Kags' Cosplay Thread

I would think Poison Ivy would be the perfect pick for someone just starting out. Her costume is probably one of the easiest to reproduce (depending on what version of her you're cosplaying as), seeing as it's usually just a green one piece bathing suit with matching gloves and boots. It also has enough leeway to get creative with it on top of that.[DOUBLEPOST=1378999883,1378999771][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of which, I'd LOVE to see someone try to reproduce her costume from the Animal Man/Swamp Thing crossover Rotworld:

IMG_0105.jpg

Only positive thing to come out of New 52 :p

Poison Ivy to me is the epitome of sexy. She is a true Femme fatale and it makes her so appealing, she's beauitful, but remains classy. I mean, I'm sure that's not always the case, but to me, she will always be the classiest female villain. She's confident and smart.

I've always been pretty meh about my looks and pretty meh in my confidence. So, when I was introduced to the world of cosplay, I knew exactly who I wanted to emulate. It's weird because I certainly don't want to be Poison Ivy, but she has traits I most definitely want to have. So, my reason for cosplaying as Ivy goes beyond my regular 'I connect with the character, therefore I feel I can do them justice' and stems more from my desire to gain confidence in myself through emulating her. Is that weird? I feel like it's weird.

Regardless, I do feel like it's worked, I no longer doubt myself or my looks. I mean sure I have my bad days, I don't think I'll ever be, you know, 'that girl', but yeah, things are on the right track for me to reamin happy with myself.

But yeah, that is why I picked her.

(Not gonna lie though, my dream of someone describing me as a Femme fatale and gorgeous/classy still stands. SOMEDAY!!)[DOUBLEPOST=1379000062,1378999952][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would think Poison Ivy would be the perfect pick for someone just starting out. Her costume is probably one of the easiest to reproduce (depending on what version of her you're cosplaying as), seeing as it's usually just a green one piece bathing suit with matching gloves and boots. It also has enough leeway to get creative with it on top of that.[DOUBLEPOST=1378999883,1378999771][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of which, I'd LOVE to see someone try to reproduce her costume from the Animal Man/Swamp Thing crossover Rotworld:

View attachment 11755
I totally agree with your statement - her costume is rather simple and great one for people just starting out. That's not, however, my reason for wanting to cosplay her.

Also, ALL THE YES-ES to that costume! I'll add it to my list of possible Ivy outfits. =^^=

why does your friend Raye always look so disinterested? every picture with you two together in cosplay she looks like she would rather be somewhere else!
I personally don't think that's true, she doesn't look uninterested to me. I know she HATES her smile, and she hates smiling for pictures, so that's likely the case. And with her huge bambi eyes, it probably makes her look a little empathetic, but I promise you she's fine.

As an aside, lighting was pretty terrible in that little room. It's all over head lighting, which casts shadows over our eyes, it's not the most flattering thing.

How do you guys feel about super processed pictures? Cause I've been playing around with filters and...I think it's the greatest thing ever, so I'm tempted to repost some pictures I've already posted, but have them be all crazy.

As an aside, lighting was pretty terrible in that little room. It's all over head lighting, which casts shadows over our eyes, it's not the most flattering thing.

How do you guys feel about super processed pictures? Cause I've been playing around with filters and...I think it's the greatest thing ever, so I'm tempted to repost some pictures I've already posted, but have them be all crazy.
Post a few and we'll let you know!

I personally don't think that's true, she doesn't look uninterested to me. I know she HATES her smile, and she hates smiling for pictures, so that's likely the case. And with her huge bambi eyes, it probably makes her look a little empathetic, but I promise you she's fine.
my mistake then...

It's a phase everyone goes through, like when you first discover you can add fruit/nuts to pancakes, or when you learn how to make your own ringtones. It'll pass, but you'll learn a lot. I wonder what @evilmike would say?

--Patrick
I think I'm just bored. When I'm not working on a costume or have any photoshoots planned, I just go back through and look at cosplay pictures and am all 'PLAY WITH ALL THE PHOTOS!!'

I'm sure it won't pass as fast as you lot would like, but I think I'll keep the uploads to a minimum. (Also, nuts in pancakes? Gross! :) )

my mistake then...
Oh, it's okay. I mean, it's hard to know when you only see someone in photo shoot pic's. :)

So, I'm probably never going to get over this, but I look like I'm painted! I think it's pretty stellar.

(These are what I mean by super processed.)

(These are what I mean by super processed.)
When I think "super processed," I think of photos where the skin has been amped up so bright that the eyes & mouth no longer even look like they're part of your face, and your nose is completely gone, or when people apply the HDR filter about 5 times in a row until there are no midtones any longer.

--Patrick

When I think "super processed," I think of photos where the skin has been amped up so bright that the eyes & mouth no longer even look like they're part of your face, and your nose is completely gone, or when people apply the HDR filter about 5 times in a row until there are no midtones any longer.

--Patrick
Agreed. Working with the Levels and adding a little color grading isn't "super processed" it's tweaking. I say, tweak away.

--Patrick
Oh, yeah, no...I don't think I would ever be that bad. As an artist, I like to think I have a better eye than that - I wouldn't let me become inhuman looking.

Agreed. Working with the Levels and adding a little color grading isn't "super processed" it's tweaking. I say, tweak away.
Yay! Thank you for your blessing. I shall now tweak to my hearts content! :)

Hey Kags, I know you're experimenting with filters and all, but I saw the Harley pics you posted on Tumblr today, and I gotta say, I prefer the originals, at least for those ones.

Not to discourage you from playing around with filters of course, I just really dug the photography in those shoot, and feel like the filter detracts from that.

One man's opinion. :)

I think I need to find a happy medium, because I don't like the originals at all, as far as color goes. I find them dull and passable - it's mostly a lighting/location problem.

And as far as those particular Harley pic's go, I specifically wanted 'old world' filter because...it's steampunk, Iwas hoping to keep with the theme. :)

But thank you.

I'm keeping on open mind to all opinions. =^^=

The main things to do is to bring up the blacks a bit, then play a little with warm and cold colors. Those minor tweaks can make a photo pop more.

What program are you using?

The main things to do is to bring up the blacks a bit, then play a little with warm and cold colors. Those minor tweaks can make a photo pop more.

What program are you using?
Are you offering your editing services?? Haha, I'm kidding!

I'm actually not really using anything, just stuff on my phone. I'm realizing how unmotivated I am to upload many photos at a time, so being able to do it from my phone is quite nice. I don't think they're as nice as edited photos via a computer program, or as nice as someone with experience could do. But they make me happy and my sensibilities are rather plain, I think, I mean as far as programs that I use. (I don't like to make waves.) I'll keep trying though and will hopefully get better at it. Thanks for the advice! :heart:

Just booked a photoshoot at a haunted house!! I'm so excited. :)
(I am going to warn you, that photoshoot will be nothing but fan-service and gore - steel yourselves.)

I bought the fabric to make my pattern for my Sally dress. So, Halloween costumes are moving right along and I contacted my photographer today for that photoshoot, so I've got a lot of things coming up. Yay!

I don't think you should even question yourself anymore Kags, every time you produce more photographic evidence of your efforts we all go crazy.

I don't think you should even question yourself anymore Kags, every time you produce more photographic evidence of your efforts we all go crazy.
I suppose. And thank you!

But this is way out of my comfort zone, so we'll see. It sounds fun though and I'm excited I get to spend time with my cos-sister.