How to Ruin the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Papillon

You forgot one, Dave...

Sue your fan base.

Guy buys season tickets. Team makes him sign a multi-year contract. A year or two later the economy tanks and guy is suddenly unemployed. Multi-billion dollar NFL franchise refuses to work with fan who now has no possible way to afford those tickets and sues instead.

Well excuse the fuck out of me, Mr. Snyder! I'm sorry I wasn't psychic enough to see that my office would shut down THREE YEARS after I paid you your fucking blood money.
Then don't sign a multi-year deal for it. Snyder is in the right here. It may suck, but a contract is a contract.[/QUOTE]

IANAL, but I believe in general on breach of a contract, the injured party (the team) is required to mitigate their loss to the extent reasonably possible, and is then is entitled only to the difference between the economic position they would have made if the contract hadn't been broken, and their real position.

So, the team is probably entitled to some money, but not as much as they are asking for.

And suing your fans is never good business sense.

L

Lally

Then don't sign a multi-year deal for it. Snyder is in the right here. It may suck, but a contract is a contract.
It hurts me, HURTS me, you have no idea, to defend anything about Dan Snyder, but a contract is a contract.

BUT, the fact that fans have to sign these contracts just to get seats is absolutely ridiculous. The whole ticket sales fiasco is getting a lot of attention in the DC area right now, especially because the Redskins are either looking the other way or actively helping scalpers get tickets and making real fans pay outrageous amounts of money to get to games.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103984.html

http://deadspin.com/5350715/redskins-cut-out-middle-man-sell-directly-to-scalpers

so, to sum things up, despite a contract obviously being legally binding, and perhaps you should not buy a ten year contract worth of tickets if your financial situation can't handle it in a worst case scenario (and why couldn't she have just scalped the tickets herself?), the thing to take away from all this is that the Redskins are run by a greedy prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.