Job question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. So, right now, I have a job that I quite like doing. Really! The work itself is fun and rewarding, my colleagues are mostly OK, there's plenty of stressful moments, which I like, and occasionally very calm periods (calm enough to drag out my laptop and play some games and such, if the boss isn't around).
However, first of all, it's an OK pay check, but not great. Secondly, it's quite a bit below my theoretical level - I have to masters, and the job's open from having-finished-high-school. Thirdly, the hours are pretty random. Days, nights and weekends...I don't really mind working those hours, but I only know my schedule 2 or 3 weeks in advance, and even so, there are often last-minute chances. All in all, that's quite horrible for my social life.
Anyway, I started this job with the idea of getting to know the company (which I do by now) and working my way up. Because of the crisis, though, there've been quite a few cuts, and there're already more managers than they know what to do with - and any job below that wouldn't be a move up, but at most a move sideways - which wouldn't make a lot of sense.
However, my boss is quite happy with me, so there may be raises or promotions in the future if I stick around. But I've also had some semi-serious interest from another company. Should I start pursuing other options, go talk to my manager, or just stay put for now and see what's going to happen when the economic climate gets better again?

If you don't mind me throwing in my $0.02, if what the other company is offering would be a move up with a significantly higher pay, I'd say go for it. But if it would be, as you say, a "move sideways," probably better to stick around in the company you know and like and have a good reputation already established.

-David, who has never had a job that didn't involve mowing lawns.

C

Chibibar

You know, my friends always ask me how come I don't make the big buck with my degree in the private industry and still working for community college. I like it here. It is a good place to be and well, the benefits outweigh the need to have that "extra 20k a year). You seem to be happy with the job in general. That is a good thing. Here is my question. Would you rather sacrifice the job satisfaction you have now (the job not the pay) to get more pay? sometimes that extra pay have some sacrifices especially due to recent economical situation. People are trimming the fat so people who are getting paid more will have to work more (this is only true up until middle management sadly. CEO and such don't really work "harder" per se IMO and making astronomical paychecks) We have couple of "crap" position as I would call it (midnight shifts for call center and such) and usually in the past get only 10-20 applicant. There are SO many people out of the job, the last "crap position" we posted we had over 300 applicant. this is how desperate people are looking for jobs.

I am not saying don't look for another job, but you might want to consider in the long run if you might get move up later after this economical crisis (which hopefully should not last longer than 5 year I hope... yea wishful thinking) but if you are looking, look quietly, you never know that you might get "let go" because you are no longer loyal to the company and they can find someone else.

K

Kitty Sinatra

this economical crisis (which hopefully should not last longer than 5 year I hope... yea wishful thinking)
Yeah, unless there's an aftershock it's over. Even if you don't want to call what's going on right now a recovery, we're stable. The crisis is over.

The thing about this is that we'll be slow to recognize the recovery, just as we were slow to see the crisis. It started way back before your Presidential Primaries even began. That was when homeowners started defaulting on the subprime mortgages in enough numbers to get newspapers talking about it. That was when the American banks started taking their hit and everything else started crumbling around them.

So it may last 5 years, but we're already in year 4.

Dave

Staff member
Dear Bubble,

This is a tough one, but because I'm so old I have experienced exactly what you are going through. I took the chance and left.

I once worked for a little place that no longer exists. But before it went under I got an offer to work at another place for a lot more money and I took it. The job I moved to sucked. Eventually I left that job and went back to the first one. Yes, the money was worse, but I enjoyed the job more and had piece of mind.

Still, in your current situation it's very easy to get complacent and watch the years fly by. Here's what I'd do.

I would look at those other positions from which you are getting offers. Look at their hourly structure and benefits. The structured hours would allow you to gain on not only your budgeting of income but also your time for a social life, which was important enough for you to deem worthy of mention. Do not burn the bridges with your current job and be very forthright about why you are looking elsewhere. Let your boss know it's no reflection on the job, him as a boss or the business. You merely don't see the chances you require to grow as a person both individually and professionally. Let him know you've enjoyed your time and will remember them all fondly.

Then I'd go to the new position. If it goes badly you have paved the way to be able to move back to the current company in that or another capacity. I can't tell you how many times people have left places where I work only to come back later with higher pay and a better position. You are still a young man and can afford to take these chances now. Don't wait until you have a family and mortgage to figure it all out.

In the end it's up to you and your comfort level, but I say go for it!

this economical crisis (which hopefully should not last longer than 5 year I hope... yea wishful thinking)
Yeah, unless there's an aftershock it's over. Even if you don't want to call what's going on right now a recovery, we're stable. The crisis is over.

The thing about this is that we'll be slow to recognize the recovery, just as we were slow to see the crisis. It started way back before your Presidential Primaries even began. That was when homeowners started defaulting on the subprime mortgages in enough numbers to get newspapers talking about it. That was when the American banks started taking their hit and everything else started crumbling around them.

So it may last 5 years, but we're already in year 4.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the country. Spain still has a lot of crisis years to enjoy, for example.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Ah, right. I was just talking about the US and Canada.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic, though. Because our banks never faltered Canada really barely suffered more than a normal inevitable recession. What hit us hardest was the decline in trade to the US, and the slowdown in the auto industry, so we did significantly increase our debts because of the bailouts, meaning our recovery will be a little painful.

We can feel like we can go along business as usual, and just hope the Americans (and the rest of the word) learns some lessons, and looks to our banks as an example when balancing their regulations against competitiveness.

C

Chibibar

Dear Bubble,

This is a tough one, but because I'm so old I have experienced exactly what you are going through. I took the chance and left.

I once worked for a little place that no longer exists. But before it went under I got an offer to work at another place for a lot more money and I took it. The job I moved to sucked. Eventually I left that job and went back to the first one. Yes, the money was worse, but I enjoyed the job more and had piece of mind.

Still, in your current situation it's very easy to get complacent and watch the years fly by. Here's what I'd do.

I would look at those other positions from which you are getting offers. Look at their hourly structure and benefits. The structured hours would allow you to gain on not only your budgeting of income but also your time for a social life, which was important enough for you to deem worthy of mention. Do not burn the bridges with your current job and be very forthright about why you are looking elsewhere. Let your boss know it's no reflection on the job, him as a boss or the business. You merely don't see the chances you require to grow as a person both individually and professionally. Let him know you've enjoyed your time and will remember them all fondly.

Then I'd go to the new position. If it goes badly you have paved the way to be able to move back to the current company in that or another capacity. I can't tell you how many times people have left places where I work only to come back later with higher pay and a better position. You are still a young man and can afford to take these chances now. Don't wait until you have a family and mortgage to figure it all out.

In the end it's up to you and your comfort level, but I say go for it!
\
heh :) I know what you mean brother. I have a family and a mortgage :) it is harder for me to move now than say 10 years ago. Plus my wife will kill me if we move.

Status
Not open for further replies.