[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
The new patch is live. (This does not mean the expansion is out.)

Good news: There are 10 new daily quests.
Bad news: All the quests revolve around wins. Get 5 wins in Tavern Brawl (60g), or get 3 wins as a specific class (50g).

Other notable errata: Fel Reaver's card text has been changed so that it doesn't say "discard" anymore.

Other notable errata: Fel Reaver's card text has been changed so that it doesn't say "discard" anymore.
This is because some of the new warlock cards have effects that trigger upon discarding, and they wanted it to be clear that fel reaver's effect doesn't activate that.

Oh god, the joust deck in Tavern Brawl is so out matched by the inspire deck, unless you get really lucky with your joust cards, (which I do not).

I think for the most part they are evenly matched. The inspire deck seems to win off tempo. So getting a 1, 2, 3 etc drop out there can win them the game but stopping and using the hero power before turn 5 can allow the jousting deck to make a come back. The jousting deck just has a much higher quality card set so if they can take tempo away from the inspire deck and make it to the late game then they have a pretty high chance of winning even with bad jousts.

figmentPez

Staff member
I have a 100% win rate with both mage and hunter. (After two games.)

I'm going to keep playing, though. I'm enjoying myself. Even if hunter proves to be weaker, it still seems like a fun deck to play.

The hunter one feels strong because hunter and the mage one feels strong because the cards can still be played on curve even if you aren't getting full value out of them.

This sentence doesn't make any sense... am I having a stroke?
Maybe!

The hunter deck is still good because you have cards like summon a random huffer and "do X to face" cards. The mage deck is fine because you have a 3 mana 3/2 that might get better but probably wont and a 3/3 for 3 that might get better but probably wont etc. Just having solid minions that pass the vanilla test is still an ok-ish deck that can capitalize on your opponents mistakes or counter overly aggressive play

Maybe!

The hunter deck is still good because you have cards like summon a random huffer and "do X to face" cards. The mage deck is fine because you have a 3 mana 3/2 that might get better but probably wont and a 3/3 for 3 that might get better but probably wont etc. Just having solid minions that pass the vanilla test is still an ok-ish deck that can capitalize on your opponents mistakes or counter overly aggressive play
Oh, ok, I see what you were saying now. The hunter deck is strong, because hunter. Commas are important :p

But the hunter deck isn't strong. It is far weaker than the mage deck. It's built as a control deck with a skew towards late-game minions, so that it wins jousts more often, but has no proper early game removal to survive the better paced mid-range mage deck. Its only viable 2 drop is King's Elek, and if you aren't lucky enough to draw one of those, you're stuck playing a freezing trap or snipe on turn 2, or simply playing nothing and letting the mage overrun you.

But hey, at least you have Cobra Shot! ... one of the worst cards in the game. They could have made that power shot, showed off yet another new card, and the deck wouldn't be quite so terrible.

Reactions: Dei

figmentPez

Staff member
Unleash the Hounds into Brawl is a fun combo. I was facing a nasty board of two Frost Giants, a Maiden of the Lake, a Coldarra Drake, and a couple other minor creatures, and my hound won the Brawl. I took the game pretty easily after that.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Grand Tournament is out in NA!

My first TGT pack:
Screenshot_2015-08-24-12-54-13.jpg

I am underwhelmed. Hopefully future packs will turn out better.

Last edited:
Man, I made an arena deck, which ended up being mostly 1-3 cost cards because I got shit for luck on that front, and I still got expensive cards as my opening hand. GG random luck.