If you had to make a choice....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you either :

- Be born rich and die at a young age of 40 (and still be rich).

- Have little in the means of money scraping by for all your life but live until you're 80.

Discuss.

How rich? Make people disappear with no questions rich? Cause if so, then that's easy.

20-25 years of living out all my fantasies vs 60+ years of fruitless work? Ill take #1 please.

C

Chibibar

How rich? Make people disappear with no questions rich? Cause if so, then that's easy.

20-25 years of living out all my fantasies vs 60+ years of fruitless work? Ill take #1 please.
I am with Shego on this one. If I know that I will be rich and can do all what rich people can do (including above) then sure :) 40 it is.

I'll choose being rich.... and then I will use my fabulous wealth to research ways to extend life!
I think the idea is that you can't use your riches to extend your life, or your long life to amass wealth. And that you know it.

Barely surviving for eighty goddamned years sounds like a nightmare. This question isn't even fair.

Sure it is. It boils down to whether you'd rather spend a life of love, with family and friends you really care about for a long time or a short selfish life most likely filled with fake people and never knowing if someone truly loved you.

Really? Because I didn't read anything in the question as presented about love.
It's a womanly point of view but Shegs is pretty much right.

Didn't think people would have such a problem understanding such a question. No wonder our political forum sucks a dick to read.

C

Chibibar

It's a womanly point of view but Shegs is pretty much right.

Didn't think people would have such a problem understanding such a question. No wonder our political forum sucks a dick to read.
I did think about it. If I was that rich, then my love one (wife and kids and grand kids) will have access to my money and live comfortable :)

I hate for them to live in poor condition if I can help it.

P

Philosopher B.

Who wants to be born rich? Then you just take shit for granted.

Besides, fuck the rich.

80 years, please. :)
Added at: 20:17
I mean - GIMME DEM FAT STACKS, YO.

Fuck being poor, as long as I died at 40 with nose full of blow and surrounded by a heap of hookers I'm good.

Happiness is bullshit anyway, no one can be happy forever.

Was going to comment to Gusto, but Jay nailed it.

It's a matter of looking deeper at what your life situation would be like given the circumstances based on the majority.

Just to through a wrench in the works, as Dave and others will confirm, the most mind blowing sex you will ever have occurs after you are forty.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'd rather have the opportunity to see my grandchildren, continue teaching until I can't anymore, and spend my free time at the public library while eating dried beans and clipping coupons (how dated does that sound?!). The human connections I experience in my work and family life make me want to live longer no matter what I can afford. Also, it would be interesting to see what happens in the future. I'd like to see more of it rather than less.

If I was a selfish hedonist, I'd take the money and use it to fulfill my every desire.

If I was of the nobility among men and we were talking serious money here, I might take it and use it to do more good than I could possibly hope to accomplish otherwise. Build a new wing for the local hospital, donate money for the police to train additional narcotics dogs, buy vaccines to inoculate children in Africa against devastating but easily preventable diseases. Basically I would save lives, enjoy the time I have with those I care for, and just accept the fact that I'll keel over when the ticker strikes forty.

If I was of the common rung of mankind, concerned mostly about my own happiness and that of those around me, I might choose long life.

I'm no hedonist, so for me it's a choice between 2 and 3. While I'd like to think I am a generally good person, I don't know if I possess the kind of courage to sacrifice myself, with not even the slightest hope of survival, for the benefit of total strangers. It's never been tested before, so maybe I do have what it takes. But the most likely choice for me would be long life, even with full knowledge that hundreds or thousands of people, who might have gone on to live happy healthy and productive lives had I chosen differently, will have died to guarantee me a chance of personal happiness.

Money doesn't matter when you're dead so 80 it is.

I don't give a fuck anyway, i have no interest in being filthy rich... I can stop working and live comfortably for 2years as it is. That's good enough for me.

I think I'd go with the 80. I don't know what happens after I die. Its possible that this is really the only chance we all have to experience anything. I want my possible one chance at existing to be as long as possible. Even people who are struggling to make ends meet can have happy lives.

doomdragon6

Staff member
I'd have to go with 80 on this one. I'm not poor nor have I ever been, but if I'd never been well-off, I'd appreciate hard work more. Being "me", however, I know that I would eventually make my financial situation better. I understand the question is "being poor forever" but being poor generally means working hard to do what you do, and I just know I'd be able to make myself better.

My dad started off poor in a poor family and he moved away and made everything better for himself and his family, and I'm well provided for. I can't see not making my situation better after 80 years.

Either way, I'll take the longer life. I'm 23. That would give me only 17 more years. Shit sneaks up on you.

Reactions: Jay
Status
Not open for further replies.