[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

Hell yeah, fuck the casuals. This isn't sarcasm, I mean it. I really enjoyed the heroic brawl and I'm looking forward to this one. I had hoped it would be the wild one, but it seems they're saving that for after the expansion hits.

I don't disagree that it makes more sense for Blizzard to cater to the people who actually give them money, but standard heroic brawl is just going to be Shamanstone for $10 a pop instead of free.

This is the last month that Shamanstone will be as powerful as it has been, so they should take advantage of it while they can.[DOUBLEPOST=1488515254,1488515069][/DOUBLEPOST]I realize I never posted my battle tag.

EvilEsc#1523

I don't disagree that it makes more sense for Blizzard to cater to the people who actually give them money, but standard heroic brawl is just going to be Shamanstone for $10 a pop instead of free.
What made it so interesting last time, which was when shaman was arguably more powerful than it is now, was the meta that formed purely for heroic brawl. You had shaman decks, and then you had people making decks targeting shaman decks, and then people countering the counters

Through assorted events, I ended up gaining access to the temp account I'd made a couple years ago. I just wanted to see what pitiable decks I'd made in that month or so, but first I had to do the welcome back challenge. This earns three classic packs--did that quick, glanced at my collection, was surprised the number of GvG cards, but otherwise nothing notable.

Then I opened the packs on this account I'm never going to use because it's so far behind my real account.

Alexstraza. Blizz, why? Really, why?

Up to 2300 gold and I'm wondering if I should really be dropping all of this on the expansion when I already pre-ordered the 50 pack bundle. Estimating that I might have 3500-4000 gold by the time Un'Goro releases, I have to question if I'm really going to need 85-90 packs, aka 450 cards of it. Maybe I should be buying more classic packs.

And don't tell me to play arena. I suck at arena. That's just who I am.

You certainly won't have all the cards you want after 50 packs, but since your account is still pretty new, I agree with buying more of other packs.

When buying packs, I prefer to buy the oldest ones first (assuming I'm still missing a lot from that set), just because it's always cheaper to get cards from packs than from dust.

--Patrick

I should go to crafting and see. If I have less than 50 percent of classic, I'll throw 2000 toward classic.
Don't craft any commons you don't absolutely need. Crafting them is the absolute least efficient way to spend dust. Also, they're called "commons" for a reason if you're going to buy any packs.

--Patrick

Don't craft any commons you don't absolutely need. Crafting them is the absolute least efficient way to spend dust. Also, they're called "commons" for a reason if you're going to buy any packs.

--Patrick
I'm only using the crafting screen in this instance to see what I don't have; no worries.

Okay, so I looked it over.

I'm missing 48 classic cards. Most of these are epics and legendaries. I think my biggest gap is that I'm missing two crucial warrior cards, Brawl and Shield Slam.

24 of those 48 are legendaries. I'm missing every class legendary except Tirion Fordring. The only neutral legendaries I have are Lorewalker Cho, Leeroy, Sylvanas, Ysera, Deathwing, and Malygos.

Based on that information, do you guys think there's much value in my throwing gold for another 20 classic packs, especially since Millhouse Mana-ass just reset my pity counter, or am I good to go since the odds of getting legendaries is pretty low and that's largely what I'm missing?

EDIT: And if I don't get more classic packs, should I save these for the new one or is it worthwhile to buy Old Gods packs? I've only bought three of those in the past, mainly to get certain Warlock common cards I was lucky enough to actually get.

What Old Gods cards would you be hoping to get?
N'Zoth? :p I mean, is buying packs for individual specific cards even a good idea?

You should accumulate enough dust to craft a legendary of your choice every 13-14 packs purchased, assuming you don't fill any gaps (i.e., keep anything) and dust everything you get. More if you fill gaps (but filling gaps is what you want, right?).

--Patrick
My packs are most often 40-dusters, so 40 x 14 = 560, so about a third of a legendary. But I guess you mean I should have enough classic that I'm getting decent dust for a group of packs rather than cards I don't have?

figmentPez

Staff member
N'Zoth? :p I mean, is buying packs for individual specific cards even a good idea?
If that's the only card from WotOG that you want but don't have, then save the gold for the new expansion, or buy classic packs since there are more legendaries there that you want.

My packs are most often 40-dusters, so 40 x 14 = 560, so about a third of a legendary. But I guess you mean I should have enough classic that I'm getting decent dust for a group of packs rather than cards I don't have?
No, I mean that according to the odds, you will occasionally get golden cards, multiple rares, epics, etc. such that your actual amount of dust should average out to be just over 100/pack. By that logic, it should actually take 16 packs (on average) to build a legendary, but I was assuming you had some leftover dust to start with.
For those playing along at home, yes that means that on average you can convert gold into dust at almost a 1:1 ratio.

--Patrick

If that's the only card from WotOG that you want but don't have, then save the gold for the new expansion, or buy classic packs since there are more legendaries there that you want.
No, I mean that according to the odds, you will occasionally get golden cards, multiple rares, epics, etc. such that your actual amount of dust should average out to be just over 100/pack. By that logic, it should actually take 16 packs (on average) to build a legendary, but I was assuming you had some leftover dust to start with.
For those playing along at home, yes that means that on average you can convert gold into dust at almost a 1:1 ratio.

--Patrick
Okay, I'm gonna put some of the gold toward classic and I'll even track dust value just for posterity. I don't plan to craft anything until I save up 3200 so I can make a gold Ragnaros or Sylvanas, get the credit when they rotate to wild, and then dust for a free 1600. But it sounds still like classic is the way to go.

I appreciate your help, guys. Thank you.

20 classic packs.
Dust value total: 1,465
New cards: 6 rares, 4 epics (counting ones I only had one of)

Not bad at all; better than I usually do.

I have been "Waiting for Authorization" for the purchase of the final wing of Karazhan for literally > 30min now.
That combo at the 6 minute mark...
I thought this one was pretty nice, too.

EDIT: I finally just force quit it at an hour and tried again. It completed in about 4 seconds BLZ PLZ.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I have been "Waiting for Authorization" for the purchase of the final wing of Karazhan for literally > 30min now.

I thought this one was pretty nice, too.

EDIT: I finally just force quit it at an hour and tried again. It completed in about 4 seconds BLZ PLZ.

--Patrick
Blizzard was having a problem with their servers earlier, I ran into the same problem buying un'goro pre-purchase

I ended up using cash to buy 15 Old Gods packs just for the hell of it.

Three legendaries. Boogeymonster, Herald Volazj, and Ragnaros Lightlord. Nothing like that ever happens for me with this game.

Can't say that any more, can you?
Of course, you did get Boogeymonster, so...eh.

--Patrick
Okay, let's try again ... Guys, I got Herald Volazj, Ragnaros Lightlord, and 400 dust on the side--what a night!

You're right, I can't say that anymore, though last night when I was opening up the classic packs, my wife couldn't help herself.

Wife: It sounds weird.
Me: Why?
Wife: I keep expecting the innkeeper to say "Golden common!" and "Golden rare!" like when I open mine.

THANKS SWEETIE. YOU'RE A PEACH.

Two things:

1) Regarding the free dust you will get...some sites are saying your dust will be prioritized towards your most valuable cards, so if you have Rag + GRag, you're only going to get the dust for GRag, since you can only have 1 Rag total in your deck. Similarly if you have 2xAzure + 2xGAzure, you'll only get dust for the 2xGAzure. However, if you have 2xAzure and 1xGAzure, you'll get the dust for 1xReg + 1xGold since you could have 2 total.

2) Looks like prices are being hiked outside North America, ostensibly to bring currency values in line with one another. But it's not a cash grab, we swear.

--Patrick

You can only get single deck's value and gold gets priority.

So I've crafted golden rag and golden sylv. I never had a rag and I'll get 3200 back for him. I already had a regular sylv so she won't amount to any dust, but the golden one will.

Aaaand you just made me realize it was pointless for me to make golden sylv. I'll get 3200 back, then dust her for 1600. Except I would've gotten 1600 for regular sylv. Only in rag's case am I actually making a dust profit since I never had a rag in the first place. The only advantage is getting to play using a golden sylv for the last month she'll be viable in standard.

My wife has two golden power overwhelming that she got from packs; easy 800 dust. Probably 900 since she'll then dust them after rotation; she's still in that "I hate warlock, I think handbuff hunter is a good idea" phase.

Last edited:
I didn't have any azure drakes, so I crafted a pair at the end of February.
Since then I think I've pulled at least three from packs. :facepalm:

--Patrick