How to play Left 4 Dead (2).

I see how it is.... I log on to play, and y'all wanna run PUBG.
I can't be there, and THEN you all load onto the L4D2 hype train.
I'ma just be over here, sniffing in the corner and hoping the suspect I'm guarding doesn't hear me....
I feel ya. Every time I buy a game, it's right before everyone else hops off the bandwagon, leaving me up there on my own.

--Patrick

I have pubg and tried it solo for like 5 games. Either I would die within 2 minutes or survive to near the end not seeing anyone, get loaded up for bear and then riddled from the next county over by some Olympic class sniper while I flail and panic in circles trying to figure out where I'm getting hit from.

I hear it's better with a group though.

Last edited:
I have pubg and tried it solo for like 5 games. Either I would die within 2 minutes or survive to near the end not seeing anyone, get loaded up for bear and then riddled from the next county over by some Olympic class sniper while I flail and panic in circles trying to figure out where I'm getting hit from.

@CynicalKat seems to enjoy it quite a bit in groups, but it does sound quite boring solo.

IMO it just seems boring. Every time I look over, this is all I see:

@CynicalKat seems to enjoy it quite a bit in groups, but it does sound quite boring solo.

IMO it just seems boring. Every time I look over, this is all I see:
Jogging with your friends simulator 2017.

Last night Terrik kept dying really early, then had to watch me solo for 15 minutes over and over again. Not great.

However, when you're actually playing, there's a lot of tension.[DOUBLEPOST=1503249099,1503249041][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah I feel like half the game is just getting lucky and being able to set up a sniper nest right where the last circle is going to be.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yesterday I learned that add-ons don't work in offline mode. The game loads fine, but the add-ons just keep searching and never load anything. So much for some de-stressing playing through some add-on campaigns with bots.

GasBandit

Staff member
Any ones I really need for when I finally make it to a HF match?
We rarely play custom maps any more because we can only reliably connect to each other using valve servers, and they don't support custom maps. To play a custom map, one of us has to host, and 9 times out of 10 there will be someone else in the group who just can't connect for whatever reason.

But you can use whatever cosmetic addons you want. I like jiggly DOA models and the Hank Hill Tank mods :D

GasBandit

Staff member
I've set up a Left 4 Dead 2 server on my personal server (the same one that's running the empyrion server) and set it to be associated with the Halforums Steam Group. So, if you are part of that group, you should see it in your list of steam group servers (it'll probably be the only one, unless you're part of other steam groups).

I've tested that it works on my own, both from direct joining and from the lobby (you have to change from "Official server" to "steam group server" to pick it from the list). Also, while connected to the server, votes can be made to change campaigns. However, this might randomize who is what survivor, so if you GOTTA be a certain survivor, your best bet is to go back to lobby and change from there.

I'm in the process of uploading all the VPKs for the various custom campaigns we've played over the years, but that will take longer to get working. For now, the vanilla stuff looks to be working.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, I've loaded the VPKs for:

Deathcraft II
Journey to Splash Mountain
I Hate Mountains
Urban Flight
Dead Before Dawn DC
Energy Crisis
Blood Sacrifice
Questionable Ethics
Questionable Ethics 2
Suicide Blitz 2

But these custom campaigns are only available via lobby, so all the clients will have to have the campaign in question installed, too, naturally. The in-game voting-to-switch-campaigns dialog doesn't let you switch to a custom campaign.

I successfully tested the server running Energy Crisis.

If anybody else wants any other custom maps on the server, just sound off here (preferably with a link to where to get it).

GasBandit

Staff member
You can either get the addon files you need from the Steam Workshop, but if for some reason you can't or don't want to, the VPK files are also hosted at http://gasbanditry.com/l4d2/ . Just download them and put them in your left4dead2/addons folder.

Be advised that once you've put them there, you'll also need to go into the game, and choose "addons" from the main menu, and enable ONLY the ones you want to play THAT TIME. A lot of these have conflicting resource collisions, so having them all enabled all the time will cause problems. Not to mention take HUGE amounts of time to load.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gared and Aislynn and I have played multiple custom games on the server, and it's working very well.

The only caveat is, after you play a custom map on it, it won't let you play a different custom map unless the server is set back to a vanilla map first... so... when you complete your custom game, just rejoin the server and start a vote to change campaigns back to a vanilla map. Then you can go back to the lobby and start the new/dfferent custom campaign.

Or, if you're actually playing with me, I can just restart the server in 5 seconds and we'll be good to go :D

GasBandit

Staff member
"I want to play Left 4 Dead!" - Anna
"What about Deep Rock Galactic?" - Gas
"Ehhh CONSOLE GAMES keep me too busy!" - Anna

... did they release L4D2 on the switch and I missed it? :p

You guys still play this often? Been a long time since I played it and would love to get back into it.
Might be a while before I can join though. Currently sans computer. Need to figure out if my stimulus check can be used for a new one or not in the financially sustainability sense.

GasBandit

Staff member
You guys still play this often? Been a long time since I played it and would love to get back into it.
Might be a while before I can join though. Currently sans computer. Need to figure out if my stimulus check can be used for a new one or not in the financially sustainability sense.
We haven't played in 2 years, and maybe only had a spate once a year before that for several years, but it seems like folks might be getting the itch to play again.

If you mean for versus, then yes. Realistically, we have more than 4 people who will be interested in this probably.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's looking like we're going to run the co-op campaign on at least 2 occasions, as we've got several more than 4 interested, I think. Maybe even 8.