Higgs Boson has been confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay!

Of course, the only thing that is sure is that there is a new boson found at an energy compatible with the Higgs boson in the Standard Model (And also in SUperSYmmetry), but now we need to wait and see if its properties are the same as predicted for the Higgs boson in those theories. Or at least that's what I got from the press conference they held this morning and some online articles.

Still, this is pretty exciting :)

Dave

Staff member
The weirdest thing about this to me - and I do recognize the importance of the discovery - is what will Sheldon do on the Big Bang Theory now that his life's work has been invalidated?

Yay!

Of course, the only thing that is sure is that there is a new boson found at an energy compatible with the Higgs boson in the Standard Model (And also in SUperSYmmetry), but now we need to wait and see if its properties are the same as predicted for the Higgs boson in those theories. Or at least that's what I got from the press conference they held this morning and some online articles.

Still, this is pretty exciting :)
That was my understanding, too. I can't wait to hear more about the findings.

I can't wait to see what this discovery does for the field of Science Fiction.

Also, as an armchair scientist, I welcome public data from any and all apparati that I have no hope of ever being able to afford.

--Patrick
(and if you haven't you should check out the video I posted in the awesomevid thread, cuz I'm on iPod right now and can't repost it here)

Would you expect anything more from Yahoo? Seeing a science story top their news feed would be like a serious political commentary column in OK magazine.

Technically, we haven't found the "Mass Effect" yet, there are still many tests to be run.

Those tests will have three possible outcomes, which are all virtually the same but with different "colors", as we call them in particle physics.

That plus a couple of corrections down the road, and we'll finally have the most disappointing breakthrough in the story of everything.

Technically, we haven't found the "Mass Effect" yet, there are still many tests to be run.

Those tests will have three possible outcomes.
The best thing is that everything you wrote is actually true, up to this point. :D

Three possible outcomes: It's the Standard Model Higgs Boson, it's the Higgs Boson but it doesn't conform to the Standard Model, or it isn't the Higgs at all.

Stephen Hawking discusses the cost of finding the Higgs Boson

Note: Make sure to watch the video to the very end

GasBandit

Staff member
So the worst of all possible things are bronies with comic sans cutie marks.

And that I even know what that means makes me want to scrub out my cranial orifices with a wire brush.

And that I even know what that means makes me want to scrub out my cranial orifices with a wire brush.
No no, the worst thing would be bronies who are snobs about people using comic sans.

M

makare

you should because I didn't know that was what they were called. But then I looked it up and that is only something mentioned on friendship is magic. And I like to pretend that doesn't exist. So we are both safe.. for now.

GasBandit

Staff member
you should because I didn't know that was what they were called. But then I looked it up and that is only something mentioned on friendship is magic. And I like to pretend that doesn't exist. So we are both safe.. for now.
I play TF2 and visit 4chan occasionally. I can't get away from it. I'm... contaminated. But not infected, thank god.

Okay, how did someone find this page by searching for "yo mama higgs boson"?

For that matter, how would that joke even work? "Yo mama's like the Higgs Boson, she only turns up when there's a large hardon collider"?

fade

Staff member
561195_10151253484518986_1558141056_n.jpg

This was how July 4th went for every nerd out there who doesn't work in particle physics:
  1. Open news reader. See article about Higgs Boson.
  2. Notice many fellow science nerds excited about it.
  3. "What the fuck is a Higgs Boson?"
  4. Google/wiki Higgs Boson.
  5. Develop cursory understanding.
  6. Join in celebration with multiple other science nerds who all read same Wikipedia article.

Status
Not open for further replies.