[Announcement] HF Secret Santa 2011 - Send Gift (Deadline December 9th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous years were crazy fun: 2010 Secret Santa, 2009 Secret Santa

IF YOU PARTICIPATE YOU MUST OCCASIONALLY CHECK THIS THREAD, PARTICULARLY THIS POST, FOR UPDATES.

Current phase: Send gift
Current phase ends: December 9th

Next phase: Post images of gift you've received, deadline January 13th

Current Participants:
Tress
Hylian
makare
Jay
North_Ranger
Wahad
Officer_Charon
Phil
Cajungal
Gusto
Espy
Emrys
LittleSin
Sparhawk
Dirona
Gryfter
BananaHands
Dave
chibibar
Made Ya Blush
Bumble the Boy Wonder
gargoyle_eva
BErt
Piotyr
figmentPez
Terrik
PatrThom

What is it?
Just what it sounds like. It's a Secret Santa between your fellow halforumites. Everyone who signs up will be randomly assigned another participant. You are then tasked to buy that person a gift. As a recipient, you should leave a few hints in your signature or a post to this thread as to what sort of interests you have.

Rules and Info
  • International people are allowed. If you would prefer not to get an international person, indicate so when you sign up. It may be the case that if you restrict your choice to local shipping then matching might not work out and you may be left out - I'll let you know once the matching is complete if that's the case.
    -International Shipping Links: USPS, Customs Forms
    -Tips for shipping in and out of Canada
    -Remember to allow extra shipping time when shipping outside of your home country
  • To sign up post your interest in this thread and fill out this form:
    http://semiaxis.com/hf/
  • Who can sign up?
    To keep things fair, only those with a join date earlier than April 15 and more than a handful of posts will be allowed to participate for obvious reasons. If you would like to participate and don't fall under the requirements then you will just have to wait until next year. The final say of who can join this activity will be entirely up to Dave so there may be exceptions, but the final word is final. Don't complain if special dispensation is not made for you. This goes for those who may be disincluded as well.
  • The deadline for signing up will be Friday November 11th. After that day, Santas will be randomly assigned by computer. You will be sent an email shortly after with the information of whom you will be drawing a gift for. If nobody knows who you are, you probably will not be allowed to sign up. Nothing personal.
  • Recommended gift value is $5-20. Feel free to spend as much as you want, just be aware that the more you spend, the less likely you will receive a gift of equal value. Also, homemade/handmade gifts are allowed, and even encouraged (no homemade food please).
  • ABSOLUTE FINAL DEADLINE FOR GIFTS SENT IS JANUARY 13! PEOPLE WHO DO NOT SEND GIFTS BY JANUARY 13 WILL BE SUSPENDED BY THEIR BIG TOES AND LEFT TO DRY OUT IN THE COLD, DRY MICHIGAN WINTER. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are not sure you will be able to send a gift, then don't sign up.
  • Do not complain about your gift, conversely, try to send something you think the other person will like.
  • You MUST post pictures of your gift when you receive it. No exceptions.
  • UNLESS SPECIFIED AS SOMETHING THEY WOULD LIKE, PLEASE DO NOT SEND NSFW OR ALCOHOLIC GIFTS. Please note that many states/nations have rules about shipping alcohol, so when on doubt, choose another gift.
  • CAN I SHIP SOMETHING STRAIGHT FROM AMAZON OR SOMETHING?
    Yes you can, and it's a good idea to shop at your person's home country's Amazon site (www.amazon.ca for instance) if you want to save a bit on shipping. Be sure and provide a note upon checkout saying who you are, though!
  • BE SURE AND SHIP WELL IN ADVANCE
    Get your act together NOW and ship your stuff by Dec 9th to make sure it arrives before the crazy Christmas rush that always happens at the latter half of December.
Privacy Policy:
I've already destroyed all information collected for the previous two secret santas, and this year will be no exception. Your information will only be used for the purposes of assigning you a secret santa who is the only person who will receive your provided information in order to send you a gift. At the conclusion of this secret santa event, usually in January, all my own records concerning the secret santa will be destroyed.

M

makare

I think I'll try it this year. So make sure to really write what you like lol. I am a lousy gift picker if I don't have a clear idea of what people like.

All signed up. Should be fun!
Added at: 11:33
I think I'll try it this year. So make sure to really write what you like lol. I am a lousy gift picker if I don't have a clear idea of what people like.
I know how you feel. I thought we did well last year when people shared a little bit about things they like and don't like. We managed to keep it from being greedy or obnoxious (I want _____! I don't want anything else!).

I'm in!

I signed up, just pressed enter, got a blank page. Can you confirm you got my entry please?

Thanks.

Maybe I'll sign up this year, would be fun to imagine the expression on someone from here's face as they receive a box in the mail addressed from me....

I have 3 "dummy" post boxes I could use to receive a gift, so no worries there....

North_Ranger

Staff member
Signed up and ready to go gift-shopping... or if I'm bed-ridden, to delegate gift-shopping to a person of suitably geeky persuasion :p

If you don't appear in the list in the first post, sign up again.

If you want to update anything you submitted, just submit again and I'll delete your previous entry.

I'll update the list infrequently, so don't get anxious if you sign up and don't see your name up there instantly.

One of these years I will post more than lurk and actually sign up, but I think my continued lack o' posts makes me ineligable to join in the festivites. I do enjoy watching how this unfolds each year though.

I think he wants to make sure that it's people we know and who will probably not screw over their recipient.

I'd trust someone who signed up for the forums specifically for this way less than say, North Ranger.

One of these years I will post more than lurk and actually sign up, but I think my continued lack o' posts makes me ineligable to join in the festivites. I do enjoy watching how this unfolds each year though.
You are welcome to join. Anyone can see from your profile that you've been around long enough and participated enough to participate.

You are welcome to join. Anyone can see from your profile that you've been around long enough and participated enough to participate.

Yay! I'm one of the cool kids! And, ya, I've been lurking since before the move here; but never so much with the posting. In that case, off to the form!

Status
Not open for further replies.