm very happy to answer any questions. :) Enjoy!

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, Plaguebearers added to the list of finished (mostly) models. Just need to make more bases.

After looking at the images, there are places where I can touch up. The nad on the last image, a nose ring I hadn't noticed before, and I can highlight the bone a little bit with slightly yellower colors. Other than that though, this is how they look.

Enjoy :D

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Ignoring the part where they're hideous horrors from space, pretty sexy. If you don't mind my asking, how did you get that look for the bones?

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Allen :) For bones I tend to start with a dark brown and highlight gradually with a bleached bone/ivory. On these 5 models I didn't go as high as I normally do, so it's not as bright as I normally like it. Seems to work for these models though.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, a few more models I've been painting. Daemonettes and my new battle standard bearer. I might to more work on the standard, we'll see (never completely happy with my work).

Kitty Sinatra

Dayum! Those high res pics show off some damn good work

*thumbs up*

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Awesome painting brah.

I REALLY hate the new daemonette models, but that's not your fault. I like how everything works out with your highlighting. Your standard-bearer showed me that my problem with drybrushing must be something that I'm doing wrong, as it's a fine example of DB done RIGHT.

Krisken

Krisken

Gruebeard- Thanks! Though I must admit, they show me mistakes I have made that I didn't see initially (like that god-awful face tattoo doesn't look quite that choppy IRL). I'm hoping that I can use the camera more to find things I can fix later on, like adding better detail to the gold etching on the standard bearers cloak, or color in the nose ring on the plaguebearer that I missed.

Officer_Charon- Thank you for the compliment! Dry brushing can be a tricky and doesn't offer the same look as a gradual color increase, but if done right it looks nice. The most important thing to remember when drybrushing is it works best when the brush has almost no paint left on it. The paint also can't be too thin or it will spread too much. Don't be surprised if you have to go over the same area more than once. Dr. Fausts Painting Clinic on Drybrushing is a good place to get tips on drybrushing and areas that work well for it. I've moved away from drybrushing areas such as the standard bearer above (which is an older model I painted years ago), but it does still look nice. I'd probably mix colors for hours and gradually get to the highlights I want that way now.

Now I only use it on either large surfaces or as a base color for a model, then highlight on top using blending.

Krisken

Krisken

Quick update. Keeper of Secrets

And for fun here was a D and D character I made for a 4th edition game I played

Espy

Espy

Good lord. How do you get that level of detail on those things?

Also: Pics of your workspace? I'd like to see where and how you do all of this!

Krisken

Krisken

Good lord. How do you get that level of detail on those things?

Also: Pics of your workspace? I'd like to see where and how you do all of this!
Oh, absolutely. I've been working really hard on being clean in my workstation (though as you can see it's a hard fought battle). These two images are of the desk and the shelving unit I use for my painting/modeling supplies. The white box on the top corner of the shelving unit is where I store my paints. I probably should have shown off the paints I use (hind sight 20/20).

As for how I get the level of detail, I am setting up to do a painting tutorial using a fairly easy set of models (just a few colors). It should be interesting to see how it turns out!

Espy

Espy

Awesome! I love seeing workspaces.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, quick set of a flamer of tzeentch I painted up. I hope you enjoy!

I hope to have two more, painted in different color shcemes ready by this weekend..

Baerdog

Baerdog

I really like that red flamer.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Baer! I've had a lot of fun painting it. I think if I did it over again i would have lightened it up even more near the bottom and up to the waste area with the edges being a bright yellow. I really like how it turned out though.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, another Flamer finished. I love this one just because I can't wait to be playing a game and scream "Flamer, SMASH!"

Baerdog

Baerdog

That looks great. I love the idea of having units of differently colored flamers on the table.

Krisken

Krisken

I figured that considering the god they represent (Lord of Change), it would be silly to have all these creatures that are so uniform in color.

I am struggling with what color I should paint the last one though. Any ideas?

Baerdog

Baerdog

More warm colors. Yellow or orange perhaps.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Baby blue

Krisken

Krisken

Both very good suggestions. I'm thinking a bright bright yellow would serve me best though. Start with an orange undercoat and drive to a bright yellow. I'll have to figure out what color to do the flames.

I would do blue, allen, but the flamer unit I already painted were blue brightened to white (top dark blue, bottom to white). If I do baby blue it might look too much like those.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Does the Lore of Tzeentch still have the 7 colored flames of Tzeentch? Those would be good themes to work with for your flamers and other demons.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Understandable. Bright yellow was going to be my second suggestion.

Gusto

Gusto

Christ I envy your ability to pick out detail. :(

Krisken

Krisken

Christ I envy your ability to pick out detail. :(
Really, anyone can do it. The trick to seeing all the detail is that first drybrushing. That helps to show me everything that needs attending to. It is why I start my models with one color, no matter how big it is.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, this should be the last flamer for a while. I'd really like to have another 3 to finish the last colors of the rainbow, having orange, purple, and indigo flamers. As it is, I think these look pretty cool :D

And just for fun, a group of each color-

Baerdog

Baerdog

That yellow one is really awesome. Whoever gave you the ideas for doing some for each color of the rainbow must also be pretty awesome, cause that's an awesome idea.

Krisken

Krisken

That yellow one is really awesome. Whoever gave you the ideas for doing some for each color of the rainbow must also be pretty awesome, cause that's an awesome idea.
Hm, I wonder who that could be! I'm definitely excited about how the 7 colors will look as a unified force.

Krisken

Krisken

I never do this, but here are some images of the Soul Grinder I'm in the process of painting. The wings are made from wire, sculpy, epoxy putty, glue, and cardboard.

Long ways to go yet, but I thought y'all might enjoy.

Krisken

Krisken

Only one image right now, the picture of the Bloodcrusher of Khorne. I like how this one turned out.

I've entered a couple of my pictures into a painting/picture taking competition. Wish me luck!

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, not a big update, but I finished one of my Eldar Harlequins. Honestly, this model was a bucket load of fun to paint. Very challenging to get the pattern down right!

Last, an image of the cloak, which is largely obscured by the legs. I painted this model with the bottom and top half separate to make sure I didn't make too many mistakes!

I still need to decorate the base a bit and paint the gems on the model, but other than that, it is finished.

Please tell me what y'all think, ok?

Vagabond

V.Bond

Your models are so vivid, mang.

I really, really like all the colors you use.

A lot.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks! Colors seem to be one of my strong points. I'm looking forward to seeing how I will get this unit to fit in with my Eldar army already painted. This model has the left leg panted in that armies colors, turquoise and yellow, as well as the shoulder pads and the mohawk. Should be fun finding ways to get the other ones to fit as well :D

Baerdog

Baerdog

That looks really great Krisken. I especially like the inside of the coat.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Baer :) I'm a little afraid of when i decide to do the pattern on legs or arms (since the curves complicate things a bit).

If it wasn't for foundation white, the job would have been a lot harder!

(yay, new page!)

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, second Harlequin is finished.

I'm going to limit my posts to a couple pictures so we don't run into the problems of the first two pages... takes WAY too long to load!

Baerdog

Baerdog

Looks great, I like the base you made for him. How stable is he? It'd be a shame to have him fall and chip of somebody bumps the table.

Krisken

Krisken

Not as stable as I'd like. I'm thinking of improving the base by dipping it into a resin mold to increase the weight and flatness of the bottom. That is the plan, anyways.

I'd hate to see him topple over and have his arm pop off again!

Krisken

Krisken

Eldar Pathfinders (which are upgraded Eldar Rangers)

Vrii

Vrii

An easy way to make models more stable on their bases is just to tape or glue a nickel to the bottom of it. Five cents and it ends up a lot more balanced.

That's assuming, of course, that the bottom of the bases is still hollow, with a nicely nickel-sized open space.

Krisken

Krisken

I would do that Vrii, but my bases are magnets with resin surrounding them. That harlequin base is one of the older bases I made, so it's not as big as the other bases. I believe that if I just fill it a bit it will be more stable.

Krisken

Krisken

I know I have posted images of most of these already, but I thought it would be fun to have an image of all of my Daemons to give an idea of the scope of painted miniatures.

Neat, eh?

Dave

Dave

Jesus Christ! How do you ever see the light of day?

Baerdog

Baerdog

That....that is a lot of demons.

Krisken

Krisken

@ Dave- Well, it is my hobby :D Honestly, I've been painting these guys for 8 years or so.

@ Baer- Yeah it is. I can't wait to pull them all out at the end of the month for the Apocalypse game! Over 200 models resulting in over 6,000 points.

Baerdog

Baerdog

At least it's not 6000 points of Imperial Guard or Orks.

Krisken

Krisken

Oh, yeah, then a majority of my models would be plastic. Instead of only 35 of them :p

Baerdog

Baerdog

You'd also have three times as many.

Krisken

Krisken

You'd also have three times as many.
This is true as well. Though, admittedly, my army lacks the ability to field single models that have points costs above 300 points :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ok, second Harlequin is finished.

I'm going to limit my posts to a couple pictures so we don't run into the problems of the first two pages... takes WAY too long to load!
:shocked:

I'm still amazed at the details you achieve on something that's so tiny. The coat looks GREAT!

Iaculus

Eldar Pathfinders (which are upgraded Eldar Rangers)

Soo... Alaitoc, Iyanden, or a craftworld of your own devising?

Krisken

Krisken

@Cajungal: Thanks!!! I was really pleased with how the cloak turned out (especially since I was unsure about the pattern). It was crazy trying to make those lines straight! It's actually a little frustrating to take pictures of the work and see mistakes I've made that I didn't see when I painted it.

@Iaculus: I consider it a spin off of the Iyanden craftworld, instead of using pure blue/yellow colors, the army is a golden yellow and hawk turquoise color. I also use green for other bits and highlights. I focus heavily on Wraithguard and Wraithlord units and use Spiritseers.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, the Soul Grinder with the wings if finally done.

I need to get me a blood angel to put in his claw to crush, I think. :D

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, I now have pictures of the Soul Grinder on a base I made.

And some Nurglings I made recently. The bases I used the bottoms of paper dixie cups to make.

Krisken

Krisken

So, I mentioned I was working on a Plague Tower. It started like this-

and now is primed black all over and looks like-

This is definitely a work in progress project, but so far I'm very pleased with how it's turning out. Tonight I begin the base coloring of metal. If I'm really lucky, I'll get to start adding the rust and plague style stuff too!

Wish me luck!

Krisken

Krisken

I think I'm going to do a picture of each major area as it gets done. It might be nice to see the progression of the model to see how I got the the final product. Go rust!

Krisken

Krisken

The tanks have been made to look like the plague swords from the Plaguebearers :) Yay, oxidized copper!

Roxxoredizorz

Dude, so good.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Roxxor :D I appreciate that (a lot!).

Ok, here is an idea on just how big the model is. On the bottom is a plaguebearer, one of my standard troop choices. He is standing on a 25mm base.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, newest image of the plague tower of nurgle.

I know it's a little blurry, but here is a close up image of the plague tanks.

See ya soon :)

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Is it actually oxidized copper or did you paint it to look oxidized?

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Either way, how did you get that look?

Krisken

Krisken

It's just painted to look like oxidized copper. The way I got the look was by first painting the entire tank jade green
and then painting areas with a mix of chocolate brown and terracota brown. After that I highlighted the brown area with a metallic copper. Finally, I took jade green and some white and mixed them to soften the color of the jade green.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out myself!

Here I have the top turret added.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, final Plague Tower picture. It's ready to put on the field and unnerve my opponents!

The next project, Silver Tower of Tzeentch! (Yeah, it's going to look... different)

makare

That thing is grotesque and horrible. Also awesome.

Nurglings are major disappointments on all counts. Just fyi.

Iaculus

Ooh, looking forward to the Silver Tower.

Also, that Soul Grinder totally needs to be crushing something. Blood Angels are acceptable.

wana10

ewwwwwwwwww

(and don't listen to makare, nurglings are awesome)

Krisken

Krisken

I love my little nurglings :D Sorry makare. Yes, I will have more. A total of 147 is the current estimate. That leaves roughly 65 for me to make yet.

Yeah, Iaculus, the Silver Tower I want to model it after looks really slick. I'm hoping I can give it justice :)

Thanks wana!

Krisken

Krisken

Well, a couple WIP updates. The Silver Towers are coming along slowly...

Which now looks like

I know the picture quality is terrible. When I have more time (and more finished on it) I'll do my best to get a better quality picture of it. The disk is coming along nicely. I still need to design banners, create a roof for the box area in the front, and come up with some other nice bits and such which would work well on the base. Lots to do!

Plus the Pink Horrors turned Plaguebearers is slowly coming along-

I have 30 of the 84 painted like this so far. I'll probably highlight the claws a little bit and find a nice putrid color for the bumps on the skin yet.

Till next time :)

wana10

awesome to see the new tower coming along, and those classic horrors look amazing in green!

but...the images are broken(for me at least). i can see them when i click on the link and follow them to imageshack but i can't see them here. you need to replace the links with the direct image link imageshack puts on the redirect page i think

from this
Code:
http://img260.imageshack.us/i/1000846n.jpg/
to this
Code:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6950/1000846n.jpg

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks wana. I fixed the web link so the images should be good now. Imageshack got.. funky on me.

Krisken

Krisken

Now that the basic design of the tower is finished, I'm working on the bits that will be placed on it and decorate it.

This is one of the banners I'm working on so far. I created a constellation which is the symbol of Tzeentch above a planet... kinda foreboding!

Krisken

Krisken

Second banner for the tower is finished. This one is nice and bright, really standing out on the stone-like surface of the tower.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, here is the finished Tower of Tzeentch, banners and all. Hope y'all like it! :)

wana10

looks good krisken. now when do we get a battle report where this thing floats over "the river" and lays waste to the imperium of man?:p

Krisken

Krisken

Awww, sadly not until December. I am looking forward to putting down 19 units of Nurglings and tying up every troop choice the opponents put out :D

Krisken

Krisken

Well, another update. I decided my Heralds of Tzeentch needed to ride in style and have some Chariots.

Herald #1

Herald #2

The chariots are made out of sculpy, which I then baked and painted. I still need to put some chains or other connection between the screamers and the chariots, but that will have to wait until I have a budget to spend.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, another model just finished (I've been doing a lot at once). I'll be redoing the bases soon to be similar to the Soul Grinders, so I haven't been working on those. This is a converted Hive Tyrant to be a Nurgle Daemon Prince.

Nurgle is the daemon prince of decay and plague. Think it fits that? :)

wana10

screamer chariots! awesome! :D
nurgle prince looks awesome too

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks wana! I think next week I'm going to spend time remaking the larger bases to have the ruins image. I'm also going to the pet store to pick up cat food this week. Hopefully I'll find some fish tank vines that will make some great overgrowth for my bases.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, 4 more pictures, this time of the Khorne Daemon Prince. I used the Tyranid Hive Tyrant model this time, along with a sword from a really old Great Unclean One.

Now I have 3 Daemon Princes ready for games :D

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are... ANY of these legal in matches? I thought you needed an actual piece if you wanted to use it in your army.

Krisken

Krisken

Are... ANY of these legal in matches? I thought you needed an actual piece if you wanted to use it in your army.
I'm not sure what you mean. Which pieces are you speaking of exactly? The converted Carnifex is a GW model, as is the converted Hive Tyrant. I just puddied them up a bit and painted them as something else. As for the chariots, GW doesn't make chariots for the models, so I have to make it. Isn't that crazy? There are rules for models in the game they don't even make!

If you're asking about the Plague Tower and Silver Tower of Tzeentch, they aren't legal for general play. They are Imperial Armory rules, and actual models aren't available for most of them. They are all "opponents permission", and I plan to use them for the Apocalypse game we have planned for December.

Let me know if I answered your question AshburnerX

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not sure what you mean. Which pieces are you speaking of exactly? The converted Carnifex is a GW model, as is the converted Hive Tyrant. I just puddied them up a bit and painted them as something else. As for the chariots, GW doesn't make chariots for the models, so I have to make it. Isn't that crazy? There are rules for models in the game they don't even make! [/QUOTE]

So it's perfectly legal to buy a cheaper piece, modify it, and claim it's something else... and it's tourney legal? I wasn't sure if there was some ruling that says you have to have an actual piece (as in, actual Daemon Princes) if you wanted to use it in a tournament.

Baerdog

Baerdog

It's perfectly tournament legal as long as there is some kind of GW part somewhere on the model. That's what we call the "counts-as" rule.

Krisken

Krisken

Yup. People proxy up models to represent more expensive models all the time. I've heard people use ghouls to represent plaguebearers. Sometimes, though, they do this for an aesthetic reason, not economical.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Looks like the alien from Alien, but fancier. Again, I marvel at the detail you can achieve on such tiny little things. The red fading into black looks super cool.

Krisken

Krisken

Looks like the alien from Alien, but fancier. Again, I marvel at the detail you can achieve on such tiny little things. The red fading into black looks super cool.
Awww, thanks :D The model line for the Tyranid army when they got revamped the first time really did have an Alien look to it.

About the only thing I added to the red guy was some buddy around the waste line and chest area to not look too alien.

wana10

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
i like how you have repurposed these old 'nids.

Krisken

Krisken

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
i like how you have repurposed these old 'nids.
Daemons can corrupt anything, right? :laugh:

Just arrived in the mail: Epidemius. I can't wait to glue this big blob of metal and bits together and start the painting. It will be so much fun!

Krisken

Krisken

My newest model, Epidemius.

One of these pictures will be submitted to a site to display the model. Which one should I choose?

wana10

pic 1 has the best overall look at the model.

oh, and papa nurgle would be proud....ewwwwwwww

Baerdog

Baerdog

I like the different colors on the nurglings. It does a lot to break up the drab greens and browns that *ahem* plague most Nurgle models.

wana10

I like the different colors on the nurglings. It does a lot to break up the drab greens and browns that *ahem* plague most Nurgle models.
...you should be ashamed of yourself

Krisken

Krisken

Lol, it's ok. There is one image I think of where the model of Epidemius looks fantastically painted, but it looks like a pile of strawberry jam because of all the red on it. It's interesting to see the differences between the clean painting vs. realistic painting. Sure, my models don't necessarily look realistic, but I do try to push them to striking colors and to vary the coloring up a bit to prevent mono-colored armies.

wana10

i was calling baer out on his horrible pun actually... your color choices look great :p

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, it may seem as though I haven't done much lately, but I have begun a new scratch building project. It's in very early stages, but when it is finished it will be a Chaos Warhound Titan. Titans are the biggest machines on the battlefield, setting the field alight with its destruction. This is just the legs so far, and not even finished legs at that. Still, I like how it's shaping up and will update as I feel the need. Till the next update, enjoy!

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, slight update with 3 pictures of the Titans legs.

Ok, the additions include-
Finished adding the hubs to the leg gears
All of the pistons have been finished and added to the model
added more of the decorative edging.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish all of the edging, cover all exposed areas (wow, there are a lot of them!), and add some decorative aspects to it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

You're gonna need more spikes. *laughs*

Seriously, though, this has potential for epic-levels of win. And not just because its a Titan. *sadtrombone*

Krisken

Krisken

Oh yeah I will! I only have 4 spike pieces, too. So far it's turning out really well. I've attached most of the toe pieces and hope to have them finished tonight. I've also made a patch of skulls out of a mold I made and cast it with resin twice, so there will be skull squares at the hip joints and maybe in other areas yet. Really like how it's turning out so far! Long ways to go though. I was busy most of the day, so didn't get much done today. Hopefully by sometime next week I'll have the bottom half finished being built and ready to prime. Any suggestions on paint schemes/colors to use?

Thanks for the comment Officer_Charon :)

Krisken

Krisken

More pictures of the Scratch Build Warhound Titan. Finally finished trimming the toes and other bits and have primed the model with gray.

Sorry the pictures aren't better. I really need to make a bigger light box!

wana10

for colors i'd either play up the skull motif and go with red/bronze/SKULLZFORTHESKULLTHRONE or a really grimy looking nurgle job with oil stains seeping from the joints

Krisken

Krisken

I probably will go Khorne style with it. I have brass colored chains I picked up from the hobby store, and it would probably be the easiest color scheme for me to plant on it. Means I'll have to get black spray paint yet :)

Krisken

Krisken

Some early pictures of painted legs. LOng way to go before they are done though. Still have to paint the trim, the pistons on the feet, and highlight much of the model. I did paint the skulls though :)

Baerdog

Baerdog

Needs more skulls and spikes. MOAR!

Krisken

Krisken

Planning on it :) I want to make my spikes separately so they don't muck up the paint job by accident. The shin guards will have more skulls than you can shake a stick at, and I'll probably have tons of skulls/spikes on the top of the model. More to come!

Necronic

Necronic

You really are a fantastic painter dude. I'm getting back into painting after like 10 years or so, and surprisingly I am better now than I ever was. The models have been hit/miss. A couple came out really bad and others came out great. The one thing that is throwing me now is that it seems like everyone "dips" now instead of applying inks/drybrushes by hand. And to be honest the dipped models I have seen are fantastic looking.

Right now I am working on an Eversor assassin. I converted a Malcador Spyrer:
(not a great picture)

I've cut off one of the arms and put in a power sword. I'm painting the backpack to look like his supply of combat drugs and the claw is going to be his nuero gauntlet, and doing to head with the skull motif. The body I am doing with a gore red ink with a bleached bone brush across it. Trying to make it look like muscles/tendons etc. So far its not too bad, but I never know how it will turn out until I slap the 'Ard Coat on.

On that note, my local gamestore is fucking awesome. They have a painting table in the back that is open for anyone to use. It has a lot of paints and other tools you may need. You need your own brushes but other than that you have almost anything you need. For anyone in the Houston area the place is called Asgard Games. They actually put a GW store around the corner out of business, that's how fucking awesome they are.

Krisken

Krisken

That sounds fantastic Necronic! Good to hear you're getting back into the hobby and have a place nearby which helps to support it. I have to drive 45 minutes to find a store which has gaming tables!

Are those models you painted or images you found on the internet?

Necronic

Necronic

Just something I found on the net. I really couldn't find shit for a good picture of a Malcador Spyrer

I'll get some pictures up of some of the stuff I have painted

Krisken

Krisken

I absolutely look forward to it! I'm always interested in seeing the stuff other people are painting. :)

Necronic

Necronic

Here we go. Just a couple Terminators. The best one I have done so far is a techmarine, but I left it at work. Excuse the bad lighting on it, I'll get some better pictures up soon.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Krisken

Krisken

Just flying right along with this thing, eh? I highlighted all of the brass areas and plan to lighten certain areas on the brass even more for lighting effects.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Looking awesomer by the day :D

Necronic

Necronic

Finished the Eversor today, not thrilled about parts of it but it could have come out worse. Left it at the games store though so I'll grab some pictures of it tommorow.

Krisken

Krisken

Sounds good Necronic. Something I've tried doing since I restarted painting my miniatures is to try something new each time I start a new project. With the floating disc, I tried to make special banners for the towers that would stand out. Even building the titan is a new experience for me. Whether it is working with washes, focusing on a new basing technique, or just discovering which colors are the best at complimenting each other, try to find a new angle you haven't thought of yet. Remember, you can always repaint a model (believe me!).

I dig the faces and the shoulder emblems :)

Necronic

Necronic

Right now I am just trying to remaster the drybrushing and inking

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, just one picture for now, but it has the shin guards finished and ready for action! The lower half of the Titan is looking pretty epic so far.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

The lower half of the Titan is looking pretty epic so far.
YES

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks SilverJelly :)

Ok, last picture for the night, I think. Chains added to the model

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, some updates. Probably won't seem all that impressive after seeing the bottom half all painted and finished, but this is what I've done for the top so far-

The arms-

The body piece (still being assembled)

And all put together

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, insomnia sucks a little. At least I'm getting a lot done, eh?

One arm finished.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, I've done a bit since the last update.

I've completed quite a bit of the titan, but I really have to cut out the head pieces and assemble the head. Hopefully I like how it looks. If I dislike it, I'll be doing modifications to make it less... truckasaurus.

Here we have the completed basic titan, sans head.

After the head is attached, I can fill the open areas with large spikes, khorne symbols, and even paint other details on the titan.

Hylian

Hylian

looking very nice :thumbsup:

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Coolness

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks guys :D I'm currently trying to develop the head piece and give it a unique look and take the truck design away a bit. Last thing I want is for it to look like a semi-truck patched onto a titan body :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Love that red and the detail on the front. And he's actually a cute little guy.. like some kind of gun bird.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You've made Metal Gear Rex's cultist little brother!

Krisken

Krisken

Hah, I suppose it does look a little like Rex :D I hadn't even thought of that!

I still feel like I have a lot to go yet. The titan has a lot of open spaces that could have chains and various other bits and pieces added to give a stronger chaos feel (besides the many, many skulls!).

I've got a few extra ideas for the head, and I have a collar idea I think I'm going to use. Make it a bit more animalistic and Khorne themed.

Cajungal

Cajungal

So I know this is for some sort of tabletop game, but do you ever just line em up and put on plays or have little wars in your living room?

Baerdog

Baerdog

Yes, in fact when the titan is finished it will be playing the role of Macbeth in his Warhammer 40k production of the Scottish Play.

In the grim darkess of the future, there is only SHAKESPEARE!

Hylian

Hylian

Out of curiosity how much would someone be looking at spending if they wanted to get into Warhammer 40k?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yes, in fact when the titan is finished it will be playing the role of Macbeth in his Warhammer 40k production of the Scottish Play.

In the grim darkess of the future, there is only SHAKESPEARE!
Is this a big fucking gun I see before me?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF SHAKESPEARE, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much shakespeare. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

wana10

Out of curiosity how much would someone be looking at spending if they wanted to get into Warhammer 40k?
it really all depends on which army you're interested in and how you want to play that army. for a basic army around 2000pts i'd probably budget around 300$. however you could easily go over that if you load up on vehicles or a horde style army.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

it really all depends on which army you're interested in and how you want to play that army. for a basic army around 2000pts i'd probably budget around 300$. however you could easily go over that if you load up on vehicles or a horde style army.[/QUOTE]

Here's the reality your looking at spending:

- $57.75 for the Core Rulebook
- $20-30 for your army's Codex (really needed to get the most out of your army)
- $100-200 for Paints, Brushes, Sculpting Putty, and bases (If you buy from Games Workshop. I wouldn't.)
- $300 and up for your Army, depending on how many vehicles you field

That's around $500 bucks just to get started. That's not even counting the dozens of hours you'll spend cleaning, assembling, posing, and painting your army. That's right, your army needs to be fully painted to be eligible for an official tournament.

Cajungal

Cajungal

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF SHAKESPEARE, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much shakespeare. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!
:confused:

Krisken

Krisken

it really all depends on which army you're interested in and how you want to play that army. for a basic army around 2000pts i'd probably budget around 300$. however you could easily go over that if you load up on vehicles or a horde style army.[/QUOTE]

Here's the reality your looking at spending:

- $57.75 for the Core Rulebook
- $20-30 for your army's Codex (really needed to get the most out of your army)
- $100-200 for Paints, Brushes, Sculpting Putty, and bases (If you buy from Games Workshop. I wouldn't.)
- $300 and up for your Army, depending on how many vehicles you field

That's around $500 bucks just to get started. That's not even counting the dozens of hours you'll spend cleaning, assembling, posing, and painting your army. That's right, your army needs to be fully painted to be eligible for an official tournament.[/QUOTE]
This is an incredibly unfair assessment.

The first thing you have to do is remind yourself it is a hobby. All hobbies cost money, whether it is scrapbooking, skeet shooting, or modeling. Hell, paintball costs a fortune as well, and can easily run you $1,000 a year if you do it enough.

Most people don't start out aiming for 2,000 points. In fact, my play group has just graduated to 1,000. If you are the first person to start it up, yes, you'll need a rule book. Most people get by without one if they know someone who is already playing though. Honestly, it all depends on the army you want to play and who you're playing against.

Initial investment for a new player in an established setting (has a basic rulebook) and using space marines as the army looks more like this:
HQ choice: $10-$20
2 Troop choices: $70
Heavy (dreadnaught): $40
Rulebook: $25

Total: $155

Most people forgive a new player not having painted mini's just starting out. Eventually $20 in paints and brushes will get you to where you need to go if you are thrifty about what you use and how you use it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Many game stores will get you in using the drug dealer's philosophy: "First taste's free." (or at least heavily discounted)

When I first started, I started with Space Marines, which is a very newbie-friendly army. 1 HQ choice (Captain + retinue), 2 Tac Squads and a Dreadnaught. About 750 points, all told. If you have a group of gamer near you that aren't a bunch of min-maxing munchkins, many will work with you and try to help you out when you start up, offering advice on purchasing and occasionally throwing some extra supplies your way (paints, glue, brushes etc).

It's like any other hobby, and occasionally you can get yourself lost in it. Be wary of that happening, especially if you have a high credit limit! *grins*

Also, be wary of ridicule. My wife teases me all the time about having "tea parties with my dollies." *harumph*

Krisken

Krisken

Heh, mine asks me to take a month off so she can spend some time with me ;) The Titan has sorta taken all my time!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

But it is looking delicious, thus far. STILL needs more spikes, tho. *grins* I love the chain loincloth you've got for him, and the skull "stucco" bit you've got going on with him. The brass is turning out pretty sweet, too.

Krisken

Krisken

Thank you :) I have finished with the basic coloring and outline colors for the big 'ole beast. I'm planning on spending the next month decorating and highlighting it so it is a bit more... decorative. Definitely needs more highlights.

However, I have created a head that isn't so Truckasaurus.

Hopefully someday I'll have a camera that isn't so grainy in its picture taking.

Krisken

Krisken

Probably seems like I haven't been doing anything since finishing the Titan, eh? Hah! That's where you would be wrong.

This is the beginning of my Skull Tower. This is another Khorne themed vehicle, but this one is more of a tank. It started out as a box and I've been slowly adding things here and there to improve on it.

I'll have more pictures later when all of the detail has been added.

Necronic

Necronic

If you want to get into warhammer, go to a games store. Watch some games and get a feel for the army. Figure out which ones you like, they are all pretty equally good (except Blood Angels, don't play them they are terrible 8) )

Then, when you feel like you have decided on an army, Go to Ebay, Go directly to Ebay do not go to your games store and do not spend 200 dollars. Buy your army on Ebay. Good GOD they are cheap on there.

Edit: And I am taking some pictures tonight darnit. I just can't get good lighting for the minis.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If you want to get into warhammer, go to a games store. Watch some games and get a feel for the army. Figure out which ones you like, they are all pretty equally good (except Blood Angels, don't play them they are terrible 8) )

Then, when you feel like you have decided on an army, Go to Ebay, Go directly to Ebay do not go to your games store and do not spend 200 dollars. Buy your army on Ebay. Good GOD they are cheap on there.

Edit: And I am taking some pictures tonight darnit. I just can't get good lighting for the minis.
The problem with going on eBay, however, is that you can't guarantee your figures are going to arrive in one piece, which could render them useless to your needs. You also can't guarantee that the seller is being perfectly honest about the quality of the figures... I know a friend of mine got screwed with a trade he did before, where he gave up a mint Landraider for what turned out to be a bunch of badly damaged Sisters.

Krisken

Krisken

Yup, you're both right. You could get warhammer figures cheap off of Ebay, but you must be careful and make sure your buyer has a good rating within the warhammer community.

Baerdog

Baerdog

The problem with going on eBay, however, is that you can't guarantee your figures are going to arrive in one piece, which could render them useless to your needs. You also can't guarantee that the seller is being perfectly honest about the quality of the figures... I know a friend of mine got screwed with a trade he did before, where he gave up a mint Landraider for what turned out to be a bunch of badly damaged Sisters.[/QUOTE]
Checking the seller's rating is very important when buying off of eBay and so is making sure you know exactly what is going to be in the lot. If some of the models arrive broken? Tough shit, that's what happens when you send Warhammer stuff through the mail. A few minutes with some superglue and maybe a in or two and that should be all taken care of. If that "professional" paint job really doesn't look so professional? Strip the models and paint them the way you want them to be painted. eBay is a great resource for a beginning Warhammer player if you know how to be smart about it.

Krisken

Krisken

Necronic- I look forward to seeing some pictures of your stuff :) It's always nice to get an idea on what other Warhammer and 40K players on the board are cooking up!

Necronic

Necronic

I may try to get my brother to take some pics of these. He has a better camera than me and a better eye for that shit anyways. The problem is that the models I pain are usually pretty dark, so it requires a pretty good set of lighting. That said here's the next batch:

Callidus assassin modded from a Magehunter Assassin (warmachine)

Space Wolf Techmarine:

And finally a Warmachine 'jack (juggernaut)

I'll try to get some shots with better lighting etc.

Krisken

Krisken

Time for another update!

I have begun the painting of the Skull Tower of Khorne. It is a crazy long process. I made this redder than the Titan.

I have gun turrets set for those two side areas all ready for when the trim is painted and some chains I picked up to add some detail to the tank. Overall I'm quite pleased with how it looks so far. Not including the skulls I put in the vat on the top of the tank, there are 888 skulls on all the sides of the tank.

Necronic

Necronic

wowwwww.

Nice one man.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Necronic :)

Ok, a couple more pictures with updates to the tower of skulls (which is coming along nicely).

I think I'm going to spend a little more time with highlights on this project than i did for the Titan. I'm happier with the reds on this vehicle, plus I scavanged quite a few spikes from other kits. The plow is a little shinier than i would like, but hopefully the highlights will give it some contrast and make the khorne symbol stand out a bit more.

Krisken

Krisken

Did some highlighting and painted the pool of blood and skulls at the top of the tower. Looking to start the areas still black and maybe highlight the trim on the tower

Krisken

Krisken

Well, here it is, the finished Skull Tower of Khorne. As much as I like the Titan, I think I'm more fond of the Skull Tower. Built out of my own design, each stage resulted in quite a few happy accidents. The reds stand out from each other due to using two different brands. The side guns were fitted in after I had created the octagon and suddenly thought "Hey, guns could go there!"

I'm especially pleased with my first attempt at mud detailing. I think it is sufficiently spattered and looks to have wet mud near the bottom caking on top of dry mud. I hope I can duplicate this int he future.

As always, any thoughts or ideas on how I can improve the model is greatly appreciated. So far, though, I love how it has turned out.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

First thought: Good gods, that must've been a lot of work, look at all those little skulls!

And then, afterward: That is beautiful work, man. It takes a lot of gusto just to start an ambitious project like that, let alone have the skill and talent to finish it looking so terrific.

Krisken

Krisken

I admit, when I was painting the last of the skulls and would find another one I missed I'd think to myself "Holy shit, another one?", but as the project was finishing up I got a sense of accomplishment I normally don't get.

Thanks for the comment escushion :D

Denbrought

Denbrought

:D Yay mud. Gorgeous work overall, would love to battle against that once I have an army.

Krisken

Krisken

At this point, I'll play against paper craft :D

Krisken

Krisken

After keeping so busy with the bigger models, I decided to take a break and make some terrain pieces for our games.

Fences:

Simple to make, using dowel rods, card stock, some sand, static grass, and window screen.

Also, got tired of looking at the bare bases on some of my Daemon models, so I spruced them up a bit with some alien looking plants.

I started a Shadowseer for the Harlequin troupe, but that will have to wait for the next update :)

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, work in progress pictures. This is the Shadowseer I started today at the festival.

I have a very long way to go, but I have the blue and yellow painted pretty close to how I want it, plus have a start for the checkerboard pattern on the hood, arm, and leg. We'll see how long before i start tearing my hair out :)

Krisken

Krisken

Something a friend said the other day which stuck with me was it is impossible to paint the perfect rhombus!

I'm liking the diamonds so far. Lots to do yet though!

Krisken

Krisken

Today's update.

I take way too long painting sometimes! Started the red front and rear, as well as the glove. Also painted the visor and began the non-metal metal, which is the grip of the Harlequin Kiss and the bottom portion of the visor. The plan at this point involves the black ribbon having a red heart and diamond placed upon it, while the other side will have the spade and club shape. I'm wishing at this point I had made the center ribbon another color so the other side ribbon could be red, but I'll have to improvise at this point.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I might have suggested leaving the center ribbon white and making the other side ribbon red. You should see what it looks like leaving that last ribbon white anyway, it's easy enough to paint over if you don't like it. :thumbsup:

Krisken

Krisken

I'm thinking about it. That one color being in the wrong place is really messing me up.

Shit, I got it. Diamonds and stripes. I can make the other side red without it being off-putting.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, DAMN IT. Third time trying to do this without fucking it up (getting annoyed).

Yet another update.

Ok, as can be seen, I added a lot of detail to the golden areas. I'd like some input on if it looks gold or if it needs work. For the most part, I am pleased with it, but it is hard to judge my own work.

I have also started making the center ribbon a checker pattern so I can make the right one red. This will allow me to add a spade and club to one side and a heart and diamond on the other. I'll probably have a couple other things on there as well.

The last thing I did was try to fix a couple of the lines on the left pants leg. It was quite crooked and a little jarring to my eye. Hopefully I've fixed that.

Anywho, please let me know what you think!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Jesus son... so much freakin' detail!

His belt-buckle looks less highlighted and more chipped-paint looking. Maybe less of a white highlight? Soften with a wash, maybe? It looks like you're going for a non-metallic metal look, am I right?

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I'm trying for that effect. It's much harder than it looks! I'm going to try to soften the belt areas a hair. It's amazing how the camera has the ability to make minute mistakes stand out like sore thumbs!
I may try painting outside again, as the sunlight removes the shadows created from unnatural lighting.
We'll see if I can fix that area and get a lot done on the Shadowseer. I do love how it's turning out so far though.
Gems.... I'm thinking of going for a green for the gems. Probably something bright. I want the gems to stand out and really cause some ooohs and aaahs. Going to do some research. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Officer_Charon! I especially appreciate any criticism and alternative advice. I love the "it looks great" comments, don't get me wrong, but my goal at this point is to improve my painting and expand upon my experience. Maybe some day I'll be able to compete with those nutters on Coolminiornot!

Cajungal

Cajungal

That Jester-lookin thing is so cool. The stripes and little studs on the sleeve are very cool. So much detail. Very nice! You should try painting masterpieces on the head of a pin. ;)

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Cajungal :) I have a whole lot to improve on, but I think I'm getting better.

Not sure I like how the silver is coming out. I darkened the gold areas to reflect the yellows better.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

The gold is coming along much smoother now. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you even ATTEMPTING this technique - I've only observed one of the guys at my store trying it with his Vallejo paints, and he'll sit there for a couple hours on a small section, just layering tiny amounts at a time.

The silver... appears a touch too dark, perhaps? Or is that still just base layer?

Krisken

Krisken

I admit, it is somewhat tedious!

The silver... I think I'm going to just say it isn't silver at this point. I may have to practice the technique much more before I can perfect this one. My wife suggested I get a couple models I'm not using and make silver statues out of them to practice on. I think I'm going to take her up on it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

That does sound like a good suggestion. And you're not so far into the coloring that a layer or two of Kommando Khaki won't make it more wraithboney. *grins*

That stuff is tough - tough enough that I know I'm not going to attempt it for a long, LONG time. Your technique and attention to detail is fantastic, so it's not like you're a scrub fighting out of his weight class... just practice is all. Great stuff!

Hmmm.... maybe a small layer of blue drybrushed on, then finished up with adding white in ever-lightening layers? Or do you think that would kill it?

Krisken

Krisken

Hm, not sure. It's always worth a shot :) I know the brown inking helped tremendously with the gold areas. I'll give that a shot in the morning. Thanks for the critical eye and suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Not a problem... I use Flesh Wash on my (metallic) gold areas, before highlighting with Burnished Gold/Mithril Silver. Maybe a similar tactic with Asurmen Blue Wash, perhaps? Mix in a touch of Black ink, to keep it glossy, then add progressively paler drybrushings?

Of course, it's easy for me to Monday-morning quarterback it... I'm not the one holding the brush! *wry chuckle* Seriously man, great job on him. Her. It.

Stupid Spess Elveses...

Krisken

Krisken

I decided to put on a black wash which helped darken the blue tint a bit. I think it helped a lot. Plus, I repainted the metal areas from the ground up.
This post may be image heavy.

Ok, so what did I do since the last update? I fixed the silver metal areas to better suit my liking. I highlighted the purple bags hanging off the waste areas. I completed the ribbons with designs and now (for the most part) they have reached my satisfaction. I have painted the mask hanging on the leg by making the ring around the gem gold and then placing a green gem inside. I painted all of the gems a green and highlighted each one of them. Finally, I painted the shoulderpads black and red, but haven't highlighted them yet.

Still to come- Painting the hand and staff which are not attached, paint the backpack and attach it, and paint the ropes and pouch designs which still need attention. I hope you all like my work so far! I've spent a lot of time on it so far, and I think it is my best looking model yet.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Oi! Wot's all dis den? Some sod is sayin' dere is such a fing as enuff Shakespeare? WAAAAUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I like it! The silver turned out a lot better, IMO. Mad props, dude. Mad props.

Krisken

Krisken

I know I said I'd try to get it done today or tomorrow, but things came up where it's going to take longer. Right now I'm shooting for Sunday night.

Saturday night I'll be having some games with a 1,500 Epidemius list (all Nurgle), so the battle reports coming from those should be fun! (A whole lot of 'he shot me with 30 shots, I lost one guy' kind of comments)

My list will be Epidemius, 3 Nurgle Daemon Princes (ok, one is painted nurgle, I'm faking the other two as nurgle), a Great Unclean One, 16 Nurglings, and 20 Plaguebearers. I can't wait to write up how it goes!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I know I said I'd try to get it done today or tomorrow, but things came up where it's going to take longer. Right now I'm shooting for Sunday night.

Saturday night I'll be having some games with a 1,500 Epidemius list (all Nurgle), so the battle reports coming from those should be fun! (A whole lot of 'he shot me with 30 shots, I lost one guy' kind of comments)

My list will be Epidemius, 3 Nurgle Daemon Princes (ok, one is painted nurgle, I'm faking the other two as nurgle), a Great Unclean One, 16 Nurglings, and 20 Plaguebearers. I can't wait to write up how it goes!

Mother of God.... And with Epidemius' special rule... Oh Christ... that's just WRONG

Baerdog

Baerdog

Needs more nurglings.

Krisken

Krisken

That's the idea Officer_Charon! The weaknesses of the list is relying on Epidemius and the waves of Daemons, which means I have to hope each game the list of my choosing appears. While the models are super tough, they are generally slow (except the winged Daemon Princes). The only things I have that can take on anything with an armor value are the Monstrous Creatures (the Daemon Princes and the Great Unclean One). What's worse, they are also the models which need to knock up the kill count to make Epidemius worthwhile.

It's a tough choice, overall. I'm hoping to gain a lot of experience this weekend with this list.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

For non-Warhammer players, what's Epidemius's special rule?

Krisken

Krisken

Ah, right! Epidemius has a special rule which is called the Tally. Models killed by followers of Nurgle count toward the tally when Epidemius is on the board. 1-4 No effect, 5-9 Plagueswords (the weapon Plaguebearers use) wound on 3+, 10-14 all Followers of Nurgle (everything in my list) wound on 2+, 15-19 anything with Feel no Pain special rule (Plaguebearers Epidemius, Great Unclean One) gets a 3+ to ignore wounds (instead of 4+, and at 20 enemies get no armor saves from my entire army.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Sounds gimmicky.

Krisken

Krisken

It is, but after the last game I played where not a single model of mine died and I killed all of my opponents models, I figure a fun list is better to bring along than the list I brought last time.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I like that you're willing to change things up, so as to keep things fun at your FLGS. There's always that ONE player at tournaments who Doesn't Get It. I'm glad that you're not That Guy.

Krisken

Krisken

Oh, absolutely. I fully accept that games should at least be close to be fun and memorable. I can talk all day about tabling my opponent, but it doesn't do much for group morale when you make playing seem pointless on your first go with an opponent!

I look forward to bringing the army out and testing it out. There are so many units in the Daemon codex it would be a shame to not try them all!

Right now I'd like to get some Seekers or Fiends. I hear they perform well and have a conversion idea in mind. I need to rais some funds for the parts though. 1 box of Daemonettes and some goblin spider rider spiders and I'll have Drider like models to use as Fiends :) I'm thinking if I finish this Shadowseer I can probably get a decent amount for it. Then i can get the parts for that conversion.

::Sigh::

Krisken

Krisken

Finished everything but the backpack, which is missing somewhere in the wilds of the basement. I'm going to do a hard search for it today or tomorrow, but no promises in finding it.

Overall, very pleased with the end result. I may go back to the other Harlequins I already painted and do some touch ups. We'll see!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Damn man... your painting skills make my best models look like piles of crap lol.

Necronic

Necronic

Quick question, do you dip? I've started painting again someone seriously and I still do everything the old fashioned way: drybrush and inks, but pretty much everyone at the store I paint at dips. For people not in the know, dipping is where you basically paint by numbers without any highlights and then just dip the enire model into an ink like substance (but wayyyyy stickier) which adds all of the highlights in one fell swoop. It looks surprisingly good.

Something about it doesn't sit right with me.

Krisken

Krisken

No, though I have used washes. I used a brown ink wash to darken the golds on that model. Generally though I start off with dark colors and lighten it up as needed.

Thanks Azurephoenix! I've been at this for 9 years, so every once in a while I really try to step up my game in the paint department.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I've been at it longer than you and I still suck ;).

I'll have to post some pictures of my better things so you can laugh at them :D

Krisken

Krisken

Well, keep in mind I spent roughly 30 hours painting that Shadowseer :)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I totally stink at highlighting and blending... which is probably why my stuff doesn't look as good.

By the way... your skull tower is very cool.

wana10

Quick question, do you dip? I've started painting again someone seriously and I still do everything the old fashioned way: drybrush and inks, but pretty much everyone at the store I paint at dips. For people not in the know, dipping is where you basically paint by numbers without any highlights and then just dip the enire model into an ink like substance (but wayyyyy stickier) which adds all of the highlights in one fell swoop. It looks surprisingly good.

Something about it doesn't sit right with me.
i dip for the rank and file. makes them go by a bit quicker.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Alright, time to submit you to the horror of my miniatures!

First up, some Zoanthropes from my woefully unfinished Tyranid army:

Next up, a random Terminator from my Terminator Assault Squad:

Lastly, a miniature with a few basic conversions to act as my Librarian when I need him:

Krisken

Krisken

I totally dig the Zoanthropes. I find Space marines a pain in the rump to paint, myself. Nicely done.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Nice effects on the Zoeys, Azure. Your Spess Marines look pretty sweet, too, although I would suggest a darker blue to act as the extreme highlight there... it comes off as looking all "Out of nowhere, fucking SAPPHIRE"... Dig the lightning effects on your librarian's force weapon.

Krisken: Space Marines are a pain to paint? This coming from a man who free-hands his Harlequins? WTF...

Krisken

Krisken

What can I say? I'm a mystery wrapped in... ah, I just am no good at highlighting the things. Not sure why.

Necronic

Necronic

I really like the Zoanthropes. They look verrrrry nice.

The space marines look good, I particularly like the details on the sword. The only unhelpful suggestions I would have is that I am not sure I like that color scheme as a whole, and in general I avoid using straight white on any models, because it never comes out looking right. White is one of those colors that is very unfavorable to even the slightest of mistakes.

So, question for you better painters (basically all of you). How do you achieve that blending like what I see on the space marine sword?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Glad you guys liked my stuff. The Zonthropes are probably my best work to date... they actually have wet blending and highlights and other stuff that I've failed miserably to do on my Space Marines.

Officer_Charon, Yeah I know that the blue is a stark contrast but I was going more for them looking like their armour was painted that way rather than battle damage/well won armour? It probably stems from the fact that I I'm not very good at painting highlights and I'm loathe to go back and paint like 60 marines and 20 terminators. At least people have stopped mistaken them for Crimson Fists.

Necronic, the sword is super simple. Base coat of black, and then two greens finished with white. I didn't even mix colours or wet blend these things. Surprisingly it turned out quite well... but I think it may have been a fluke. Also, the lightning on the librarian's armour sucks and I'm going to paint over it when I get time. I like my colour scheme though so nyah nyah ;).

Krisken

Krisken

So right now I'm remaking my Chaos Dragon (the yellow and blue chaos dragon from page... 1 or 2, don't remember). Right now it is in a very basic blue color which is about to take a second ink wash, this time purple. This should be interesting, to say the least! I'm really looking forward to getting this model repainted and ready to go. I wanted a Fateweaver model to use (or a second Lord of Change). Tomorrow I'll have a lot of time to work on this and see what I get finished. :)

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, been a while. This is how the Chaos Dragon I painted in the yellow and blue scales is turning out so far-

Long way to go yet, but I like how it looks so far!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

So, question for you better painters (basically all of you). How do you achieve that blending like what I see on the space marine sword?
Necronic, I found this little tutorial for you on Dakkadakka... it's got pictures and shows how to do a much better lightning effect on a sword than I did.
DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40K Forums - Space marine power weapons: LIGHTNING STYLE

That Chaos dragon is looking fine Krisken :)

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, slight update. These are the newest pictures of the Chaos Dragon so far. Lots to go with highlights and suck, so don't be surprised it some bits become brighter or change a bit. I'm also currently looking into how I should design the 2 showing pages of the book on the staff.

Thanks for looking :)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Seeing your skill with brushes, I think you may have a look at the Voynich Manuscript (especially the astronomical pages, with their geometrical drawings) for inspiration.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/68r.jpg

Voynich manuscript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wana10

looks good krisken! as for the pages either something like silver jelly's suggestion or something like this would look good

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

You may also copy some pages of one of those books at the beginning of disney stories but have them look old, damaged and blood stained (kinda like the picture above). That may be funny and still look good!

(Of curse, the first zombie I ever assembled and painted was an undead superman, I love doing this kind of stuff but it doesn't mean you do :p)

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, fantastic suggestions fellas! I'll probably use a mixture of the Voynich manuscript (which has fantastic script) and the symbols and blood pattern of wana's suggestion. You two have been invaluable to me. I can't thank you two enough! This will work wonders on helping me get the right colors I need for this to look authentic.

wana10

(Of curse, the first zombie I ever assembled and painted was an undead superman, I love doing this kind of stuff but it doesn't mean you do :p)
the games-workshop zombie box comes with a few torsos wearing capes...i was gonna do the same thing!:D

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, most recent pictures of the Chaos Dragon :)

I hope ya'll like it!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Voynich star maps! Very nice looking!

Baerdog

Baerdog

That looks amazing! I love the detail on the book and how you painted the scales and other gribbly bits on the dragon itself.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks fellas. :) The pictures turned out kinda blurry, but for the most part that is how it looks right now. I've been thinking of adding highlights here and there and I might do that yet, but for the most part this is how it will look when finished.

Thanks again for the compliments :D

wana10

sheeeeeeeeeeeet
that looks awesome krisken.
/me would be honored to be slaughtered horribly by that daemon

Necronic

Necronic

Seeing your skill with brushes, I think you may have a look at the Voynich Manuscript (especially the astronomical pages, with their geometrical drawings) for inspiration.

Thank you very much for reminding me of that. Now I will sit and study it for hours on end. AGAIN.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Thank you very much for reminding me of that. Now I will sit and study it for hours on end. AGAIN.[/QUOTE]

Be sure to share what you find out ;P

Krisken

Krisken

No pictures yet, but currently in the process of building a Chaos Reaver Titan. Once it is built and ready to be painted I'll toss up some pictures. Should be a week yet.

Necronic

Necronic

Have you ever taken commissions? The shop here in Houston, Asgard games, takes them and their painting isn't even 1/2 what yours is. You could make some serious scratch. I know one guy at the store there paid a couple thousand dollars to have one model painted (granted this was by someone on a golden demon finalist level, although I'm not convinced you are far from that)

Krisken

Krisken

I've certainly thought of it. I'd much rather do single models than armies. It's really tricky though. I don't want to feel like I have to do things a certain way and I love the freedom of trying new things. Most people tend to have a very specific idea of how something should look and when you are commissioned, you are pigeon-holed into doing it the way they want (obviously). Pleasing the customer becomes more important than pleasing myself.

I'm sure I could be convinced if people asked, though. Money talks, and all that ;)

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, it's been a while!

Ok, a bit of a smallish update. I've been working on scratch building a Reaver Titan. I'm thinking it will be painted in Slaanesh colors since my army is decidedly lacking in Slaanesh themes.

So, here is what I have so far...

This will make up the feet. I have two of these, and the legs will come down from the waist area and connect to the feet here. It is one of the deviations from the original plans.

This is the body and arms all built. I still need to pick up some more black truck bed liner to give it another once over and get the spots I missed, but for the most part this is how it will look. There is a lot to go yet, so stay tuned to updates!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dude! ED-209 is a Reaver Titan!

Krisken

Krisken

LOL, certainly looks like it from these pictures! Hopefully it doesn't look too much like something out of Robocop. :D

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Why not... it's not like anything in Warhammer has ever been taken from pop culture (koffkoffTYRANIDSkoff)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Why not... it's not like anything in Warhammer has ever been taken from pop culture (koffkoffEVERYTHINGkoff)
fixed

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, I have an update :)

Here is an image I just took of the Titan so far. As you can see, it is rather big. The Dr. Pepper can makes a good size comparison to get an idea on just how big this thing is.

The head would be attached, but I greenstuffed some exposed areas to create windowed areas for the drivers to look out. Let me know what you think so far!

Denbrought

Denbrought

Shaping up to be lovely, can't wait to see the finished piece :D

Krisken

Krisken

Well, I certainly have a long way to go until it is finished. As I said the other day, I want to spend at least a week creating additional pieces to add to the titan to decorate it. Even the missile launcher on the top will have two missiles shooting out of it and smoke (read- cotton) to highlight it.

Baerdog

Baerdog

That's shaping up to look pretty dang awesome.

Krisken

Krisken

Just wait until you see the head. I am priming it now and will paint it black. Then I'll attach it. Trust me, the head is pretty epic.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

It looks like it has great potential so far. I'm not sold on the tracked feet... but I really like where the rest of this Titan is going.

Krisken

Krisken

I've been thinking about that Azure. I think what I'm going to do is attach stabilizers to them which can be retracted. I'll just have them down for the shooting. That's how I'm leaning, anyways.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, I got the head glued on...

That is my quick update :D

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I like that the head is a heavily modified falcon lol.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Azurephoenix :)

I'm thinking right now I may have to built a snout like thing to put on the falcon. As it stands now, the falcon looks super thin from the side and needs some depth. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I'm thinking right now I may have to built a snout like thing to put on the falcon. As it stands now, the falcon looks super thin from the side and needs some depth. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Idea: give him "mouth" or "facial tentacles" and it will become an enormous mechanical tentacle monster.
Six tentacles, maybe, following Slaneesh number (according to wikipedia, I have a ver basic knowledge of Warhammer lore)

Dunno, that's all I've got. Or make the snout kinda phallic.

Krisken

Krisken

Idea: give him "mouth" or "facial tentacles" and it will become an enormous mechanical tentacle monster.
Six tentacles, maybe, following Slaneesh number (according to wikipedia, I have a ver basic knowledge of Warhammer lore)

Dunno, that's all I've got. Or make the snout kinda phallic.[/QUOTE]
I love the tentacles idea! I'm going to have to come up with some ideas on how to create those!

Krisken

Krisken

New images :)

Changes I made include the snout and extending the head back to give it more substance. Tomorrow I'll add some spikes I've been making for the titan.

Krisken

Krisken

I think I'm going to try to take 2 pictures a day to show the progression from rollerskating titan to finished product :D

It's hard to tell what I added in some of the pictures.

I added spikes to the waste, arm, and shoulder areas, as well as tubing from the head piece to the body area. I also added some panels to the feet, but I plan on adding quite a bit more to that. You'll just have to wait and see what I have cooking up :D

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, today I created some feets sections to remove some of the criticisms involving them. Honestly, I was planning on adding some width to some of it, but I am more pleased with the results so far than I expected to be. :D

Other than the one side's leg shield being a little lower than I like, I like how they look. I plan on adding a set of claw feet talons (like on the 'toes' I created) so all of the extensions look like claws. Should be interesting when finished!

Krisken

Krisken

Hi all! I'm sure it seems like I haven't been doing anything these past weeks, but nothing could be further from the truth. I decided that since I wanted to play Fiends of Slaanesh but couldn't afford the actual models (which are kinda expensive), I'd get some Daemonettes, cut off the top halves, and attach them to spiders. Here is the results...

So that is how they look. Let me know what you think about them!

Baerdog

Baerdog

I like dem spider bitches.

Krisken

Krisken

I can't wait to have them skittering across the battlefield at people :D

Krisken

Krisken

Small update on the titan. There have been a few setbacks, such as pieces dropping or the whole waist coming apart, but for the most part it has been smooth sailing.

I've begun the painting process on the lower portion of the titan. The plan is to go with dark blue as the main color and then do highlights as needed. The trim is painted with varying degrees of browns which will culminate in bright yellows as highlights. This process has been very time consuming, so it's very hard to gauge just how long this will take to complete.

Hopefully I can finish the paint job to my satisfaction by the end of the year. Four months doesn't seem long enough, though!

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, new project so I don't go crazy with the titan. I've been planning on doing a few of these for a while, but never got around to it.

This is the beginning of a Blight Drone. I'm hoping to have it completely built tomorrow night and then paint it in a day or so. It should be relatively easy to paint up and finish. To finish it up I need to add cannons to the front area, an eye piece of sorts, and some wires and glue to give it that plague style.

Krisken

Krisken

Newest update to the Blight Drone :)

I'm still debating what color to make the fleshy bits of the Drone. Should I make it greyish with white highlights and redish in the creases? or come up with another idea?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Make them look like bacon!

zero

Why bother with fake chaos books when we have the real deal right here?

Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks for the posts guys :)

@SilverJelly- Flying bacon, eh? I can imagine the games now "They're so delicious looking, but so deadly!"

@zero- Initially I tried using those as a basis for the Fateweaver book, but even I can't paint lines that small! I had to go over my first 3 attempts and eventually decided on trying my own design.

zero

Thanks for the posts guys :)
@zero- Initially I tried using those as a basis for the Fateweaver book, but even I can't paint lines that small! I had to go over my first 3 attempts and eventually decided on trying my own design.
Duh, not only I'm two pages late, but I realize now SilverJelly had beaten me to it!

I'm a bit rusty at that posting thing... :(

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, finished one Blight Drone. I am mostly pleased with how ti turned out. I think the fleshy bits could use some work, but for now i think it will do.

Enjoy! :)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I dig it! Especially the patina effects... the fleshy bits do look off, though... maybe more meat, less mold?

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Charon. I'm thinking that the flesh looks questionable because it doesn't have enough imperfections. I'm thinking of adding some scoring to the flesh and then make bleeding wound types of areas. Right now it is to.. uniform.

Baerdog

Baerdog

I'm gonna agree with Charon. The flesh looks unfinished, like you just base coated the milliput and forgot to get back to it. The patina does look good though.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

Wow, Krisken, these are seriously awesome! I am in awe of your detailing skills, especially the textures. I did some Dragonlance miniatures many moons ago and it took me forever just to do a few of them (with nowhere near this level of detail!).

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Sara! Honestly, it takes me a really long time to do a single piece as detailed as the Shadowseer. While I am at the festival I began another of the Harlequin models and hope to be finished with that before the next weekend. Seven days is a long time to paint one model! Eventually anyone can paint as well as I do. It just takes patience, time, and a steady hand.

Ah, the good 'ole D&D models! I remember having a couple from when i was just starting roleplaying in middle school. I had no idea what to do with them. Now I wish I still had them.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Grarg... Sorted through my old supplies, and then bought swanky new brushes, some plastic glue, and some Ork Boyz... and found a local GW.

It's happening... like before.

Of course, nothing I do will be as incredibly impressive as the work Krisken puts out, but I'm back off the wagon.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

@Escushion: Excellent.... EXCELLENT!

At some point, I AM going to sit down with a sheet and a camera and snap off some shots of my meager collection... it'll be interesting to revisit my Space Marines: I haven't touched that army in two years...

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I was just cleaning up stuff in my basement and found an entire box full of shrink wrapped warhammer 40k stuff that I haven't even opened which I had completely forgot about...

It was like Christmas! :)

Krisken

Krisken

A friend of mine has 5 Eldar Rangers and a Wave Serpent sitting in his basement he said I can have. That should go a long way to doing some damage!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm assuming this is an all-purpose, everybody's models thread since Necrotic and a couple others have posted pics, so I'll post this here. Though I'm gonna be painting a lot, so I may end up starting my own thread eventually so as not to swamp this one with orks.

First painted model in nearly three years is better than the old ones now that I know how to paint.

Started off as the guy on the left.

And then...

I'm most proud of how the chainsword turned out. My color scheme and some of the bits I'll be using for customizing my eventual Deff Dread, Big Mekboy, and others is to make this a steampunk bunch of orks, and I think I got that here.

Julie helped immensely in color advice when we went to the crafts store for paints, and I am immensely fortunate that a friend got me this awesome camera for Christmas in '08.

Well, that's one down, 52 to go...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

De Steam Boyz iz gunna clobba all da udder boyz, cuz dey's da punkiest!

Krisken

Krisken

It's been a long time since I posted in here!

Because I am a poor person, I can't afford the new Bloodcrusher models. Until I can, I decided to use skeleton horses and bloodletters I had lying around but not using and create my own. You'll see one actual Bloodcrusher model, which I use for the Champion. The purple swords are the musicians, the blue swords the regular bloodcrushers, and the green for Icon bearers.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Didn't know you could have multiple musicians.

They look good, and that's a good use of spare bitz. The Daemons army really lends itself to creative modeling.

Krisken

Krisken

No, just one musician, but two units. Each unit is made up of 4 models, 1 regular Bloodcrusher, 1 Musician, 1 Icon bearer, and one Champion. A total of 8 Bloodcrushers is what I use.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, minor update. I created these using Sculpey, wire, plastic spider legs, and milliput epoxy. I'm not much of a sculptor, so I am pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. I'm thinking of getting ambitious and trying to do some actual sculpting and practicing some larger daemons (Nurgle seems the easiest to scratch build without experience).

Anyways, here is what I have made for Beasts of Nurgle.

Hope you like them :)

Baerdog

Baerdog

Those look much much better than the pile of hot glue ones for sure. I like them.

Edit: Although I do kinda miss the googly eyes.

Jiarn

Can't say those undead/daemon figures go well with that "plant life" stand, but otherwise, amazing work.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Baer! I'll probably keep the googly eyed glue piles to use as objective markers until I actually make some (Hm, I should do that now since I'm not doing anything).

Thanks Jiam! Initially I had a snow base and found it too boring. I thought about switching to a lava base, but since our group was usually on green felt for most of our games, I felt the Daemonic incursion on other worlds was a better theme for them than to try to come up with daemonic themed ground. I'm just not that clever. ;)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

googly eyed glue piles
Have we seen those?

Krisken

Krisken

So in December I'll be participating in a large scale Apocalypse battle. My army alone will have roughly 20,000 points in Daemons and Chaos Marine super heavy choices. I'm going to try to take some pictures of the event so people can see the insane number of models which will litter the board. :)

Edit: The list

Ok, here is the list of things I am planning to bring to the big Apocalypse game...

Daemon Host of the Forge, total 3 Soul Grinders with Phlegm
6 Tzeentch Daemon Princes, Bolt, Gaze, Breath
All 4 Daemon Lords
3 units 20 Plaguebearers (Each with Icon)
1 unit 16 Plaguebearers w/ Epidemius (Icon)
5 Daemonettes
Fateweaver
Blue Scribes
Blight Drone Infestation (9 Drones)
Nurgle Plague Tower
Silver Tower of Tzeentch
Khorne Tower of Skulls
Warhound Titan
12 units of 9 Nurglings
1 unit 5 Nurglings
2 units 3 Flamers
1 unit 4 Flamers
3 Heralds of Tzeentch on Chariot, MoS, Bolt,
10 units 6 Flamers
Chaos Reaver Titan
3 units 5 Fiends of Slaanesh (with upgrade)
1 unit 6 Beasts of Nurgle (with upgrade)
Formation Uraka's Head Hunters (2 units 8 Bloodletters, Uraka, Herald of Khorne)
8 Bloodcrushers, full command
Giant Chaos Spawn
10 Heralds Of Nurgle (with Breath)
5 Flesh Hounds of Khorne w/Karanak

20,000 points! This should be pretty epic :D

Krisken

Krisken

Now that I look back through the thread, it amazes me just how much stuff I've created/painted in the last year. All the way back to page 2!!

4 days until the Apocalypse game begins. Sometime this week I'm going to spread the entire army on the floor and take pictures to give a sense of everything I'm bringing. It should be an insane number of stuff.

Krisken

Krisken

That sometime is now. I think the forum now resizes pictures to fit the screen, so hopefully it won't cause the page to explode when i post this picture.

And the army boxed up and pretty much ready to go...

Two days until the big game. I'll be taking pictures (hopefully not grainy and terrible) the whole time and hopefully I'll be able to do a battle report. Looks like each side has roughly 33,000 points.

Krisken

Krisken

Hm, not impressed, I see.

Well, lets try this-

I painted this in about 25 minutes. I think it really adds to the visual appearance of the Titan, and I plan on doing this type of thing all over the blue areas.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

OK, that's pretty boss.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That design is damn impressive.

The amount of models is impressive as a whole, but I think the reason you're not getting as much attention with the big group shot is BECAUSE it's a big group shot. Close-up models, we can see the detail in the design and the paint, whereas in a wide shot we're getting a fuzzy, distant image of these tiny things, and can only really get a view of the big ones. It's cool to see the whole army you've put so much work into, but the close-ups are gonna floor people more than the wide shot.

Personally, Apocalypse isn't a goal of mine. The GW books and other gamers I know consider reaching that point value their big goal, but I'm more about making excellent armies at set points values. Still, I can imagine how cool it must be to see that swarm of models take the table. You've done a lot of excellent work, Krisken.

Krisken

Krisken

I can understand that, escushion. I figured since everything in that wide shot has already had the close up pictures taken and available in this very thread, i saw no need to retake those pictures. The wide shot is more for a "Wow, that is a ton of stuff!"

Initially I never dreamed I would be playing huge Apocalypse games. It isn't even something I could do more than twice a year, especially since it takes a whole weekend to play the game and after 8 hours of playing the head aches usually start kicking in (which while writing this reminded me to put down 'Advil' in the list). As time went on and I started completing the army as a whole, i discovered I wanted to have some of the larger models in case i ever did get to play large scale games.

Overall, it was an excuse to dive into an aspect of the hobby I've never been very good at- scratch building. I've had successes, I've had failures, but overall I've had a blast creating new things from nothing for almost no investment.

If anyone is interested in a battle report of the Apocalypse game, I'll be taking a ton of notes and pictures during the game to document the event. No matter who wins, it will be a blast to see so many tanks and infantrymen on one table! I hope you all will be interested enough to read it!

Edit: I forgot to mention- if you right click the picture and choose copy image link, you can past that into your browser window. The image is much larger than appears here, and you can zoom in on the models you are interested in seeing up close (still a little fuzzy, but discernible).

Espy

Espy

Did you mean to close this thread?

Stuff looks amazing as always man. I have no understanding of Warhammer but... I'm still impressed by the skill this takes.

Krisken

Krisken

Huh, that is really strange. I didn't double click or lock the thread, so it is sorta weird it locked up. I'll re-open it so it isn't an issue.

Thanks, Espy!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Pimp my Titan?

Krisken

Krisken

Darn it! Now that's all I'm going to be thinking of while i am painting on the Titan!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I wish I could come up with an adequate "Yo dawg" joke XD

Math242

Math242

i am floored by the sheer size AND design of your army. This is awesome

So will everybody in those apocalypse games bring huge ass titan models and stuff?

Man, you better take pictures !

Krisken

Krisken

I believe the other side has 1 titan, but has 2 companies of Baneblades (that's 6) and a few other super heavies.

I have the camera already placed with the models to be taken to the game. Almost everything is boxed and ready to go, and I will try to take notes on what everyone is fielding. May take a few days to disseminate all the images and write the report!

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, tried another image on the Titan, this time on the other leg.

Not thrilled with the mouth area up at the top, but it isn't terrible. I'm incredibly nervous about going overboard I tend not to go far enough.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's pretty cool. I think the mouths look fine.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Escushion! I'm sure I'll add more to it as I get ideas.

In the mean time, I decided I needed some Chaos Space Marine elements for the Apoc games I've been playing lately. Since I'd be playing a traitor legion (Death Guard), I decided I needed a couple Land Raiders. Since the MKIII version looks so modern, I decided an earlier design would make more sense.

It is a work in progress, for certain. I'll update as I complete it though.

Krisken

Krisken

Spent a lot of today adding various bits. Side weapons (home made Lascannons, heavy bolter on the top, wheel rivets).

Krisken

Krisken

Added a couple things. This just needs a couple Nurgle pieces and it will be ready to paint.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Mekboy sez:

Needs moar rivvitz! WAAAGH!!!

Krisken

Krisken

Hehe, if I can find my mini hole punch, you bet there will be more rivets. Especially around the Las Cannon weapon bits and certain other areas.

I estimated I would have them ready for priming tomorrow, but being sick has taken some oomph out of my building. I think I can get them done by x-mas eve, but it will be rough.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, started painting one of the tanks...

I know I have a lot of work to do yet on it, but so far it is looking pretty good, I think.

Baerdog

Baerdog

It looks a lot better with the undercoat on.

Krisken

Krisken

I agree. I love teh Death Guard colors and think that this brownish green is perfect. I am a little concerned with the trim when i start, which tends to be a darker brown color. We'll see when i finally get that far!

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, new update with tank images. I still have a lot to do, but the tank treads are highlighted a bit and did some detail work.

tegid

tegid

That tank looks pretty awesome already.

Krisken

Krisken

Heh, sorry for the late reply tegid. Thanks! I still have to add spiky bits to indicate it is Chaos and not one of the pansy Emperor loving factions. :D

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Heh, sorry for the late reply tegid. Thanks! I still have to add spiky bits to indicate it is Chaos and not one of the pansy Emperor loving factions. :D
Bite your tongue, foul servant of the Ruinous Powers! Repent, and the Emperor's Mercy may yet be your final boon!

Ahem. Looking pretty good there. Much as I dislike the older models, I like what you're doing with it. Fantastic hand with the brush, too!

Krisken

Krisken

Hey, I'll repent, as soon as the Emperor can leave his chair under his own power. Oh wait, that's right, he's a vegetable.

If I had more spiky tank bits, I'd add them, but as it is this is what I have left. I'll have to put a request in with friends and see if they have extra bits lying around.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Looking good so far Krisken. I wish I had the time you have to devote to my own horde of grey plastic warhammer 40k figures lol.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Azurephoenix! Honestly, I wish I didn't have this much time :)

So here is a Terminator I've been working on

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I love Terminators. That's a great one.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks escushion. I wanted to get one finished so I could show it off a little. Still have the other 4 Terminators to finish the highlights and add a few other colors. I'll be sure to post them all when i get them finished.

wana10

the layered browns on the trimming look fantastic!

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks for the comment wana! I'm thinking the Terminators need another highlight on the brown yet, perhaps a straight shot of bleached bone style, used very sparingly. We'll see!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Yeah, that termie is great, the brown makes for a striking contrast with the green.

The black horn seems a little... I don't know... lacking, somehow? I see where you did the gradual highlighting on it, and the coloring itself looks great, but... It just doesn't line up with the rest of the colors? Maybe?

Krisken

Krisken

I was attempting to keep the black highlight areas in keeping with the Land Raider and the treads. When I finish I'll have them alongside the Land Raider in the next picture. I think the dark horns will make more sense then. If it still seems too dark, I may lighten it a bit yet.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Ahh! When you put it like that, I can see it now.

You don't have to justify it to me, brah. It's your fantastic artwork - if I can't grasp your concept, that's MY problem. *grins*

Krisken

Krisken

Oh no, I'll happily take the criticisms! There are areas on these i wish I had worked harder at, and I see a lot of work yet if I want to blend the brown areas better.

Since I'm using them for a formation, I'm thinking of making cloaks for two of them and using them as Terminator Lords. Those models are bleeding expensive, and I only need 3 Termies and 4 Lords/ Sorcerers. We shall see.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I agree about the horns. The rest of the model looks very nice, but the horns seem a little flat. Maybe you could highlight them a little more or go for something along this lines? http://www.loadedshopper.com/entry_images/0308/21/book_ends.jpg

Of course, it may also be that we are seeing very close closeups of miniatures, wich may very well mean it looks perfectly fine in real size/life, especially alongside the Land Rider (wich I think looks very cool!)

Krisken

Krisken

Hm, I could lighten it a bit toward the beginning of the husks a bit. We'll see what I'm deciding when I get them mostly done.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, here they are. I think this is what they will look like overall. I may do some little detail work yet that no one will really notice but me yet, but this is the army color scheme I'll be sticking with.

To get some good images of individual models, I will have to build another light box to diffuse the light for better close up images.

As always, comments/criticisms welcome!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Lovely stuff!

tegid

tegid

I love the color scheme and the highlitghts, not much criticism right now.

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, 2 weeks since I added something! I must be slipping.

Anyways, I've been working on a Terminator Lord and to take a break from painting the same color scheme over and over again, the special character Abaddon the Despoiler. Here are some WIP pictures of Abaddon.

So that is what I've been working on for the last few days. The gold highlights are monstrously time consuming (and much brighter IRL than the images would lead one to believe). I think I can finish the gold highlights by the end of the week and then I can do some interesting stuff with the armor plating and hoses and such. The head I will paint separately and last to prevent mistakes and allow for ease of painting.

Hope ya like 'em!

Baerdog

Baerdog

Looks good so far. I like the look of the NMM gold and cant wait to see it on the rest of the model.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Baer! It feels like the technique takes forever, but it's usually easier to work the nmm than rely so heavily on gold paint (which spreads terribly).

Krisken

Krisken

Hm. I'm contemplating using a watered down brown ink to bring the darker areas more to the background and make the lighter areas stand out. I only fear making matters worse and causing a mess of it. I suppose we shall see!

Baerdog

Baerdog

Well if the worst happens...Ctrl-Z!

Krisken

Krisken

LOL, that would be a useful real world command!

wana10

if only if only
/me would abuse ctrl+z so hard...
abaddon's looking great, if maybe a little headless... ;)
for a model that's been around for over a decade now it still looks good and fits in with the modern styles of 40k.
(pity he doesn't still get his 2+ save....on 2d6!)

Krisken

Krisken

Haha, true that wana! It's still a great model. I decided the head would be in the way if I tried to glue it on before finishing the model up, so it will be added after it is painted and the rest of the model is finished.

Well, the inking was an epic failure, so I've spent most of the day correcting my horrid mistakes. I even tried to paint the sword, and that ended in failure also, so now I'm repainting the sword black and starting over. I think I'll paint it however i want, probably a purple of some sort.

Krisken

Krisken

Now I'm rolling!

Finished the shoulder pads, painted the blade of the sword, painted the claw, and painted the silver bits on the gun and bullets, in addition to the little tusk sticking out of the claw hand.

I think the model is really coming together nicely!

Baerdog

Baerdog

Looking good man. I really like the highlighting on the screaming faces in his sword.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, this is so utterly cool I have to share it...

It's a molding compound which becomes malleable when placed in hot water. Remove the molding compound, put it on whatever you want to duplicate, and then wait for it to harden. Add your 2 part epoxy, which won't stick, and wait for it to harden. Wallah! Duplicate part! Now that you are done with the mold, put it back in the water and get it ready for the next project.

drifter

drifter

Is that polycaprolactone? Just wondering if it's any different than Shapelock, Instamorph, etc.

Krisken

Krisken

It seems like it's about the same stuff. I guess it's just new to me :D

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, so while I thought I'd take much longer for this model, it appears I flew through the final steps.

Well, I hope everyone likes it. There are places here and there I'd like to fix up, but for the most part I think it looks pretty good.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Looks great! A hell of a lot less goofy than the 'eavy Metal version. I like the purple loin cloth. >_>

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I love it.

As always.

Krisken

Krisken

@ Baer- lol, a lot less goofy. I like that.

Once I started painting the purple on the loincloth, it seemed like an obvious choice. It looks remarkable with the gold coloring and adds an element of cohesion with the sword. After that it was natural to add the purple to the tassels, hoses, and the gun hand. I'm very pleased with it myself.

@Silver Jelly- Well, I wouldn't say always! I've had some questionable models I've thought about going back to and touching up, but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the comments fellas! It certainly makes the 30+ hours of painting worth it!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Fantastic job, sir! I like the way his face turned out, too... looks less "MAIMKILLBURN" and more "Just as Planned..."

Krisken

Krisken

I'm a fan of the more nuanced looks than are typically featured on 40K models (especially when it comes to facial features). Well, that and I knew if I tried painting things like the eyeballs I'd make a huge mess of it all!

wana10

now that's a man i'd follow from hell and back i would! well done krisken. the purples really do pull the model together into a nice cohesive whole. i also love the eye peaking out from the shoulder pad.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Too bad his arms are going to fall off... *trollface*

Krisken

Krisken

*confused*
Why are his arms going to fall off? I think I did a good job pinning them!

Thanks wana! I started the purple colors and found they worked so well where I had them I just had to continue the trend.

Don't be surprised if in two weeks I have 2 new scratch built Chaos Predators sitting all shiny on these pages! ;)

Krisken

Krisken

Special preview of the tanks I've been building. Still a little work needed yet, but this is pretty close to how it will look when finished.

Scratch Built Chaos Predator.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Right now, it looks... tronish.

Krisken

Krisken

Hah, can't help that. Before the construction it looked like

Maybe I'll have time today to spray it a bit with primer. It tends to look a bit less ridiculous when it is one color.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Well, I love this cybernetic neon look, but it's not particularly chaotic.

(What material is that sign made of?)

Krisken

Krisken

It is made of a dense polystyrene plastic material. I can get small-ish sheets of it for around $7 for 3, or I can get a really big For Sale sign (which is basically the same thing) for $2.22. It makes great building material and is really easy to work with.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

That tank looks pretty dang good for a scratch build. I can't wait to see it painted up with a few official bits stuck on. Keep it up man!

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Azurephoenix! For some reason, I just can't leave them alone. I spent half of last night filling in the cracks with Milliput (epoxy sculpting putty) on the turrets, added a few more textured areas, created spikes for the front, and even shields for the headlights.

I still want to do more work on the head lights, add some chains and skulls, and some chaos symbols would really bring the model together.

So much to do, so little time!

Krisken

Krisken

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Which Chaos group uses green? I know it's a Nurgle group, but I don't remember which...

Krisken

Krisken

Death Guard use green, but this is a much darker green than it will be when it is done. It will be more the color of the ones on page 10 when it is finished.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What are you going for, armaments wise? I know the Space Marine Predators can use Lascannons, but I can't remember if Chaos can.

Krisken

Krisken

Yes. The side cannons will be Lascannons while I'm keeping the top as an Autocannon. I know it is popular to make them all Lascannons, but I feel that since Chaos doesn't get Power of the Machine Spirit (shoot at multiple targets), it isn't worth spending another 3o points for the Lascannon turret on top.

I took the Lascannon barrels off for painting purposes. When I am finished I will be able to remove them and the top turret to show battle damage during games.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You planning to use all of this stuff in official tournaments or are these home made models illegal for tourney play? If they are, you might as well considering making some Traitor Guard stuff... a Chaos tainted Leman Russ or Baneblade would be pretty bad ass!

Krisken

Krisken

I think the official tournaments require scratch built stuff to be 50% more GW product, so I'll be using these mostly with friends.

At the moment I'm trying to built a Chaos Space Marine legal list as cheaply as I can. To do so, I need to finish these two tanks and a Vindicator to reach the points I would like. After I finish these things, then I may begin some Traitor Legion style stuff such as Earth Shakers, Leman Russ tanks and Baneblades. For now though I have my hands full with this!

GW history shows that they tend to separate the Chaos Daemons and Chaos Space Marines every other edition and then throw them back together again the next edition. In essence, I'm just preparing for the inevitable.

Thanks for all the interest AshburnerX and everyone else! I do love talking about the game and where I am heading with all this. The comments and suggestions go a long way in keeping me interested not just in the hobby, but in expanding my skills in painting and building. Thanks again!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Damn dude... that thing looks so much like a real plastic predator tank it's frightening. Do you have a template that you designed or do you just do it all on the fly? It looks really good with the solid colour applied as well.

Krisken

Krisken

I designed it on-the-fly. I started with an internet picture and worked out from there how big the sides were. After completing 6 pairs of track walls, I added the front, top, and bottom. From that point on it was pretty easy to get stuff I wanted.

The hardest part was probably the top turret. I designed it using graph paper, first starting with the general shape of the top and bottom of the turret. I then added 3 pieces of cardstock between them and then measured the pieces for the angled sides.

Overall, there was a lot of tape, recutting, and gluing involved. The putty helped hide any gaping holes I had made and helped make the model more presentable.

:)

Krisken

Krisken

Was getting burned out painting tanks (Those things are so SSSLLOOOWWW!), so I figured doing a single model might be nice.

I may do some more detail work yet. So far I like the coloring for a Slaanesh Sorcerer. Maybe some glowing eyes might be great.

Krisken

Krisken

Got some more stuff created.

This is my work in progress Chaos Vindicator so far.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm still amazed at how well you emulate the games workshop designs using sheet plastic from scratch.

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, thanks Azurephoenix! I couldn't hope for a higher compliment than that.

I've also been working on Dark Eldar Cold Ones I'm using as Fiends of Slaanesh and painting an Eldar Harlequin whenever the mood strikes me. Don't be surprised when they make their way into the thread!

Krisken

Krisken

Couple new pics. Predator and Vindicator pics.

Predator

Vindicator

Still have a lot of detail work to do, but this is close enough for now. I think I can get away with fielding these in games.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I've never really been partial to the older chassis designs, but with yours? They work out nicely, I think. Looking great, man!

Krisken

Krisken

I appreciate that Officer Charon! I was pushing for the older looks since they are a traitor legion. Seems silly that they'd have a ton of newer looking vehicles.

So I'm been revisiting my Eldar as of late. Been working on these two Harlequins.

To recap on the other Harlequins...

Yes, those have been rebased to match the ones on the top. In a day or so I will take a picture of the entire army so a feel for the army can be appreciated.

drifter

drifter

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this pic was "that dude needs to take it easy with the olestra" :p

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Krisken

Krisken

Who or what is Tali?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Krisken

Krisken

I see. It really does look a little like her.
Added at: 11:03
Oh, and Drifter- yes, I did laugh. :D

Krisken

Krisken

So what the hell have I been doing the last 2 weeks? Why, building a Eldar Revenant Titan, of course!

I'm hoping to have it finished in roughly 4 weeks. I've also decided that it is about time I create a blog for this stuff, so I will be making a site specifically for scratch built 40k modeling. When I have it up and added some content, I'll post the link. Hope some of ya check it out!

Krisken

Krisken

Another update.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are those pre-fabbed limbs or did you make them yourself?

Krisken

Krisken

I made them myself. I used Sculpey, shaped it, then baked it. Then I used Instamold plastic and surrounded the piece. I then poured the resin in small bits to ensure the plastic didn't melt from the 2 part resin. Then I sanded the pieces down. At this point I can cast the legs, feet, arms, and gems at any time very easily.

Long story short, not pre-fabbed. :)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I only asked because they look REALLY nice :)

Krisken

Krisken

Oh, you like my legs? Why thank you! :D

Baerdog

Baerdog

Krisken's got some nice gams.

Krisken

Krisken

Indeed I do, Baer.

Got some arms attached, made a head, some missile pods, and shoulder guards.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Krisken is so cool.

Krisken

Krisken

:oops:

You like me, you really, really like me! :D

Glad you're liking it so far SJ! I admit, there is still an unfathomable amount of work I have to perform before I am happy with the end results and am ready to paint it!

Krisken

Krisken

Have another new image from the Titan. Finished putting on the shoulder jet packs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I STILL think it looks like you carved all those pieces out of wood.

Krisken

Krisken

Yup, I did. I sat in my rocking chair on the porch, chewed on a long piece of straw, and whittled away. Shhhh, don't tell! :D

Baerdog

Baerdog

It's lucky I equipped all my mekboyz with termite launchaz. WAAAGH!!!

Krisken

Krisken

Go go 4++ save for moving!

On a brighter note, I'm hoping to have this finished being built this week so I can start adding some paint. I think that will really bring out the potential!

On yet another note, I'm not sure I like the head. I may instead sculpt a Wraithlord style head instead to replace it. That head has been bothering me for quite a while now.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, decided to change out the head for a new look that more resembles the Wraithlords.

Think it is ready for priming/ painting?

Krisken

Krisken

Slapped some paint on it...

At the feet is a Wraithguard model, just to show height.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I keep looking at the head and seeing this guy:

Krisken

Krisken

:(

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I think it looks pretty damn sharp for a scratch build... I wish I had the free time you do ;)

drifter

drifter

Hey Krisken, did you see PatrThom's link to the Muppet stage scratch build in the Awesome video thread? I thought there was some interesting stuff in there, specifically the use of 3D puffy paint for bas-relief details.

Krisken

Krisken

No, I didn't. I'll go check it out though...

Edit: :Leyla: I'll go slink off now! That is much more impressive, to be sure.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, did some more painting...

So yeah, lots to do yet, but this is basically what it looks like.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, the paint makes it look much better.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

.... BY THE EMPEROR, THE COLORS BURN!

Are you QUITE sure they haven't been consumed by Slaanesh? *chuckles*

Krisken

Krisken

Emper-wha? :D

It shows up much brighter in the image due to the crappy camera I have. Either it will be too bright from the flash, or it will be too dark without it. I'll try to take some images outside when it gets nicer out. I'm sure the model won't seem quite so... bright.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Having seen your painting skills, I have little doubt that you'll make it work, mon ami. *grins*

The model itself looks spectacular!

Krisken

Krisken

I'm still going to be posting end results here, but I thought I would update everyone that I created a website specifically to help people create vehicles and the like for Warhammer 40K.

Scratch Built 40K

I have my introductory post up plus the first part of a tutorial on how to make your own Space Marine Rhino. I hope some of you will stop by and check it out!

Krisken

Krisken

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Already followed.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Ash! I hope the directions I'm giving are easy to understand and follow. If anything seems confusing or out of place, let me know, ok?

I'm thinking of doing 3 updates a week, with 1 being a non-tutorial post. Maybe I'll make it Mon/Wed/Fri schedule.

Krisken

Krisken

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, new post up at the blog site. Not as dry as the tutorials and covers the Skull Tower.

Krisken

Krisken

Six days to vote on what my next project on Scratch Built 40K will be.

wana10

voted!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Same.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Voted.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks for voting guys! Part 4 is up at Scratch Built 40k.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks to everyone who has been checking out the blog posts! I will have some stuff for here soon which doesn't really fit at the blog, so stay tuned. ;)

For now though, Part 5 of the tutorial is up at Scratch Built 40K.

Krisken

Krisken

Hello all you Hot Jumpin Beans (what?)!! Got another Wednesday random blog post for you all. Be sure to check it out at Scratch Built 40K.

Krisken

Krisken

For anyone still paying attention, new post up at Scratch Built 40K

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hey man, your reaching to the choir about their prices. $15 dollars for shipping if the package is worth less than $30?! Fuck that.

Krisken

Krisken

It's pretty ridiculous, and quite frankly, mind boggling. I don't understand what they hope to achieve by pricing Australia and Canada right out of the game. Internet purchases from overseas is already cheaper, and with the price increases it only became more obvious to the players. I just don't see how those two markets will be able to cope with the price gouging.

Consider it gamer solidarity :)

Krisken

Krisken

Here we have the final tutorial piece on the Scratch Built Rhino up at Scratch Built 40K

Also been making Obliterators, which look something like this so far...

There will be more detail (and work on the red to make it less.... bright). Should be interesting when finished!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Niiice... I see some Havoc launchers in there, plenty o' Greenstuff (GS Oblits are best Oblits)... maybe some other goodies I missed?

Krisken

Krisken

You're spot on! I also have the shoulder pads, arms, and the leg from the old metal Daemon Prince model. Each of the hands sticking out are from the chaos sprues.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Nice.... the color scheme puts me in mind of D'Compose from Inhumanoids, which would fit perfectly into your army's fluff...

Krisken

Krisken

I do plan to flesh-tone it a bit more on the skin and do some highlighting on the pale green areas yet. The brownish border has been mutating to a dark green (more in line with Death Guard) and after I receive it this week I will be adding rust effects to the entire army in patches on the metal bits. I simply can't wait to get it!

Thanks for commenting, OC! :)

Krisken

Krisken

New post up at Scratch Built 4ok.

I just want to take the time to say thanks to everyone who has been checking in on the blog. I have a poll up with options on thoughts of the blog, and it is anonymous, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I know the tutorial posts are kinda dry, so I'm trying to find a way to spice them up a bit. Thanks all :)

Krisken

Krisken

And yet another post up at Scratchbuilt 40K. This one has better pictures of the Eldar Revenant Titan and is more light hearted than the instructional posts. :) Thanks for reading, everyone :)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This post was much easier to read.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks, Ash. I'll try to inject a little levity into the tutorial posts to keep people from being bored :)

Krisken

Krisken

New post up at Scratch Built 40k. Fantastic rust effects from just two bottles. Really great stuff!

Teaser image:
100_2768.JPG

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, because I like you guys, here are the images for the finished Blight Drones, Vindicator, and Rhinos. They are very nice.
BlightDrone1.jpg
BlightDrone2.jpg
BlightDrone3.jpg
Rhino01.jpg
Rhino02.jpg
Vindicator1.jpg

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Dang, that rust effect looks pretty incredible dude!

Krisken

Krisken

It really is some great stuff. I used it on 3 blight drones, 2 rhinos, and a vindicator and barely used any of the stuff. It was absolutely worth every penny!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I see the Drones and can't help thinking that's what the Combine would send out their alien slug bosses in... very cool.

Krisken

Krisken

haha, I can see that! I initially wasn't going to cover all the metal bits with the rust stuff, but it just seemed so appropriate when I saw how it looked on the test drone.

Krisken

Krisken

New post up at Scratchbuilt 40k. This is the beginning of the Dreadclaw Tutorial. Let me know what you think!

Krisken

Krisken

Ooftah, this one hurt my brain. Here we go, another tutorial up at Scratch Built 40k!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Now it's starting to look like something...

Krisken

Krisken

You think that's good, wait till the next one! With the bottom half attached and just placing the legs in place, it's really starting to come together.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, another day, another Scratchbuilt 40k post!

Krisken

Krisken

Not sure if anyone is still following, but I have the final tutorial piece up at Scratch Built 40k
Final image of the unpainted model here:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ok, that looks awesome.

Krisken

Krisken

I hope it looks better when it is painted!

Thanks Ashburner. I spent a lot of time this week trying to get this one almost spot on, and I think it looks pretty good myself.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Damn dude... that looks fantastic even unpainted... I bet it will look super badass once it's painted up!

Krisken

Krisken

I got the first coat of spray paint on it. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain I'll take it out and do a light dusting of the lighter greens and tan I use to take some of the dark green out of the coloring. Oh, and of course take pics.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, got images up of the primed model at Scratch Built 40k. I can't wait to paint the trim and add the rust effects!

drifter

drifter

That looks awesome. Reminds me of one of the perils of showing works-in-progress: IT LOOKS SO GOOD DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING YOU'LL RUIN IT :p

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That primer makes it look like you made the thing out of sand. It's very odd.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, I used 3 different sprays to prime it. I started with a dark green, moved on to a light green as a dusting, then went a little heavier dusting with a cream colored spray. I still get the dark green underneath, but the overall color of the model is brighter due to the cream and light green sprays. Now I can highlight the model with dark greens and highlight that with a bright green without losing detail.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, I got the trim painted and added the iron for the rusting effect up at Scratchbuilt 40k. I also included an image of the painting station I built to hold the paints. I think it's kinda neat :D

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks kinda like a spice rack.

Krisken

Krisken

It does, doesn't it? Though I have to admit I would have a hard time finding a spice rack to hold over 144 paint tubes.

Krisken

Krisken

Mostly painted Dreadclaw up at my site. I think this will do nicely.

Krisken

Krisken

New tutorial up detailing how to build fields of razor wire with some dowel rods, window screen, and glue up at Scratch Built 40k.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've always wondered... do these field pieces (like the wire) have any effect on units by/near them? As in, are there rules for them?

Jiarn

Gingerbread 40,000k!

Krisken

Krisken

That would be a yummy battle piece, Jiarn!

Ash, the razor wire field would most likely be counted as dangerous terrain, which requires models moving through to make a test by rolling a 6 sided dice (each). Any 1's and the model takes a wound, normal saves apply. Terrain tends to have some important effects on the game.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Also, depending on the units behind them, they also might bestow a cover save.

Jiarn, that Titan looks..... *puts on sunglasses* ...epic

Krisken

Krisken

Well, it's been over a month, so here it is. Scratchbuilt 40k's first tutorial on the Mk1 Landraider. This has been a long time coming!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Was starting wonder if you gave up ;)

Krisken

Krisken

Just a slight case of burn-out/FF12 addiction. Still playing but collected just about everything possible so not much left to do on it. Plus painting a house, starting a new job, and 3 weddings to attend (and 1 bachelor party) left me with little time for anything else.

I'll take breaks from time to time, but gosh darn it I'll always jump back on the horse!

Krisken

Krisken

Second tutorial post for the Mk1 Land Raider us up at Scratchbuilt 40k. This one is looking much better than the other one I had built ages ago and looks more accurate!

Krisken

Krisken

Whose the big dope who just bought 20 Space Marines and enough of these shoulder pads for all of them? This guy.

This is the color scheme I'm thinking of going with for the army. Any suggestions?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Just go full Angry Marines and add in the frowny faces!

Krisken

Krisken

Haha, cute! I think not, though. Those are yellow with red trim and cuss words and frowns all over 'em. I have my lion theme rip roaring and ready to go (the Space Marine Tac squads already shipped!)

I based these colors off of The Lion Clan from Legends of the Five Rings.

Krisken

Krisken

Forgot to mention, new post up at Scratchbuilt 40k. Post 3 of the Mk 1 Land Raider tutorial.

Slight changes to the color scheme I'm working on.
Pride of the Emperor Tac squad (shoulders will be the lion heads seen earlier)

Pride of the Emperor Captain

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Isn't it more traditional to do the shoulder in red to signify rank?

Krisken

Krisken

Yes, but the shoulder pads are both going to be the lion heads, so I was worried a arm would look silly. Maybe I'll make the helmet red (which is another traditional way to signify rank).

Krisken

Krisken

Post on my hobby progress up at Scratchbuilt 40k talking about the progress I'm making in building my very own Space Marine Chapter, The Emperor's Pride.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

@Ashburner: It really depends on which chapter you go with... each has their own particular method of signifying rank... Ultimately, the Captain is the man with the most fiddly bits on his armor (Unless you're fielding a Chapter Master, in which case...)

Krisken

Krisken

That is the pimpinest Ultramarine I've ever seen.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

That's Marneus "Papa Smurf" Calgar, bitches best know!

Krisken

Krisken

What Calgar knows is damn it feels good to be a gangster.

Krisken

Krisken

Final tutorial post is up. Finally get to see the Land Raider primed and ready for painting.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What colors you planning on doing? The same as your color scheme for your new chapter?

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, that's the route I'm figuring so far. Right now I'm painting a test Marine to make sure I like the colors. Initially the yellow and brown were blending a bit too much, so I made the brown a little more earthen. After I added a khaki trim color for the brown areas the model really started to gel.

When the model is done being painted, I'll post pics for everyone to see.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, quick pictures of the Space marine test so far. I still have some details to flush out but for the most part this is how the model will be designed. I am also planning on painting teeth on the clean shoulder pad to signify the unit they belong to (but may do that last).

I really need a nicer camera!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That almost looks like a desert pattern.

Krisken

Krisken

I was hoping Serengeti considering the Lion theme. :D

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, new post up at Scratchbuilt 40K. It has the color scheme on the model (and I took good pictures so it doesn't look like crap anymore like the above ones).

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dude, I DIG that color scheme... you've found a way to make two similar colors work together well!

The only caveat I would have would be, if you're going for a lion color motif, would be to perhaps darken your khaki... more of a reddish brown (Somewhere between Scorched and Bestial Brown, to use citadel paint scheme, perhaps?)