Ignoring Supreme Court: Obama's warrant-less tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't believe the laissez faire attitude people have towards unwarranted search and seizure.
To some degree it's a "it doesn't affect me personally" problem.

They came for the terrorists, but I wasn't a terrorist. They came for the criminals but I wasn't a criminal. They came for the abusers and violent but I wasn't violent and didn't abuse. Then they came for the speeders.

%#^&

Are you feeling okay? You stretched so hard to blame white people on that one that you may have pulled a muscle.
Hey now, I godwin'd the thread a whole post before Charlie pulled in white privilege.

Are you treating me special because I'm white, or because I'm middle class and keeping the poor down?

Just shut the fuck up. You're embarrassing yourself now, twit.
Hold on a second, he does make a valid point there, in his dumbass charlie sort of way. Racial profiling is still a HUGE issue in this. I can bet you dollars to doughnuts that people who look middle eastern or have middle eastern names will still be the first to fall under these sorts of illegal searches and seizures. One of my college professors is from Iran and he's lived here for 30 years and he still gets profiled all over the place.

Okay, but here's why I'm annoyed. You commented on how amazed you are that more people don't care about this sort of thing. His response? "Yeah, it's people being selfish, and privileged white people."

So people of color are up in arms over this, are they? Huge outcry in Black, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, and Asian communities? Must be white people keeping it all quiet.

I don't doubt for a moment that non-white people get profiled much more. But he decided to mention that in response to a completely different point. Why, it's almost as if he was just sitting here, waiting in anticipation to blame white people for this! Of course Charlie, ever the rational and logical person, would never do that!

GasBandit

Staff member
I still can't believe the laissez faire attitude people have towards unwarranted search and seizure.
Uh... that's not what laissez faire means.

A laissez faire attitude would be as outraged as you are, as basically laissez faire can be summed up by the phrase "It's none of government's business to be involved."

Uh... that's not what laissez faire means.

A laissez faire attitude would be as outraged as you are, as basically laissez faire can be summed up by the phrase "It's none of government's business to be involved."
You're right, I used it incorrectly.[DOUBLEPOST=1363818610][/DOUBLEPOST]
Okay, but here's why I'm annoyed. You commented on how amazed you are that more people don't care about this sort of thing. His response? "Yeah, it's people being selfish, and privileged white people."

So people of color are up in arms over this, are they? Huge outcry in Black, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, and Asian communities? Must be white people keeping it all quiet.

I don't doubt for a moment that non-white people get profiled much more. But he decided to mention that in response to a completely different point. Why, it's almost as if he was just sitting here, waiting in anticipation to blame white people for this! Of course Charlie, ever the rational and logical person, would never do that!
Your response kind of makes it sound like you're dismissing the point. Yes, Charlie is a dumbass, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Granted, my response was just a joke response, but seriously now... We're living among more and more people that don't really know how to tell time from an analogue clock. It's really rather disheartening.

also mildly getting back on topic despite not wanting to bother anymore

People only care about shit happening when it happens to them or someone they know. old white dudes have all the power and them and their friends have probably never been pulled over for driving while black or had their shit searched or had a gun pointed at them.

It's like that shithead senator who now gives a huge big fuck about gay rights since his son came out of the closet (see also: Cheney, Dick)

Remember how people were up in arms when Bush was around and the Patriot Act was first implemented? Why isn't that happening now?

Cajungal

Staff member
Kids are still taught how to read an analog clock face.
It's a good way to reinforce counting by 5's. It also demonstrates what a quarter of an hour is and gives you a better idea of "where" you are in an hour.

/elementary school teacher

Remember how people were up in arms when Bush was around and the Patriot Act was first implemented? Why isn't that happening now?
I think people are worn down and tired. We still hate it, we've just exhausted ourselves protesting.

Also, white people.

That's not how I remember it. I recall people just rolling over the second anyone mentioned the "war on terror".

And anyone who dissented was labelled unamerican

Cajungal

Staff member
^Thats what I remember too. People hadn't yet gotten over the flag-waving phase. Some people I knew didn't like it, but not many spoke up.

That's not how I remember it. I recall people just rolling over the second anyone mentioned the "war on terror".

And anyone who dissented was labelled unamerican
Oh, huh, maybe not when it was first implemented then. There was definitely opposition afterwards though, maybe around the time approaching the election. Just found it odd how America seems to be ok with giving Obama a lot more leeway for very similar actions. Or am I mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.