[Question] Jedi telekinesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Jedi and the Sith often use their force powers to hurl large objects at each other.

Why don't they ever hurl tiny or even microscopic items? Couldn't the Sith just throw some poisonous chemical at the Jedi and use their force powers to smother their victim with it?

Time is of the essence on this question folks, I have an appointment at 2 ATL.

Doesn't make for good film action sequences. The properties of force powers are only effective when they can be visually represented spectacularly on the silver screen.

Exactly. Even in the originals, Vader actually made a choking motion with his hand so that the audience would know that it was him that was causing the guy to choke. Surely you don't need to use hand gestures to use the force to choke someone out.

Dave

Staff member
What if instead of actually choking the guy he was merely pressing lots of microscopic things into the guy's neck?

Sure, he could have been doing that, but the point remains the same... the only reason he should have had to have made the choking gesture is so that the uninitiated laymen (i.e. the audience) knew that something Vader was doing with his mind was causing the guy to choke.

Vader was more than likely manipulating the man's windpipe directly. SWTOR shows Jedi consulars using the force to fire a stream if small pebbles with staggering force to damage and slow enemies. As for microscopic objects, it is probably too difficult. Each molecule of the gas would have to be manipulated, and if fighting a Jedi, they would be more prompt to just move away from the cloud, our hold their breath.

People like yoda are in the minority. Not all Jedi have supreme mastery of the force. Most are middle of the road where the occasional force throw during combat is the best they can consistently pull off.

In the Expanded Universe, manipulation of very small objects is depicted as requiring intense concentration, similar to manipulating very large objects. The Mon Calamari Jedi healer Cilghal was able to cure Mon Mothma's poisoning by concentrating on each individual poison molecule and pulling it out of her body, one by one. It took something like 12 hours of intense concentration to accomplish.

So, yes, the Jedi could throw a cloud of molecules at an enemy. But, given the same level of concentration involved, wouldn't it be more effective to throw a cloud of huge objects?

If you were in a Jedi vs sith fight, I don't think you'd really have the time or intuition to do so, unless the right situation presented itself.

I'd imagine you'd be more inclined to force throw an object at someone more as a distraction than as an actual weapon. The time it would take to force push poison or acid or something at your opponent could better be spen simply knocking them down or off a cliff or against the wall where you can finish them off with your light saber.

And as for just particularly small objects, again I feel like you'd be better off just using a blaster. The exception might be force pushing lots of small debris like a shotgun, but I'd bet there's some kind of blaster shotgun equivalent you could use.

If you were in a Jedi vs sith fight, I don't think you'd really have the time or intuition to do so, unless the right situation presented itself.

I'd imagine you'd be more inclined to force throw an object at someone more as a distraction than as an actual weapon. The time it would take to force push poison or acid or something at your opponent could better be spen simply knocking them down or off a cliff or against the wall where you can finish them off with your light saber.

And as for just particularly small objects, again I feel like you'd be better off just using a blaster. The exception might be force pushing lots of small debris like a shotgun, but I'd bet there's some kind of blaster shotgun equivalent you could use.
Scatterblasters. In SWTOR, the Scoundrel's equivalent of a backstab has him putting one of these to the back of an enemy's head.

With episodes IV V and VI in mind, I'd say the telekinesis force manipulation allows is infinite... if you can get your mind into it. That would explain why, in general, the telekinesis we see is applied to "medium" sized objects and supported by phisical gestures: it's a matter of getting past the mental barriers we have based on what we know we can move with our physical strength, our usual senses (seeing them, feeling them, etc.) and all the mental frame we have for physically interacting with things. As a force user gets more apt in telekinesis, they can manipulate multiple objects at once, not depend on physical gestures and interact with very big (and I guess very very small) things.

Of course, that's just my on the fly theory and at any time any of you may come here with a scene from the original trilogy that contradicts what I say that I didn't remember right now!

But I like my theory. It fits with the general themes of the force. The magical/spiritual one, not so much the bacteriological one.

Sure, he could have been doing that, but the point remains the same... the only reason he should have had to have made the choking gesture is so that the uninitiated laymen (i.e. the audience) knew that something Vader was doing with his mind was causing the guy to choke.
They did this with most Force Powers, even in the prequals. A few examples are Obi-Wan doing his little "hand wave" when using Force Persuasion, Vader "aiming" at objects with his lightsabre when moving them or even making very small sabre motions when throwing them, or in the new movies when a Jedi outreaches his hand in a open-palmed punch for the Force Push. There are actually only a few times I can remember a Jedi using his Force abilities without some sort of gesture, like when Obi-Wan pulls Qui-Gon's lightsabre and killed Darth Maul, he does not do the "outreached hand" motion you see them use in other movies when the reclaim a sabre.

Wait, wasn't Dooku force pusing it at the same time, so they were having a force tug of war? I can't remember, I've only seen the movies on release.

Status
Not open for further replies.