Export thread

Halforums Movie Nights!

strawman

strawman

So! Let's watch some movies/TV/etc together!

tl;dr: look for bold headlines in posts in this thread, get the movie, and watch it at that time, posting comments on shoutbox as the movie progresses.

We need to pick a movie, a night, and a time. Then we'll all hit play at the same time and use the shoutbox to banter while the movie is playing. For the first movie or two we should probably pick something we've mostly all seen before, is readily available, and is fun or funny - more to kibbitz about. Also, no pausing - we want things to stay in sync within a minute or so.

It'll have to be late evenings on the east coast and early evenings on the west coast. I'm thinking 9 to 10pm eastern time, simply because my kids'll likely be mostly in bed by that time, and 6-7pm is probably as early as we can get for many of the folks on the western side of the country.

I don't want us to get caught up in long discussions about what movie and when and never have it happen, though, so while we will use this thread to discuss dates and movies for larger parties, feel free to announce your own smaller movie nights where you plan on being on halforums at the same time. Given enough notice, others might join you. It'll also provide more time variations since you might want to do an early east coast time, or a later west coast time. Who knows, if you do it early Saturday morning or afternoon you might be able to convince North_Ranger or bubble181 to join.

Try to use a large bold heading when announcing a movie night so it's easy to pick out. Something like:

Friday August 23, 10pm eastern time (7pm pacific time), Princess Bride
(1:39, Amazon rent $2.99)

Don't start the movie right at that time - plan on starting the movie 5-10 minutes after the listed time, which will give everyone the chance to get their video in their player, get on the shoutbox, and when the leader says "GO!" in the shoutbox everyone presses play - it'll lead to the best sync possible, given everyone's clocks are likely to be off by a minute or two. If your online service buffers for awhile at the beginning, play and then immediately pause it during this "get ready" part.

Try to announce movie times with as much notice as possible for greater participation, but don't shy away from giving only a few hours notice, you never know who might join you. Also let people know if the movie you've chosen is available on netflix, amazon, or hulu. Don't feel like you have to restrict this to movies - TV shows, press releases, anime, etc might be interesting to watch in a group. It'll be harder with prime time TV since the west coast is delayed, but some events like sports, live TV, and internet entertainment can be viewed at the same time without worrying about spoilers.

strawman

strawman

Dave

Dave

So when do you think we should start this?

Frank

Frank

This actually sounds pretty rad.

strawman

strawman

Well, for those who are free tonight, I'll be watching princess bride and I'll have the shout box open, so the bold announcement in the op is our first movie night, tonight, at 10pm/7pm.

If everyone interested posts days, times, and movies or genres they want to watch with others then it'll be easier to find good times for everyone.

My availability varies, but on most nights after 9pm, and most of the day Saturday are my best times. I typically don't watch horror or anything above PG-13, but other than that my movie interests are pretty broad. I'd enjoy watching young Frankenstein together in particular, that's one of my go-to group movies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, why do you people always have to do this stuff while I'm at work :p

strawman

strawman

@filmfanatic joined me for The Princess Bride tonight - its was lots of fun! The transcript of our discussion is in the shoutbox now, and will be archived in the shoutbox thread later tonight.

He suggested we put Errol Flynn's Robin Hood on our list of movies to watch together sometime.

I look forward to doing this more often!

Terrik

Terrik

Aw...another cool thing I can't join. I'LL BE THERE IN SPIRIT.

strawman

strawman

The transcript for tonight's movie starts halfway through this post, and continues on for several posts:

https://www.halforums.com/threads/shoutbox-archive.28556/page-7#post-1074275

Thanks @Dave for autoarchiving the shoutbox!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't know if I will be able to attend (life is ABSOCRAZILUTELY right now), but I will see whether I can, time permitting.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I wish I could have attended. But with everything going on I watched TV with my wife last night. She needed me more than you all. ;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

She needed me more than you all. ;)
Twoo Wuv.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

I wish I could have attended. But with everything going on I watched TV with my wife last night. She needed me more than you all. ;)
My wife slept on the couch in the same room that I watched the movie.

Still counts as a date.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I didn't find out about it until it had been over for an hour or two. Otherwise I would've joined in.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Per @filmfanatic's recommendation I'm planning on watching Errol Flynn's Robin Hood. To give people a fighting chance at seeing it with me, I'm scheduling it for next week in the evening.

Thursday August 29, 10pm eastern time (7pm pacific time)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn, 1939)

(1:42, Amazon rent $2.99)

Here's the movie on Amazon instant streaming, I don't see it on hulu or netflix:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventures-of-Robin-Hood/dp/B001NVIZ3E

Frank

Frank

I can't rent Amazon movies, but I can find a way to watch along. This sounds fun.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Work 2-11, have fun without me.

--Patrick

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Not sure if it's still the case or not, but when the Netflix app first launched on Xbox, you could invite party members to watch a movie & still voice chat over XBL (providing they had Netflix subs as well).

Frank

Frank

So, you have to have an X-box and X-box Live Gold?

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

So, you have to have an X-box and X-box Live Gold?
and Netflix, yes. Obviously not everyone will be able to get on board for that. But the OP mentioned rotating sources for viewing choices. I'm just suggesting that when the selection is available on Netflix, those with XBL can get together more easily while the rest can carry on via Shoutbox or Vent or whatever.

Shakey

Shakey

Sweet. Thursdays work a lot better for me. I'll try to get a hold of the movie.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think this would be way more fun with vent than just the shoutbox.

strawman

strawman

Probably!

Just Me

Just Me

Probably should be a combined event, so folks can send this around while watching, talking and laughing!

Gosh, I love this movie!
After everything else you also get Claude Raines and Basil Rathbone with it!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm not sure if I can do Vent, but I'll take certainly part in the shoutbox.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Hell, this sounds like fun. How do I join you guys on Vent? Also, where/what is shoutbox?

/behindthetimes

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

If you go to the main forums page, there is a box to the right of all the subforums. That's the shoutbox, a quick communication tool wherein we can all comment there.

strawman

strawman

The link to go to the shoutbox is gone at the moment, so you can follow filmfanatic's process, or just click this:

https://www.halforums.com/taigachat/

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Cool! How do I join on Vent? Once upon a time I had all the Vent info saved, but 2 computer changes has lost it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cool! How do I join on Vent? Once upon a time I had all the Vent info saved, but 2 computer changes has lost it.
I think there's a sticky for that somewhere.
(too lazy to look)

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ok, @blotsfan, you got me. I'm actually not too lazy to look.
It's just that Kati is trying to get me to go to the store so I really shouldn't be

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Oh sure, prioritize your marriage above your internet friends.[DOUBLEPOST=1377618996,1377618932][/DOUBLEPOST]https://www.halforums.com/threads/ventrilo-server-information.24696/

blotsfan

blotsfan

lol I didn't mean to click that disagree @PatrThom. Stupid fat fingers on mobile. I have no idea how to use mobile.

strawman

strawman

Reminder that tonight we're watching The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn, 1939), which can be rented online from Amazon ($2.99) and Youtube ($1.99)

Here's the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/movie/the-adventures-of-robin-hood

I'm sure those with more time than money on their hands will be able to procure other less expensive copies for tonight's viewing.

If no one has suggestions for other movies and times to watch together, I'll probably start cribbing from north rangers must watch list and choosing relatively random times.

Speak up if you have suggestions, or particular time requirements, I would love to have everyone participate, even if at different viewings!

Also, as a way to know what level of participation to expect at each viewing, if you plan on or think you might watch with us, please "like" the post announcing the time/movie so everyone can see who is planning on participating.

Emrys

Emrys

I've got to take a miss on this one but I'd love to join in on others.

Can we do "The Emperor's New Groove" one night?

Shakey

Shakey

I was planning on joining in, but I have to pick up a canoe tonight. I can't say no to a free canoe.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I was as well but have become busier than I expected. :( Oh well, maybe next time.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I'm getting relationshipped tonight.

strawman

strawman

Film fanatic and I watched Robin Hood last night, the transcript can be found in Dave's shout box archive thread.

Frank

Frank

Ah man, I was actually stoked to watch this. I'm never gonna be able to convince anyone I know to watch it with me and I haven't been able to sit through a movie on my own for years.

Sad face.
poop.jpg

strawman

strawman

Ah man, I was actually stoked to watch this. I'm never gonna be able to convince anyone I know to watch it with me and I haven't been able to sit through a movie on my own for years.

Sad face.View attachment 11670
Doomdragon, Shakey, and Patrthom were all interested but had to miss too. There's no reason you couldn't have another movie night with the same movie.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I don't have any definite requests yet, but once October rolls around I suggest that maybe we watch some horror films.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I don't have any definite requests yet, but once October rolls around I suggest that maybe we watch some horror films.
second

Piotyr

Piotyr

strawman

strawman

That sounds like fun. When should we watch it?

It's available on Netflix streaming, and can be rented on Amazon, youtube, itunes, and many others. Also available on DVD from Amazon starting at $5.86 (prime eligible).

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/4eb0467ff5f807ce0f000001/clue

Piotyr

Piotyr

What's easier for people to make, weekday evenings or weekends?

Let's tentatively go for Thursday, 10pm Eastern Daylight time (GMT -4) (9pm Central, 7pm Pacific, 10am Friday Beijing time)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can actually do this on Thursday. And Clue is by far one of my favorite movies.

strawman

strawman

Ok, here's the official announcement... thingy:
Thursday September 5, Clue, 10pm eastern time (9pm central, 7pm pacific, 10am Friday Beijing)
(1985, 1:34 running time, Netflix streaming, Amazon & Youtube rent $2.99, others)
Shoutbox and vent. If you are going to try to attend, "brofist" this post so we have an idea of who's watching. Get your movie set up to run by the time shown above, simultaneous start will occur on shoutbox between 5-10 minutes after the above time so everyone is synchronized. @Piotyr will be in charge of this one, I can't guarantee I'll be there, but I'll try.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ok, here's the official announcement... thingy:

Shoutbox and vent. If you are going to try to attend, "brofist" this post so we have an idea of who's watching. Get your movie set up to run by the time shown above, simultaneous start will occur on shoutbox between 5-10 minutes after the above time so everyone is synchronized. @Piotyr will be in charge of this one, I can't guarantee I'll be there, but I'll try.
Ooh this would be an awesome one for me... Still not sure if I'll have internet though. Will brofist if I'm able...

strawman

strawman

Watch it at a friend's house. Ask them if you can use their computer during the movie. Surely they'll just go, "Well, this is Chad, so it's not that unusual..."

Or take a laptop with headphones to starbucks. At 10pm. Free wifi at mcdonalds? Too bad the libraries aren't open that late, unless you are at a university...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Watch it at a friend's house. Ask them if you can use their computer during the movie. Surely they'll just go, "Well, this is Chad, so it's not that unusual..."

Or take a laptop with headphones to starbucks. At 10pm. Free wifi at mcdonalds? Too bad the libraries aren't open that late, unless you are at a university...
I happen to work at a university... But my laptop runs netflix very poorly. Lots of constant buffering. Anyway, shouldn't be an issue after all, as I just got a phone call from the internet guy, he's getting it up and running now!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I presume you mean September 5th.

I will endeavor to be there - I might be punch-drunk tired, but I will try to be there. I get off work at 0700, then go back in at 1030.

For folks with Android phones, there is an app called "Mangler" that runs as Ventrilo, with the same server info etc... I've used it for our Cards Against Humanity nights.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hopefully I will be done with my homework by then. I plan on watching, probably with shoutbox up, but it will be completely contingent on whether or not I finish up here at the library. My grammar professor is assigning us a crapton of homework.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm ready and waiting on Vent!

Bowielee

Bowielee

You do know you're over an hour early, right :p

Piotyr

Piotyr

Four minutes...actually.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Doh, i was looking at the eastern time and I'm in central, derp.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Bam, solid movie night complete. Even got two folks new to the movie to watch it.

strawman

strawman

Something terrible has happened here.

:minionhappy:

Bones

Bones

so whats up for this week?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm not sure if anything has been set yet. If I may offer a suggestion, what about Big Trouble in Little China?

strawman

strawman

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/4eae94c0f5f807744100000a/big-trouble-in-little-china

No one is streaming it for free, but it can be rented from a multitude of places for $3. If you buy the blu-ray from Amazon it includes a free 24 hour rental coupon so you can stream it from Amazon upon purchase, and get the blu-ray when it ships later.

Is Thursday going to work for people, or shall we look at other days? I started Thursday as it was convenient for me, but we don't have to stick with it. On the other hand, having a consistent movie night might actually increase participation over time.[DOUBLEPOST=1378776007,1378775783][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, it's number #56 on this venerable list:
https://www.halforums.com/threads/1-001-movies-to-see-before-you-croak-halforums-edition.26738/

There are only 450 movies on there currently. Once per week and we could finish them in a decade!

Bones

Bones

I am cool with that, what time are we looking to start?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm still good for Thursday. Maybe the usual time, 10 PM eastern/7 PM Pacific?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...So, are we good for this as this week's movie?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I will be at the fair that day. Not the faire, the fair.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I don't know if anyone will be interested in joining me, but this Friday the 13th I'm going to get drunk and watch Jason movies, there's a few on Netflix.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

If we are going with Big Trouble in Little China, I won't be able to organize it. I've been called out to join family to see a late screening of The Family tomorrow night.

strawman

strawman

I won't be able to make it, gotta work on my project.

Bones

Bones

I am up for being in "charge" if people want to meet in shoutbox and vent

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

That is alright for me.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey there, looks like my plans have changed at the last moment, so I will be joining in. If you wouldn't mind still hosting this, Bones, that would be great. I'll try to make sure I take charge for the next one.

In the meantime, hopefully people can turn out for Big Trouble in Little China, tonight at 10 PM eastern/7 PM Pacific.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey there, folks. We had another fun night of movie watching with Big Trouble in Little China, but now we'd like to open up to popular opinion. Which of the two following would you like to watch at the next movie night?

1. The Mupper Movie (1979)

or

2. Street Fighter (1994)

Let us know so we can decided on what to watch next.

strawman

strawman

I imagine I'd enjoy muppets more than street fighter, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy street fighter too and it's one I haven't seen. Sooo... I vote for either!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

"For me, it was Tuesday."

Unless it's on Netflix, though, I really don't have a way to watch it... legally.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

"For me, it was Tuesday."

Unless it's on Netflix, though, I really don't have a way to watch it... legally.
I checked and it appears to be on Netflix.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

... Intradasting...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

also for some inexplicable reason all the Friday the 13th movies are off Netflix at the moment, so I'm gonna roll solo unless anyone is insane like me and owns literally every movie with Jason Voorhees.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I imagine I'd enjoy muppets more than street fighter, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy street fighter too and it's one I haven't seen. Sooo... I vote for either!
You might enjoy watching The Muppet Movie, but you will probably enjoy commenting on Street Fighter even more.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You might enjoy watching The Muppet Movie, but you will probably enjoy commenting on Street Fighter even more.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Are you sure that the Street Fighter movie up on Netflix is the live action Van Damme movie, because they've had multiple animated movies on Netflix in the past.

BTW, I will MAKE time to watch Street Fighter.

Frank

Frank

PatrThom

PatrThom

Are you sure that the Street Fighter movie up on Netflix is the live action Van Damme movie, because they've had multiple animated movies on Netflix in the past.
I've seen both. The live action one is better, if you can imagine it.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, the consensus seems to be for Street Fighter. I suggest that we make that our next movie night screening.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I love the Street Fighter movie. Love in quotes. Super ironic quotes.

But for real, that movie is fun to watch for a number of reasons.

Thing is, I've seen it too many times and I'll be out of town anyway, so may need to pass on that one.

Bowielee

Bowielee

FYI, I did double check and it is the live action Jean Claude Van Damme/Raul Julia movie that they have up on Netflix.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Alright, folks. Here is the screening for this week:

Street Fighter (1994)
Day/Time: Thursday, 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific

I'll have Vent open to listen, but I'll talk in shoutbox.

strawman

strawman

It's available on netflix, and for rental from a variety of other services:

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/4eaeb4a5f5f807285500001d/street-fighter

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This is a reminder of Street Fighter showing tonight. I hope people will turn out for this screening.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Homework got to be too much, and I really wanted to do it.

Bones

Bones

you guys suck, just FF and I chillin out

strawman

strawman

I didn't realize it was this late... I'm still at work.

Sigh...

Frank

Frank

I got girlfriended again and ended up going out to dinner and going shopping.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey there, everyone. Another screening has come and gone. Now, let's start thinking of the next movie night. Here are some possible options:

1. The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
2. The Goonies (1985)
3. Speed Racer (2008)

What do you think? Any of these options good, or something else you might suggest?

Shakey

Shakey

Fuck yeah Goonies! I'll do my best to be there next week whatever it is. I was planning to be there this week, but stuff got messy.

strawman

strawman

Goonies!

Bones

Bones

I never saw speed racer, but I vote for any of the three

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm really sorry that I missed Street Fighter. I was in the computer lab at school when you were watching it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, it sounds like people are excited for The Goonies. Are we good for Thursday at 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific?

Bones

Bones

yeah, but will the people who vote actually show up? :3

PatrThom

PatrThom

Y'all keep holding these things when I can't come.

Granted, my schedule right now is a big, fat, blur, so there's that.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Alright. For this week:

The Goonies (1985)
Day/Time: Thursday, 10 PM Eastern/7 PM Pacific

I'll have Vent open, but I'll primarily talk through Shoutbox. I really hope that people turn out for this week's screening.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The only issue I have with it at the moment is that my only copy of The Goonies is on VHS and I don't have a VCR anymore.

I'll probably have to:
pirate.jpg

Frank

Frank

NOOOO! Poison isn't the answer!

strawman

strawman

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/4eb03aa5f5f807b763000000/the-goonies

It's on amazon (free for prime subscribers, $1.99 to rent for non prime), and youtube ($1.99), and a number of others for $2.99.

Also if you buy the DVD of it from Amazon ($4.99) then they give you a 24 hour rental steaming token you can redeem later so you can watch it while the DVD is being shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Goonies-Sean-Astin/dp/B000P0J09W

Also, for those who haven't seen it and don't currently have a desire to see it, keep in mind it's widely considered a classic and it's worth watching at least once:

You may be surprised to discover that the director of the Lethal Weapon movies and scary horror flick The Omen, Richard Donner, also produced and directed this classic children's adventure (which, by the way, was written by Donner's screen-wizard friend Steven Spielberg). Then again you may not. The Goonies, like Donner's other movies, is the same story of good versus evil. It has its share of bad guys (the Fratelli brothers and their villainous mother), reluctant-hero good guys (the Walsh bothers and their gang of friends), and lots of corny one-liners. Like in an old-fashioned Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew plot, the Goonies need to solve a problem: a corrupt corporate developer has bought out their neighborhood and plans to flatten all their homes. Luckily, the beloved gang stumbles on a treasure map. In the hopes of finding the treasure to buy back their houses, the Goonies embark on their quest through underground passages, aboard pirate ships, and behind waterfalls. This swashbuckling and rollicking ride was also a great breeding ground for a couple of child actors who went on to enjoy numerous successes in adulthood: Sean Astin (Rudy, Encino Man) and Martha Plimpton (Pecker, 200 Cigarettes).

Bowielee

Bowielee

LoL, that must have been written a long time ago if it lists Sean Austin and Martha Plimpton's successes as Encino Man and 200 Cigarettes.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Plus didn't it help put keep Cindi Lauper in the limelight?

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey there, everyone. Considering the poor showing at the past few screenings, I've pulled the plug on tonight's screening of The Goonies. We can watch it some other time. For the meantime, until we do another screening, I'd like for us to settle on what night of the week would be best for most Halforumites to get together and watch a movie. When would work best?

Bones

Bones

I am good for just about any night post 5 pm central.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My schedule is too fluid right now for me to commit. If this is still going once things settle down, I'm in.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

What PatrThom said. With school currently in session, I can't predict when I will be busy with homework and when I won't.