How to Ruin the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
1) Have the players start to get greedy as fuck. Have them threaten to strike if they still work under salary caps. You know, those things that make it so that all markets are competitive? The reason why the NFL continues to grow as a sport while baseball has been getting more and more fractured while the small markets have no chance at all to compete while the New Yorks pay a shit-ton of money and buy their way to championships.

1a) Have the owners get greedy as fuck. Gotta have the biggest stadiums and the best venues, then charge so much that nobody but their rich friends can see a game live. $10 beers and $5 sodas? Yeah, that's great. I can't afford it, but I'm sure some business buddies can when their sponsor pays for a junket. Who gives a shit about the every day fan when you can make so much more cash from kissing the ass of the rich and elite?

2) Have the rules committee make sure nobody's feelings get hurt and take all the fun out of the game. Remember when the Falcons used to dance in the endzone? Or when the team scoring would all get together, jump in a massive high-5 and then all fall to the ground? In a bid to stop people from taunting the NFL took all the fun out of celebrations. This is ENTERTAINMENT! Why not let them entertain?

3) Make rules that take hitting out of the game. If you tackle someone hard any more you get fined. The other night I watched a game where a guy hit a wide receiver really, really hard...with his shoulder. He was flagged 15 yards. In another game the QB was sacked. The linebacker was flagged 15 yards for driving him into the ground.

4) Pass Interference rules are broken. Defensive backs can't touch wide receivers after 5 yards. So QBs will underthrow the ball so that the WR has to come back to it , which draws contact. I'm looking for statistics on the number of PI calls every year but I'm drawing a blank on that. In addition, you can run up to the QB after the pass is well away, spear him in the back as hard as you can and take him out of the game. The penalty? 15 yards and probably a fine of $20,000 from your million dollar salary. But bump a guy on a bomb pass and you could be hit with a 40+ yard penalty - even if the WR initiated the contact. WTF?!? The NFL needs to fix that shit.

5) Keep trying to shove American football down the throats of the world. Okay, this one gets my ire up every time. The rest of the world doesn't give a shit about our brand of football. They probably never will. NFL Europe was a dismal failure. So then today I read this. Goodell, what the hell? They care about as much about our football as we do about theirs. Soccer and cricket are cool sports but they will never be big in the United States...and our football will never be big there. Give it up.

I love my NFL and think they've done more right than any other sport to promote themselves and keep the smaller markets involved. But they are working hard to fuck it up and I hope they pull their heads out of their asses before it's too late.

Dave

Staff member
The only reason the NFL is more popular than College Football is the lack of a playoff system in the latter.
I would agree with this about 95%. The other 5% is me thinking that I'd still rather watch NFL than college. I know it's the same game but it's just better football.

K

Kitty Sinatra

More than anything, what's ruining the game for me is the apparent 2 minute play clock that drags the game on 4 hours.

Well, what I'm getting at is that people have thought changes would ruin football a bunch of times before, and the league managed to right itself.

Dave

Staff member
Well, what I'm getting at is that people have thought changes would ruin football a bunch of times before, and the league managed to right itself.
While I would normally agree with you that there have been changes in the past that did not have the negative effect that was predicted, I can see the changes that are happening having a long-lasting detrimental effect on the sport itself.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen what these types of moves in other sports has brought about. Most of these that are not specific to the NFl directly have been tried by other sports and met with dismal failure.

Shannow

Staff member
personally, i still have a very enjoyable time watching the NFL, and will continue to do so every season. GIANTS!!!

I agree that we need a return to smashmouth football. Take the best teams of the old days and put them up against any team today and the old guys would lose because they'd get penalized to death.

Also, the sudden death overtime needs to be fixed. Games should not be decided on who gets lucky on a coin toss. My idea for that is each team gets a possession. Coin toss determines who gets it first and who defends. If the offense scores or is stopped on a fourth down, then the other team gets a kickoff. Game goes until one team is stopped and the other scores. If there is an int or fumble that's returned for a touchdown, the game ends.

Lack of Salary caps won't hurt the NFL. The vast majority of the money made by teams comes from the tv deals that the NFL negotiate as a whole, each team makes an equal share from it.

on number 2: endzone dances are the most retarded thing in the world. I want to watch athletes play football, not execute some choreographed dance routine. Players that did that just looked like douchebags. Only way a football player looked douchier was when a Linebacker did a celebration for making an ordinary tackle. Good Job asshole you did what you were supposed to do.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

personally, i still have a very enjoyable time watching the NFL, and will continue to do so every season. GIANTS!!!
Looking forward to the GGGGEEEE-MEN take on the Redskins Sunday.

NFL is still a large part of my fall ritual. I can normally catch one game a year, if I can afford it then.

What can hurt the NFL is all the major construction that has happened in the last 10 or so years. Ranging from 500 mill to a cool billion each, these monuments of excess can lead to financial troubles for these teams. Now that real estate is worth less and the economy is in the tank, franchises may have a hard time paying these things off.

Dave

Staff member
NFL is still a large part of my fall ritual. I can normally catch one game a year, if I can afford it then.

What can hurt the NFL is all the major construction that has happened in the last 10 or so years. Ranging from 500 mill to a cool billion each, these monuments of excess can lead to financial troubles for these teams. Now that real estate is worth less and the economy is in the tank, franchises may have a hard time paying these things off.
Franchises don't pay these off. It's usually the communities surrounding them that do. The franchises get tax breaks.

And as to Covar's points, if it weren't for the salary cap you'd have the same issues as baseball does right now. The collective bargaining agreement and revenue sharing on top of the caps keeps the NFL competitive.

And when your WR makes a great play and then makes a first down hand signal, doesn't that help fire you up? Same with the defensive guys. I think the NFL used to be more fun that it is now.

C

crono1224

How to Ruin the NFL

1) Free Agency
2) Letting teams move
3) The Forward Pass
Thank you 1880's Charlie.[/QUOTE]

Would that require leather helmets and no blacks?

Seriously though last time yankees won was 2000, and of the last teams I don't see too many huge spenders. Though I do think a limit is generally a good idea.

Also celebrations are a bit of a goofy subject some are just excessive and then you gotta apply a subjective deffinition. I always liked Barry Sanders and he never celebrated.

C

crono1224

Yes, love those pristine World Series championships by the small market known as the Boston Red Sox.
In say last 15 years lets record: Yankees (4)(Nothing since 2000), Marlins(2), Red Sox(2), White Sox, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Phillies, Braves, Angels, Blue Jays.

So outside the 6 from Yankees, and Red Sox, and maybe White Sox. You have between 8-9 years of mid to lower level teams winning.

As far as putting a team in London, why don't we get a new team into Los Angeles first? Then, maybe look at Mexico City or Toronto for other options. Canada's already got the CFL and it seems to do fairly well and Mexico hosted a game a few years back that had a great turnout.

London is just too far and, as Dave stated, doesn't have the interest to really support a team full-time.

K

Kitty Sinatra

As far as putting a team in London, why don't we get a new team into Los Angeles first? Then, maybe look at Mexico City or Toronto for other options. Canada's already got the CFL and it seems to do fairly well and Mexico hosted a game a few years back that had a great turnout.

London is just too far and, as Dave stated, doesn't have the interest to really support a team full-time.
Toronto's already got a team. The Bills. We'd like a different team, please.

C

Chazwozel

1) Have the players start to get greedy as fuck. Have them threaten to strike if they still work under salary caps. You know, those things that make it so that all markets are competitive? The reason why the NFL continues to grow as a sport while baseball has been getting more and more fractured while the small markets have no chance at all to compete while the New Yorks pay a shit-ton of money and buy their way to championships.

1a) Have the owners get greedy as fuck. Gotta have the biggest stadiums and the best venues, then charge so much that nobody but their rich friends can see a game live. $10 beers and $5 sodas? Yeah, that's great. I can't afford it, but I'm sure some business buddies can when their sponsor pays for a junket. Who gives a shit about the every day fan when you can make so much more cash from kissing the ass of the rich and elite?

2) Have the rules committee make sure nobody's feelings get hurt and take all the fun out of the game. Remember when the Falcons used to dance in the endzone? Or when the team scoring would all get together, jump in a massive high-5 and then all fall to the ground? In a bid to stop people from taunting the NFL took all the fun out of celebrations. This is ENTERTAINMENT! Why not let them entertain?

3) Make rules that take hitting out of the game. If you tackle someone hard any more you get fined. The other night I watched a game where a guy hit a wide receiver really, really hard...with his shoulder. He was flagged 15 yards. In another game the QB was sacked. The linebacker was flagged 15 yards for driving him into the ground.

4) Pass Interference rules are broken. Defensive backs can't touch wide receivers after 5 yards. So QBs will underthrow the ball so that the WR has to come back to it , which draws contact. I'm looking for statistics on the number of PI calls every year but I'm drawing a blank on that. In addition, you can run up to the QB after the pass is well away, spear him in the back as hard as you can and take him out of the game. The penalty? 15 yards and probably a fine of $20,000 from your million dollar salary. But bump a guy on a bomb pass and you could be hit with a 40+ yard penalty - even if the WR initiated the contact. WTF?!? The NFL needs to fix that shit.

5) Keep trying to shove American football down the throats of the world. Okay, this one gets my ire up every time. The rest of the world doesn't give a shit about our brand of football. They probably never will. NFL Europe was a dismal failure. So then today I read this. Goodell, what the hell? They care about as much about our football as we do about theirs. Soccer and cricket are cool sports but they will never be big in the United States...and our football will never be big there. Give it up.

I love my NFL and think they've done more right than any other sport to promote themselves and keep the smaller markets involved. But they are working hard to fuck it up and I hope they pull their heads out of their asses before it's too late.

I hope they strike, I really do. The NHL players that went on strike in 2005 learned quite quickly how much getting a real job sucks and settled for "measly" $500,000 to 1 mil paychecks. Heaven forbid professional athletes get paid less. I still think it's ridiculous what some Yankees players pull.

A salary cap would do no good in Baseball, would result in to much money going into the hands of the owners to satisfy the players. And what level do you set the salary cap? We all know the Red Sox are in favor of one. Set right at their current spending level of course, which would only result in screwing over the Yankees. If anything baseball needs higher revenue sharing.

Dave said:
And when your WR makes a great play and then makes a first down hand signal, doesn't that help fire you up? Same with the defensive guys. I think the NFL used to be more fun that it is now.
No. A WR making a great play and getting the first down fires me up. making the first down signal would be like the fullback fist-pumping the air because he made a 3 yard carry.

C

Chazwozel

Yes, love those pristine World Series championships by the small market known as the Boston Red Sox.
In say last 15 years lets record: Yankees (4)(Nothing since 2000), Marlins(2), Red Sox(2), White Sox, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Phillies, Braves, Angels, Blue Jays.

So outside the 6 from Yankees, and Red Sox, and maybe White Sox. You have between 8-9 years of mid to lower level teams winning.[/QUOTE]

The Yankees are proof that you can buy the best players, but you can't buy team chemistry.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

I wouldn't mind Boston so much if their fans weren't the biggest ****s in the United States.

Fortunately Girardi seems to have realized the need for chemistry this year.

I'm bias'd but I think fans of all NY's rival teams are huge cockheads.

C

crono1224

so 3 teams, out of those 10, hold over half of the victories.
As to the other sports where there are plenty of dynasty or teams that dominate, the Patriots, the Red Wings, Lakers, Spurs. Just saying....

On the excessive celebrations, it is called 'professional' sports. If the owners of the teams do not want you acting like an asshat playing on some school-yard... then don't.

C

Chazwozel

I wouldn't mind Boston so much if their fans weren't the biggest ****s in the United States.
Eagles fans are the worst pieces of trash in existance.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the Flyers/ Phillies trash that falls in the dirtwad lump of Philthadelphia sports!

Flyers fans are ranked #1 in rudest and most obnoxious fans in the NHL.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

On the excessive celebrations, it is called 'professional' sports. If the owners of the teams do not want you acting like an asshat playing on some school-yard... then don't.
I've always been a fan of the Emmett Smith philosophy. When you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before and just hand the ball to the ref.

Dave

Staff member
so 3 teams, out of those 10, hold over half of the victories.
As to the other sports where there are plenty of dynasty or teams that dominate, the Patriots, the Red Wings, Lakers, Spurs. Just saying....[/QUOTE]

I can't speak very well towards the NHL or the NBA because I just don't follow them. So let's look at the NFL and MLB to compare. In MLB, the market size has a direct correlation on how many games the teams win. In the NFL it's not the same way. The last 5 Superbowl winners have been New England, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, New York and Tampa Bay (last five teams, not last 5 games). These are hardly the high market powerhouses. In fact, the NFL is best known for runs such as the Cowboys in the 1990s and New England in the early 2000s. They are this way because they set up for big players and the cap means that they must take money from somewhere. These other "somewhere" positions get vacated through free agency as the players on the championship teams get picked up on other teams. So while a team can ride a player or two for a while it's very likely that the "best" teams will be going down in power after a championship win.

In fact, in the NFL, each year fully half of the previous year's playoff teams do not make the post season. It's usually 6-8 of the previous 12 teams that do NOT make it. In baseball, there are 6 teams who have not made the playoffs in 10+ years - 2 have not been in the playoffs for over 20 years. In the NFL the longest dry spell belongs to both the Bills and Lions at 9 seasons each.

Why is this? Revenue sharing and the salary caps have made it a much more competitive league and have brought parity to the system. Every year there's that dark horse who does well despite the odds. Last year it was Atlantic and Miami. The year before it was New Orleans.

The NFL does it right but is in danger of screwing it all up.

K

Kitty Sinatra

In the NFL the longest dry spell belongs to both the Bills and Lions at 9 seasons each.
It's their proximity to Toronto that brings them down so poorly.

Smurfing Maple Leafs.

I hope they strike, I really do. The NHL players that went on strike in 2005 learned quite quickly how much getting a real job sucks and settled for "measly" $500,000 to 1 mil paychecks. Heaven forbid professional athletes get paid less. I still think it's ridiculous what some Yankees players pull.
I vaguely recall during the NHL strike a few years back, seeing an interview with one of the hockey players. He justified the strike by saying something along the lines of "I have to provide for my family."

:facepalm:

This, from a man who could probably afford to buy fly his groceries from Mongolia.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

In the NFL the longest dry spell belongs to both the Bills and Lions at 9 seasons each.
It's their proximity to Toronto that brings them down so poorly.

Smurfing Maple Leafs.[/QUOTE]

There really just is something about that city. Toronto FC sucks too.

C

Chazwozel

This, from a man who could probably afford to buy fly his groceries from Mongolia.

I think T.O. also said something similar when he wasn't happy with his 7 or 9 mil / year contract with the Eagles...

With 9 mil a year I could support my entire extended family, with enough left over for a nice BMW.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I think T.O. also said something similar when he wasn't happy with his 7 or 9 mil / year contract with the Eagles...

With 9 mil a year I could support my entire extended family, with enough left over for a nice BMW.
Yeah, but do you have a TV crew to feed and clothe, too?

The even sadder thing is most the people bitching about the high salaries of players would also bitch about the amount of money owners make, and if players made less, how they were exploiting the talents of the athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.