[Food] How many times can you re-heat pizza?

How many times can you re-heat pizza?

• I only eat fresh pizza. It cannot be re-heated.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Twice

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Three to four times

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Five or more times - it tasted like cardboard originally anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on so many variables - I will answer, at length, below.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 26? I thought it was more... Oh, well then, strike it being a "fairly large" chain.
Fairly large chains like them are okay I guess, I will now specify my hatred of chains to end confusion. Plus looking from their website, I like how they don't call their Mediums large. That will always bother me about pizza chains, and nothing will change my annoyance of it. NOTHING!

I used to reheat pizza one slice at a time in an electric rice steamer. One of these mofos:

old.jpg

They would emerge absolutely soggy and gross. Ate them anyway.

Pizza can be reheated an infinite number of times, by definition.
However, the maximum number of times before I will refuse to eat it is usually about twice...not because I have anything against it being reheated, but because of the amount of time the pizza would need to hang around to get to a 3rd reheating is usually also enough that it would not be worth eating at that point. Thus:

Day 1: Fresh pizza. W00t! (nom nom nom)
Day 2-4: A bit dry. A quick zap will fix that! (nom nom nom)
Day 5-7: Ooo, that's old. I'll reheat it enough to make it safe to eat again. (nom nom ouch hot nom)
Day 8+: I'm not eating that.

--Patrick
Holy crap, you can eat food that's a week old?!

Holy crap, you can eat food that's a week old?!
Pizza (good pizza) is cooked in an oven around 500+ degrees Farenheit. That's hot enough to sterilize it.
Afterwards, airborne contamination will reseed the nastiness, but by then it would be in the fridge, where microbial action is slowed waaaay down.
So yes, a week is a pretty comfortable margin for pizza.

--Patrick

If you store it in an air-tight container in the freezer, it keeps for up to three weeks or a month. Depends on the food of course, but sure.
Yeah ok, I freezer I get, but he mentioned 8+ days = nahhh..

Maybe pizza is a specific food type, I never keep enough left to want to store it, but with other foods no matter how airtight I wrap them, more than 3-4 days in the fridge and it just doesn't look good enough anymore

For those wondering how you can need to reheat more than once, here is my tale. I had to reheat my pizza twice just last night. So for some reason everyone was having pizza yesterday so I finally caved and got some. When I picked it up at the pizza joint it was piping hot but it was a 12 minute walk back to my place and 40 something outside so it wasn't even warm when I got back. I had been craving some hot pizza and so I reheated it all since my roommates were in the house but they left as it was reheating. I have 2 slices and then spend five minutes trying to find out what wires had been messed with that my dvd player wasnt showing up. By then the pizza is cold and required another reheating (the main part of the house is kept pretty chilly). Look at clock, pizza age less than 1 hour and already 2 reheatings. If I was hungrier I'm sure it could have been easily bumped up to 3. I got my pizza fix so all in all a good night.

I do kind of wonder how you get up past 5 and still have pizza left. You must have a bunch of interruptions but you think you would just do it a slice or 2 at a time by then.

more than 3-4 days in the fridge and it just doesn't look good enough anymore
Your fridge may not be set cold enough. At 35F your food will last* 8-12 times longer than it would at room temperature. A lot depends on how the food is prepared/served. Pizza is a special case. It is brought to an unusually high temperature, it is very low in moisture (much of the "juice" is actually fat) and high in salt, and it is usually served covered (which slows contamination). I would think nothing of eating bread, cheese, or cured meat which had been cellared for a week, and pizza is basically those three things all melted together.

Now, if you're talking mushrooms, uncured meats (beef/sausage/chicken), fruit (pineapple/tomatoes) or other highly perishable foodstuffs, then we start having issues.

--Patrick
*i.e. safe to eat.

BTW, I've regretted that pizza big time. I'm sometimes in denial about how much my lack of a gal bladder effects my ability to eat fatty foods.

Who the heck can keep pizza around for 8+ days? In my house, that stuff's gone 48 hours, tops.[DOUBLEPOST=1353181406][/DOUBLEPOST]That includes the slice that the doomweasels steal and hide.
No, I don't eat that piece. Icky.

It really depends too much on the type of pizza.

Pizza Hut, I've left out in the open for 2 months and it was still perfectly edible when reheated (well, it was friend who left it out, and he ate it. I guess him being drunk helped a lot :p Still, it looked and smelled like it was one day old. Pizza Hut is plastic crap, yo. Tasty and fatty, but plastic crap all the same).
Home-made pizza...Well, once. Maybe twice, though, like most others, I'd just reheat parts at a time.
Frozen pizza not at all. You heat it, you eat it. Seriously.
Big chain pizza (Dominoes and whatever): taste like cardboard when new, will taste like greasy cardboard when reheated. Don't. Finish it in one go, or eat it cold, or feed it to the pigs. Better yet, feed it to the pigs when warm, then butcher the pigs and make good pizza with the bacon.
Good restaurant pizza...Two, maybe three times. Eh.
Great restaurant pizza: not at all. If you buy really great pizza and you have any left, you're clearly not doing it right.

GasBandit

Staff member
Unless you make it yourself from scratch using ingredients from your own garden, pretty much everything you eat these days is a combination of plastic, sand and pesticides.

Unless you make it yourself from scratch using ingredients from your own garden, pretty much everything you eat these days is a combination of plastic, sand and pesticides.
And petroleum, and e. coli, and one of the myriad derivatives of corn. And transported to the furthest grocery store by the smelliest, least efficient method possible.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
And petroleum, and e. coli, and one of the myriad derivatives of corn. And transported to the furthest grocery store by the smelliest, least efficient method possible.

--Patrick
Well, by "plastic" I meant petroleum, since plastic is a petroleum product.

But let's also not leave out wood pulp (cellulose)!

Status
Not open for further replies.