[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

Unless you're talking about Arena you're probably in a much harder group bracket now.
And just remember, the packs you're getting now aren't any worse than the ones you used to get, you just need fewer and fewer cards so the packs feel worse.

Last 8 packs have been all common and 1 blue. That's pretty bad odds from what I've seen.

You're probably right about the brackets being harder, even if I'm just playing in the open play group.

Last 8 packs have been all common and 1 blue. That's pretty bad odds from what I've seen.

You're probably right about the brackets being harder, even if I'm just playing in the open play group.
Open play is where your wins overall put you into harder brackets. You're more likely to play harder opponents in casual vs ranked depending on your total wins vs current rank.

figmentPez

Staff member
And just remember, the packs you're getting now aren't any worse than the ones you used to get, you just need fewer and fewer cards so the packs feel worse.
I dunno, I've had streaks where every pack had more than one Rare or better. The best pack I've had contained two Epics and a Rare. Having a streak of getting four commons for too long would suck.

figmentPez

Staff member
My current Druid arena deck is 5 - 0. I think I'm getting good at this. I imagine I'll hit the same wall I did with my last Mage deck, maybe sooner. I've got a lot of quality minions, but I have zero AoE. I have a lot more taunt, though. I might post my deck list tomorrow if I have more time. Choices were a lot tougher for this deck, and it has some weird spikes on the mana curve. I took an Ironbeak Owl just to have more 2 drops over a huge spike at 5. So far it's been useful to have a cheap silence, but who knows.

Oddly enough my closest match came fighting a Rogue who coined into his hero power the first turn, and proceeded to use both charges on my face. No deadly poison, nothing. Just two damage out of the coin. Got me down to 13 before I had him to 20, but then my heavy taunt started coming out, and he just couldn't follow through to the end. He might have had me with some crazy Leroy combo, but he couldn't knock down my last 12 health.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh my goodness, I'm laughing so hard it hurts. TotalBiscuit's latest Lord of the Gimmick's video is fantastic. I don't want to spoil anything, but the ridiculous series of events that goes down when he starts playing the Randuinn Wrynn deck. It is a whole heaping load of nonsense, and it just keeps getting better. Skip to about 24:15 if you want to get straight to that hilarious match, though the gameplay with his secrets Mage is pretty fun, too.

I love my druid deck:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_3.18.2014.17.05.33.png
But I still love my Priest deck the most:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_3.17.2014.21.43.28.png
I nearly everytime have multiple Ysera's with it!

Had a super close game against a Priest deck this morning. We were constantly back and forth, knocking each other down and removing things like Giants and Ragnaros. At one point he was super lucky to pull a Ragnaros from my deck with a Thoughtsteal. I got him down to 4 while I was at 12, and on his turn he put down that guy where he can set someone's life to 15. I had a Fire Elemental and... um... something smaller, not enough to deal lethal damage. That is, until I drew into the Bloodlust. Played it and took the guy out. Super close game!

Ok so I got Gruul in a pack recently. I built him into a deck and it seems I'll never get to hear him attack. :(

I'm about 20 games in with the deck and nearly all have been against rush decks with only 4 non rushy decks. One he never showed up, the other conceded after I played him, one I killed them too early and the fourth I got to play him against a freeze mage and he was a 17/5 when I finally got to attack with him but she emoted well played as I attacked with him so I didn't get to hear it. I was so excited too.

I actually started a druid alarmo bot deck just to see if I could get him out more. It's hilarious what people will do to stop an alarmo bot. I have gotten hexes, fireballs, people ignoring my minions which are about to do 10+ damage to their face just to kill that alarmo bot.

figmentPez

Staff member
Overall I think I've been a very lucky bastard with my packs. There are cards I wish I had, or wish I had more of, but I really can't complain when the three legendaries I've gotten have been Ragnaros, The Black Knight and Ysera.

Overall I think I've been a very lucky bastard with my packs. There are cards I wish I had, or wish I had more of, but I really can't complain when the three legendaries I've gotten have been Ragnaros, The Black Knight and Ysera.
Yeah those are great legendaries. Ysera and Ragnaros have to be the best late game legendaries in the game. Ragnaros has single handly lost me so many games. I know I have put big game hunter in some of my late game decks just for him. I've even passed killing a few of the other giants when I had BGH in my hand because I wanted to save him for Rag.

So far my legendaries are King Mukla, Ysera and just recently Gruul. So far I've been averaging one about every 30 packs. It's going to take forever to get all of them that I want.

figmentPez

Staff member
Was playing casual today and ran into a mind-control gimmick Priest deck. What tipped me off that it was a gimmick deck? On turn 3 he buffed my Stoneclaw Totem to double it's health. Really? You just spent a card and 2 mana to create a DIY Shieldbearer... for your opponent. Okay.

Later he made an even more boneheaded move. He doubled the health of my Earth Elemental. Might have been great if it were turn 9 and he had a guaranteed takeover the next turn. It wasn't, it was turn 6 (and I had two hexes in my hand). Maybe he was hoping that I'd play a fourth minion and that he'd draw Mind Control Tech, but I have no idea why he thought giving it the buff preemptively would be a good idea. At that point I really wished I'd had my Crazed Alchemist, just to teach him a lesson. Do not turn your opponent's 7/8 minion into a 7/16 minion, for you risk taking 16 damage to your face.

Also, I'm really excited that Trump is going to do a ladder climb with a Shaman deck. I'll be very interested to see what cards he uses, and how to best make use of totems and whatnot.

Last edited:
Been watching Trump play Shaman. Just watching him play has improved my game. Oh, I also threw in a Bloodnight after facing a super annoying Paladin Divine Shield deck. Actually helped in my next game against a Priest.

Been watching Trump play Shaman. Just watching him play has improved my game. Oh, I also threw in a Bloodnight after facing a super annoying Paladin Divine Shield deck. Actually helped in my next game against a Priest.
I have incorporated at least one blood knight in all my decks now.

Ten packs in a row with nothing but commons and a rare. 40 dust. Le sigh!

Honestly, wasn't as frustrated as I was at #9 crap-pack.

Last edited:
If you only got 40 dust from ten packs, at least that means it was mostly cards you didn't have
What I mean is, the last pack was another in which I dusted everything for 40. It's been a pretty bad set of packs, to be sure.

I only need a few more common cards until those are complete. I have a LOT of rare, epic, and Legendary I need yet!

I guess I don't have enough experience against Rogue to know what a good hand would be. They'll either kill it or bounce it, right?

I guess I don't have enough experience against Rogue to know what a good hand would be. They'll either kill it or bounce it, right?
Well, Rogue, like Mage and Druid, can do 1 damage at any time with their hero ability. So Thalnos just dies immediately.