[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

As someone who plays the game occasionally...
...who cares about the game boards? They have no effect on the game, nor my enjoyment of it!

--Patrick

I get if they're going to move the squishy corrupted board (with all its eyes and tentacles) to Wild when the Old Gods set gets retired, but which board is displayed has never made any difference to me, because they make no difference to the gameplay.
...and if they do make any sort of difference to the gameplay (chance to draw x? RNG?), well then I'm gonna get upset.

--Patrick

I get if they're going to move the squishy corrupted board (with all its eyes and tentacles) to Wild when the Old Gods set gets retired, but which board is displayed has never made any difference to me, because they make no difference to the gameplay.
...and if they do make any sort of difference to the gameplay (chance to draw x? RNG?), well then I'm gonna get upset.

--Patrick
It doesn't have any gameplay difference, but the change in aesthetics is enjoyable to many people who are not you.

If they want to move things to Wild, fine, it's the illogical nature of it that bugs me. They're going to make certain older maps Wild-exclusive ... but then make it so that more recent maps appear more frequently in Wild? Those two things work against each other. What's the point?

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm just puzzled as to why now, and why make the older boards less common in wild. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

If they really want to make a change to the board system, why not let people choose which boards show up for them?

It doesn't have any gameplay difference, but the change in aesthetics is enjoyable to many people who are not you.
I don't "hate" the aesthetics of a board at all. I just don't see the point aside from making games visually different. Nobody has ever said to me, "That's great that you held onto a Shadow Word: Death for that long, but...what board were you guys playing on? How many times did you shoot the catapult?"
Therefore, because they have no influence on the gameplay, why "retire" some of them? Why vary the rarity at all? The only reason they exist is as a functional substitute for something like this:
busybaby.jpg

In other words, it's just there to give fidgety players something to click on while their opponent thinks. Pez' idea makes more sense, let a player choose their favorite board(s), let them decorate their playfield their preferred way.

--Patrick

I don't "hate" the aesthetics of a board at all. I just don't see the point aside from making games visually different. Nobody has ever said to me, "That's great that you held onto a Shadow Word: Death for that long, but...what board were you guys playing on? How many times did you shoot the catapult?"
Therefore, because they have no influence on the gameplay, why "retire" some of them? Why vary the rarity at all? The only reason they exist is as a functional substitute for something like this:
View attachment 24322
In other words, it's just there to give fidgety players something to click on while their opponent thinks. Pez' idea makes more sense, let a player choose their favorite board(s), let them decorate their playfield their preferred way.

--Patrick
I get that you don't care. Other people do because it varies the look of different matches. Or some of them do want stuff to click on. I also don't see a point in retiring them; I'm just trying to get you to understand that while it isn't something you care about and you might be just as happy, if not happier, to play on a plain white screen besides the cards, that isn't the opinion shared by others.

I agree, they should let us choose. But to quote r/hearthstone batche of excuses

- the technology isn't there
- too confusing to new players
- they're just a small indie developer
- deck slots

You watch they try selling board types later the way they sell hero portraits. That'd certainly explain this nonsense.

You watch they try selling board types later the way they sell hero portraits. That'd certainly explain this nonsense.
I did consider that this is what it could indicate. I didn't say it out loud because I didn't want to give them any ideas.

--Patrick

Wow, I was coming in to celebrate pulling Elise from the latest Un'goro pack, the first really good legendary I've pulled (Shaman Quest first, then Hunter Quest for my second), but then I decided to check the math on my number of cards to see if I can reverse engineer it and figure out how many Un'goro packs I've opened. That turned out to be even more exciting. I have about 150 un'goro cards currently, and while I've dusted a fair number of extra ones, I have a hard time seeing how it could be more than 50. Which would mean I've gotten 3 legendaries in my first 40-ish packs. :eek:

figmentPez

Staff member
And he's already spent 100,000 dust crafting golden cards.

EDIT: 8 more minutes, and it's up to 300,000 dust spent.

Last edited:
It was very uneventful. He hit the button and nothing happened for a couple minutes, then the game crashed. When he came back in it was all disenchanted (except for about 40 dust worth of cards)
That's kind of what I expected, but it's the principle of the thing :p. One minute, it was 11:00 PM at my computer, the next it was 1:00 AM in the bathroom. I have no memory of the intervening time or how I got from one place to the other, but I assume I was asleep. All I know is I missed it.

As long as everyone can get back into Hearthstone, it's all good.

That's kind of what I expected, but it's the principle of the thing :p. One minute, it was 11:00 PM at my computer, the next it was 1:00 AM in the bathroom. I have no memory of the intervening time or how I got from one place to the other, but I assume I was asleep. All I know is I missed it.

It'll be on YouTube, so you too can witness the disappointment.

Were you on the toilet, or just standing in the bathroom? I'd be more concerned that you appear to be sleepwalking.

Newly discovered bug makes it so if you can die and gain armor in the same turn, you become invincible.

People are now building decks to exploit this.

I friggin fell asleep!
Yeah, me too. I completely forgot about it and went to bed at 9:30. Shoulda set an alarm or something.
Newly discovered bug makes it so if you can die and gain armor in the same turn, you become invincible.
People are now building decks to exploit this.
This sounds like one of those things that Blizzard might ban you for, though. Abusing what is clearly a bug, and all that.

--Patrick

Yeah, me too. I completely forgot about it and went to bed at 9:30. Shoulda set an alarm or something.

This sounds like one of those things that Blizzard might ban you for, though. Abusing what is clearly a bug, and all that.

--Patrick
From what I've read, banning for big abuse has only been happening in Overwatch. Though that could just be the Hearthstone community wanting to look more put-upon.

We should all take bets on how long it takes them to patch, and whether they'll ever fix the log out issue.

I've spent the last month playing Paladin in Wild, so this made me laugh more than maybe it should have.

This song is still stuck in my head, and everyone else in my house's head.[DOUBLEPOST=1496624347,1496624312][/DOUBLEPOST]

Rumors and theories are a-swirling about the next expansion's theme. There's some reaching, such as over card backs, with the only smoking gun coming from Blizzard having taken ownership of a title. Now, it could be for the far off future, or for WoW, who knows. I'll just put the name in spoilers in case it turns out real.

Return of the Lich King

Rumors and theories are a-swirling about the next expansion's theme. There's some reaching, such as over card backs, with the only smoking gun coming from Blizzard having taken ownership of a title. Now, it could be for the far off future, or for WoW, who knows. I'll just put the name in spoilers in case it turns out real.

Return of the Lich King
As far as WoW is concerned, he never left. I run daily missions for him

And if you want to get technical, he's already a card in HS, albeit in wild.

Bolvar is the current Lich King

But they're probably talking about that other guy.