#Israel #War #Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck? How is civilian mapping a national security threat?
They are pulling a national security card and don't want civilians publishing data about military installations or other sensitive things. Basically, they don't want people to know where their military bases are and are worried people will use the maps to plan attacks.

This is stupid because of Google Earth.

Haven't you seen Apple Maps?
According to my iPhone 5, I'm in Pakistan right now!

So it's not so bad. As long as you live in Michigan Pakistan they don't seem to bother you about mapping activities.

But just in case I'm stocking up on gas station maps.

What the fuck? How is civilian mapping a national security threat?
The first thing I thought of was actually embarrassment. They're using the "military secrets" excuse, but given some of the other context of the article, I'll be it's actually to stop NGOs from finding out just how bad life is for the average Pakistani citizen. That the government has been lying their asses off on the poverty rates, disease rates, unemployment, or even so far as arable (and worked) land percentages to make themselves look better than they actually are. Mapping is a huge part of that.

Military secrets? A simple request to the major players and it's blurred out, or just omitted. But things that embarrass them? Much much harder to conceal.

They specifically talk about GIS - geographical information systems - which are primarily used in the industry to map infrastructure. Sewers, power lines, water lines, etc.

It can be a matter of significant national security especially if you are trying to maintain those things.

One thing to keep in mind is that they may not necessarily be trying to prevent people from mapping - they may simply be trying to avoid paying companies to map things for them, and instead claim that information and knowledge for their own use. "Yes, you can map the things you want to, but only if you give us a copy as well."

Status
Not open for further replies.