Is income inequality unjust, and if so, where is the injustice?

i continue to be caught on "the thing you pay for the use of and the taxes you pay for the infrastructure don't guarantee you shit pleb" like forget about being prepared, no one ever brings up the cost of having your electrical system correctly set-up for a generator, the cost have keeping the generator up, the fuel fresh, all of that is a super luxury for the rich and crazy. because the idea is no critical infrastructure like power/water should ever be down for more than a few days unless there is a catastrophic storm. up here in the frozen wastes of mn a blizzard/ice storm that caused this kind of damage would literally have to rip the poles out of the ground.

I just saw pictures and videos from Texas . Just fuck that asshole. How can people prepare for something that happen maybe once in a century.

True story:

The guy resigned today, but he wants you to know that people are being mean to him on Twitter and that’s wrong because he would never say anything mean to other people.
Guy says, "You don't need the government." People says, "Then we don't need you, do we?". Self-fulfilling prophecy.

i continue to be caught on "the thing you pay for the use of and the taxes you pay for the infrastructure don't guarantee you shit pleb" like forget about being prepared, no one ever brings up the cost of having your electrical system correctly set-up for a generator, the cost have keeping the generator up, the fuel fresh, all of that is a super luxury for the rich and crazy. because the idea is no critical infrastructure like power/water should ever be down for more than a few days unless there is a catastrophic storm. up here in the frozen wastes of mn a blizzard/ice storm that caused this kind of damage would literally have to rip the poles out of the ground.
No, no, you've got that wrong. The rich get the privilege of still having electricity, gas, whatever. The poor just have to learn to settle for less, and accept living in hovels and sending the kids to the well half an hour away every morning.
The Founding Fathers didn't mention a flight to electricity, gas, wifi, or anything, after all. Just guns and words. And people worth 3/5ths of a man.

The entire purpose of banding together to create a collective government in the first place is so your society will be able to handle situations that are beyond the reach of its individuals. This dude's rant literally makes it sound like he thinks people elected to government are elevated there because society deemed them homo superior and that, when the chips are down, it's perfectly okay for the plebs to be sacrificed die off because what matters most is the survival of these elected elite.

--Patrick

when the chips are down, it's perfectly okay for the plebs to be sacrificed die off because what matters most is the survival of these elected elite.

--Patrick
That’s the entire Republican platform right there. Except for abortion, fetusii are more important than people.

That’s the entire Republican platform right there. Except for abortion, fetusii are more important than people.
Those have the potential to be superior, after all. Even born to a poor black woman after incestual rape, you never know it'll turn out to be a pro basketball player!

*fœti
And don't forget that the only people allowed to have abortions are high-ranking members of society, and even then only if the womb's father says it's ok.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Texas freeze allows Jerry Jones’ natural gas company to “hit jackpot”

"The Insurance Council of Texas said insurers are expecting the winter storm of 2021 to become the costliest weather event in the history of the state, topping Hurricane Harvey."
“This week is like hitting the jackpot with some of these incredible prices,” Chief Financial Officer [of Comstock Resources Inc.] Roland Burns said on an earnings call Wednesday, via Bloomberg. “Frankly, we were able to sell at super premium prices for a material amount of production.”

figmentPez

Staff member
Apparently there is a company in Texas that has been charging people thousands to barely provide power.
Worse than that, one of the companies with soaring bills, Griddy, charges as you go, not with a monthly statement. Their hook to get people to sign up is charging wholesale rates for electricity, and wholesale rates went through the roof during the crisis. People who use them aren't just getting billed thousands of dollars, that money has already been taken out of their bank accounts in most cases.

Worse than that, one of the companies with soaring bills, Griddy, charges as you go, not with a monthly statement. Their hook to get people to sign up is charging wholesale rates for electricity, and wholesale rates went through the roof during the crisis. People who use them aren't just getting billed thousands of dollars, that money has already been taken out of their bank accounts in most cases.
and this is why republicans seem to scream "REGULATIONS RUIN EVERYTHING" there will, if there is a god, a regulation about selling people uninsulated wholesale pricing for power. This is why we have utility rules up here in mn, afaik its not possible for this to happen here as the power companies are pretty rigorously trying to dampen price fluctuations through generation throughput control via multi-plant go and slow mechanisms. I mean also we dont liver in this dystopian nightmare of utilities that literally lack the mechanisms to protect their infrastructure as bad as texas, possibly because our utilities didnt try to skirt national regulations?

Ah that fills in a couple questions I had about the story. Yeesh hopefully the feds can claw back that money instead of letting the brokers to keep it.

Wonder how long it'll be before Texas politicians are crowing about their utilities again.

and this is why republicans seem to scream "REGULATIONS RUIN EVERYTHING" there will, if there is a god, a regulation about selling people uninsulated wholesale pricing for power. This is why we have utility rules up here in mn, afaik its not possible for this to happen here as the power companies are pretty rigorously trying to dampen price fluctuations through generation throughput control via multi-plant go and slow mechanisms. I mean also we dont liver in this dystopian nightmare of utilities that literally lack the mechanisms to protect their infrastructure as bad as texas, possibly because our utilities didnt try to skirt national regulations?
The sad thing is, griddy apparently was going to announce a change in their model to protect against the price being too high within the next few months. But now it's probably too late for them.

Given the OP, my impression was (and still is) that the thread's primary purpose is for sparking discussion and change, isolation and implementation, and not as a place to incubate revolt.

--Patrick

Somewhat related to the video in the previous post: The Government Just Admitted It Doesn't Really Try to Collect Rich People's Taxes (their headline, not mine).
A recent report from the Treasury Department's inspector general concluded that at the IRS, "high-income taxpayers are generally not a collection priority, nor is there a strategy in place to address nonpayment by high-income taxpayers." As evidence, the report showed that the agency failed to recover more than 60 percent of the $4 billion in back taxes owed by those making more than $1.5 million.
--Patrick

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it speaks of the lack of respect those at the top have for those under them...

Goldman Sachs first year investment bankers: 95 hour weeks are inhumane can we get our working hours capped at only (only!) 80 hours a week.

Goldman Sachs boss: Hey guys don't forget to go the extra mile in your work.

What it mostly speaks to is this country's fetishization of "hard work" and how anyone who isn't automatically willing to put in extra overtime deserves to be cast aside like the useless slacker they are.

--Patrick

What it mostly speaks to is this country's fetishization of "hard work" and how anyone who isn't automatically willing to put in extra overtime deserves to be cast aside like the useless slacker they are.

--Patrick
I once got tagged as a 'clock watcher' at a job because I would stand up and leave as soon as my 8 hours was complete. One day as I was heading out, one of the guys I worked with said "some of us are willing to put in more time to make sure things get done." and my reply was "and some of us are competent enough to finish our tasks in an 8 hour day."

I once got tagged as a 'clock watcher' at a job because I would stand up and leave as soon as my 8 hours was complete. One day as I was heading out, one of the guys I worked with said "some of us are willing to put in more time to make sure things get done." and my reply was "and some of us are competent enough to finish our tasks in an 8 hour day."
Before we all worked from home, I would joke that by the end of the company driveway I would fully forget I had a job at all, as I have a whole lot of other things going on and my work was done for the day.

I say all the time "I don't do math on weekends". Just my way of saying my day job is as an accountant and I'm not going out of my way to do it in my free time too.