[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

Hopefully they answer my tech question.

I updated my drivers, uninstalled and cleared out all data for both battle.net and Hearthstone and reinstalled. Still crashes every time. Bums me out. I've been on a major card game kick with M:TG both in game form and real life.

Excellent.

I reached the point where I was worried all my effort collecting cards would be for naught. Now I can go full bore into the game again without worry.

So nice getting freebie beta keys from fans! WOOP.

Battle.net is a complete piece of shit.

Haven't been able to even play Hearthstone yet and I become one of the ever increasing mass of people afflicted with the BLZBNTBGS80000011 error.

Yeah, but my beta test has consisted of "This doesn't work." followed by "This also doesn't work"

Right now, Battle.net is shit.

No, it actually really isn't. I appologize that you're having problems with it, but if it were actually shit, we'd all be having issues.

I was just looking around tonight in Hearthstone, won and lost a few games. Decided to check out the store to see how it worked.

When I looked down I noticed it said we would get a special gift if we use the store during the beta, so I bought a cheap double deck. This was my gift.

Also, one of my packs had a Legendary.

Can't wait to give them a whirl.

The gold Mekkatorque is the special gift, everyone that buys a pack with real money during the beta gets one of them. The other you were just really lucky on :p

I was watching Day[9] on his YouTube chanel and he had insanely powerful decks with almost exclusively legendary cards. It was insane. Though, to be fair, it looked like people with simple decks could still hold their own even against that insanely powerful deck.

I was watching Day[9] on his YouTube chanel and he had insanely powerful decks with almost exclusively legendary cards. It was insane. Though, to be fair, it looked like people with simple decks could still hold their own even against that insanely powerful deck.
Legendaries are good, but not always game winners. I still don't like constructed though. Only play it during daily quests to keep running Arena matches.

Watching the 2P Hearthstone Constructed tournament only solidified this feeling. The only Legendary really used in serious constructed play at the moment is Sylvanas.

Legendaries are good, but not always game winners. I still don't like constructed though. Only play it during daily quests to keep running Arena matches.

Watching the 2P Hearthstone Constructed tournament only solidified this feeling. The only Legendary really used in serious constructed play at the moment is Sylvanas.
Ysera and Ragnaros are also pretty good.

The legendary cards aren't OP. They're usually situational, and are best when you build around whatever weird effect they provide.

The sneakiest thing he was doing was that he had only legendaries and Alarm bots on a druid deck with a bunch of spells. He would just use the alarm bots to bring in his legendaries on, like the third turn.

The sneakiest thing he was doing was that he had only legendaries and Alarm bots on a druid deck with a bunch of spells. He would just use the alarm bots to bring in his legendaries on, like the third turn.
I pretty much treat an Alarm O Bot on the board as if it were a Legendary already. Aka Kill On Sight no matter what.

A lot of the key to arena is knowing what strong neutral cards to pick (since you can't always pick specific class cards) and knowing how to manage your mana curve. Sometimes you have to turn down that really good 4 drop just because you have too many already.

I built my deck with a bunch of buffing neutral mobs, like Dire Wolf Alpha, and the leveling adventurer. I also have some shaman specific buffs like the flame totem, and windfury. I've only lost one match with it so far. If they get a whole bunch of minions out early, I don't have a ton of clearence.

Started playing my Rogue deck through the practice rounds. I SUCK at playing a rogue.
Rogue and Warrior have the same issue, they're rush heavy due to having to do alot of creature elimination through weapons which quickly reduces their total health. Get a slow start or get AoE wiped during your rush and it's hard to recover.

On the contrary, I feel like rogue and warrior are my strongest decks. Weapons, especially on the warrior, may reduce your health, but they are awesome minion removal for cheap that can be used multiple turns, instantly giving you a minion and a card advantage.

Basically, you spend 2 mana and one card to equip a fiery war axe, and can then eliminate two of the opponents minions, one on that same turn. That's huge value (if you don't get oozed) and puts you at immediate advantage. It's basically the same thing as a warlock lifetapping to gain a card advantage.

My rogue deck sucks, but I feel like it fits the rogue theme of being 'tricky,' so I welcome anyone to play against it and beat me horribly.

On the contrary, I feel like rogue and warrior are my strongest decks. Weapons, especially on the warrior, may reduce your health, but they are awesome minion removal for cheap that can be used multiple turns, instantly giving you a minion and a card advantage.

Basically, you spend 2 mana and one card to equip a fiery war axe, and can then eliminate two of the opponents minions, one on that same turn. That's huge value (if you don't get oozed) and puts you at immediate advantage. It's basically the same thing as a warlock lifetapping to gain a card advantage.

My rogue deck sucks, but I feel like it fits the rogue theme of being 'tricky,' so I welcome anyone to play against it and beat me horribly.
Everything you described is exactly what I said. Early game rush. ;)

Rogue is pretty solid - the hero ability lets you remove creatures like the mage's, you only have to pay for it every other turn, and damage to your hero only matters if you're not winning on the board. Combo cards and weapons with the early advantage can win a lot of games.

Warrior is less good - the hero ability is pretty much a worse priest heal since it can't affect your minions, and it just doesn't have the impact of an ability that can affect the board. Weapons are good, and there are some good aggro class cards, but the deck has a hard time building enough synergy - and I say that as someone who was winning 50-60% of games at two star master constructed with a warrior deck before the ranked rework. Mage, warlock, rogue, druid, shaman, paladin are all just a lot better than warrior given the same quality of cards, and priest is probably a wash.

That said, I'd really like for them to make a balance pass to try to get the top couple decks brought down and hunter brought up, see how that impacts things. Also if they'd fix the arena bug that has me stuck on the rewards screen, I'd appreciate that too.

It doesn't have to be early game rush. Those same things can be used for board control to build to a late game deck
If you don't use it for early game rush, you get beaten in the early game, that's the downfall. Rogue and Warrior lack serious late game cards/minions. Maybe I'm wrong but I watch about 2hrs of meta game streaming a day and have yet to see a Warrior or Rogue deck win against the Mage Stall, Paladin Survival, Warlock Rush or Druid taunt survival decks.

I do feel like mages are overpowered right now, and I feel like it's because of ice block. Most classes have no way of counteracting spells or secrets, so a mage stall deck can get you to low health, ice block themselves into immunity, and then just fireball/pyroblast/frost bolt/ice lance you to death.

The issue is much less ice block and more with the hyper-efficient direct damage plus aoe removal and freezes. The mage deck works perfectly well without ice blocks, at least before everyone started playing decks to counter it.

The issue is much less ice block and more with the hyper-efficient direct damage plus aoe removal and freezes. The mage deck works perfectly well without ice blocks, at least before everyone started playing decks to counter it.
True, it's a perfect storm of efficiency, but every time I've played against one, I've lost due to ice block. They'll stall until they can get their wombo combo out, I'll whittle them down to around 8 health, and then they'll ice block for two turns while they blow me to pieces with damage that I have no way to stop.

So after playing some more tonight, against so many mages (seems like 80% of my opponents were mages) I've decided what's really unlikable about the mage stall/freeze deck.

Not only is it overpowered. Not only is it very hard to counter, it's just downright unfun to play against.

Most of the turns all of your units are frozen, only to be frozen again next turn. It's boring, plain and simple.

Most other decks I lose against, I at least have fun while doing it. There's strategy, there's contemplation, there's wonder... if I play this, and this, then if he doesn't have this, maybe this...

Not so against the stall deck. You just sit, and wait, and lose.

It's like a control deck from MTG. You lose, slowly and without any sort of fun. Just dreadful.
I know it's still a beta, so it's not all doom and gloom yet. Maybe it'll get balanced.

Right now, it's mostly due to the strength of freeze being unavoidable, direct damage spells (which the mage is known for, so that's ok, just becomes op with everything else) being unavoidable except by other mages, and secrets having no counter outside of one hunter-specific card that is so bad and situational that no one ever uses it.

If there were more options in countering these things, then everything would be fine.

@Ravenpoe - There really isn't much that can be done without massive card revisions on stuff like Ice Block or Alextraza (Personally I'd like to see Alex revised to only affect the caster). Those are really the two cards the prevent a win. Sure the freeze and burn is a bit annoying but with a couple of heal cards in your own deck, it's easy enough to survive. We'll see what happens but I'm very sure the stall/freeze deck will get nerfed somehow.

@Frank - Reminds me of the Kismet or Squirrel Deck days. Ugh.

Ok I just got in this weekend and so far it is pretty fun. Against most opponents it feels very strategic with guessing how much they are willing to sacrifice to keep board control and playing around it. I've been playing a paladin deck and winning most of my matches. I play a lot of recruits and with all the buffs I have I always force out there big crowd control early leaving my late game creatures to wreck or my buffed up recruits. I've ended so many matches with a recruit buffed up to 8+ attack that they left on the board because it was a 1/1. So far the only trouble I've been having are with warlocks and the health priests. Last game against a priest I thought I was doing good but then he played a mogushan warrior which next turn got turned into a 28/28 beast. The warlocks I only have a chance to win if I get a consecrate in my opening hand. I think a silence or that card that turns minions health to one would fix most of my problems but I don't own any of those cards yet.

Anyway I'm looking forward to trying out the arena once I get used to playing a few more classes besides the paladin.

Yeah, inner fire plus divine spirit is a hard combo to beat. Thats why there are always negations in decks, such as silences, dispells, hexes, etc. The Shaman deck I've been running is based almost entirely on synergy buffs. the problem with those kinds of decks is that you have to be lucky enough to draw the right cards at the right time.

Also, every deck should have Ironbeak owls in them. Instant silence on summon.