[Question] HDMI/Mini-Display Port Question

Dave

Staff member
Okay so I have the SUPER NICE LAPTOP and am going to use it for the Vive, but I have a slight issue. The Vive requires an HDMI input and the laptop has only one. It does have a mini-display port, so I guess I can use that. Before I go out & purchase a display port adapter, is it possible to display on both the Vive and the TV/projector? This is pretty important so I have to figure out a way to do it.

I hope it works easily, otherwise I might need to purchase an HDMI splitter.

I will be genuinely surprised if you can't, but I don't know if they'll be treated as separate displays or mirrored (or if you can have a second third* display attached while you use a Vive)

--Patrick
*because the Vive counts as two screens.

Okay so I have the SUPER NICE LAPTOP and am going to use it for the Vive, but I have a slight issue. The Vive requires an HDMI input and the laptop has only one. It does have a mini-display port, so I guess I can use that. Before I go out & purchase a display port adapter, is it possible to display on both the Vive and the TV/projector? This is pretty important so I have to figure out a way to do it.

I hope it works easily, otherwise I might need to purchase an HDMI splitter.
Yes. The vibe can use either hdmi or DisplayPort, but they only package the hdmi cable. You might find it cheaper and easier to buy the DisplayPort cable and leave the hdmi port on your laptop open for the projector. See this installation guide for info on the hdmi/DisplayPort options:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2001-UXCM-4439

The vibe supports second screen output natively and you can choose to output either a two eye or one eye output to a second display:

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3069445/mirror-htc-vive-screen-monitor.html

So you can either:

1) get a DisplayPort to hdmi adaptor, and hook the vive up to one and the projector to the other

Or

2) get a DisplayPort cable and hook the vive to the DisplayPort and the projector to the hdmi[DOUBLEPOST=1481260881,1481260833][/DOUBLEPOST]DisplayPort has a few different connector types though so make sure the cable has the correct connection for the laptop on one end and the correct connection for the vive on the other end.