Export thread

Hey Chicago! No Olympics for you!

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Second City no more

Chicago - First city to be eliminated for the 2016 Olympics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/8283061.stm

Dave

Dave

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

Tokyo is also eliminated, leaving only Rio de Janeiro and Madrid.

Take THAT, Oprah!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

http://www.halforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9720

Like, 3 posts down. :rofl:

Time to get those eyes examined again there old man!

Shakey

Shakey

Second City no more

But what about Ely, MN?

Dave

Dave

Second City no more

Damn you and your shitty subject lines!

Dave

Dave

http://www.halforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9720

Like, 3 posts down. :rofl:

Time to get those eyes examined again there old man!
Yeah, his subject line sucked ass and had nothing to do with the topic. How dumb of me.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Ouch

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Second City no more

So, Dave only reads subject lines. Good to know.

;)

Dave

Dave

Second City no more

So, Dave only reads subject lines. Good to know.

;)
I hadn't read this thread yet. But I looked at new posts and saw nothing about the Olympics, so I made it. When I did, nothing appeared in the "similar thread" warning.

*le sigh*

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Too bad the old regimes aren't in place on either side.

Mayor Daley Senior would have laid the money on thick and fast, and the IOC voters would have lapped it up.

But then the Chicago police would have beaten up the athletes mistaking them for hippies.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Second City no more

Understandable

Covar

Covar

Second City no more

but...but...Obama really wanted it there.

I think its fine for a president to try and get the Olympics into the United States, think it's wrong to do it because it's in their home town.

Dave

Dave

Second City no more

Don't mind me. I'm a bastard this morning. I got to bed late playing with the Sims and I'm grumpy as shit.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah, his subject line sucked ass and had nothing to do with the topic. How dumb of me.
Not my fault you don't read every single post made on the forums all day long....... :batman:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Second City no more

Don't mind me. I'm a bastard this morning. I got to bed late and I'm grumpy as shit.
How is this different than any other morning? I hear it comes with senility.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Second City no more

Perfectly good reason to be up late, resulting in being grumpy. There's a reason I don't play the Sims anymore. I'd like to continue to remain married.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Oh, but on topic, I hope Rio gets it.

General Specific

General Specific

Hey JCM! If Rio gets the games, can we come down & crash at your place?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Good. Chicago is corrupt as hell. They don't need another way to bankroll their mafioso ways.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If only Mike Royko were still around to document the last decade or so of Illinois shenanigans.

Chazwozel

Good. Chicago is corrupt as hell. They don't need another way to bankroll their mafioso ways.
I'd prefer Detroit. :rofl:

Iaculus

Ayup - it's Rio!

Qonas

With Chicago out it was gonna be Rio, so no shock there.

I'd prefer Detroit. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

Suburban Detroit, sure, but the city itself is still trying to clean itself up from the Coleman Young/Kwame Kilpatrick-Chicago-style corruption and decay. Which may never happen as the citizens of the city are insulated, clan-mentalitied morons.

Chazwozel

With Chicago out it was gonna be Rio, so no shock there.

I'd prefer Detroit. :rofl:
Suburban Detroit, sure, but the city itself is still trying to clean itself up from the Coleman Young/Kwame Kilpatrick-Chicago-style corruption and decay. Which may never happen as the citizens of the city are insulated, clan-mentalitied morons.[/QUOTE]

That was the joke. Detriot's a shithole.

Qonas

Telling you, though, make it suburban Detroit....possibly Auburn Hills, since the Palace is there, or Novi with two different gigantic convention centers....and we'll throw one hell of an event. It just wouldn't be Detroit-Detroit.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

yeah, Rio, a paragon of virtue compared to Chicago.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Should have had them in Barstow

Kitty Sinatra

Second City no more

I think its fine for a president to try and get the Olympics into the United States, think it's wrong to do it because it's in their home town.
Do you really think - as you seem to imply - that Chicago was the American city in the running because of Obama? Cause, y'know, the city's been in the running for those Olympics since before Obama's election campaign started.

In other words, you're bringing up a complete non-issue.

Covar

Covar

Second City no more

Do you really think - as you seem to imply - that Chicago was the American city in the running because of Obama? Cause, y'know, the city's been in the running for those Olympics since before Obama's election campaign started.

In other words, you're bringing up a complete non-issue.[/QUOTE]
I know its been in the running, I just don't think he should have went since it is his hometown. It gives the impression of the President giving favoritism to his hometown and homestate. Ask yourself this, would he have gone if Omaha was the city in the running?

Kitty Sinatra

Yes, he would have. Every country in the running sends their big names to make a final push.

Krisken

Krisken

Second City no more

In other words, you're bringing up a complete non-issue.[/quote]
I know its been in the running, I just don't think he should have went since it is his hometown. It gives the impression of the President giving favoritism to his hometown and homestate. Ask yourself this, would he have gone if Omaha was the city in the running?[/QUOTE]
I just want to be sure I'm reading this right. Obama shouldn't have been involved because it would be important to him. Is that the gist of it?

Sounds kinda nit-picky and silly to me.

Iaculus

Second City no more

In other words, you're bringing up a complete non-issue.[/QUOTE]
I know its been in the running, I just don't think he should have went since it is his hometown. It gives the impression of the President giving favoritism to his hometown and homestate. Ask yourself this, would he have gone if Omaha was the city in the running?[/QUOTE]

It's the frakkin' Olympics. Why wouldn't he?

I mean, seriously, the whole damned competition's about national pride.

Kitty Sinatra

And I've just been confirming some shit on the web. Brazil's president was indeed there doing the exact same thing as Obama. And get this: Dude's not from Rio.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And how would it have looked to the IOC if he'd been the only head of state of a candidate city to *not* show up?

JCM

Hey JCM! If Rio gets the games, can we come down & crash at your place?
We got the olympics.

And the world cup.

And we´re lending the International Monetary Fund money instead of borrowing it to them.

This is what happens to a country when you have 3 good presidents in a row (Itamar, FHC, Lula), now pray for me guys that the next one doesnt fuck it up and makes me leave it again.

Otherwise, I might become your neighbor.

General Specific

General Specific

Soooo, can we crash at your place in 2016 or not?

:)

JCM

Depends, how good are you at climbing treehouses, avoiding STDs and fighting off killer rabid monkeys?

Iaculus

Depends, how good are you at climbing treehouses, avoiding STDs and fighting off killer rabid monkeys?[/QUOTE]

... Eh, two out of three ain't bad.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

yeah, Rio, a paragon of virtue compared to Chicago.
I didn't compare. I just stated that Chicago has been corrupt for a loooooonnngg time, and I don't want to see money going to more union thugs and/or corrupt politicians. It may be a problem where ever it goes, but fuck Chicago. I don't anything against the everyday joe there.

JCM

As corrupt as Chicago is, it aint 10% as bad as Rio.

It´ll be hilarious to bet on how many athletes will find that their luggage has mysteriously disappeared that day, and how many gang assalts will happen on the beach.

Depends, how good are you at climbing treehouses, avoiding STDs and fighting off killer rabid monkeys?[/QUOTE]

... Eh, two out of three ain't bad.[/QUOTE]So you climb trees while fighting off monkeys, or do you avoid STDs when you are with the killer monkeys?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Most of my international friends keep telling me this. That the US is far less corrupt than most other governments, but it still irks me. Nepotism and Cronyism is par for course for most governments, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or support it.

Iaculus

It´ll be hilarious to bet on how many athletes will find that their luggage has mysteriously disappeared that day, and how many gang assalts will happen on the beach.

Depends, how good are you at climbing treehouses, avoiding STDs and fighting off killer rabid monkeys?
... Eh, two out of three ain't bad.[/QUOTE]So you climb trees while fighting off monkeys, or do you avoid STDs when you are with the killer monkeys?[/QUOTE]

It's the treehouses that always get me. No sense of balance.

Alucard

I'll sure to bring only a carry on luggage then

ElJuski

ElJuski

hey thanks for reminding me, thread