Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities: Who's sexually harassing? Who's sexually harassed? Let's find out!

Garrison Keillor fired from Minnesota Public Radio

...too far? Is it officially in witch hunt territory now?

--Patrick
Man, that article makes his defense look like "Fans have touched me inappropriately, so it's okay if I innapropriately touch someone who works with me."

Anyway, it can't be a witch hunt for a couple reasons:

Unlike the real witch hunt, the number of actually guilty partied is greater than 0.
Unlike the Great American Witch Commie Hunt, people aren't being hunted down for fear of what they might do.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was just coming here to post that. I wonder if we're getting to the point where we're doing more harm than good.
Zero tolerance policies rarely work out well. From what we've seen so far, I don't know that this really warranted that type of response.
How long before it's just any man who misread a signal and put a hand on the shoulder of a woman who wasn't interested? How much longer after that when just having a creepy smile is enough grounds? How many more isla vista shooters will come out of a world where males are strung up by their heels for expressing interest?

Also this whole thing is starting to remind me of these things -
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sexual-harassment/2751966

Celt Z made mention in another thread about Chris Evans, "Don't you touch him 2017!" which I can only assume means she's hoping it turns out he's never touched a woman he wasn't married to in his life, but I'd come back with, he could probably go full on Louis CK and find nothing but willingness and gratitude.

Man, that article makes his defense look like "Fans have touched me inappropriately, so it's okay if I innapropriately touch someone who works with me."

Anyway, it can't be a witch hunt for a couple reasons:

Unlike the real witch hunt, the number of actually guilty partied is greater than 0.
Unlike the Great American Witch Commie Hunt, people aren't being hunted down for fear of what they might do.
That's a dumb response on his part.
The Star Tribune article is a bit better at including his actual response.

http://m.startribune.com/garrison-keillor-reportedly-fired-for-improper-behavior/460802703/

How long before it's just any man who misread a signal and put a hand on the shoulder of a woman who wasn't interested? How much longer after that when just having a creepy smile is enough grounds? How many more isla vista shooters will come out of a world where males are strung up by their heels for expressing interest?

Also this whole thing is starting to remind me of these things -
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/sexual-harassment/2751966

Celt Z made mention in another thread about Chris Evans, "Don't you touch him 2017!" which I can only assume means she's hoping it turns out he's never touched a woman he wasn't married to in his life, but I'd come back with, he could probably go full on Louis CK and find nothing but willingness and gratitude.
Really? The slippery slope argument?

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, when's the inquisition coming for Uncle Joe, then, I guess?

[DOUBLEPOST=1511985353,1511985153][/DOUBLEPOST]And on a progressively lighter note.

Well, let me know when we stop slipping, I guess. I mean, the most asexual old fart ever to sit on a porch in Minnesota and mumble about americana just got fired for an awkwardly flubbed pat on the back.
I don't know if I would call him asexual. We went to a show of his not too long ago with our 12 year old daughter, and got to listen to him retelling his first sexual experience... That ranked up there in awkward moments.

I'd like to know more. Keillor is one of the few celebrities I looked up to. So far it seems overblown, but it's hard to say anymore.

Well, let me know when we stop slipping, I guess. I mean, the most asexual old fart ever to sit on a porch in Minnesota and mumble about americana just got fired for an awkwardly flubbed pat on the back.
There is no question that some inappropriate behavior is more inappropriate than others. But the slippery slope is a fallacy and you know it. Also, keep in mind:

1.) Contracts are between employers and employees and usually give some freedoms to both parties to extract from the contract. Lauer was probably fired based on such a clause. If it was inappropriate use of the clause, he can sue! But neither Keillor nor Lauer are being "strung up by their heels". It isn't a prosecution (except in the court of public opinion, which is another matter).

2.) While there might actually be more than a bit of "viral fad" to the sexual misconduct revelations, that doesn't make them untrue. The virulence of this fad needn't be because it is cool to accuse old dudes of terrible things but that the social climate makes it safer to come out now, more so with each public reveal. The cascading effect looks a little like a witch hunt, but that is only because it involves accusations, rather than a dank meme spreading around, not because of the number is high.

GasBandit

Staff member
There is no question that some inappropriate behavior is more inappropriate than others. But the slippery slope is a fallacy and you know it.
There's a difference, though, between a slippery slope and runaway freight train.

Also, keep in mind:

1.) Contracts are between employers and employees and usually give some freedoms to both parties to extract from the contract. Lauer was probably fired based on such a clause. If it was inappropriate use of the clause, he can sue! But neither Keillor nor Lauer are being "strung up by their heels". It isn't a prosecution (except in the court of public opinion, which is another matter).
Keillor's career is over. He's not making a big fuss about it though, because he's basically 99% retired already anyway. If it had been a younger man, it'd have been much more dire.

2.) While there might actually be more than a bit of "viral fad" to the sexual misconduct revelations, that doesn't make them untrue. The virulence of this fad needn't be because it is cool to accuse old dudes of terrible things but that the social climate makes it safer to come out now, more so with each public reveal. The cascading effect looks a little like a witch hunt, but that is only because it involves accusations, rather than a dank meme spreading around, not because of the number is high.
I guess we'll keep the hot pokers and thumbscrews at the ready, then, for the next dastardly villain to be revealed by something awkward in his past.

Though, I do find it a little funny that somehow Andrew "Dice" Clay has not been rounded up yet. I would have thought for sure that if there was anybody who put a hand on someone and made her feel icky, it'd have been him.

There's a difference, though, between a slippery slope and runaway freight train.

Keillor's career is over. He's not making a big fuss about it though, because he's basically 99% retired already anyway. If it had been a younger man, it'd have been much more dire.

I guess we'll keep the hot pokers and thumbscrews at the ready, then, for the next dastardly villain to be revealed by something awkward in his past.

Though, I do find it a little funny that somehow Andrew "Dice" Clay has not been rounded up yet. I would have thought for sure that if there was anybody who put a hand on someone and made her feel icky, it'd have been him.
maybe because he has no career to speak of any more?[DOUBLEPOST=1511986566,1511986468][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Keillor's career with MPR may be over, but that was between him and MPR. MPR had the right to fire him, unless they did so against the contract they both signed. That is my point.

GasBandit

Staff member
maybe because he has no career to speak of any more?
And Keillor did? Heck, and Cosby did?

Also, Keillor's career with MPR may be over, but that was between him and MPR. MPR had the right to fire him, unless they did so against the contract they both signed. That is my point.
I wasn't talking about the right to do so, I was talking about severity/effect.

And Keillor did? Heck, and Cosby did?
Well, the "newsworthiness" might really have to do with the surprisingness of it, more than the degree of the effect on the respective careers. In Cosby's case, the sheer predatory and repeated behaviors described in the allegations were pretty newsworthy too.

I wasn't talking about the right to do so, I was talking about severity/effect.
Yeah, but they are obviously linked. NBC and MPR have business to do, and dragging feet on allegations, especially if there is repeated and/or corroborating evidence against a person, will be very bad for that business. Free market!

GasBandit

Staff member
Bill Cosby was in the process of getting a Tv show on NBC.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/bill-cosby-nbc-series-canceled-1201289210/
I genuinely did not know that. I thought he was off in a corner mouldering or something.[DOUBLEPOST=1511987724,1511987608][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, the "newsworthiness" might really have to do with the surprisingness of it, more than the degree of the effect on the respective careers. In Cosby's case, the sheer predatory and repeated behaviors described in the allegations were pretty newsworthy too.
Well, you've got a point there.

Yeah, but they are obviously linked. NBC and MPR have business to do, and dragging feet on allegations, especially if there is repeated and/or corroborating evidence against a person, will be very bad for that business. Free market!

maybe because he has no career to speak of any more?[DOUBLEPOST=1511986566,1511986468][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, Keillor's career with MPR may be over, but that was between him and MPR. MPR had the right to fire him, unless they did so against the contract they both signed. That is my point.
I agree that it's within their rights. My only worry is that if everything becomes career ending, and there's no room for 'This was a one time misunderstanding/mistake, and appropriate action has been taken' does it just become noise? Do people stop caring?
There's a huge difference between Weinstein and what is happening here (At least so far). And yet there is still a push for the same response.

If everybody is scum, is anybody?
Yes.

Anyway, one other thing that annoys me, up to a point, is...historical revisionism. Some things have happened two years ago, some thirty.
I'm not condoning sexual misbehavior, far from it, but public mores and what is considered "acceptable" have changed. Pretty much nobody batted an eye when rock and pop stars banged 16-year-olds in the 70s. Nobody considered it strange for a boss to pay his secretary on the ass in the 80s. Being gay was weird and abnormal back then and is perfectly acceptable most everywhere (excluding religious conservative circles) now. Public opinion changes, and while some things were never ok, some things were part of the era. You can certainly consider them bad in retrospect, not everything needs to be covered with the mantle of love...but there's a difference between taking advantage of a position of power when it was considered the norm, versus now when it's very clearly bad.

IE, there is no virtue, only lack of opportunity.
No. Humans are assholes, and we'll all do shitty, selfish things we think we can get away with, and it's easier to get away with that shit if we have some measure of power.

Edit - I guess that's actually a yes.[DOUBLEPOST=1511992235,1511991776][/DOUBLEPOST]But there is virtue, too. The virtue comes from resisting the base human instinct and passing on the opportunity.

I mean, that's really the definition of virtue. Hell, it's the core concept of Christianity.

Gared, I've been sexually abused myself, for years. And I've already left this place once over being called a rape apologist. I have neither the will not the interest to go down that path again.
Holding slaves is horrible, despicable, and evil. Yet I believe we should judge someone who had slaves in 1750 differently from someone who has slaves in 2017.
I have video of my father in law blowing cigar smoke in my sister in law's face when she was an infant - back in the 60s. NOW we know that's wrong, and a video of a father doing that would be a sign they're a terrible father. Back then, some people may have been screaming about it, but if was still normal.
Morals and understanding evolve. That doesn't make things in the past acceptable, not does it mean they weren't bad or horrible for the victims, but the mindset and personality of the perpetrator are different.

And that's the last I'll say about it. I don't want to go further on this path of conversation, if you want to think me a horrible person, good for you, but I'm not responding again.

Except that none of these things have been the issue. These have been people in power using that to leverage it for groping, threatening, and abusing people they work with or are around.

Don't assume for me, because you are very, very wrong. I meant for him to be revealed as someone who abuses or assaults other people and you know it. No, I don't think in this current climate he'd get a pass. There's been a social change that not only are these behavoirs not acceptable (and honestly, they never were), but people aren't looking the other way anymore. You're never supposed to be putting your hands on someone without their consent is the minimum of acceptable behavior, and maybe people who can't figure that out SHOULD be ostracized. There is no job or position one can hold that entitles them to someone else's body.

Well, when's the inquisition coming for Uncle Joe, then, I guess?
I guess he wasn't afraid to cut the cake after all.

I have to say that some of this (not all of it, obviously) is starting to feel like the latest Crisis Of The Week, like steroids in baseball, or agricultural slavery...things which go on, are going on, have been going on, but suddenly become INTOLERABLE RABBLE RABBLE because they get into the crosshairs of the public eye.

--Patrick

You know what, I don't buy the "everyone is scum so whats it matter" philosophy. That sort of overwhelming cynicism is wrong, and gives cover to the truly bad people. Yeah there are a lot of shitty people doing shitty things, but saying "well that means literally everyone does it" even if there has never been a whiff of wrongdoing is lazy and damaging.

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, I can't even go off the grid for an hour for a doctor's appointment without things blowing up.

Bubble and Gared, I'd like to gently and politely suggest you both cool out a little, I think maybe things got a little out of hand and beyond the scope of what was being discussed.

Except that none of these things have been the issue. These have been people in power using that to leverage it for groping, threatening, and abusing people they work with or are around.
I guess we'll find out if that's the case when the lynching investigation of Garrison Keillor is finished.

Don't assume for me, because you are very, very wrong. I meant for him to be revealed as someone who abuses or assaults other people and you know it.
I... I thought that's what I said. That you had said you didn't want for him to have been involved in something like that. If that's not what came across, rest assured that is what I was trying to say. Granted, I said it in a very snide manner, reflecting my thoughts on the aforementioned Garrison Keillor developments.

No, I don't think in this current climate he'd get a pass.
See, and I'm not so sure. Pretty people (of both sexes) get a pass on doing things that unattractive people don't all the time. Especially when it comes to sexual advances.

You're never supposed to be putting your hands on someone without their consent is the minimum of acceptable behavior, and maybe people who can't figure that out SHOULD be ostracized. There is no job or position one can hold that entitles them to someone else's body.
Well, obviously. But there's what should happen and what does happen. And remember, even on official record, some people are too pretty for prison.

You know what, I don't buy the "everyone is scum so whats it matter" philosophy. That sort of overwhelming cynicism is wrong, and gives cover to the truly bad people. Yeah there are a lot of shitty people doing shitty things, but saying "well that means literally everyone does it" even if there has never been a whiff of wrongdoing is lazy and damaging.
Well, tongue was firmly planted in cheek when I typed it. I wasn't offering it as a serious assertion.

Last edited: